• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Dahbomb

By the way there's no need to play around health totals against Renolocks/Handlocks, if you think they don't have Reno then go all in. I don't think anyone is running Molten anymore. Makes them even more free to aggro and no massive heal from Healbot. They basically even more ride or die by Reno.

bjaelke

Dragon Priest is one of my fav decks, I am getting mixed results. Love the new priest cost zero card lol, fun to use. Got Tirion twice. Just sucks that Holy Nova isnt a good board clear and as a priest I have a hard time having board presence :/

The new 4 mana board clear has been doing okay in my Reno Priest deck so far.

I don't want to nuke the page with a second huge post, but if folks would go back a page to read and give me feedback on my Shadow Priest reflections, I would really appreciate it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202026877&postcount=10544

Also, it's worth noting that one reason this deck is likely superior to Reno Shadowpriest is that Brann + Twilight Darkmender is basically Reno Jackson in healing power levels. So against aggro you can save Brann for the big "Reno" heal, but without the downside of playing only one of each card.

You'd have to play a C'Thun Shaman though which I don't know if that's any good. It probably is because Shaman is stupid.

Turns out a 2/3 taunt for 2 mana is pretty good lol

Evolve C'Thun Shaman could most likely work. A lot of the C'Thun cards are "good enough" as Kripp has stated, but with evolve you can then try and get more value out of them.

C'Thun doesn't need to be a 25/25 minion to get a good game swing out of him, so having a few choice cards to buff him / provide some good counters to things might make up for not having as many overload options you see in most Evolve decks.

As for my Evolve deck (shamelessly stolen and adapted from a few decks I've seen here and on HearthPwn), I'm finding myself using overload minions a bit too much for evolve to be super useful.

Like, I don't want to evolve my feral spirit wolves because they're undervalued for the cost as a result of overload. Same for things like totem golem and the new Flamewreathed Faceless.

But, when they're low on health it can lead to some clutch plays, and my other minions boosting my magic damage means my 2 overload lightning storm hits as hard as flamestrike, which is neat.

I might play around with eternal sentinel and / or flametongue totem to keep my mana overload managed a bit better.

Holy shit if you have a golden Doomcaller it gives you a golden C'Thun

Now that's value. Golden C'Thun doesn't even show when you buff it.

Alright, so I am doing everything I can to make a Shadow Priest deck. Right now I am running it with C'Thun, and I have a positive winrate, but I am failing to maintain card advantage in a lot of cases. This is especially true when I face Ramp C'Thun Druid, which is probably going to be a mainstay in this meta.

On one hand, my inclination is to bulk up with more tanky minions to trade better and maintain the board. On the other hand, that seems to go against what a Shadow Priest does, because I won't be able to heal up these tanky minions like a normal Priest can.

This is my current deck:
2x Circle of Healing
2x Beckoner of Evil
2x Museum Curator
2x Shadow Word: Death
2x Shadowform
2x Disciple of C'Thun
2x Twilight Elder
2x Auchenai Soulpriest
2x C'Thun's Chosen
2x Excavated Evil
2x Twilight Darkmender
2x Entomb
2x Cabal Shadow Priest
1x Ysera
2x Mind Control
1x C'Thun

I have about 3200 dust to spend to polish it. This is a main deck I would like to use if I can make it viable. Some notes on my experiences:

C'Thun's Chosen and Disciple of C'Thun are fantastic cards that usually get good value.
Twilight Elder and Beckoner of Evil usually underperform. Twilight Elder especially.
Mind Control has won me many games. Mind Control Ragnaros, C'Thun, Grom, etc.
C'Thun has a tendency to leave one minion left with 1 HP that can kill me, lol. :-/
I struggled a lot until I added the Auchenai Soulpriest + Circle of Healing combo.
I used Holy Fire for a while, but so many minions are X/6 that it wasn't working out.
Cabal Shadow Priest sits in my hand a lot of games with nothing to do because the meta is C'Thun-oriented right now, but when she gets play, she kicks butt. I love my steal...girl (Dahbomb knows I HATE playing against this card).
Excavated Evil has proved to be essential; I don't run enough minions for Holy Nova to be worthwhile, I think.
I am absolutely 100% putting Brann in the deck. His synergy with everything is amazing.
I have thought about adding Twin Emperors, but that goes back to tanky + no healing = good or bad?
Twilight Darkmender saves lives. With Brann, even moreso!
Ysera is debatable. I half have her included because she gives synergy with Museum Curator when I draw Chillmaw and she has great value.
Shadow Word: Pain, Shadow Word: Horror, and Shadow Madness all sat dead in my hand most games. I overdid it with anti-weak minion control. I am not keen on putting those cards back in, though Shadow Word: Horror won me a game by wiping a board full of Divine Shield minions, so I don't think the card is bad. I could see myself teching 1 in.

