• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I also got a few classic packs looking for nerfed cards. Instead I found something much better.

4FqlL7G.png

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Hearthstone Fam, what the hell is up with this patch? They released the set for crafting and the nerfs as well but no cards? Why the heck would they do that? Is this the promise of making Freeze Mage playable that they extracted from Mike Morhaime? This seems seriously poorly planned out.

Hearthstone Fam, what the hell is up with this patch? They released the set for crafting and the nerfs as well but no cards? Why the heck would they do that? Is this the promise of making Freeze Mage playable that they extracted from Mike Morhaime? This seems seriously poorly planned out.
The new set releases in 2 days. They're just giving people time to adjust and make plans, I think. It's a good idea.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So which nerfed cards are safe to dust? I'm thinking Arcane Golem for sure? Flurry? Or should I just dust extras?

Golem and flurry are safe bets. I'd also dust Lore since I can't imagine that seeing play.

Though it's safe to dust it all really, since worst case you recraft a card for the exact same amount of dust you got for it. There's no downside.

Dahbomb

So which nerfed cards are safe to dust? I'm thinking Arcane Golem for sure? Flurry? Or should I just dust extras?
All are safe to nerf.

From my play session today if you REALLY want to keep some of those cards because they might see play... I would say keep one copy of BGH, one copy of Owl, both Jugglers and MAYBE Keeper of the Grove. Definitely DE the rest.

All are safe to nerf.

From my play session today if you REALLY want to keep some of those cards because they might see play... I would say keep one copy of BGH, one copy of Owl, both Jugglers and MAYBE Keeper of the Grove. Definitely DE the rest.

I mostly agree. I think I would be slightly hesitant about dusting Ancient of Lore, but otherwise I think this is solid advice.

I think blade flurry might still get play at some stage and holy wrath moltens are a big buff.

Even leper gnomes might see play in eboladin still. It'll trigger knife juggler, get divine shield, make divine favor trigger and still do 2 damage.

rukland

So I broke but a couple packs with gold. After dusting that stuff I am just shy of 8k gold now.

I have no decks even built at the moment and really I am not sure what I even want to play come Tuesday.

I think I am going to have to see what I get out of the new set and go from there. I guess back to not playing the game I go until then.

greepoman

Tidesoftime just went from rank 800 legend to 3 in just over an hour or so with aggro shaman. He just stopped cause he said he'd have to kill himself if he got to 1 with aggro shammy lol.

Non-stop Warriors on ladder right now.

Legend is actually pretty devoid of Warrior players. Or I'm not running into them.

I started playing Murloc Paladin because I figured it would be a Warrior-fest.

Edit: I thought I got a lot of dust from 2x Golden Mountain Giant and 2x Golden Force of Nature. Some of you guys with 20k are crazy. :p

Moonlight

Banned
I love that they chose to nerf FoN instead of Savage Roar. All this delicious dust.

Also, man, I went to my Shaman collection expecting to craft tons of shit in anticipation for Midrange/Control Standard fun, but it turns out I actually have like... doubles of most Shaman cards worth having just from the packs I've opened since I started playing. Like, I always thought I had bad luck with pretty much all my pulls but I guess it all stacks up here. I could have built Aggro Shaman like, a while ago, and always just assumed I didn't have enough of a collection to bother. That's, uh, kinda cool.

My two ladder decks, Aggro Druid and Secret Paladin are gutted though, RIP. Not sure what to build while we're still a couple days out from Old Gods...

Sheroking

Legend is actually pretty devoid of Warrior players. Or I'm not running into them.

I started playing Murloc Paladin because I figured it would be a Warrior-fest.

I think matchmaking is a bit borked.

I'm getting different rank 7 warriors constantly, while Kripp is getting rank 10 warlocks constantly on stream. I'm currently rank 8 and he's rank 18. Weird.

Iryx

Got 4800 dust from the nerfs, that's pretty nice. Not going to be that comfortable spending it all though until I've seen which of the nerfed cards will still see play.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
For those who got captains parrot, did you get two of them?

Man I have to craft greenskin just to get him... Might spend some coins and try to get lucky.

For those who got captains parrot, did you get two of them?

Man I have to craft greenskin just to get him... Might spend some coins and try to get lucky.

Yepp. :p I got my Golden Captain's Parrot, but I actually have to craft Coldlight Seer to get Gold Murk Eye. :l

Dahbomb

I think matchmaking is a bit borked.

