• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EDIT: Fuck, one more win. I'm running out of RNGesus juice.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just to double check, Boogeymonster's free to dust, right?

If you really like making dumb synergies work like I do, there's maybe windfury potential in the card. Maybe in the next expansion there's a mega windfury card to give a minion the same effect V0O7- TR-ON has, and you can give it up to +8/+8 on the following turn, which would be fun.

But it'll never, ever be playable competitively, if that's all you're worried about.

Maximo

About to already call it quits with this xpac. The C'thun meta is fucking garbage. It's not fun to play and it's not fun to play against and you end up losing to fucking idiots making a dozen misplays simply because you cant draw shit and they get C'thun before you do.

cc90a1b08a28852ae10225fc201b226b91fd3e7b.jpg

Keep giving it a go.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Anybody got some constructive criticism?
I run the strong possibility of getting roflstomped if I don't have the coin when I start. I suppose I could keep Journey Below in my hand to have something to do but it feels really really bad playing Bladed Cultist naked. This is only exasperated if I don't draw another 1 drop on turn 2. Hell, just last game I drew, Bladed Cultist, Defias, Raptor, Tomb Pillager. I lost that game. Otherwise, once I start getting into turn 3 and beyond, it starts rolling and doesn't stop. The only thing I need to do in that regard is figure out exactly how to play it. I don't know whether to go control or mid-range or zoo when I have 3+ minions on the board.

I love everything about this deck though. The tough math the opponents have to do, the resilience to board clears, the super crazy late game. i'm rolling with this until it's no longer meta-viable.

I took out Loot Hoarder and Huge Toad because they weren't really helping me win games. I replaced them with 2 Cold Blood and it makes Twilight Summoner and other 1 attack minions something to fear. Thalnos got cut for obvious non-synergistic reasons. I'm still trying to see where I stand with Thistle Tea but the last two times I've played it I drew N'Zoth and Tomb Pillager. Which needless to say, both won me the game. Shadowcaster and Spawn of N'zoth are on the cutting board though. If there's anything that's going to improve this it'll be non-obviously-synergistic cards.

But please help. I'm tired of having a 50% chance of having a 50% chance of winning or losing on turn one.

Haly

nIa7xxA.jpg

Health count:

Base: 30 health
Lay on Hands: 8 health
Truesilver Crusader: 4 health
Forbidden Healing: 20 health

For a total of 62 fucking damage.

Apathy

Apathy posted a control Pally list awhile back that I am also having some success with. Definitely has the LIVE, INSECET in it. Also has Tirion for maximum light bringing.

The only change i will be making to it is changing a light in the darkness for forbidden healing when i finally get them. ALitD has saved me a few times, but the healing would be better.

KuroNeeko

I'm not very good at rogue, though I love the class and am experimenting with something similar on the side.

The things that stood out most to me were the double Summoner and the single Thistle Tea.

When you get Summoner on your Raptor, it's awesome, but playing it on turn 4 is such a boner-kill because it has so little impact on the board. I don't have any Shadowcasters, so I don't know, maybe they make the Summoner good?

Thistle Tea doesn't feel that great in this deck unless you want more of a specific card. I think I'd rather just Sprint and draw three. It doesn't seem like you're going to go to fatigue anyway so why not?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Zealous Initiate and Spawn of N'Zoth seem very weak to me. These are not particularly strong deathrattles and so you gain very little by copying them with Unearthed Raptor or bringing them back to life with N'Zoth.

You're not running Shadow Strike. That seems like a card you would want to jam into every single Rogue deck you could, because it's one of the most efficient removals in the game. It also gives you an argument to run Thalnos again. There's a ton of 5hp and 6hp minions that you could murder with that card.

You've also cut SI:7 Agent, which is just a tremendously strong card, and you've got the combo cards to activate it if you need to.

Abusives might be better than Cold Blood if you were looking to specifically improve your Twilight Summoners. Cold Blood has to be combo'd but Abusive doesn't and he leaves a body afterwards. Cold Blood makes more sense in the Miracle shell.

Maybe try Van Cleef too? With silences and BGH being less popular he could be pretty good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nIa7xxA.jpg

Health count:

Base: 30 health
Lay on Hands: 8 health
Truesilver Crusader: 4 health
Forbidden Healing: 20 health

For a total of 62 fucking damage.

