• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Portugeezer

Holy fuck!

5GbOazb.jpg

Does the Y'Shaarj trigger battlecries? I would guess not.

br3wnor

Holy fuck!

5GbOazb.jpg

Haha you lucky bastard, that's awesome. Stuff like this makes me have faith even after I've opened 39 packs and only have a couple left, literally anything is possible on any given pack.

Got Golden Twins last night from one of my 10 'free' packs. Kind of sucks because I had crafted him about 2 hours earlier, but gonna keep both for now and if I really keep Twins then dust the normal and keep the golden. Still have about 7k dust to play with as it it is.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got a Soggoth from my free packs. He seems mediocre :(

Magnus

What's your decklist?

Just a bunch of the aggro and tempo/midrange decks near the top of Hearthpwn. I haven't had the chance to get too creative and just wanted to try and win some games quick to get all the free packs before really experimenting this weekend.

(I'm a dirty netdecker this week, I suck)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Twins and evolve is insane

On a similar note, Feral Spirit and Evolve, not quite as good. I had one guy do that to me and he got a Fencing Coach and a Razorfen Hunter. Strict downgrade, lol.

Gav47

Got Mukla, Rag and Xaril out of 58 packs

Healing seems to be really hard to come by now that Healbot is gone, ran into tonnes of people playing Earthen Ring Farseer

Strider

Rogue is fun as hell with these expansion cards though. Bladed Cultist, Xaril, Undercity Hukster and Journey Below are all solid.

Van Cleef is also punished waaaaay less now.

Zemm

I know it's early but I'm not feeling any of the decks I've played, the closest I've come to liking a deck is the hunter deathrattle, everything else is so boring (especially the C'Thun decks) or just not what I want to play. I still need to try some mage and rogue.

Spent day 1 on c'thun rogue.

Blade of c'thun is nuts and shadow strike is a star. But overall it doesn't really work. Needs a heal and better draw to be consistent.

Netdecks seem to be beast hunter, reno c'thun lock, mid shaman and druid c'thun.

I probably saw those decks 80% of the time.

I didn't lose a game as face shaman. I think the other shaman decks will fade very quickly.

Constructed still sucks.

I think a Deathrattle Priest should work well in this meta. The new Priest legendary would work nicely with it as well. Going to try crafting one of those soon in addition to a Midrange (Tempo?) Shaman. C'thun Warrior looks solid as well.

I usually play Warrior/Priest/Shaman, so this expansion seems to have checked all the boxes of happiness for me. Priest is maybe the worst, but I think we can pull something together. I also like Corrupted Healbot in Priest with Auchenai.

Tarazet

I know it's early but I'm not feeling any of the decks I've played, the closest I've come to liking a deck is the hunter deathrattle, everything else is so boring (especially the C'Thun decks) or just not what I want to play. I still need to try some mage and rogue.

My impression has been the opposite, there's a lot of good stuff but even though Princess Huhuran is solid, Hunter Deathrattle seems fairly weak. Probably because I don't have N'Zoth, but hinging your deck on a single 10 mana legendary is always touch and go.

Dahbomb

It's much better to just play Beast Hunter and just slap Huhuran in there. Infested Wolf and Highmane are good enough targets and Huhuran is a perfectly valid turn 5 play.

Zemm

My impression has been the opposite, there's a lot of good stuff but even though Princess Huhuran is solid, Hunter Deathrattle seems fairly weak. Probably because I don't have N'Zoth, but hinging your deck on a single 10 mana legendary is always touch and go.

I'm actually having quite a bit of success with deathrattle hunter. You can get some crazy value at the start and then again at 10 mana with N'Zoth, he's won me a few games alone. Huge Toad living up to his name, LOOK AT THAT FACE!

pantsmith

Rogue is fun as hell with these expansion cards though. Bladed Cultist, Xaril, Undercity Hukster and Journey Below are all solid.

Van Cleef is also punished waaaaay less now.

Loving rogue so far - shadowcaster, xaril (my first golden legendary!), thistle tea and hukster are super fun cards. Just need to solve for a bit more card draw and healing.

Brann + that card that heals 2 per enemy minion is a neat full heal, but often too little too late.

Strider

Spent day 1 on c'thun rogue.

Blade of c'thun is nuts and shadow strike is a star. But overall it doesn't really work. Needs a heal and better draw to be consistent.

I agree Blade of C'Thun was underrated by many... It's not terrible from my experience which is what most card reviews I saw were saying. The version of C'Thun Rogue I've been trying only has 6 C'Thun cards which only includes the "best" neutrals IMO. Basically the cards I could potentially play even if they didn't have C'Thun text on them. IMO you really don't need C'Thun to have that big of an attack value for him to be a win condition... But Blade of C'Thun can often make him huge anyway. Anyway here's the first draft of the deck I've been playing:

eCHmGH0.png

I think once a better deckbuilder than myself comes along and refines the idea something like this could be pretty strong in general... But your right in that healing is a huge weakness and in what is probably an inevitable aggro/midrange Shaman meta it won't be playable.

