• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like Blizzard missed the memo on why people dislike Secretdin.

@Blizzard: It's because it's a deck that functions solely on curve and is extremely powerful despite its mind-numbing simplicity. So why are you forcing an archetype that does nothing but curve into a big Legendary???

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Battlecry: Beef up your C'Thun is probably my least favorite mechanic. Functionally, I'm not sure why you'd play the larger cost minions over the lower cost ones. You get a decent body and some nice stats, but it's still not impacting your C'Thun interaction. I'm almost suspicious there will be a C'Thun card does both a +1/+1 AND some other interaction.

We have seen a C'thun card that had Divine Shield.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

@Blizzard: It's because it's a deck that functions solely on curve and is extremely powerful despite its mind-numbing simplicity. So why are you forcing an archetype that does nothing but curve into a big Legendary???

Its fun and ballenced because all classes can do it
ZyBbi7y.png

how often does elise REALLY win you guys games in that pally smorc deck yall were bonering over last week? i feel like leeroy makes more sense bc how often does delaying the game so much in a mostly face deck really allow you to win, seems like it would help bad matchups and just hurt good ones, where i sort of believe in HS it's almost always more advantageous to strengthen your good matchups and not care about turning 30% priest matchups into 35s

even one sick divine favor turn barely helps with something like that IMO because lets say you get an amazing 8 draw from divine favor, you still only pulled one card of the combo you can't get multiple ones, the game really really has to extend for that card combo to matter

Apathy

how often does elise REALLY win you guys games in that pally smorc deck yall were bonering over last week? i feel like leeroy makes more sense bc how often does delaying the game so much in a mostly face deck really allow you to win, seems like it would help bad matchups and just hurt good ones, where i sort of believe in HS it's almost always more advantageous to strengthen your good matchups and not care about turning 30% priest matchups into 35s

even one sick divine favor turn barely helps with something like that IMO because lets say you get an amazing 8 draw from divine favor, you still only pulled one card of the combo you can't get multiple ones, the game really really has to extend for that card combo to matter

As long as it's not something brainless "spit my whole hand out it does not matter what I draw cause I play a stupid deck" deck I have like a 60% win rate with my elise priest deck.

Even vs secret paladins, if I can go and not rage too hard and still think out my turns to break secrets (and pray to the rng gods that I avenge actually hits a good target), I got the tools to take them.

As long as it's not something brainless "spit my whole hand out it does not matter what I draw cause I play a stupid deck" deck I have like a 60% win rate with my elise priest deck.

Even vs secret paladins, if I can go and not rage too hard and still think out my turns to break secrets (and pray to the rng gods that I avenge actually hits a good target), I got the tools to take them.

i didn't say elise was a bad card its amazing in control priest and warrior i just meant in that pally smorc deck a lot of people here used last week i don't think it deserves a place.

i might be wrong and the deck had leeroy, i don't remember completely exactly and this thread is too large to double check, but if i'm not mistaken my sub in was leeroy for elise

Apathy

i didn't say elise was a bad card its amazing in control priest and warrior i just meant in that pally smorc deck a lot of people here used last week i don't think it deserves a place.

i might be wrong and the deck had leeroy, i don't remember completely exactly and this thread is too large to double check, but if i'm not mistaken my sub in was leeroy for elise

woops my bad.

So sick of fucking secrets. All of them, not just paladin's

I want to make oil rogue work in standard. So far we only know they are losing is sword oil as a primary card. Loatheb and dr. boom are more or less insertions depending on the meta. Sword oil might not be replaced, but assassin's blade has actually been a substitute in certain lists. Which reminds me, goblin autobarber being cycled out matters with assassin's blade, but maybe not too much.

It is still way too early to be predicting how the dice fall on this one, because of classic/basic card nerfs and unrevealed cards, but I think it could exist and remain a strong deck... and only get stronger if other decks are hit harder.

Peléo

I want to make oil rogue work in standard. So far we only know they are losing is sword oil as a primary card. Loatheb and dr. boom are more or less insertions depending on the meta. Sword oil might not be replaced, but assassin's blade has actually been a substitute in certain lists. Which reminds me, goblin autobarber being cycled out matters with assassin's blade, but maybe not too much.