I fought a pally that got 14 from forbidden healing, 4 from truesilver, and 16 from rag.

Still killed via second call of the wild because lol hunter.

jgminto

Aggro Shaman is pretty strong now but after everything has settled and decks are refined enough to fit tech cards like Harrison I think Evolve/Midrange will come out on top as the premium Shaman deck.

fertygo

I fought a pally that got 14 from forbidden healing, 4 from truesilver, and 16 from rag.

can I spectate your game with that Hunter Deck?

Streamer seem not liking Hunter so I don't actually see Call of 8 sillyness yet

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I tried a few lists.. Just so weak. Meanwhile Nzoth Raptor Rogue is doing work. Won 5 straight after tanking down to rank 16 with Priest.

I feel like you have to do c'thun or dragon priest if you're playing it now.

Deathrattle is just...eh. Losing cultist sucks, and the curator body is a lot worse without the threat of velen's. Journey Below for rogue just feels so much better and there's some nutty class cards they can get off it now.

can I spectate your game with that Hunter Deck?

Streamer seem not liking Hunter so I don't actually see Call of 8 sillyness yet

Yup, my tag is Papercuts #1714 if you want to add me. I'm just playing friend matches right now though.

Maximo

Alot of cool and interesting Decks I want to try, Call Of Wild is defiantly one of them, nothing better then wins with Hunter.

Haly

Rank 10-5 meta report

Shaman: Aggro, Midrange Evolve
Priest: Control, C'thun, Dragon
Warrior: C'thun
Paladin: C'thun
Druid: C'thun
Mage: Tempo, C'thun
Rogue: N/A
Hunter: Midrange
Warlock: C'thun

It's mostly Shaman, Priest and Druid with the others being rare sightings.

greepoman

[Rogue Deck]

As someone said above you went a little overboard with the deathrattles and left out some of the great tempo options rogue has (you need more spells and minions that affect the board when played).

I would suggest 2 sap. There's just no better tempo play for 2 mana and it's a way to get around the enemies big minions and come back if you get behind. That's the biggest problem as you mentioned... you're dead in the water if you don't curve perfectly.

I had luck with a similar deck which had 2x Argus. That was the way to come back when you're behind by forcing the opponent to attack your taunted stuff. Shadow caster on Argus did more work for me than on anything else.

And definitely drop thistle tea...you already have so much value you don't need more. You don't really want a dead turn which is what it'll be most of the time.

clav

This week's brawl is awful.

People bm'ing when they think the game is already over.

No create decks bring out the worst behavior and players.

Dahbomb

Reno Cthunlock is surprisingly legit.

After playing around with Cthun decks I realized that you don't actually need all that many Cthun minions to make it work. That's the basis for why Reno Cthunlock works even though it's running half as many Cthun minions. You basically just need to consistently reach the 10 attack power to enabled Twin Emperor.

This pretty much means that the Cthun decks aren't really refined... people are just using the deck recipes posted by Blizzard and loading it up with Cthun minions.

clav

When they do these brawls, they should make decks at least somewhat with right cards

Just plain lazy.

At least theme around something like Raven Idol or Esportal.

The brawls are planned way before, so it's not like they don't have the time. They could do an Evolve themed one to start off.

KuroNeeko

Sigh, the meta really is going to end up being play C'Thun or play aggro to counter C'Thun isn't it?

I don't see C'Thun really making the cut. Priest might do it out of desperation and there may be the occasional Druid, but it's not stronger than Control Warrior, Aggro / Mid Shaman, or Freeze Mage.

Tarazet

Opened Xaril from the packs I got from the 7 Standard games quest. I already had Huhu as well, so that was the last little push I needed to craft Sylvanas and N'zoth. Currently playing Dog's deathrattle rogue deck and loving every game.

Pooya

miracle rogue just eats up all these bad C'Thun, yogg saron and N'Zoth decks. It's like too easy :p I might go for legend again this month, it's that easy.

This paladin guy played two forbidden healing and rag lightlord still died. ayy. you have 30 health max total.

