• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Dahbomb

Well, you can't play emperor, but that's not a huge deal.

Wonder if you can play discounted giants. I assume so, right? It just won't let you put small minions in, right?

No owl, No BGH - maybe this is preparation for standard.
Discounted stuff works as does Discovering stuff that is cheaper.

So you can get stuff like Raven Idol and play a low cost minion.

Finally a brawl without Flamewakers.
AAAAYY

L
M
A
O

what's stopping freeze mage from being the best in this brawl. Think I might skip this one since I can't SMOrc my way to an easy 1 win

Control Warrior seems like it would be strong in this. Just Armor Up until you're ready to drop Alex and then Grom with the second swing of Death's Bite. There are no weapon kill cards in this Brawl except for Sabotage, so Gorehowl can get crazy value. That could keep Freeze Mage at bay.

Reached dumpster ranks again.

1459349490-2.jpg

deck

1459349484-1.jpg

I was watching Dog explaining his decks from Insomnia, he said he went with this deck and it really helped him get that far as it's really good against zoo and paladin actually and I agree. The most likely way standard list loses is that it draw unplayable hands and spells, with this you can use your mana so much better. I was running one war before and it was doing work, so let's run two and cut one combo. The deck is really good in mirror too, normal list doesn't have war and druid can't deal with war. It's bad against keeper of uldaman but that's not all that common in secret paly, mostly just one and they waste it because they don't expect this.

Dog list had Aspirant instead of starfall, I was losing some games not drawing swipe, I though f it, I'm going to be that one guy that plays starfall on ladder, actually worked very well. I didn't see much value from aspirant.

I decided to give this a shot because my soul could only take so much of secret paladin and I've found it to be quite effective so far.

Control Warrior seems like it would be strong in this. Just Armor Up until you're ready to drop Alex and then Grom with the second swing of Death's Bite. There are no weapon kill cards in this Brawl except for Sabotage, so Gorehowl can get crazy value. That could keep Freeze Mage at bay.

oh yea nice, I'll try that as well

Dahbomb

This brawl is unfriendly to new players, thats for sure, I don't think they get enough high end minions to do it
A newbie can play a form of Ramp Druid by using Wild Growths, Raven Idols, Living Roots and Nourish then ramping into Ironbarks, Krakens, Force Tank Max etc. Still be at a disadvantage but this early on people are using garbage trying to see what's good.

I think you can also make a steal Priest deck. You can steal a win with Mind Games since everyone has huge minions... doesn't matter what else you have in the deck.

You can also make a Mirror Entity, Duplicate, Effigy deck with Mage. Basically just put down all of these secrets and hope your opponent plays a huge minion into it. Then you keep Duplicating the big minions while freezing their board with spells.

Apathy

A newbie can play a form of Ramp Druid by using Wild Growths, Raven Idols, Living Roots and Nourish then ramping into Ironbarks, Krakens, Force Tank Max etc. Still be at a disadvantage but this early on people are using garbage trying to see what's good.

I think you can also make a steal Priest deck. You can steal a win with Mind Games since everyone has huge minions... doesn't matter what else you have in the deck.

Raven idols are LoE, Roots are TGT, new players won't have any of it.

Dahbomb

OMFG HOLY WRATH PALADIN!!!

IT'S TIME SON!!!!

Raven idols are LoE, Roots are TGT
So? They are common cards and not that hard to acquire. One is an adventure card a lot of newbies have adventures by now too.

You can also make a Mirror Entity, Duplicate, Effigy deck with Mage. Basically just put down all of these secrets and hope your opponent plays a huge minion into it. Then you keep Duplicating the big minions while freezing their board with spells.

Toss in Unstable Portal. It should be extra broken if it gets you a decent card.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think Face Warrior would be great in this. Fiery War Axe, Mortal Strike, Arcanite Reaper, Upgrade, Heroic Strike, Bash, Death's Bite, and Grom should keep you dealing damage every turn. There's no Healbots or Sludge Belchers, so there's not a whole lot to get in your way and only 1 weapon kill card.

Pooya

Power of the wild is essentially a 2 drop too. No other class can play minions that early. Actually you can win with roots, Power of the wild and soul of the forest or into savage roar. Don't even need big guys to win.

Apathy

OMFG HOLY WRATH PALADIN!!!

IT'S TIME SON!!!!

So? They are common cards and not that hard to acquire. One is an adventure card a lot of newbies have adventures by now too.

We have an example of a new player in this thread in Madridista, as a new player definitely won't have the cards to do this brawl. The whole point is that they should be fun and accessible and this is neither.

Dahbomb

We have an example of a new player in this thread in Madridista, as a new player definitely won't have the cards to do this brawl. The whole point is that they should be fun and accessible and this is neither.
Tough then. Most of these build your own deck Brawls are tough for new players. Always have been.

They should have double Brawls each week, one that is pre made decks and another is build your own decks.

