• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Not too bad, depends on your collection though. you get it when you have one copy of each murloc so I'd check and see if you're missing an epic or something.

The gold one is a lot harder though since some of the golden murlocs are tied to high class levels.

Hmm, I'd have to dust nearly all of my golds to make it happen. Not sure how I feel about that.

*EDIT* Only missing the legendary from the pirate quest. Go figure. Yeah, not using 3k dust for two cards that aren't really decks I want to use.

Just got a Cabalist's tome that came out of a Cabalist's tome that itself came out of a Cabalist's tome.

We have to go deeper.

losing shieldmaiden and death's bite really hurt warrior more than I thought. Sucks that the new shieldmaiden is tied to c'thun decks. Gorehowl is doing work in this meta, though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I have yet to run into anyone else playing Y'shaarj. It has a neat animation with a bunch of eyeballs coming out of your deck when it pulls a minion.

Druid Y'shaarj has been my main since release.

Unfortunately it's become a lot harder since C'thun became less popular and people started playing the actual tier one decks of aggro shaman, midrange shaman, zoolock, and tempo mage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Druid Y'shaarj has been my main since release.

Unfortunately it's become a lot harder since C'thun became less popular and people started playing the actual tier one decks of aggro shaman, midrange shaman, zoolock, and tempo mage.

Yuuuup, noticing that for sure. The deck is damn good against C'thun classes but it gets steamrolled by aggro.

I'm also seeing a lot of Rogue and both deathrattle and miracle are problems. Sap just gives you no chance.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone else play on a mac book pro.

For the last year after an hour of play the game freezes with rainbow textures. There is a long thread on the Blizzard forum about this.

Just lost a match because of it. You can't even quit the game fast enough to get back in. The whole window freezes. I'd probably be better off playing in a VM.

Blizzard get your shit together. This has been going on for a while and they haven't addressed it.

Moonlight

Banned
Huckster seems damn good. Haven't used it myself yet, but playing against my opponents and they almost always have something relevant to play out of it.

HAHAHAHAHA, it happened! A guy killed himself with Yogg-Sauran. He had 3 health left, and it went:

Explorer's Hat
Power Word: Tentacles
Healing Wave (target: his hero)
Hellfire

Then he died! Apparently the Healing Wave won't activate until the series of spells is done, but damage is calculated immediately.

Rest in peace, Tempo Mage!

Also, Cabalist's Tome is particularly interesting because you can't play around anything. Even though I waited for 2 Polymorphs before I dropped Ragnaros, he had a third waiting!

Apathy

HAHAHAHAHA, it happened! A guy killed himself with Yogg-Sauran. He had 3 health left, and it went:

Explorer's Hat
Power Word: Tentacles
Healing Wave (target: his hero)
Hellfire

Then he died! Apparently the Healing Wave won't activate until the series of spells is done, but damage is calculated immediately.

Rest in peace, Tempo Mage!

Also, Cabalist's Tome is particularly interesting because you can't play around anything. Even though I waited for 2 Polymorphs before I dropped Ragnaros, he had a third waiting!

Seems like it has to be a, everything should go in sequence, even healing

jgminto

I'm really enjoying Yogg Tempo Mage, Antonidas is the actual win condition but Yogg is nice in the late game when there isn't a great play.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yuuuup, noticing that for sure. The deck is damn good against C'thun classes but it gets steamrolled by aggro.

I'm also seeing a lot of Rogue and both deathrattle and miracle are problems. Sap just gives you no chance.

My decklist

I haven't really had many problems with Rogue at all. Rogues don't start up until turn 3 or 4 and this deck is extremely powerful turn 5 on, unless they teched in both BGH and Black Knight. Naga or Aviana + Y'Shaarj + Random usually big taunt is really hard to beat.

Seems like it has to be a, everything should go in sequence, even healing
It didn't, though. He was at 3 health, Healing Wave went off, and I let a deep sigh because I had lethal and lost it. Then Hellfire went off and he died.

Healing Wave is a Joust.
Yeah, but Healing Wave still happened before Hellfire.

Spent all the dust i've ever made on Yogg Sarron and it kills itself. Great card.
We would have advised you otherwise. :p

That's a lot of legendaries!

Anyways, my Evo Shaman deck really falls apart if I stray from curve. Like, having to burn Feral Spirits early or not getting Lightning Storm, etc.

But, I did get a charge minion off Evolve for lethal one game, and then the next game I hit a Mounted Raptor only for it to spawn a minion that kills anything it attacks, so I lose my taunt and then the game.

