• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Tarazet

Is rogue OK as a starting class or should I switch?

Rogue is like playing chess on a tightrope compared with any other class, but play what you like. If it appeals to you, learn how it works. Nothing in Hearthstone is really that hard.

georly

Kibler reviews a bunch of the Old Gods cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otn6-9s_pqk

Surprisingly, he thinks Tentacles for Arms is not as bad as everyone thinks.

He also plays a shadow priest, so he equates it to shadow form as being 'infinite value.'

I can sorta maybe see it get play in a deck designed to constantly dump your hand and you always have a weapon available, but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'll say it again, card would be *slightly* better if deathrattle also said "and it costs (1) less." You're still paying 5, then 4, before it's "ok" at 3 mana. most cards are like 1 mana off or one stat off from being good/great. I think this one is 2 off.

georly

I wonder if Tentacles for Arms will make cards like Orgrimmar Aspirant more popular.

It still only has 2 durability, so at best you get a 3/2 then a 4/1, if your aspirant miraculously survives. Adding upgrade into the mix is ok, too. Again, none of it great enough to warrant the entire deck catering to it.

If we somehow get more weapon related cards, it's possible you might see a weapon warrior, but we'd need stuff like shield slam but for weapons. Deal damage x durability to an enemy character, destroy the weapon or something. Pirate weapon warrior could work with the right cards, and I *might* (MIGHT) throw tentacles for arms in, but still probably not.

gutshot

It's usable in Fatigue/Reno Warrior as a one of but aside from that the card is not that good.

True. But that means it is not the worst weapon in the game, as a lot of people were saying when it was revealed. It at least has a potential deck it can fit into. It's no Charged Hammer or Poisoned Blade.

ViviOggi

Coin Tentacles -> Aspirant + Armor Up -> "I choose death"

Dawg

I made the Classic Rogue deck with a few upgrades (SI:7 Agents) and won >50% of the time in casual matches.

Want to go ladder tho. Also, would you recommend crafting SI;7 if I don't own em already?

This actually brings me to my next question: what's the best place to go to for deckbuilding/crafting tips? Like, how do I know which epic cards of mine are shit and could as well be disenchanted. I know the pc version has addons for this but I play on iOS mobile.

True. But that means it is not the worst weapon in the game, as a lot of people were saying when it was revealed. It at least has a potential deck it can fit into. It's no Charged Hammer or Poisoned Blade.

I think Charged Hammer is a better weapon than Tentacles for Arms. For 1 less mana, you get 2 more duration for a total of 4 more damage. After you spend the weapon, it upgrades your hero power. The new hero power gives you 2 damage that can be directed anywhere (even targeting things behind taunts) for 2 mana. It also allows you to damage minions without taking face damage. That hero power is way better than a second equip of TfA in both damage per mana spent and flexibility. Charged Hammer's real problem is that Shaman can't play the long game like that.

Dahbomb

Charged Hammer is actually pretty good in Control Shaman or Malygos Shaman. The strength of that deck is kinda suspect but the card by itself is good.

I wonder if Tentacles for Arms will make cards like Orgrimmar Aspirant more popular.
No, Ogrimmar sucks.

It still only has 2 durability, so at best you get a 3/2 then a 4/1, if your aspirant miraculously survives. Adding upgrade into the mix is ok, too. Again, none of it great enough to warrant the entire deck catering to it.

If we somehow get more weapon related cards, it's possible you might see a weapon warrior, but we'd need stuff like shield slam but for weapons. Deal damage x durability to an enemy character, destroy the weapon or something. Pirate weapon warrior could work with the right cards, and I *might* (MIGHT) throw tentacles for arms in, but still probably not.
I want Warriors to get Mass Execution: deal your weapon damage to all enemy minions.

Want to go ladder tho. Also, would you recommend crafting SI;7 if I don't own em already?

