• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its pretty jarring to play in Wild. You got all these gimpy old gods decks in Standard, and Wild is just same old same old.

T16p8ae.png

Priest chun feels reallll good

Luigi87

I don't play too frequently, but now that the new set is out, are all decks C'thun decks? Tis what it is feeling like to me, lol

I don't play too frequently, but now that the new set is out, are all decks C'thun decks? Tis what it is feeling like to me, lol

There is a bit of a "C'Thun's, C'Thun's everywhere!" feel to Standard at the moment. That and aggro Shaman.

Yet to see an N'Zoth or Yogg-Saron card...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I swear I always get the worst arena draft options. I can't remember the last time I got to choose an epic, let alone a legendary. My last two starting picks were Angry Chicken / Imp Master / Bloodsail Corsair with the rest of picks being about that caliber. Somehow I was not surprised for my first two opponent's to have multiple epics and one legendary. I almost always go 0-2 before I start seeing decks even remotely comparable to mine in just card quality.

Typically you don't really want to see epics. The general design of common/rare/epic in hearthstone is to make the more complicated and difficult to use cards rarer. In Arena you mostly want value over synergy, and the common cards are better at that. There are a few good arena epics, but overall I'd be happy to never see an epic choice.

Legendaries don't follow that rule so one or two legendaries can be good, but all the ones you'd actually want are high cost, and you definitely don't want too many high cost minions, and can certainly live without them since a lot of arena games are decided before that point.

so I played a guy in brawl that used validated doomsayer. I didn't realize that if you leave it up, each turn its attack gets set to 7. Thought it was interesting that even if you aldor or keeper it, you still have to remove it otherwise it'll still get it's 7 attack the next turn

Ladekabel

And I got to say that I really did underrate Shifting Shade. Really solid card. Always gave me something useable. But I still have to encounter a Rogue so I haven't had a chance to get dem Deadly Poisons.

Evolve C'Thun Shaman could most likely work. A lot of the C'Thun cards are "good enough" as Kripp has stated, but with evolve you can then try and get more value out of them.

C'Thun doesn't need to be a 25/25 minion to get a good game swing out of him, so having a few choice cards to buff him / provide some good counters to things might make up for not having as many overload options you see in most Evolve decks.

As for my Evolve deck (shamelessly stolen and adapted from a few decks I've seen here and on HearthPwn), I'm finding myself using overload minions a bit too much for evolve to be super useful.

Like, I don't want to evolve my feral spirit wolves because they're undervalued for the cost as a result of overload. Same for things like totem golem and the new Flamewreathed Faceless.

But, when they're low on health it can lead to some clutch plays, and my other minions boosting my magic damage means my 2 overload lightning storm hits as hard as flamestrike, which is neat.

I might play around with eternal sentinel and / or flametongue totem to keep my mana overload managed a bit better.

Now that's value. Golden C'Thun doesn't even show when you buff it.

Seems you are playing evolve shaman a bit, thoughts on curing an exhausted hand. Deck is awesome, but it is easy to clear your hand early and mana tide turner is not reliable. I have swapped a jeweled scarab for ancient knowledge, am also Thinking about swapping one of the 1 mana evolve cards for an Azure Drake. Giving me a boost to spells, nice body and a draw. Evolve is awesome but rarely see a scenario where all 4 evolve type cards are played. Especially as you said I have a few overloaded minions that don't yield great evolves except to get new full health bodies.

Also the legendary that is recommended that heals you hero for every damage caused by a spell is nice but have yet to reap the benefit of it once. Any recommendations on cycling that out for something better or leave it for the occasions when it is useful?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So Yogs effect doesn't finish before deathrattles activate.

That's stupid as fuck.

It would be even dumber if it didn't honestly. Multiple board clears wouldn't do anything. And you'd have shenanigans like you do a Brawl, and everything just kinda sticks on the board in awkward positions as the rest of the battlecry goes off.

The only real issue here is that Sylvanas can steal Yogg during the effect, at which point your opponent effectively steals the battlecry. Yogg's battlecry should not switch controllers mid cast, especially since the battlecry keeps going off if he dies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Are the servers stable? I couldn't play last night due server issues. :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is weird cause cthuns does finish before deathrattles can go off. Not sure if they intended for the difference or not

Cthuns effect makes sense as it is a single effect like Arcane missles or Avenging Wrath. But Yogg-saron is the game's first multi-phase battlecry, which it kind of needs to be to make sense.