I strongly suggest making space for 1 Thoughtsteal. I'm not sure where; are all the C'thun minions necessary? I'd dump one of them or dump a Mind Control for the Thoughtsteal. You might also find adding in an Elise helps you late-game after C'thun is gone and you only have small C'thun-buffers left in-hand.

But, definitely, Thoughtsteal will help with your card advantage concerns. Elise would help a bit too. Hell, you might try adding in Shifting Shade - it's like a mini-Thoughtsteal, but with less tempo loss to help you deal with mid-range decks.

I strongly suggest making space for 1 Thoughtsteal. I'm not sure where; are all the C'thun minions necessary? I'd dump one of them or dump a Mind Control for the Thoughtsteal. You might also find adding in an Elise helps you late-game after C'thun is gone and you only have small C'thun-buffers left in-hand.

But, definitely, Thoughtsteal will help with your card advantage concerns. Elise would help a bit too. Hell, you might try adding in Shifting Shade - it's like a mini-Thoughtsteal, but with less tempo loss to help you deal with mid-range decks.
That's an interesting thought. I could do:
Should I do -1 C'Thun, -2 Beckoner, -2 Disciple, -2 Twilight Elder, -2 C'Thun's chosen

AND

+1 Velen, +1 Confessor, +2 Thoughtsteal, +2 Shifting Shade, +2 Tournament Medic, +1 something else?

Maybe C'Thun is a bad direction to go in for this deck, and I should keep him to Druid. I do adore the theme, though...

Xanathus

Dragon Priest is one of my fav decks, I am getting mixed results. Love the new priest cost zero card lol, fun to use. Got Tirion twice. Just sucks that Holy Nova isnt a good board clear and as a priest I have a hard time having board presence :/

The issue with Dragon Priest is that your minions don't trade favorably against any midrange minions, it's only good against aggro. And against control you lose to any board wipes. Velen's Chosen was a huge loss to Dragon Priest.

Strider

An opponent just played Yogg-Saron vs me while I had a Sylvanas up... The first spell killed Sylvanas, so I stole the Yogg and all the spells were casted for me instead of him LMAO

Dahbomb

You can't play Shadowform deck and Cthun deck in the same deck. Too much loss of tempo early on. You need to commit to one or the other.

Winning the odd game here and there especially in a fresh meta is meaningless. Like there's no way once people refine their decks that you can get away with having two Mind Controls.

An opponent just played Yogg-Saron vs me while I had a Sylvanas up... The first spell killed Sylvanas, so I stole the Yogg and all the spells were casted for me instead of him LMAO
WOW!! AY LMAO!!!!

Card continues to surprise me on its awfulness.

I am gonna play a Standard Secret Paladin right now, let's see how it works out.

That's an interesting thought. I could do:
Should I do -1 C'Thun, -2 Beckoner, -2 Disciple, -2 Twilight Elder, -2 C'Thun's chosen

AND

+1 Velen, +1 Confessor, +2 Thoughtsteal, +2 Shifting Shade, +2 Tournament Medic, +1 something else?

Maybe C'Thun is a bad direction to go in for this deck, and I should keep him to Druid. I do adore the theme, though...

I wouldn't add 2 Medics. I think that's too much. I run one in my Shadow Reno deck and it seems plenty - it either is great removal bait, or it sticks and heals me up for 4-10 health. I also run Velen and find him insane for a late game burst with Shadow Form. Nine mana, summon a 7/7, deal 6 damage to anything? Solid. I don't run Confessor because I don't have her and also think she's too random.

I have Harrison in my Shadow Reno Priest right now. I like it a lot - it basically wins a game vs Jaraxxus and also is handy versus Control Warrior match-ups.

Raxus

I'm 99% sure it is. Feels like anything not tempo is facing an uphill battle, and tempo is boring as shit.
I disagree with this somewhat. While C'thun will get old for some decks it will still have viability in warrior and priest who reap the benefit of having C'thun the most.

I crushed a freeze mage with C'thun priest.

Wow my luck with opening packs has been absurdly bad, opened another 5, didn't get anything more than rare and only 2 of the cards I didn't already have. Just absurd.

Pooya

Kibler plays his very first standard game, gets rekt by Dr. 4 right away.

these shamans are so good always have trogg turn 1.

Levi

Banned
I had a Priest daily this morning I finished before work with a C'thun deck--and only because I played against a terrible C'thun warrior who went face with all his weapons and removal and ignored my board and a Warlock who threw the game by playing Renounce Darkness into Astral Communion.