It is still way too early to be predicting how the dice fall on this one, because of classic/basic card nerfs and unrevealed cards, but I think it could exist and remain a strong deck... and only get stronger if other decks are hit harder.

So you want to play Oil rogue without the card that names the archetype?

(It will lose auto-barber but still has Bucaneer, which is a decent if not better replacement.)

There's no way that deck will survive on a curve alone.

Peléo;199706800 said:
So you want to play Oil rogue without the card that names the archetype?

(It will lose auto-barber but still has Bucaneer, which is a decent if not better replacement.)

I don't think buccaneer really works as a replacement in this type of deck. You usually need to buff after having a weapon equipped, not before.

Also, before oil rogue was coined, I called the deck weapon rogue. The people who popularized the style coined it oil, which I always felt was just one aspect of the deck and not the entirety. After oil is cycled out, I'll call it weapon rogue again :)

There's no way that deck will survive on a curve alone.

Plus it's probably very different than secret paladin. You can't just play on curve and hope for a turn 6 swing. You have to wait til turn 10 at the earliest, and the size of the c'thun play will differ depending on how the rest of the game went... if you even draw it.

Peléo

I feel the comparison is real, however, the average power level is much lower. It is completly different to curve minibot, into muster, into shredder than it is to bloodfen raptor into spidertank etc.

Also, remaining alive until turn 6 is normally easier than it is to turn 10.

I agree C"thun decks will probably be boring to play/watch though.

traveler

Not Wario
The entire schtick of this expansion is the definition of linear gameplay. Magic design, by comparison, has tried to move away from this over time, recognizing the boring and relatively thoughtless nature of deckbuilding it encourages. This expansions explicitly embraces it, though- the only real choice is which "tribe"- which old god- you'll back.

This is assuming the new cards are worth playing, of course. If not, the strong cards not tied to the new mechanics will simply make their way into existing shells and archetypes.

Peléo

I don't think buccaneer really works as a replacement in this type of deck. You usually need to buff after having a weapon equipped, not before.

Also, before oil rogue was coined, I called the deck weapon rogue. The people who popularized the style coined it oil, which I always felt was just one aspect of the deck and not the entirety. After oil is cycled out, I'll call it weapon rogue again :)

I agree with you. Bucaneer curves better though, unless you coin dagger into barber. Spiteful Smith or Captain Greenskin then?

The expansion certainly will be interesting. Blizzard mentioned some of the Rogue basic cards are really powerful and might be changed.

The entire schtick of this expansion is the definition of linear gameplay. Magic design, by comparison, has tried to move away from this over time, recognizing the boring and relatively thoughtless nature of deckbuilding it encourages. This expansions explicitly embraces it, though- the only real choice is which "tribe"- which old god- you'll back.

This is assuming the new cards are worth playing, of course. If not, the strong cards not tied to the new mechanics will simply make their way into existing shells and archetypes.

i totally agree with this. it sounds like your decks will auto-pick half way depending on some of the new legendaries you pick. i really would've preferred they just expanded upon the tribes they currently have versus these decks built all around one legendary, considering the extra cards are almost exclusively just going to be a matter of 'hmm stall the game via healing or via removal' being the biggest thought process in deck building, ehh

Really? Cause we got cards like xaril the poisoned (rogue legend, 3/2 for 4 mana) and we got that priest legend that copies other minions as 1/1s. I think there will always be building blocks, like the 2/3s and 4/5s or what not, to include in decks. They don't seem to be the only thing this expansion is bringing though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
While its likely hard to pull off in a useful way, Steward of Darkshire and Faceless Shambler have some pretty good synergy.

Edit: Noble Sac gets Divine Shield too. I think Steward is going to be pretty powerful, it should get played at least as much as Quater Master did.

Tagyhag

Some guy Mindgames my Majordomo and turns into Rag by turn 5 and I still lose.

I feel like if you get extremely RNG lucky one way, you will get fucked over 2x over the next.

What if C'thun decks were meant to be a simple recipe deck?

I could see something like that happening. I may be remembering wrong, but aren't people getting C'thun for free or something? If that's the case, it makes sense that his cards aren't that complicated to use. It would be a good 'starter' deck for new(er) players.

