• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm losing a lot more than I used to.

I always build custom decks without net decking. I need to think through better I guess.

Losing cards, the new meta and a 3 month hiatus.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Patron seems in a better place than you would've expected without Death's Bite.

I think it's the same deal with Blade Flurry. Losing these cards was huge, but the fact of the matter is all other classes lost Shredder, Boom, Mad Scientist, Belcher, and Healbot, cards that Oil and Patron only occasionally used. To say the least of class cards.

Wow, first time I beat a warlock who used jaraxxus in such a long time... as control paladin. THANK GOD FOR CTHUN.

No wait.

Thank C'THUN FOR GOD

Close enough.

It was close. I still had forbidden healing to bring me back to full hp but that would have only stalled like 1 turn if he got his c'thun out first.

I do recall beating warlock in gvg/brm/loe with control paladin sometimes, but it was always so damn difficult. Jaraxxus is just that good.

manhack

Wow, first time I beat a warlock who used jaraxxus in such a long time... as control paladin. THANK GOD FOR CTHUN.

No wait.

Thank C'THUN FOR GOD

Close enough.

It was close. I still had forbidden healing to bring me back to full hp but that would have only stalled like 1 turn if he got his c'thun out first.

I do recall beating warlock in gvg/brm/loe with control paladin sometimes, but it was always so damn difficult. Jaraxxus is just that good.

I wasn't feeling the Control C'thun Paladin at first, but it really fleshed out the control paladins weakness of not having any burst damage to finish out a game.

dralla

I played my first game as Shaman and the first time I use Evolve it turns both my totems on the board into Bloodmage Thanos'. BOTH. That 1 mana value

_DrMario_

I played about 6 hours of HS today and was surprised to only see only 5 or 6 Shamans... then I realized all those tryhards are probably not hanging out with the cool people at rank 12ish.

Tagyhag

Is it just me or is arena A LOT harder now? I keep fighting 12-win worthy decks at 0-2/1-2/2-2.

It makes me wonder what kind of beast decks they got beat by.

Edit: On the flipside getting a 2nd pack at low wins rules.

Magnus

Got a decklist for this?

Here's what I'm using:

Backstab x2
Shadowstep x2
Journey Below x2
Sir Finley
Eviscerate x2
Sap x2
Bloodmage
Loot Hoarder
Undercity Huckster x2 (BUY ONE!!!)
Fan of Knives
Earthen Ring Farseer
SI:7 Agent x2
Unearthed Raptor x2
Defender of Argus x2
Xar'il
Azure Drake x2
Shadowcaster x2
Cairne
Sylvanas
N'Zoth

Modified from a deathrattle rogue I net decked. I realized none of it was interacting with rogue's hero power, so I threw Finley in to try for Mage pings of lifetap, or really, pretty much anything else. It's been good.

I tell you, one of the only frustrations with this deck so far is that the kill comes before I get to play N'Zoth. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I played about 6 hours of HS today and was surprised to only see only 5 or 6 Shamans... then I realized all those tryhards are probably not hanging out with the cool people at rank 12ish.

Yeah I got to rank 5 earlier over a pile of shaman corpses. Pretty sure I got 5 in a row, lol.

VoxPop

I love the small upgrades to my Mill Rogue.

With the addition of C'Thun cards, Yogg Saron and Nat the Dark Fisher, it has a lot more survivability than my previous build.

V-Faction

Overload, at it's heart, was a way of simulating Shaman's classic "burst" potential from the WoW game. Shocks, weapon, buffs, and random spell ranges were meant to illustrate that.

However, Overload as a mechanic I have never liked. It seems worthless, created for no general purpose other than boredom, and occupies design space creativity when it comes to new cards. It's the opposite of Ramping from Druid. Everyone upset with Doomhammer, I'll happily trade it away for:

- Better ways to call forth Totems that's aren't random bullshit.
- Even more Totem synergy on top of that.
- Spells that don't fuck the class over.
- Better usage of Windfury.

Shamans didn't get any C'Thun mechanics nor Forbidden cards this expansion. There aren't any Dragon, Pirate, or Beast class cards nor do they have any Deathrattle minions. Murlocs were never worthwhile. Windfury is a joke compared to Divine Shield, expect when (surprise surprise) placed on a weapon. All that's left to give is Overload, so that's where the perks and buffs must put in place. The implementation is still clunky to this day.

bord

Neo Member
Maybe I'm crazy, but I miss Handlock, and I don't think Molten Giant was that big of an issue to justify a 5 mana nerf.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I miss Handlock, and I don't think Molten Giant was that big of an issue to justify a 5 mana nerf.

I think the nerf was definite overkill. Making it 22-23 would be alright.

Though gutting molten while keeping mountain and introducing a 4 mana 7/7 is...uh.

Here's what I'm using:

Backstab x2
Shadowstep x2
Journey Below x2
Sir Finley
Eviscerate x2
Sap x2
Bloodmage
Loot Hoarder
Undercity Huckster x2 (BUY ONE!!!)
Fan of Knives
Earthen Ring Farseer
SI:7 Agent x2
Unearthed Raptor x2
Defender of Argus x2
Xar'il
Azure Drake x2
Shadowcaster x2
Cairne
Sylvanas
N'Zoth

Modified from a deathrattle rogue I net decked. I realized none of it was interacting with rogue's hero power, so I threw Finley in to try for Mage pings of lifetap, or really, pretty much anything else. It's been good.