This actually brings me to my next question: what's the best place to go to for deckbuilding/crafting tips? Like, how do I know which epic cards of mine are shit and could as well be disenchanted. I know the pc version has addons for this but I play on iOS mobile.
I don't have a ton of Rogue experience at this point - I'll let someone else answer that question. I can just say that I think SI:7 is a great card, and he provides a lot of early game tempo.

Charged Hammer is actually pretty good in Control Shaman or Malygos Shaman. The strength of that deck is kinda suspect but the card by itself is good.

No, Ogrimmar sucks.
He sucks right now...!

My only problem with Charged Hammer is that it has too many hits, and Control Shaman likes Doomhammer as well. I would like for the two cards to have less overlap.

Dahbomb

I want Warriors to get Mass Execution: deal your weapon damage to all enemy minions.
You mean the Warrior version of Blade Flurry that doesn't hit face?

Mass Execution should be "Destroy all damaged minions".

My only problem with Charged Hammer is that it has too many hits, and Control Shaman likes Doomhammer as well. I would like for the two cards to have less overlap.
Charged Hammer into Doomhammer is really good actually. You want to get rid of the Charged Hammer as soon as possible and Doomhammer destroys the Hammer giving you the buffed hero power much quicker.

Pooya

Reached dumpster ranks again.

1459349490-2.jpg

deck

1459349484-1.jpg

I was watching Dog explaining his decks from Insomnia, he said he went with this deck and it really helped him get that far as it's really good against zoo and paladin actually and I agree. The most likely way standard list loses is that it draw unplayable hands and spells, with this you can use your mana so much better. I was running one war before and it was doing work, so let's run two and cut one combo. The deck is really good in mirror too, normal list doesn't have war and druid can't deal with war. It's bad against keeper of uldaman but that's not all that common in secret paly, mostly just one and they waste it because they don't expect this.

Dog list had Aspirant instead of starfall, I was losing some games not drawing swipe, I though f it, I'm going to be that one guy that plays starfall on ladder, actually worked very well. I didn't see much value from aspirant.

Fireblend

Banned

I recommend playing Ranked instead of Casual for a newbie. I have a much better winrate in ranked up to rank ~15 than I do in casual.

I also wouldn't disenchant/craft anything right now with the new set and standard coming. You don't know which ignored cards are going to become must-haves, or the opposite. I guess to know which cards to have you could look through meta snapshots like Tempostorm's.

You mean the Warrior version of Blade Flurry that doesn't hit face?

Mass Execution should be "Destroy all damaged minions".

Charged Hammer into Doomhammer is really good actually. You want to get rid of the Charged Hammer as soon as possible and Doomhammer destroys the Hammer giving you the buffed hero power much quicker.
Seems like a waste to just toss the weapon like that. I'd rather it just be a 3/2 or 4/2 weapon.

Mass Execution as "destroy all damaged minions" might be too good with Whirlwind.

Dahbomb

Seems like a waste to just toss the weapon like that. I'd rather it just be a 3/2 or 4/2 weapon.

Mass Execution as "destroy all damaged minions" might be too good with Whirlwind.
So basically it would be exactly like Equality Consecrate or Equality Pyromancer...

Warrior does need a good AOE though. I think I would make it like 6 mana. It's a symmetrical board clear like Brawl.

georly

Warrior wouldn't be the first class w/ a 2 card clear-all. Major downside is this combo would kill your own minions, so it's decidedly worse than equality consecrate. Make it a 3-4 mana combo and that's really good. Also, divine shield protects against it. Not as good against certain classes and cards.

CoolOff

I don't think Tentacles for Arms is good, but the comparison with Headcrack where they deemed Headcrack brokenly OP at 2 mana makes TfA for 2.5 mana for the same effect sound reasonable.

I actually think it's really good in arena as well.

Pachimari

So you asked for my deck yesterday, and I'm basically using the Basic Mage deck when I play it in online ranked to get it to lvl. 20 and actually just trying to win, but I lose all of my matches:

EhV3amk.jpg

Pachimari

Do you only have basic cards?

I don't know. I think so. I only started out a week ago. I have won cards here and there, and unlocked all the basic ones for the Mage I guesss, which is lvl 14.