Trace

Banned
It would be even dumber if it didn't honestly. Multiple board clears wouldn't do anything. And you'd have shenanigans like you do a Brawl, and everything just kinda sticks on the board in awkward positions as the rest of the battlecry goes off.

The only real issue here is that Sylvanas can steal Yogg during the effect, at which point your opponent effectively steals the battlecry. Yogg's battlecry should not switch controllers mid cast, especially since the battlecry keeps going off if he dies.

That's what I mean. I played it against sylvanas, she died and then it proceeded to start casting spells against me. That shouldn't happen.

peakish

I think you just got lucky. I did 2 Arena runs last night (5-3 with Rogue and 7-3 with Shaman) and didn't get 2 packs from either run. I did get Herald Volazj from the Shaman run, though.
Yeah, maybe so. It might be confirmation bias from these late rumours of the arena buff.

I feel pretty dirty playing paladin in this arena. 2 musters, an avenge, a shredder, a keepers, just a bit too icky overall. I hated all these cards in constructed, hah. At least no truesilver.

That's what I mean. I played it against sylvanas, she died and then it proceeded to start casting spells against me. That shouldn't happen.

I think it's how yogg is counted as the person casting the spells. It may be a battlecry effect, but I think it's set up in the same way the player casts spells where everything resolves after the spell is played before another one is played.

manhack

So we're a little over 24 hours into the Old Gods meta. I know it's still super early but if you had to give a meta snapshot, what would it look like?

Mine would probably be:

Tier 1
Aggro Shaman
Freeze Mage
Evolve Shaman
C'Thun Druid

Tier 2
Beast Hunter
C'Thun Warrior
Bubble Paladin
C'Thun Rogue
Control Warrior

Tier 3
C'Thun Priest
Beast Druid
Token Druid

Tier Lulz
Yogg Whatever

Zoo absolutely shits on anything that can't keep up.

Ladekabel

Looking at Vilefin Inquisitor and Steward of Dark Shire, I'm really glad and sad that Paladin didn't get Everyfin is awesome. How does Justicar interact with the hero power after Vilefin?

Looking at Vilefin Inquisitor and Steward of Dark Shire, I'm really glad and sad that Paladin didn't get Everyfin is awesome. How does Justicar interact with the hero power after Vilefin?

Shouldn't do anything. Justicar only upgrades starting hero powers.

Imagine if it buffed Jaraxxus, Hero Rag and the Shadowform power.

Ladekabel

I know it doesn't buff Jaraxxus, Rag or Shadowform and thank god for that.. But if it doesn't buff the Murloc hero power, it would be quite disappointing.

I haven't experienced Aggro Shaman as a threat yet. Even when one got a double Rockbiter on his Doomhammer, I still won.

Priest chun feels reallll good
But Dahbomb told me it sucks. :-O

The expansion literally released 2 days ago. Everyone wants to explore the new hotness. Wait until the first major competitive event, and then people will copy whatever the pros do.

Yeah, it is a solid card. I've pulled it from Museum Curator a few times and each time it was great
Cool.

Probably nothing.

Sounds good?

Fixed1979

Forgot the bullshit of imp-losion, arena brought back the memories in a hurry. Darkshire Councilman turn 3 plus implosion for 4 on turn 4...GG. Out at 8 W. I suppose having double evolve in my deck was some BS for other people as well.

Oh wow, 8 wins is a free arena gold.

Yeah, I feel confident saying Sea Giant Zoo is better now than it was before the expansion.

Stuff like Possessed Villager, Bilefin Tidehunter, Forbidden Ritual. It's all broken as shit in Zoo.

Broke down and finally got a net deck. Face hunter has been super effective in breaking my losing funk. I cleared up all my quests in casual and took the show on the road to ranked. Breezed my way down to 17 after a long break. Best part of the deck has been when people fill the board with no taunt and I can call the hounds to win.

I dusted so much of my stuff and made a golden Yogg-Saron to run in a miracle rogue deck. Climbed from 20-14 today, we'll see if I can break my rank-14 ceiling in the new meta! There are so many tempo mages and face shaman its like nothing has changed.

Szadek

I'm doing surprisingly well with my N'zoth Dragon control paladin.
Forbidden Healing is pretty amazing, feels almost like I'm playing 2 renos.

aerogod 2.0

Neo Member
Renounce Darkness Warlock might not be the most competitive or I guess reliable deck in the game but god damn do you get some broken ass mage and shaman decks sometimes. Its such a fun card. The pure randomness of this expansion and a lot of the cards in it has been very fun to watch and play. I kinda love it.

Top Bottom