For now I'll enjoy making huge Van Cleefs with all my toxins + Journey Below's though lol You can straight up win games by turn 3 with combinations of backstab, Bladed Cultist, Van Cleef and Journey Below.

Is that a premade recipe? Damn, I wanna try it. Couldn't log in last night.

Yeah, Ancient Hordes for Warlock. There's also a built in Evolve one for Shaman that I shall be trying out.

I got the Warrior Legendary. Might actually try to craft a deck on my own for the very first time around it lol

I agree Blade of C'Thun was underrated by many... It's not terrible from my experience which is what most card reviews I saw were saying. The version of C'Thun Rogue I've been trying only has 6 C'Thun cards which only includes the "best" neutrals IMO. Basically the cards I could potentially play even if they didn't have C'Thun text on them. IMO you really don't need C'Thun to have that big of an attack value for him to be a win condition... But Blade of C'Thun can often make him huge anyway. Anyway here's the first draft of the deck I've been playing:

I think once a better deckbuilder than myself comes along and refines the idea something like this could be pretty strong in general... But your right in that healing is a huge weakness and in what is probably an inevitable aggro/midrange Shaman meta it won't be playable.

For now I'll enjoy making huge Van Cleefs with all my toxins + Journey Below's though lol You can straight up win games by turn 3 with combinations of backstab, Bladed Cultist, Van Cleef and Journey Below.

Yep agree with all that, especially that c'thun doesn't need to be "that big". I'd also say Xaril is unplayable, because everybody is rocking the 2 damage c'thun minion.

My list removes the weapon buffs for Sir Finley since I think warlock or druid works better right now (the extra health is a must).

Full list:

1x sir finley
2x backstab
1x prep (for sprint)
2x shadowstep
2x eviscerate
2x sap
2x beckoner
1x fan of knives
1x shadow strike
2x disciples
1x farseer
2x si7
2x twilight elder (may sub these guys out)
1x xaril (but he'll be gone tomorrow)
2x dark iron skulker (I wish this did 3 :| )
1x sylvanas
1x sprint
1x twin emperors
2x blade of c;thun
1x c'thun

It seems to beat priest c'thun, renolock and shaman mid range. I have beaten some druids, but if they get a good draw it is all over.

Aggro destroys it.

What I found didn't quite work out was brann + stealth. It made for some impressive 84 damage c'thun turns (my pb for today), but it is just way too greedy.

ZealousD

Call of the Wild might actually be more disgusting than Dr. Boom and Mysterious Challenger. Card is absurd.

Dahbomb

So for old players, how has this expansion, the release and the first day compared to the past ones?
A lot of people online are using copy past deck recipe list that Blizzard gave which is making it easy to play against vs TGT where you had less of an idea of what people had in their decks.

Though unlike TGT there's a clearly over powered class this time around.

Call of the Wild might actually be more disgusting than Dr. Boom and Mysterious Challenger. Card is absurd.

For what it is worth, the twin emperors basically stop it dead.

So while it is crazy good, I think it is one of those cards that will be crazy only in specific metas. The hunter decks that smashed me today? They didn't really need it.

Hupsel

Dragon Priest is one of my fav decks, I am getting mixed results. Love the new priest cost zero card lol, fun to use. Got Tirion twice. Just sucks that Holy Nova isnt a good board clear and as a priest I have a hard time having board presence :/

Apathy

A lot of people online are using copy past deck recipe list that Blizzard gave which is making it easy to play against vs TGT where you had less of an idea of what people had in their decks.

Though unlike TGT there's a clearly over powered class this time around.

People seem general happy with the expansion, even rogues that were salty with the nerf to BF are finding new things they like. Everyone seems to really enjoy yogg as well. Was the communities outlook to the old expansions as happy int he honeymoon phase?

Alright, so I am doing everything I can to make a Shadow Priest deck. Right now I am running it with C'Thun, and I have a positive winrate, but I am failing to maintain card advantage in a lot of cases. This is especially true when I face Ramp C'Thun Druid, which is probably going to be a mainstay in this meta.

On one hand, my inclination is to bulk up with more tanky minions to trade better and maintain the board. On the other hand, that seems to go against what a Shadow Priest does, because I won't be able to heal up these tanky minions like a normal Priest can.

