• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

New card:

Cew2dGXWEAA9SNu

Apparently the text translates to "Double this minion's Attack at the start of your turn."

the new better shade. oh man, that + inner fire or w/e. if they can't take care of the 8/8, then you get that 16/8 next turn

Apathy

"let me change your mind"

It boggles my mind why they don't just start it at 3. If that is played naked vs priest it's going to get cabaled or just pained

Pooya

If you don't buff it, it's really weak. That makes it a usually late game play not a turn 6 play... there are better dragons at that stage of the game to play, 9-10 mana. It's more reasonable to play this in paladin, unless you want to play inner fire I guess.

Cat Party

Hearthpwn says this is "Nightmare Dragon."

I like it. Pretty good synergy potential with several classes. We needed a 6-drop dragon other than Chillmaw.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think its pretty cool. I think it will work in Dragon Priest well. Could also be the card that finally makes Dragon Paladin work. Only two classes I could see playing it right now, Unless Blizzard tries to push more Dragon Synergy onto Warrior (They did give him Alex's Champion)

If you don't buff it, it's really weak. That makes it a usually late game play not a turn 6 play... there are better dragons at that stage of the game to play, 9-10 mana. It's more reasonable to play this in paladin, unless you want to play inner fire I guess.

Considering Velen's Chosen is being rotated out and that most of the dragon cards have a fair amount more health than attack I could honestly see Inner Fire actually being a thing, especially with this card in your deck.

That said, I'm not even opposed to just dropping Nightmare Dragon by itself against a non-Priest.

Ridli

Nice dragon. Definitely built for buffs/synergies. Something to add to those decks that try and run the valk twins and djinn. Or even just a lance carrier.

Or maybe confuse/crazed alchemist if you really wanna yolo.

Apathy

I think its pretty cool. I think it will work in Dragon Priest well.

Yeah, at 6 it's only competing with Drakonid Crusher. having so much health also is nice to keep alive with lesser heal

Considering Velen's Chosen is being rotated out and that most of the dragon cards have a fair amount more health than attack I could honestly see Inner Fire actually being a thing, especially with this card in your deck.

That said, I'm not even opposed to just dropping Nightmare Dragon by itself against a non-Priest.

Yeah, 16 attack on your turn if you can somehow get it on this thing before your turn finishes and it does not get killed. Kinda nuts

gutshot

I think dropping it onto an empty board on turn 6 is a strong play. Worst case scenario is it eats some form of hard removal that then can't be used on Ysera. And if not, you have a 4/8 next turn and then you can buff, trade, whatever.

Worth noting about that Dragon, if it does get stolen by Cabal, it stays at 2 on your next turn. Depending on what class you're playing, that might make a difference.

It's really weak without an attack buff. Anything already on the board can attack it and only take 2 damage. Then, when it does get a chance to attack, it's relatively weak at only 4. It seems kind of clunky to me. If you really need a 6 drop dragon, I think Drakonid Crusher would be more reliable.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think dropping it onto an empty board on turn 6 is a strong play. Worst case scenario is it eats some form of hard removal that then can't be used on Ysera. And if not, you have a 4/8 next turn and then you can buff, trade, whatever.

I agree. Against a couple classes it's a bad play, but against others it's really fine. Obviously you should build your deck with the idea of buffing this, but in certain matchups you can drop this alone on turn 6 and get away with it often enough.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Worth noting about that Dragon, if it does get stolen by Cabal, it stays at 2 on your next turn. Depending on what class you're playing, that might make a difference.

Cabal into Cabal into Cabal into Cabal.

I wonder if this card would warrant running Shadow Word Fear for non-dragon Priest.

Ridli

I don't know if it's good enough, but dragon consort leading into next turn nightmare drake+buff is nice. Ideal scenario might be coin consort turn 4 then nightmare+might turn 5.

I'm sure kibler will give it a shot at least.

gutshot

I don't know if it's good enough, but dragon consort leading into next turn nightmare drake+buff is nice. Ideal scenario might be coin consort turn 4 then nightmare+might turn 5.

Or Consort on 5, coin Nightmare+Seal of Champions on turn 6.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

What it really needs is a 2 mana buff card.

Oh, and while its super high risk, you could also run Crazed Alchemist with this.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Guys, that dragon seems really really bad. Like I don't understand why everybody is excited.

Buffing something the same turn you play it sounds like a great way to get punished with a silence. And if you don't buff it.... then it's a 2/8 or 4/8 for 6 mana....

The card seems super clunky.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Guys, that dragon seems really really bad. Like I don't understand why everybody is excited.

Buffing something the same turn you play it sounds like a great way to get punished with a silence. And if you don't buff it.... then it's a 2/8 or 4/8 for 6 mana....

Well, they gave Druid a card that gets a bonus if it buffs a Beast. Maybe Paladin will get something similar, since it looks like it was an Archetype Blizzard was trying to push with BRM. 2 mana spell that goes like "Give a minion +2/+2. If it is a Dragon, give it Divine Shield"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I assumed they were just taking Trump's incredibly heavy hints that silence was getting nerfed into oblivion to heart.

Dahbomb

I refuse to even talk about that card.

This card is very obviously the tester for whether Master of Disguise, silences and BGH get nerfed or not.

This card being printed means Master of Disguise is getting nerfed. Otherwise this is basically like setting up unavoidable lethal. Not something that Blizzard would want to promote.

This card is just a 6 mana "stats". Not that impressive to be honest without the Master of Disguise interaction. I guess it's cool that Dragons are getting a solid body at the 6 mana slot but at 5 and up you need special effects.