I'm at about 10-5 with this deck, pretty pleased but it has it's shortcomings for sure.

Actually come to think of it Reno had a hand in 3 out of those 5 losses.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So I give up, and am finally building a Shaman deck, and wow, now I understand why most Shamans aren't running Hallazeal. There's just so many good cards and only so many great cards you can fit in one deck.

I still can't believe how many great cards Shaman got this expansion. Apparently blizzard really didn't want to chance shaman being underpowered again.

That's a lot of legendaries!

I never noticed. Yeah, I guess 7 is a lot, but then again it is control paladin.

So I give up, and am finally building a Shaman deck, and wow, now I understand why most Shamans aren't running Hallazeal. There's just so many good cards and only so many great cards you can fit in one deck.

I still can't believe how many great cards Shaman got this expansion. Apparently blizzard really didn't want to chance shaman being underpowered again.

I think the only card they misstepped in the entire set (so far) is that 4 mana 7/7. It's just a bit above the power curve. I mean, earth elemental is 1 mana 1 overload more and only gets 1 hp and taunt. They basically just gave aggro shaman (and midrange cause it's great in there too) a mountain giant as if they were handlock.

I never noticed. Yeah, I guess 7 is a lot, but then again it is control paladin.

I think the only card they misstepped in the entire set (so far) is that 4 mana 7/7. It's just a bit above the power curve. I mean, earth elemental is 1 mana 1 overload more and only gets 1 hp and taunt. They basically just gave aggro shaman (and midrange cause it's great in there too) a mountain giant as if they were handlock.
That's a good analogy.

And on that note, has anyone faced even a single Handlock? It'll be ridiculous if Blizzard killed an entire deck archetype with their incompetence.

I guess it depends what kind of deck you want to build. Hallazeal is really freaking good in a control Shaman deck which I think is pretty close to being viable. With less BGH around and once people move away from The Black Knight a bit Earth Elementals should wreck a lot of havoc for once.

Tarazet

The one thing I've always disliked about Rogue though, and this could be considered a positive, is that it always feels very tactical and taxing on the brain to play. There's a much higher skill cap for playing Miracle Rogue than Zoo or whatever where you just plop down whatever fits the mana curve. Holding on to resources for big burst turns with auctioneers and the like. It's great to win, but Hearthstone is a game I usually approach as something that's supposed to be less intense than other games.

Deathrattle Rogue is really, really easy to play compared with the old Oil or Malygos archetypes. It leaves it to your opponent to try and play around all of the nonsense you put on the board. There's not much combo fuss and you don't have to worry about using damage for removal that you will need later for burst.

I guess it depends what kind of deck you want to build. Hallazeal is really freaking good in a control Shaman deck which I think is pretty close to being viable. With less BGH around and once people move away from The Black Knight a bit Earth Elementals should wreck a lot of havoc for once.
Unless BGH sticks around and more people play The Black Knight.

Even so, Control Shaman kind of lacks a win condition. I didn't want to believe it, but I think there's no reason to play Control Shaman over Control Priest. Right now I am glad I only burnt 2000 dust on Doomhammers, a Charged Hammer, and various little tidbits here and there instead of going all-in on Hallazeal. At least Ragnaros is good in a lot of decks.

That's a good analogy.

And on that note, has anyone faced even a single Handlock? It'll be ridiculous if Blizzard killed an entire deck archetype with their incompetence.

I played handlock before the nerfs. And I've played reno warlock and cthun warlock. Slow handlock decks are far from dead I think. They tend to take refinement from top players and then suddenly half the meta is warlock.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Those +10 HP and +10 Armor C'Thun cards are fantastic. Pretty much OP. Priest got some legit good cards with this expansion, though their best new card requires you to play a C'Thun Deck. Warrior is in similar shape, pirate warrior is cute but I don't think its strong enough.

ZeroX03

Banned
Been fooling around with Divine Shield aggro Paladin. Adding Selfless Hero, Steward and Rally Blade really helps to keep Shields up to keep someone fat alive or to drop Blood Knight. Deck is badly in need of a 2-drop with DS though, the lack of Minibot really hurts the curve. Argent Protector doesn't usually need to hit that turn, Knife Juggler is still the best so far.

zoukka

Yeah I think I have to agree that shaman needs tuning. It's not that a 4-mana 7/7 is too op as a class card (still weak compared to MC for example), but more that many classes lost key removals and AoE so the constant barrage of midrange beefies is too much for the meta to handle. Super aggressive face decks are also gone so Shaman isn't punished enough for not playing heals.