But I guess I should still just stay to playing against the AI and level up all of my basic heroes to lvl 10, so I'll get a free pack of cards every week.

Dahbomb

I don't know. I think so. I only started out a week ago. I have won cards here and there, and unlocked all the basic ones for the Mage I guesss, which is lvl 14.

But I guess I should still just stay to playing against the AI and level up all of my basic heroes to lvl 10, so I'll get a free pack of cards every week.
You should have Flamestrike, Frostbolt and Water Elemental to put in that deck by now.

Pooya

Play flamestrike, water elemental and yeti. Those are basic. If you have Azure Drake, add those too. Cut snapjaw, nightblade and raid leader, play some good cards instead. There are better options in basic set even.

wait a bit, I build you a decent basic list.

So you asked for my deck yesterday, and I'm basically using the Basic Mage deck when I play it in online ranked to get it to lvl. 20 and actually just trying to win, but I lose all of my matches:

EhV3amk.jpg

Replace Raptor with Acidic Swamp Ooze, Snapjaw with Water Elemental, River Croc with Frostbolt, Night Blade with Chillwind Yeti, Murloc Raider with Kobold Geomancer, and Raid Leader with Iron Fur Grizzly. That should significantly improve the deck. It's probably a good idea to find room for at least 1 Flamestrike. Maybe drop a Novice Engineer for it.

Pachimari

Oh, I haven't even played around with changing up the decks. I should do that today. Thanks for the suggestions both of you!

I actually like Night Blade though. :(

georly

You need to make a few swaps.

Nightblade > flamestrike
Snapjaw > Yeti
Raid leader > Water elemental
Murloc raider > swamp ooze
Arcane Explosion > frostbolt

Those should all be free.

When you get a couple hundred dust:

arcane missiles > Sorceror's apprentice
Bloodfen Raptor > mana wyrm

here play this, you should see much better results.

1459352662-1.jpg

Blizzard and its deck, facepalm. I forgot how bad those are, like they didn't even try to help starters.

Yeah, this is probably better than what i'm suggesting. If you play well and play enough, you can probably get to below rank 15 with that, maybe rank 10 if you're persistent.

Oh, I haven't even played around with changing up the decks. I should do that today. Thanks for the suggestions both of you!

I actually like Night Blade though. :(

Night blade may seem fun, but it's not good. :/ It costs 1 more mana than yeti and has 1 less health. If your yeti attacks face because it survived, it's already better than nightblade.

Pooya

here play this, you should see much better results.

1459352662-1.jpg

Blizzard and its deck, facepalm. I forgot how bad those are, like they didn't even try to help starters.

Ridli

Yeah a compairson to head crack or shadow form is better than Firey war axe. It's more like a weird spell that happens to equip in the weapon slot.

Is rogue OK as a starting class or should I switch?

A starter rogue is certainly valid. But keep in mind that once you have access to preparation rogue takes a very different turn.

bjaelke

"Welcome to this very dangerous brawl event! Construct a deck with all your best spells, but this brawl is too intense for small minions. You may only use minions that cost seven of more!"

georly

"Welcome to this very dangerous brawl event! Construct a deck with all your best spells, but this brawl is too intense for small minions. You may only use minions that cost seven of more!"

Ugh a make your own deck brawl again ;_; And one with a 'meh' twist. Not crazy. In fact, just tones the game down.

Ok, so spells that summon minions should be good, as are single target removal, I assume. Paladin should be good, making guys each turn.

what's stopping freeze mage from being the best in this brawl. Think I might skip this one since I can't SMOrc my way to an easy 1 win

georly

what's stopping freeze mage from being the best in this brawl. Think I might skip this one since I can't SMOrc my way to an easy 1 win

Well, you can't play emperor, but that's not a huge deal.

Wonder if you can play discounted giants. I assume so, right? It just won't let you put small minions in, right?

No owl, No BGH - maybe this is preparation for standard.

Top Bottom