• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

KuroNeeko

Yeah, I got my pack using mage this week.
Unstable Portal + Control.

Lots of people going Druid for Innervate, Living Roots, Combo, Wild Growth though.

I feel like Rogue might do all right as well.

Zemm

every single day...

CIZ4hhi.png

Sort it out Twitch, ffs.

1N0UjV3.jpg

How do they know who is a view bot? I think the vast majority of viewers don't even make accounts.

Also, still sounds like Massan tbh. I used to watch him pretty consistently in the morning.

Pooya

mryagut was saying the other day he even has fake subs. He looked up the the new subs and found like 5 new accounts that only follow Massan.

Xanathus

How do they know who is a view bot? I think the vast majority of viewers don't even make accounts.

Also, still sounds like Massan tbh. I used to watch him pretty consistently in the morning.

The thing is that Twitch actually knows how many real viewers there are because otherwise they would have to pay out more money for ad views but they're just not using that number for the public viewer counts.

Ladekabel

I decided to switch to the dark side and play Secret Paladin. Never draw the perfect curve and I'm now on a loosing streak. Justice!

georly

I disagree with the first part. I do like that current brawls go 50/50 because building is fun, and so is fighting with premade.

My reasoning is that if every brawl is designed so that even relatively new players can play, chances are it becomes a bit boring or less exciting for people who actually DO own a ton of cards. The longer the game is out, the more players will exist that own a ton of cards - you want some of the brawls to be exciting for them, too. Give them a chance to use their weird legendaries that never get play otherwise. I mean, ideally, you'd have a brawl that is playable by everyone AND people with a ton of cards can get a ton of fun out of it, too - but that's probably not possible for every single brawl. You have to give every portion of your audience something fun, so the fact that it rotates weekly and some favor casuals and some favor people with larger collections is absolutely fine for me. If you don't like it, do your best to win a pack and then just wait for the next week. It's just ONE part of the game, so it's not a huge deal. It's "for fun."

Lumine

Also, before oil rogue was coined, I called the deck weapon rogue. The people who popularized the style coined it oil, which I always felt was just one aspect of the deck and not the entirety. After oil is cycled out, I'll call it weapon rogue again :)

I don't mean any offense, but 'weapon' rogue was a thing way before oil came out already. A friend and I called a certain Rogue deck that and it was very weapon-heavy, obviously. I think it also had stuff like Captain Greenskin in it. In fact, it wasn't too bad if I remember right. It just got destroyed by a well-timed Harrison or even an Ooze as the point of the deck was to upgrade your weapons. Even a taunt like Sludge Belcher could be a killer if you didn't have a sap ready. These days such a deck would probably look very different though.

I've been playing a little Miracle Rogue again. With Elise in it. It's my latest 'experiment.' I'm very likely not the first person to try this though. Too many people play this game. The deck hasn't done too badly so far. It won its first 4 games. Not on account of Elise though. Miracle just holds up better than I expected I guess. So far I have yet to actually draw into the Golden Monkey before having lethal anyway. :p

Apathy

I don't mean any offense, but 'weapon' rogue was a thing way before oil came out already. A friend and I called a certain Rogue deck that and it was very weapon-heavy, obviously. I think it also had stuff like Captain Greenskin in it. In fact, it wasn't too bad if I remember right. It just got destroyed by a well-timed Harrison or even an Ooze as the point of the deck was to upgrade your weapons. Even a taunt like Sludge Belcher could be a killer if you didn't have a sap ready. These days such a deck would probably look very different though.

I've been playing a little Miracle Rogue again. With Elise in it. It's my latest 'experiment.' I'm very likely not the first person to try this though. Too many people play this game. The deck hasn't done too badly so far. It won its first 4 games. Not on account of Elise though. Miracle just holds up better than I expected I guess. So far I have yet to actually draw into the Golden Monkey before having lethal anyway. :p

9 times out of 10 that's what happens with a lot of my Elise decks. The game is over by my win or loss before the golden monkey is out.

ViviOggi

Elise is only a win condition in control matchups, I can count the times I drew and played the monkey against even midrange decks on one hand. And since ladder is 90% aggro/midrange...

It's not bad in Miracle Rogue since it's an okay 4-drop, I recall Savjz running it some time ago.

Why would I possibly take offense? It's just a name... seems really silly that someone would take offense to you calling a different deck the same generic name as I did for a likely completely different deck. I've called a lot of my rogue decks "weapon rogue", more or less. It's just a name and means very little, which is why the fact that oil is being taken out of oil rogue means nothing towards the archetype.

gutshot

The class cards seem to not be what I'm looking. If your C'Thun has stats, gain more stats.

The Divine Shield C'Thun card works, but even that doesn't actually do much to Big-C besides a stat buff. The interaction I'm looking for is giving more than stats (Divine Shield, Taunt, Windfury, Enrage, etc.) to C'Thun or sacrificing something to bring him out quicker, like a summoning ritual.