I'm going to try a control N'zoth Priest tonight and maybe some kind of control warrior without any C'thun cards and see if I can make that work.

There is something so euphoric about owning these overpowered Shamans with my Cthun Secret Paladin Buff Deck. All the worst things about Paladin in one deck. Come at me Shamans!

Apathy

N'zoth paladin is doing work, loving it, although i need to refine it

lol vs a yogg, the yogg used mortal strike on my opponent

Strider

The thing that bugs me the most about all the changes is Alextrasza didn't get reworked... Freeze Mage needed to die but here I am still getting bursted down by Mages.... smh.

bjaelke

Playing a bit of arena and was suddenly reminded of the absurdity that is Faceless Summoner. Common rarity? MVP of my run so far.

Just built this Deathrattle Priest. Haven't tested it yet. Any initial thoughts?

1x Circle of Healing
2x Power Word: Shield
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Museum Curator
2x Thoughtsteal
2x Harvest Golem
2x Auchenai Soulpriest
1x Elise Starseeker
2x Infested Tauren
2x Excavated Evil
2x Corrupted Healbot
2x Entomb
2x Cabal Shadowpriest
1x Herald Volazj
1x Sylvanas
1x Mind Control
1x N'Zoth, the Corrupt

Basic plan is to summon a few Deathrattle dudes, make a few copies with Volazj, out-value my opponents, and then dump N'Zoth at the end plus Elise as back-up. I want to try to combo Auchenai with Corrupted Healbot, but that might just be fun on paper but awful in-game. Also, Infested Tauren is there to give me a bit of a shield late-game if I need a taunt to survive when I drop N'Zoth, but Infested Tauren might just be too awful to keep in there.

tylerf

Actually managed to rank up from 13 to 8 with Yoggsino Mage. Yogg is a decent last hope when you've mostly already lost. Still waiting to craft anything so the only other deck I can make yet is Cthun Priest and wow is it boring.

Just built this Deathrattle Priest. Haven't tested it yet. Any initial thoughts?

1x Circle of Healing
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Museum Curator
2x Thoughtsteal
2x Harvest Golem
2x Auchenai Soulpriest
1x Elise Starseeker
2x Infested Tauren
2x Excavated Evil
2x Corrupted Healbot
2x Entomb
2x Cabal Shadowpriest
1x Herald Volazj
1x Sylvanas
1x Mind Control
1x N'Zoth, the Corrupt

Basic plan is to summon a few Deathrattle dudes, make a few copies with Volazj, out-value my opponents, and then dump N'Zoth at the end plus Elise as back-up. I want to try to combo Auchenai with Corrupted Healbot, but that might just be fun on paper but awful in-game. Also, Infested Tauren is there to give me a bit of a shield late-game if I need a taunt to survive when I drop N'Zoth, but Infested Tauren might just be too awful to keep in there.

First card I crafted golden, kinda hard making a deck that works with how little great deathrattles in standard but I never thought about valzj and elise to make duplicates useful. Gonna try it out thanks for posting this.

bjaelke

1x Circle of Healing
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Museum Curator
2x Thoughtsteal
2x Harvest Golem
2x Auchenai Soulpriest
1x Elise Starseeker
2x Infested Tauren
2x Excavated Evil
2x Corrupted Healbot
2x Entomb
2x Cabal Shadowpriest
1x Herald Volazj
1x Sylvanas
1x Mind Control
1x N'Zoth, the Corrupt

Drop Thoughtsteals for Shifting Shades and throw in Thalnos for better boardclear. I even had to tech in a Doomsayer to avoid getting overrun.

So I have 5 packs left (the 2nd free quest) to open, but then I'm thinking of crafting the following:

- Yogg-Saron
- Cabalist Tome x2
- Twin Emperor Vek'lor
- Shield Slam x2 (I want to try C'thun/Control Warrior for real)

I pulled Xaril, Poisoned Mind, so I need to craft two Preps as well if I want to actually play Rogue for real. How is the meta shaping up for everyone to warrant this craft list?

Heropon

Third time I get to rank 5 and this time thanks to Evolve Shaman and the abundance of C'Thun decks. Liked it a lot but Evolve was a bit disappointing, unlike Master of Evolution. There are a lot of shitty 2-3 mana minions and with the first card you get the most disappointing results and lack of card advantage. Getting Lava Burst from scarabs is always a good thing to close matches. Also thinking about crafting Eternal Sentinel to smooth the curve and maybe add other overload cards.

I tried token/beast Druid too and it doesn't look too bad. The Grizzly and Mark of Y'Shaarj are really nice.