V-Faction

We seen that already from C'thun class card

We have seen a C'thun card that had Divine Shield.

The class cards seem to not be what I'm looking. If your C'Thun has stats, gain more stats.

The Divine Shield C'Thun card works, but even that doesn't actually do much to Big-C besides a stat buff. The interaction I'm looking for is giving more than stats (Divine Shield, Taunt, Windfury, Enrage, etc.) to C'Thun or sacrificing something to bring him out quicker, like a summoning ritual.

As it stands now, every class is going to have to have a C'Thun exclusive card, all of which will not be equal by the very nature of how each class plays. The one who wins is the one that gets a card which subverts the standard action of "Play Cultist - Wait to Draw C'Thun". There doesn't seem to be much room for 2 old gods in a deck if you need all the pieces for 1 to work properly. And if everyone is playing C'Thuns n' Ladders, why would I play the class with the least to gain?

Conceptor

Apologize in advance for bringing this up so late, but this brawl shouldn't restrict brand new players/players with small collections from playing in it...

This brawl is unfriendly to new players, thats for sure, I don't think they get enough high end minions to do it

So, this is the first brawl with a real deck building limit. I guess its also to see what sort of reaction happens if they made one not everyone is actually able to participate in.

Yep. I have an EU alt f2p account with all classes to level 10, mage at 20, first leg of Naxx unlocked, 20 dust (nothing crafted/dusted), and 400 leftover gold being saved for BRM. I can't participate in the brawl. What if that account belonged to a casual player?

I'm of the belief that Blizz should make brawls playable by everyone who has access to them. Do they have to be fair? Not always, but at least someone can enter and has a chance to win a pack. I don't think that's a lot to ask for.

We have an example of a new player in this thread in Madridista, as a new player definitely won't have the cards to do this brawl. The whole point is that they should be fun and accessible and this is neither.
Agreed.

So? They are common cards and not that hard to acquire. One is an adventure card a lot of newbies have adventures by now too.
Tough then. Most of these build your own deck Brawls are tough for new players. Always have been.

As someone who likes the deck building process... the build your own deck Brawls always excite me more (until someone busts out Flamewaker and breaks the Brawl).
I don't think that's fair. Not every newbie will have things unlocked. What if someone just unlocked the brawl today? It's entirely possible to have been playing this game a realistic amount for the last few weeks and not have the collection required. The regular BYOD brawls are usually unfair to new/f2p players but its still possible to work around that and win.

I don't think EVERY brawl should be accessible to every player. It'd be nice if it was 50/50. It's one of the reasons people like the brawls where you don't have to make a deck. The ones where you do almost always favor those with more cards, but I wouldn't want that to go away.
I disagree with the first part. I do like that current brawls go 50/50 because building is fun, and so is fighting with premade.

I'm sure this has been brought up before. Wouldn't it be awesome if you were given a temporary number of cards or collection for brawls where some cards cards/or strategies are OP (animated armor, flamewankers, questing adventurers, etc)? Even a handful of generic vanilla 7+ drops would allow people to play it!

I hate this brawl so much, how you expect people with limited library could win
Try Bloodlust Shaman! Keep generating Totems for turns 1-7 and then drop in a Stormwind Champion and Bloodlust! Especially nice if you have Feral Spirits or Ancestral Spirit to keep your big minions alive. They aren't necessary though. Don't be afraid to use Rockbiters or Shaman spells to keep their board free of taunts/scary threats. I'm one and done this week after my pack though too.

Owzers

I could see something like that happening. I may be remembering wrong, but aren't people getting C'thun for free or something? If that's the case, it makes sense that his cards aren't that complicated to use. It would be a good 'starter' deck for new(er) players.
I think C'thun, three of the acolytes, and three packs

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just think its cool there is real restrictions on this brawl. I don't mind Brawls having rules that could potentially exclude some people, but I hope they aren't too common. I feel the rules of this Brawl aren't fun though.

I hope they do some sort of "Born to be Wild" Brawl, and only let people use Naxx and GvG cards.
Bonus points if they do it a month after Old Gods comes out, so I can see some "But I dusted all my GvG cards!" salt,

I believe Blizzard said its C'thun and 2 Beckoners of Evil.