I tell you, one of the only frustrations with this deck so far is that the kill comes before I get to play N'Zoth. :)

I've only played 2 games with this deck so far but I like it. You have 31 cards in that list by the way.

Dahbomb

No Chow, no 2 mana Owl, no Belcher, no Healbot, no Dark Bomb, nerfed Molten Giant.

All the while game becoming more and more aggressive.

Handlock in its prime with Wild cards would not be able to stand up against Shaman right now. That match up was always not that good for Handlock now it's just awful.

Cthun meta also makes it rough for Handlock, can't activate Jaraxxus until Cthun has been played or in dire situations.

Wow... this lock n load hunter... what a match. I was completely confused by his plays at first. In fact, still confused by him throwing away UTH like he did early on. But when he played yogg sauron... it actually cast had him steal my brann bronzebeard with shadowmadness, then it cast bloodlust, call of the wild, hellfire... if it cast no hellfire and the call of the wild before bloodlust, I would have died or gotten down to like almost no hp.

I got my brann bronzebeard back and I played twins instead of cthun cause I was too afraid of burn and I wanted to use forbidden healing. I ended up winning even though he dealt with my cthun with a deadly shot.

I didn't get to double cthun blast cause his yogg sauron RNG also gave him ball of spiders which gave him a stampeding kodo of all things to get...

No Chow, no 2 mana Owl, no Belcher, no Healbot, no Dark Bomb, nerfed Molten Giant.

All the while game becoming more and more aggressive.

Handlock in its prime with Wild cards would not be able to stand up against Shaman right now. That match up was always not that good for Handlock now it's just awful.

More aggressive? I dunno about that. I've been playing mostly slower decks with only a few zoo/shaman in between. Occasionally a tempo mage too I guess.

I've only played 2 games with this deck so far but I like it. You have 31 cards in that list by the way.

Haha I was about say the same thing, luckily I only have one Shadowcaster in my collection. Played one match and won, though the person conceded before I put anything heavy down (I established my board too quickly I guess).

Dahbomb

Like 90% of my matches are against Shaman and Zoolock with the occasional Cthun decks and Tempo Mage thrown in the mix.

If like half of the matches are against Shaman then it would be an awful idea to play Handlock. If the other half are Cthun decks then that would also be a bad idea. Handlock would really only beat Zoolock and Patron in the meta.

Surprisingly Cthun Renolock is not that bad at all provided you have Reno in hand.

ZeroX03

Banned
10-1 with this deck. Slightly modified from what a Gaffer posted up a few pages back, I didn't want to craft Hammer of Twilight just yet, already blew through 5000 dust to craft a bunch of cards I ended up pulling in my last five packs.

IJTH4VI.jpg

Apathy

oh man, poor kripp vs a frost mage, dead in one turn. kobold geo X2, frostboltx2, ice lance x2 and a fireball all cause emp reduced everything by 1. Totally balanced

Apathy

Knife Juggler is still bullshit.
People complained about KJ + Muster, how is Forbidden Summoning any better?

Oh you don't get it, see the reason people hated KJ was cause he was a 3/2 not cause of the knives. Blizzard clearly did the right nerf.

/s

Dahbomb

oh man, poor kripp vs a frost mage, dead in one turn. kobold geo X2, frostboltx2, ice lance x2 and a fireball all cause emp reduced everything by 1. Totally balanced
I think streamers need to go ham on Freeze Mage like they did on BGH a while back for Blizzard to do something.

We are due for a Kibler article and a "how good is Freeze Mage video".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh you don't get it, see the reason people hated KJ was cause he was a 3/2 not cause of the knives. Blizzard clearly did the right nerf.

/s

No no, see, the knives are the soul of Juggler. Like how when you think of Warsong Commander you automatically think of 2/3.

Apathy

I think streamers need to go ham on Freeze Mage like they did on BGH a while back for Blizzard to do something.

We are due for a Kibler article and a "how good is Freeze Mage video".

Someone said got frustrated with one earlier today, I'm sure it's coming, specially since he knows how to take losses from years of pro play.

if multiple old gods ar eon the same field they should interact with each other in some way like with special banter

Magnus

My bad. Only 1x Defender of Argus. I'm glad! Please make suggestions if you find better substitutions.

Also, what rank/mode are you all seeing freeze mages in? Three days since Old Gods launched and I haven't faced one in Casual or Ranked (12-8)

ZeroX03

Banned
What's the freeze mage currently doing well? Friend is looking for decklists, he's not up to date and only plays Mage (which is fucking annoying when playing him).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

/s

Knife Juggler was a significant barrier for Blizzard on 2 drops. Part of the reason it was as strong as it was is that you were perfectly happy dropping it on curve. It was one of the strongest 2 drops they could have possibly printed without doing some cheating bullshit like Mad Scientist or Shielded Minibot. Now it's a token/flood synergy card. The nerf did exactly what Blizzard intended it to do. Now you see cards like Flame Juggler and Huge Toad being played in decks that might otherwise have slotted Knife Juggler in those spaces.

Apathy

2 keepers, 2 concecrates, 2 wild pyros, 2 equalities, none would come out, even after cycling, you gotta be shitting me with this game sometimes

Levi

Banned
You know what deck they should just delete from the game? Astral Communion Druid. Nothing feels worse than losing to a turn one Astral Communion into a turn two Rafaam.

Busted my ass to start a win streak with a home brew control deck in a hyper aggro meta and I lose because some shit head with a bad deck had a perfect opening hand into the perfect top deck.

Top Bottom