Levi

Banned
New card excitement overshadowed my 3-legendary arena deck, but if it anyone cares I piloted it to 9 wins and lost my last game to a paladin who never traded, just went face every turn, and I didn't draw a single taunt or heal. Very disappointing way to finish that run.

However, I got a Golden Wildwalker as a reward and in my GvG pack a golden legendary--a Gazlowe.

If they ever reveal an actual enticing legendary for Old Gods I can craft it for free now!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I refuse to even talk about that card.

*proceeds to talk about that card*

This card is just a 6 mana "stats". Not that impressive to be honest without the Master of Disguise interaction. I guess it's cool that Dragons are getting a solid body at the 6 mana slot but at 5 and up you need special effects.

It's not even a solid body. It's a 2/8 for 6 mana. A midrange deck will laugh and just kill it and take basically no damage. Aggro won't give a shit. Even if it survives to attack it's like a vanilla 4/8, which is still below curve at 6 mana even before you realize that it was a 2/8 on your opponent's turn.

You HAVE TO buff it on the same turn you play it otherwise it's dumpster tier.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder how...

Maybe Silence only lasts one turn?

I'm guessing Owl will only target specific key text, but will still be a full silence. Like "Silence a Death Rattle Minion" or "Silence a Minion with Taunt". The Taunt I think is the most likely, since it would parallel how there are two neutral options to deal with Weapons, with a 2 mana soft counter, and a Legendary hard counter.

Djinni and Dragonkin sorcerer both are better than this card! I'm not sure what some see in this.

I think the really big HP pool will make it likely to survive several turns in Priest.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EleGiggle Turn 7 Nightmare Dragon - Conceal - Prep - Cold Blood EleGiggle

Assuming they keep the "soul" of Master of Disguise, she'll remain a 4/4 for 4 who can stealth for a turn, so you can shadowstep her to reuse her on the Nightmare Dragon.

Dahbomb

It still has 8 HP which makes it hard to kill for a 6 drop. Can't exactly BGH it either.

When you are winning this card can seal out the game quick. I can't really discount this card even though my gut is saying this card is not all that good. Cards that need buffs to be excellent often aren't that great in HS.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If only oil wasn't rotating, imagine the T9 plays

Dragon - Prep - Oil (+3) - Cold blood (+4) - Conceal

Next turn it's a 18/8 with a 4/2 weapon up. FeelComboMan.

It still has 8 HP which makes it hard to kill for a 6 drop. Can't exactly BGH it either.

When you are winning this card can seal out the game quick. I can't really discount this card even though my gut is saying this card is not all that good. Cards that need buffs to be excellent often aren't that great in HS.

It's hard to kill, but it doesn't really put up much of a fight with only 2 attack. And it's going to have to survive at least 2 turns before it becomes a serious threat without some kind of buff played on it.

Ridli

The folks that like nightmare dragon do so because it speaks to their inner Johnny. This is one of the best parts of the release cycle to be a Johnny. Within a month after release you'll be forced to bend to the super-optimzed decks of the ladder. But right now all opportunities are open, and man, wouldn't it be cool if...

Pooya

I don't think silence effect itself would change, it's needed, how else you deal with a lot of broken combos. More likely cards with silence instead would get changed and they are quite a few of them. Silence, mass dispel, earthshock etc. The bulk of nerfed cards would be about silence. They are very under costed, it's supposed to be a control tool, not an aggro tool.

Tarazet

I think its pretty cool. I think it will work in Dragon Priest well. Could also be the card that finally makes Dragon Paladin work. Only two classes I could see playing it right now, Unless Blizzard tries to push more Dragon Synergy onto Warrior (They did give him Alex's Champion)

Alexstrasza's Champion is not enough to make the dragon archetype work in Warrior, even though it is a GREAT card. But it is a great card in a bad deck that doesn't hang together if you try to stuff dragons into it. I don't think this new one will change that.. there are, realistically, too many good targets for Inner Rage without this guy and you can't run 6 copies of it.

Dahbomb

Yeah, 6 mana 2/8's have traditionally been very good in Hearthstone.
Maexxna doesn't have the game ending burst that this Dragon can have. That's what I am talking about.

I still think the card is probably not going to be good but this is the type of card that you kinda need to be careful of until the full set is released.

Tarazet

Maexxna doesn't have the game ending burst that this Dragon can have. That's what I am talking about.

I still think the card is probably not going to be good but this is the type of card that you kinda need to be careful of until the full set is released.

Grom is a staple and he is a 4/9 for 8 mana. But he doesn't just have an effect on that turn, where this dragon doesn't AT ALL.. he represents stupendous reach that can be used right away. That's what is realistically needed to offset such a terrible stat line. Even so, depending on what happens with BGH, this dragon could be THE primary finisher for a Dragon Priest deck, or it could simply be unplayable. Playing two cards for a chance at lethal, but getting it killed for free is crippling.

I suppose you could wait until your turn to Inner Fire it, but shit, you could do that with an Oasis Snapjaw and get a 7/7. Doesn't seem too appealing.

Dahbomb

Using Innerfire on the Dragon turns it into a 8/8 and if it survives then it hits for 16 the turn it can attack. That's completely not the same as a Snapjaw.

Tarazet

Using Innerfire on the Dragon turns it into a 8/8 and if it survives then it hits for 16 the turn it can attack. That's completely not the same as a Snapjaw.

If you Inner Fire it on the turn you played it, then it can be killed by BGH before it can attack. If not, you get a 16/8. High risk high reward. If you leave it alone so as to avoid that possibility, then you get a 4/8 or you can buff it to an 8/8 (assuming it took no damage). That's why this card is so vulnerable to what gets done with the nerf list.

Top Bottom