They also retained one of the few easy ways to close out a game, Doomhammer+Rockbiter

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Been fooling around with Divine Shield aggro Paladin. Adding Selfless Hero, Steward and Rally Blade really helps to keep Shields up to keep someone fat alive or to drop Blood Knight. Deck is badly in need of a 2-drop with DS though, the lack of Minibot really hurts the curve. Argent Protector doesn't usually need to hit that turn, Knife Juggler is still the best so far.

IMO, best 2 drop for that deck is Bilefin. It gives a shit ton of value if Darkshire is up.

My version only ran a single blood knight, as an alternative win condition. Here is the deck I was running the first day of the expanion:
http://hss.io/d/9365482

ZeroX03

Banned
IMO, best 2 drop for that deck is Bilefin. It gives a shit ton of value if Darkshire is up.

My version only ran a single blood knight, as an alternative win condition. Here is the deck I was running the first day of the expanion:
http://hss.io/d/9365482

Yeah I was looking at Bilefin or maybe Worgen. There's plenty of 2-drops that love Darkshire up but nothing great to drop on turn two without the coin. I'm not running any Murlocs though, straight DS, might try them.

Leezard

Those +10 HP and +10 Armor C'Thun cards are fantastic. Pretty much OP. Priest got some legit good cards with this expansion, though their best new card requires you to play a C'Thun Deck. Warrior is in similar shape, pirate warrior is cute but I don't think its strong enough.

Brann with the +10 armor card is disgusting.

Yeah I think I have to agree that shaman needs tuning. It's not that a 4-mana 7/7 is too op as a class card (still weak compared to MC for example), but more that many classes lost key removals and AoE so the constant barrage of midrange beefies is too much for the meta to handle. Super aggressive face decks are also gone so Shaman isn't punished enough for not playing heals.

They also retained one of the few easy ways to close out a game, Doomhammer+Rockbiter

I died at 20 health from an empty board from Doomhammer + 2x Rockbiter + Lava. It hurt real bad. :(

Brann with the +10 armor card is disgusting.
Also good with the +10 health Priest card. Zero reason to play Reno Shadow Priest anymore.

nubbe

The joy of having the board full with minions and being greedy
less QQ more pewpew
Using Evolve
adQeD2m.png

and getting
doomsayer
fiHRaaP.png

I think this is what I am setting on for my Shadowpriest deck, though I'm open to feedback:

I didn't even think of Doomsayers until Dahbomb mentioned it, but they've been really great so far. A nice turn 2 anti-aggro drop. The only thing that can stop them as a 2-drop is a silence, so one time a Shaman was able to shut it down. Otherwise, it helps me transition to the mid game to use all of my management tools.

I tried Wild Pyromancer (even crafted two...), but it doesn't kill high health minions very well, the second one I draw never really has a use, and it means I have to run Power Word: Shield, which I'm not fond of in this deck. I don't wish I had more draw through Northshire Cleric or anything else - I've never lost due to too little draw in this deck. I mostly lose due to stupid mistakes. Dumbest error of the night: Entomb Ragnaros the Lightlord. Later, play him while Auchenai Priest is still on the board. Ow.

The only card that's questionable to me is Museum Curator, but I can play him on turn 2 if nothing is going on and get something nice for later, and nothing else really jumps out at me as being needed aside from Velen, which I not sure how to add anyway.

Also, no one suggest going down to one Mind Control. Double Mind Control obliterates all Old God decks. Between 2x Entomb and 2x Mind Control, N'Zoth has nothing worth resurrecting. I take Tirion, Slyvannas, Cairn, etc. After C'Thun spews his shadowballs out, I steal him and have a 16/16+ minion on the board. It's very good against the current meta. I have only lost a handful of long-term matches, and it's always because of a stupid mistake I make.

I tried running Thaurissan, but his one pre-death tick didn't really make a difference in my options. The only real combo in this deck is free.

If I had a card that lowered attack value, I would probably put that in over Museum Curator to combo with Cabal Shadow Priest to extend my stealing capabilities.

The joy of having the board full with minions and being greedy
less QQ more pewpew
The spirit of Shredder lives on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow, Dog just got a 50 damage C'thun with Rogue.

Blade of C'thun + Brann synergy is real.

Top Bottom