This is my current deck:
2x Circle of Healing
2x Beckoner of Evil
2x Museum Curator
2x Shadow Word: Death
2x Shadowform
2x Disciple of C'Thun
2x Twilight Elder
2x Auchenai Soulpriest
2x C'Thun's Chosen
2x Excavated Evil
2x Twilight Darkmender
2x Entomb
2x Cabal Shadow Priest
1x Ysera
2x Mind Control
1x C'Thun

I have about 3200 dust to spend to polish it. This is a main deck I would like to use if I can make it viable. Some notes on my experiences:

C'Thun's Chosen and Disciple of C'Thun are fantastic cards that usually get good value.
Twilight Elder and Beckoner of Evil usually underperform. Twilight Elder especially.
Mind Control has won me many games. Mind Control Ragnaros, C'Thun, Grom, etc.
C'Thun has a tendency to leave one minion left with 1 HP that can kill me, lol. :-/
I struggled a lot until I added the Auchenai Soulpriest + Circle of Healing combo.
I used Holy Fire for a while, but so many minions are X/6 that it wasn't working out.
Cabal Shadow Priest sits in my hand a lot of games with nothing to do because the meta is C'Thun-oriented right now, but when she gets play, she kicks butt. I love my steal...girl (Dahbomb knows I HATE playing against this card).
Excavated Evil has proved to be essential; I don't run enough minions for Holy Nova to be worthwhile, I think.
I am absolutely 100% putting Brann in the deck. His synergy with everything is amazing.
I have thought about adding Twin Emperors, but that goes back to tanky + no healing = good or bad?
Twilight Darkmender saves lives. With Brann, even moreso!
Ysera is debatable. I half have her included because she gives synergy with Museum Curator when I draw Chillmaw and she has great value.
Shadow Word: Pain, Shadow Word: Horror, and Shadow Madness all sat dead in my hand most games. I overdid it with anti-weak minion control. I am not keen on putting those cards back in, though Shadow Word: Horror won me a game by wiping a board full of Divine Shield minions, so I don't think the card is bad. I could see myself teching 1 in.

Cards I have considered putting in over Disciple of C'Thun and Beckoner of Evil:
Brann
Confessor Paletress (I do not have her right now)
Prophet Velen (I do not have him right now)
Darkshire Alchemist (more healing once I go Shadowform, which is usually late game)
Shifting Shade (good value)
Lightwell (I know it sucks, but I love the idea behind this card, haha)
Thoughtsteal (value!)
Forbidden Shaping (I have one of these; I used it once at 10 mana and got a second C'Thun...still lost because no battlecry, so I am frowning on this card right now)
Crazed Worshipper (taunt to help keep me alive since I have none, builds up C'Thun)
Twin Emperor (obvious)
Don't suggest Reno Jackson. I tried it and didn't like it.

Right now I'm liking either:
-2 Disciple, -2 Beckoner, +1 Brann, +1 Confessor Paletress, +1 Prophet Velen, +1 Twin Emperor

OR

-2 Disciple, -2 Beckoner, +1 Brann, +2 Crazed Worshipper, +1 Twin Emperor

The first emphasizes Shadowform's value over time, and provides an alternate win condition, and the second emphasizes tankiness while buffing C'Thun more.

I would appreciate the advise from experienced Priests on the board - this is my first time playing the class seriously.

I could drop the C'Thun aspect of the deck, but it has been pretty successful so far, and I adore C'Thun much more than I thought I would. Oh yeah, and Shaman has been super free with this deck so far. I haven't struggled too much with aggro, and I think Brann will make that even easier. I don't have the Crazed Worshipper, Twin Emperor, Velen, or Confessor, and I only have 3300 dust (just recounted), so I pretty much get one shot at this. I can DE some golden cards and probably get enough for 3 legendaries if that's the best path to go.

On a similar note, Feral Spirit and Evolve, not quite as good. I had one guy do that to me and he got a Fencing Coach and a Razorfen Hunter. Strict downgrade, lol.
Yeah, you have to be careful with Overload cards and Evolve. That's probably why Blizzard thought the card would be okay.

Dahbomb

People seem general happy with the expansion, even rogues that were salty with the nerf to BF are finding new things they like. Everyone seems to really enjoy yogg as well. Was the communities outlook to the old expansions as happy int he honeymoon phase?
The Timmies getting to play for free with Cthun is making them happy but once Cthun gets old then people will see the ugly side of the expansion.

Might actually be worse for control decks than it has ever been.

Yeah give it a couple of days.

If by day 3 all we see is the same four decks (druid c'thun, aggro hunter, aggro shaman and renolock), people might start to notice how many fewer options standard actually has.

Lack of healing and taunts is really noticeable to me.

ZealousD

Submitted for you all's approval, I suggest we stop calling on curve drops things like Dr. 5 or Dr. 6 or whatever.

From now on, they should be called "Call of the 5" and "Call of the 6".

Dahbomb

Submitted for you all's approval, I suggest we stop calling on curve drops things like Dr. 5 or Dr. 6 or whatever.

It will always be Dr. Out of respect for the unnerfed one.

Man Wild must be so god damn degenerate right now with Hunters. Might actually be tier 1 with the god curve.

Apathy

It will always be Dr. Out of respect for the unnerfed one.

Man Wild must be so god damn degenerate right now with Hunters. Might actually be tier 1 with the god curve.

Yeah I asked earlier if anyone had stepped foot back into wild, want to hear experiences

Shouldn't we name them after the new unstoppable druid legendary? We could call them "yet to be played 4", or "completely missing in action 3".

Top Bottom