First card I crafted golden, kinda hard making a deck that works with how little great deathrattles in standard but I never thought about valzj and elise to make duplicates useful. Gonna try it out thanks for posting this.

Good luck! This is Version 1.0; I ran one game just now and beat a Yogg Mage... it was an ass-whooping, to be frank. I had about 28 life at the end, 9 cards in hand, and 6 in-deck and he had 14 life, 8 cards in hand, and 0 in-deck. And, yeah, not a lot of good Deathrattles around, but with Museum Curator, I can pull up a few extra, and with Valzj I can hopefully duplicate a 1 or 2 to maximize the benefit from a late N'Zoth.

Drop Thoughtsteals for Shifting Shades and throw in Thalnos for better boardclear. I even had to tech in a Doomsayer to avoid getting overrun.

I had Thalnos and swapped him out without testing it. I think your changes make sense if the meta is highly aggressive, but I haven't played enough to really assess that. I'm gonna give it a try as-is for at least a handful of games, then if I find my early game is lacking, I'll swap around a few things pretty much as you suggested.

ViviOggi

Arena is pretty ez right now except for all the dumpster Shamans getting free wins left and right from dropping that degenerate faceless card on turn 4. That aside everyone just goes face face face like in LoE, not realizing how likely their opponent is to have a taunt on any given turn now - and good taunts at that - which stop them dead in their tracks.

It's 9 mana worth of cards for 8 and instant impact, that thing is stupid
It's way better since each companion is overstatted by itself and on top of that they synergize with each other

Hycran

Banned
I put tentacles for arms in a half c'thun / half resident sleeper deck and the card is funny as fuck. Having 41 armor and gaining 4 a turn while you peck away at an opponents health is a ton of fun. I knew the card was not that great but it has already exceeded my expectations

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It's 9 mana worth of cards for 8 and instant impact, that thing is stupid

9 Mana? That thing is 12 mana of value, Animal Companion already summoned minions that would cost 4 mana each, and was balanced around inconsistency. 4/4 with Taunt. which is on par with Sen'jin, a, 4/2 with Charge that has no downside (Old Arcane Golem had to give the enemy a mana crystal to "Balance" it at 3 mana), and the 2/4 with +1 attack is a better Raid Leader.

Apathy

8YRgGqq.jpg

A light in the darkness has surprisingly been good to me, so has rallying blade.

N;zoth has not really saved me that much, but the times he has it's been funny, usually win with the combo of rag/tirion, holy bros

9 Mana? That thing is 12 mana of value, Animal Companion already summoned minions that would cost 4 mana each, and was balanced around inconsistency. 4/4 with Taunt. which is on par with Sen'jin, a, 4/2 with Charge that has no downside (Old Arcane Golem had to give the enemy a mana crystal to "Balance" it at 3 mana), and the 2/4 with +1 attack is a better Raid Leader.

It's more like 12 mana worth of cards, the 3 mana spell costs less because the outcome is random, the 8 mana one is anything but random.

Arena is pretty ez right now except for all the dumpster Shamans getting free wins left and right from dropping that degenerate faceless card on turn 4. That aside everyone just goes face face face like in LoE, not realizing how likely their opponent is to have a taunt on any given turn now - and good taunts at that - which stop them dead in their tracks.

It's way better since each companion is overstatted by itself and on top of that they synergize with each other

I know, it was in reference to animal companion cost, I know they were overstatted minions

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to use some of this dust to finally craft 2 Shield Slams so I can join the world of Control Warriors. I have most of the other cards I think, and it looks like a C'Thun/Elise tandem in that deck and then pushing to go to fatigue is a good way to win most control games.

Dahbomb

Played a bunch of Standard Secret Paladin today.

Still did pretty well, positive win rate and whooped on the Cthun decks.

If I can still get early board control I can pretty much win easily. But that first part is really, really hard. I put in those Stealth 2 mana Worgens and Argent Protectors to get board control plus Argent Horseriders and Flame Jugglers. When it starts to snow ball it balls out of control.

But once it loses board that's it man. Minibot and Muster really made that deck insane because the whole concept of Secrets and MC is that they snowball you to win really hard and if you can get that early board then it's smooth sailing.

Lack of strong 2 drops in the game for Paladin really lowers the impact of this deck.

Owzers

By the way there's no need to play around health totals against Renolocks/Handlocks, if you think they don't have Reno then go all in. I don't think anyone is running Molten anymore. Makes them even more free to aggro and no massive heal from Healbot. They basically even more ride or die by Reno.

dusted my Molten this morning, it's a dead card so much of the time now it doesn't seem worth it. I went all in verses a c'thun renolock as a regular one...turn 6 they had Reno :/

Top Bottom