As someone who likes the deck building process... the build your own deck Brawls always excite me more (until someone busts out Flamewaker and breaks the Brawl).

This was a weird brawl, not sure I like it that much. I tried ramp druid and then decided to go for mage with mirror entity, ice block, freeze, and burn. Had no idea how it worked cause I ended up playing a shadowform priest that conceded after I started tossing a lot of burn at his face.

georly

I don't think EVERY brawl should be accessible to every player. It'd be nice if it was 50/50. It's one of the reasons people like the brawls where you don't have to make a deck. The ones where you do almost always favor those with more cards, but I wouldn't want that to go away. You get some amazing youtube videos from them, which are a load of fun to watch.

You need a level 20 hero to even participate in Tavern Brawl so he couldn't anyway.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, this is the first brawl with a real deck building limit. I guess its also to see what sort of reaction happens if they made one not everyone is actually able to participate in.

Dahbomb

So, this is the first brawl with a real deck building limit. I guess its also to see what sort of reaction happens if they made one not everyone is actually able to participate in.
Nah I would say the one with 1 mana 1/1 minions was worse than this as was the 10 mana start Brawl.

The 1 mana 1/1 minion Brawl was basically "you don't have Alex/Maly/Faceless? Screw you get out of this Brawl!"

Apathy

Nah I would say the one with 1 mana 1/1 minions was worse than this as was the 10 mana start Brawl.

The 1 mana 1/1 minion Brawl was basically "you don't have Alex/Maly/Faceless? Screw you get out of this Brawl!"

I dont have any of those 3 and that brawl was fine

Dahbomb

I dont have any of those 3 and that brawl was fine
Every Brawl is fine at the start but towards the end of it when people fine tune their stuff it gets really hard to win with rinky dinky stuff.

The start is the best time to squeeze out a win in the Brawl. Who knows... you might queue in as a Druid and someone auto concedes. Or sometimes you queue into someone experimenting with the Brawl.

And the Brawl is supposed to use the Casual MM system meaning new players are supposed to be playing new players.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Coin innervate nourish into nourish into Chromaggus into double Cenarius into force roar for a million damage.

Easy 40 du--

PVk8e4m.png

Oh.

buff illidan pls

Apathy

None of the normal streamers were on so i go and click on forsen's stream. I left that shit right quick. Who can tolerate that shit? Between the chat going faster than the speed of light and some terrible music blaring, it was just the worst

Acerac

Banned
The folks that like nightmare dragon do so because it speaks to their inner Johnny. This is one of the best parts of the release cycle to be a Johnny. Within a month after release you'll be forced to bend to the super-optimzed decks of the ladder. But right now all opportunities are open, and man, wouldn't it be cool if...

I took a self silencing druid to rank 5 this month and it was fucking hilarious.

I've got Legend, I don't need that shit again. As long as a deck is fun and can take me to rank 5 with ease it's more than good enough for me.

...aaaand terrible pack. :(

Gotta get my pack tho ;_;

I mean in that you are supposed to only use spells + 7+ cost minions, but the way to win is to get around the minion restriction. I just won on turn 5 by playing Entangled Roots, Innervate, the 3/2 panther on turn 1. Then on turn 2 I put MotW on one of the roots. Then on turn 3 I put MotW on another root.

Apathy

...aaaand terrible pack. :(

I mean in that you are supposed to only use spells + 7+ cost minions, but the way to win is to get around the minion restriction. I just won on turn 5 by playing Entangled Roots, Innervate, the 3/2 panther on turn 1. Then on turn 2 I put MotW on one of the roots. Then on turn 3 I put MotW on another root.

Yeah, just another dumb brawl where one or two classes have a distinct advantage. This time it's just more annoying than other ones

Fishlake

Secret mage is amazing in this brawl run all the secrets and watch the game turn against the opponent.

Spell bender and counter ruin many peoples days on top of vaporize effigy and mirror.

Yeah, just another dumb brawl where one or two classes have a distinct advantage. This time it's just more annoying than other ones
Hmmm. I think each class has a few things going for it:

Priest: stealing big stuff is good; mind control can be realistically put in the deck twice.
Druid: innervate and wild growth, spell minions.
Hunter: best spell minions?
Paladin: tokens and buffs.
Mage: secrets guaranteed to be useful.
Rogue: Sap and Vanish are strong.
Warrior: Execute is really good.
Shaman: spells + weapons might end the match before turn 7.
Warlock: life tap without fear for 6 turns; imp-plosion is strong.

I could see the steward of darkshire being played because of it's synergy with hero power. It also makes some early game cards work a bit better in the late game. That kind of synergy helps control decks imo. I'm not certain if it's good enough over other cards though.

rukland

Built a dumb hunter deck for brawl because I didn't care enough to put thought into on my phone. Won my first game and got my 40 dust. Done with this brawl.

Apathy

BTW, anyone keep up with the asian, specifically chinese HS community. I was reading some post on reddit regarding some ban waves for win traders over there that was exposed a few weeks back

Top Bottom