Warrior is seemingly MIA, I think I've played against three since yesterdy and as long as I dodge face shaman I think I have a good shot at beating everything else.
Even warrior isn't a problem exactly, no death's bite is huge for rogue.

yeah, can't say I'm pleased with the meta. I think all of these C'Thun and similar decks will die out in two weeks and that's fine they're awful. Except maybe druid sticks around. All them secret paly players will be rolling shaman soon and that will be really awful and zoo will be a thing. So pretty much back to where we were before standard just with a different face.

I'm yet to lose to a single C'Thun deck though, it's incredible. I think I've only lost to shamans since yesterday lol.

I think if we had blade flurry, rogue would be just blowing up all of these fools even harder.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Reno Cthunlock is surprisingly legit.

After playing around with Cthun decks I realized that you don't actually need all that many Cthun minions to make it work. That's the basis for why Reno Cthunlock works even though it's running half as many Cthun minions. You basically just need to consistently reach the 10 attack power to enabled Twin Emperor.

This pretty much means that the Cthun decks aren't really refined... people are just using the deck recipes posted by Blizzard and loading it up with Cthun minions.

It's kinda sad that making C'thun reach 10 attack to activate other better minions is the main reason to play C'thun.

I often wonder how buffed would C'thun have to be to be good enough to play in standard decks without worrying about buffs. I'm thinking 15 attack at least, maybe 20.

Haly

People try to maximize C'thun but really they should be focusing on that magic 10 that turns other stuff. Most decks can cut half their C'thun cards.

Pooya

Can Emperor work without playing C'Thun? like those 4 drops and diciple are pretty good, play them just to get twin emperor ready and not even play C'Thun?

That could make a really good control warrior list.

bjaelke

People try to maximize C'thun but really they should be focusing on that magic 10 that turns other stuff. Most decks can cut half their C'thun cards.

People did the same with Anyfin for the first week or so. It'll take some to time refine these decks. That goes for N'Zoth as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's kinda sad that making C'thun reach 10 attack to activate other better minions is the main reason to play C'thun.

I often wonder how buffed would C'thun have to be to be good enough to play in standard decks without worrying about buffs. I'm thinking 15 attack at least, maybe 20.

Wait, you mean like how good C'Thun would have to be as a vanilla minion to see play?

Because he wouldn't have to be anywhere near 15/15 to see play on his own. He could be like a 10 mana 9/9 that threw out 9 missles and see play, honestly. Maybe even 8/8.

Nachos

If you really like making dumb synergies work like I do, there's maybe windfury potential in the card. Maybe in the next expansion there's a mega windfury card to give a minion the same effect V0O7- TR-ON has, and you can give it up to +8/+8 on the following turn, which would be fun.

But it'll never, ever be playable competitively, if that's all you're worried about.
I want to play dumb decks. I really, really do, but the chance to get a better card short-term was too much to pass up as a new player. I figure that knowing my luck, I'll get another eventually.

Tarazet

Can Emperor work without playing C'Thun? like those 4 drops and diciple are pretty good, play them just to get twin emperor ready and not even play C'Thun?

That could make a really good control warrior list.

You need a C'thun in your deck to get the buffs. The Tavern Brawl has taught me that if you play one of the buff cards without the card in your deck, you won't see the animation and that's your tipoff that C'thun isn't in there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I want to play dumb decks. I really, really do, but the chance to get a better card short-term was too much to pass up as a new player. I figure that knowing my luck, I'll get another eventually.

And honestly, as far as dumb decks go, a Boogymoster windfury deck is kinda dumb and boring, so you probably made the right decision.

You need a C'thun in your deck to get the buffs. The Tavern Brawl has taught me that if you play one of the buff cards without the card in your deck, you won't see the animation and that's your tipoff that C'thun isn't in there.

It still works for stuff like Emperor though. I was playing Renounce Darkness Warlock earlier and after playing a couple Arakkoa my Klaxxi activated as if I had a 10 attack C'Thun in my deck even though I didn't.

Tarazet

It still works for stuff like Emperor though. I was playing Renounce Darkness Warlock earlier and after playing a couple Arakkoa my Klaxxi activated as if I had a 10 attack C'Thun in my deck even though I didn't.

That's pretty cool then. The yellow glow when it activates would mean you don't need to keep track either.

Top Bottom