Nice. If that's the case, I feel like that's a good way to get people into the game and have an easy way for people to get a good start too. It's an easy deck to build and play, but it requires improvement on the player to get far with.

Hopefully that keep that going with later expansions.

Tarazet

I think I want to try to make justicar work outside of paladin, priest, and warrior.

Just not sure which class I want to use it with. I was thinking maybe rogue since it technically doubles the hero power's effectiveness, similar to the above classes. But I guess that is true for mage and druid as well.

It just seems hard figuring out additional synergies created by this card in those classes.

edit:
So far I am thinking for rogue, some kind of bran bronzebeard, molten giant, battlecry mash up. Or maybe going the reno route.

I've seen her played in Mage with decent frequency. it's like a Priest that permanently has an Auchenai on board. Hunter's is so-so.The only one that kinda sucks is Shaman's.. It would be playable if all the totems were given +1/+1.

fertygo

Try Bloodlust Shaman! Keep generating Totems for turns 1-7 and then drop in a Stormwind Champion and Bloodlust! Especially nice if you have Feral Spirits or Ancestral Spirit to keep your big minions alive. They aren't necessary though. Don't be afraid to use Rockbiters or Shaman spells to keep their board free of taunts/scary threats. I'm one and done this week after my pack though too.

I already won one and done with my burn spell mage despite filling deck with shit like war golem, but I hate watching this from streaming and feel to other people, at least I have some adventure stuff like forgotten torch, other peep have even less

Ridli

You ever take a break, come back, look at your deck, and wonder what the hell you were thinking? Clearly this dragon priest deck I tweaked a month ago was traumatized by early game aggression to want to have 2 chows in addition to the twilight drakes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Don't believe so. Only ever saw one Molten.

Kind of a weird deck though. Seems like it's built from Tempo Mage instead of control Mage.

Yeah, the version I was facing was ultra hard control. I assume it was a variation that also ran Echo and Duplicate. I know I once got screwed by a Reno Mage deck that did manage to pull both of those out (And yes, the guy played Reno 3 times on me and had a 4th in hand), so this time I made sure to step back a second, and Murder Reno, along with 1 of the giants using my face.

Pooya

C'Thun deck looks really boring. It's like Blizzard designed it to be a cheap starter deck for new players that is not too weak or too strong and is really easy to play with it being extremely linear and all the cards are commons or rare, no epics so far so it's easy to get all the cards by opening some packs and you have this big flashy guy in the end that attracts casual players, there are not even many ways to build a C'Thun deck. I guess that's not a bad idea but still looks boring.

Owzers

I'm still hoping for some C'thun Reno options, but with all these basic cultists I don't know if that will work or be fun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm still hoping for some C'thun Reno options, but with all these basic cultists I don't know if that will work or be fun.

I think I'd work, the only thing it really needs is a Taunt Option. If it can get something that in line with Senjin, a 4 mana 3/5 with taunt, that should help a lot.

I'm hoping at least one C'Thun card has some sort of Death Rattle effect that interacts. I'm also hoping at least one legendary interacts with him in an interesting way (If we get corrupted Thalnos that just draws C'Thun on Death, I'm going to a be a bit pissed)

If Keeper of Lore gets nerfed, could Nourish see some play? Its a pretty great spell that I never see run.

Depends on if combo gets nerfed too. If it doesn't? Sure, it'll help draw into it. Otherwise you'd be better off playing something like an azure drake since you'll probably not be playing many cards per turn.

Catvoca

Banned
You ever take a break, come back, look at your deck, and wonder what the hell you were thinking? Clearly this dragon priest deck I tweaked a month ago was traumatized by early game aggression to want to have 2 chows in addition to the twilight drakes.

Yeah, I definitely have the same thing happen. I look at my list and am like "why did I put these zombie chows on my Druid list" or "how pissed off was I to put double flair and Kezan in my hunter deck?"

Sande

Paladin is pretty hilarious in this brawl since no one seems to be running anything to clear the dudes. If you mulligan into muster it's pretty much gg.

Top Bottom