I'm getting different rank 7 warriors constantly, while Kripp is getting rank 10 warlocks constantly on stream. I'm currently rank 8 and he's rank 18. Weird.
I am having same problem. I think it's combination of not as many people playing right now and other people having unpatched versions.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am having same problem. I think it's combination of not as many people playing right now and other people having unpatched versions.

I don't know, it's been like 6 hours now. I think it's broken, and matching based on the hidden MMR. All my matches tonight have been pretty hard, no matter what rank the other player is.

Sheroking

I don't know, it's been like 6 hours now. I think it's broken, and matching based on the hidden MMR. All my matches tonight have been pretty hard, no matter what rank the other player is.

For the record, I was playing Tempo Mage almost exclusively and getting Warrior.

Which supports the Reynad theory.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Man, even with nerfed BGH, I still can't get Fel Reaver Mech Mage to work.

Man, even with nerfed BGH, I still can't get Fel Reaver Mech Mage to work.

That's because it just isn't a very solid deck. Since you are playing Mechs, your minions are typically high health/low attack minions capable of pushing multiple attacks without being killed but with the downside that you must run many of them to get value from your Tribal cards. Fel Reaver is a strong finisher that is a liability the longer the game goes on.

This results in a scenario where you are encouraged to push for early damage/fight for the board and then drop Fel Reaver and switch to an aggressive stance where you give up the board in order to close out the game. The issue is that you don't have the tools to race once you give up that board like a Shaman does. Face Shaman has more than enough burn in the form of Doomhammer, Lava Burst, Rockbiter, and Crackle along with Feral Spirits to close up the game despite not having the board. Mage only has Fireball and Frostbolt for pushing; Goblin Blastmage for clearing the board. Not to mention what happens if your opponent has removal for Fel Reaver - minion based removal being much more common than weapon removal. Is your list running Arcane Missiles or Arcane Blast? Those might be good options where you try to make your deck act more like Face Hunter, but you can never go fully in that direction because none of the mechs provide guaranteed damage ala charge minions and Leper Gnome.

Do you mind if I take a look at your list and try to refine it a bit?

Fel Reaver only ever worked in aggro druid due to innervate. Even then there was always the possibility of T3 BGH counter.

It was ran more in Mech Shaman where it was a top tournament deck for months until pure Face builds pushed the turn duration even lower.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The VA lines are pretty disappointing IMO. Lots of generic monster noises, a good number of cards just have old VA or Sound Effects with filters on them.

Corrupted Healbot just makes noises, was really hoping for some play on words.

Moonlight

Banned
The friendlier the emote is, the more BM it is, tbh. An emote like 'I love it!' or 'you rock!' would be the strongest BM imaginable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
That's because it just isn't a very solid deck. Since you are playing Mechs, your minions are typically high health/low attack minions capable of pushing multiple attacks without being killed but with the downside that you must run many of them to get value from your Tribal cards. Fel Reaver is a strong finisher that is a liability the longer the game goes on.

This results in a scenario where you are encouraged to push for early damage/fight for the board and then drop Fel Reaver and switch to an aggressive stance where you give up the board in order to close out the game. The issue is that you don't have the tools to race once you give up that board like a Shaman does. Face Shaman has more than enough burn in the form of Doomhammer, Lava Burst, Rockbiter, and Crackle along with Feral Spirits to close up the game despite not having the board. Mage only has Fireball and Frostbolt for pushing; Goblin Blastmage for clearing the board. Not to mention what happens if your opponent has removal for Fel Reaver - minion based removal being much more common than weapon removal. Is your list running Arcane Missiles or Arcane Blast? Those might be good options where you try to make your deck act more like Face Hunter, but you can never go fully in that direction because none of the mechs provide guaranteed damage ala charge minions and Leper Gnome.

Do you mind if I take a look at your list and try to refine it a bit?

Adding more low cost spells makes a lot of sense. I might try that tomorrow.

Probably not worth refining it too much though. That deck's only viable for 1 more day, until WotOG further buffs non-mech decks in wild and outright removes mech decks in standard. Just seems like a potentially cute counter to the current post nerf meta.

Is there anyone from europe who got the balance update? A friend of mine got it, with all the card nerfs, but all the nerfed cards are eft unchanged for me.

Adding more low cost spells makes a lot of sense. I might try that tomorrow.

Probably not worth refining it too much though. That deck's only viable for 1 more day, until WotOG further buffs non-mech decks in wild and outright removes mech decks in standard. Just seems like a potentially cute counter to the current post nerf meta.

That's true. I built a list. I played it. It didn't work out very well.

But it inspired me to play Mech Shaman which I haven't dropped a game with yet.

Top Bottom