As it stands now, every class is going to have to have a C'Thun exclusive card, all of which will not be equal by the very nature of how each class plays. The one who wins is the one that gets a card which subverts the standard action of "Play Cultist - Wait to Draw C'Thun". There doesn't seem to be much room for 2 old gods in a deck if you need all the pieces for 1 to work properly. And if everyone is playing C'Thuns n' Ladders, why would I play the class with the least to gain?

C'Thun is the only Old God that requires specific minions to make work. We haven't seen what Yogg or Y'shaarj do yet, but it's definitely possible you may want to run them in conjunction with each other or with N'Zoth.

But remember, the Old Gods are all 10-mana minions. Do you really want a deck with more than one 10-mana minion? Seems pretty greedy.

Dahbomb

I wonder if one of the Old Gods will break some of your opponent's mana crystals. That would be a pretty wild ability.
Considering that these old gods are 10 mana... breaking crystals at 10 mana isn't all that unless is something crazy like you break 5 of their crystals.

Are there any websites that go into the algorithms for card draw in Arena and non-Arena modes?

I feel like Arena is SO much more consistent at giving me playable hands at the start of the match. I can have a deck that is 50% high cost cards, and I still almost always get a playable hand. In constructed play, I can have decks that are 75% two mana and less cards, and I'll draw all high-end stuff.

Arena also tends to give me the same few low-cost cards every draw, and it's way too often to feel like it's a coincidence. Has any research been done on this?

Considering that these old gods are 10 mana... breaking crystals at 10 mana isn't all that unless is something crazy like you break 5 of their crystals.
I was thinking 5.

We need a corrupted emperor, raise cost of opponents hand by 1 mana at the end of every turn.
Haha, that would be way too good. You just killed a C'Thun deck with a battlecry on turn 6 or something.

georly

Having my opponent break my crystals without me getting a chance to counter that is absolutely no fun whatsoever. It'd have to be a deathrattle, but even then it doesn't sound fun. And if it's a deathrattle, you just play it before you play nzoth and then I have to deal with it twice.

Also, brann + that = back to turn 1. No good.

Just reading about Arena's history, and wow:
Early versions of the Forge had players keeping all the cards they drew for their deck. Admission cost several card packs, and would win packs in exchange for achieving wins. One snapshot of the development process shows the player earning a pack for each win above 4, with 10, 15 and 20 wins granting 5, 15, and 30 additional packs.
The devs were way less stingy during early development. Can you even imagine getting 5 packs of cards for 10 wins?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Blizzard doesn't like doing things that they feel players find unfun like being forced to discard cards by your opponent.

I really doubt they would let you break an opponent's mana crystals for similar reasons.

Overdrawing is something that at least lets you have 10 cards in hand by comparison.

georly

Just reading about Arena's history, and wow:

The devs were way less stingy during early development. Can you even imagine getting 5 packs of cards for 10 wins?

or keeping all the cards you drew? Most people would just pick cards they don't own, regardless of how well they'll do. I'd pay several packs to be able to pick and choose cards I don't have.

or keeping all the cards you drew? Most people would just pick cards they don't own, regardless of how well they'll do. I'd pay several packs to be able to pick and choose cards I don't have.
Those legendary picks would be so exciting...

Blizzard doesn't like doing things that they feel players find unfun like being forced to discard cards by your opponent.

I really doubt they would let you break an opponent's mana crystals for similar reasons.

Overdrawing is something that at least lets you have 10 cards in hand by comparison.
Randomly discarding my own cards isn't fun, either. :p

If Blizzard really wanted to remove "unfun" things from the game, they would get rid of Control Warriors and all Priests.

I'm toying around with an oil free deck already. I've already taken out a secret paladin, aggro paladin, and 2 zoolocks.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_03_31_16_11_53_34.png

I've always wanted to toy around with perdition's blade and captain greenskin in a deck. Not that they work especially great with each other, they're more or less included so I can hit 4 damage AOEs easier, of which there are about 9-10 different card combinations which allow me to do that if you count duplicates. It's most important to be able to hit 3 AOE I find, but occasionally you do need to hit harder. And peridtion's blade is pretty good against aggro decks in general, and decks that toss out a bunch of small minions. I feel like it's perhaps a little bit overlooked when it comes to rogue options even in the current format.

There is more anti-aggro tech in the deck, cause it's the end of the season and everyone tends to play more aggro decks than usual.

I wonder if Xaril will be worth it in this deck over tomb pillager. Don't get me wrong, the coin is great but perhaps the 2 toxins will be worth the stat hit.

That card is pretty good, but I don't know why they are going more toward random mechanics over discover. Discover was a huge step up.

You randomly discard your own cards because you chose to play a card with that mechanic. It sacrifices your cards to reduce its own mana cost, but at least YOU made the choice to discard them.
Or, like everyone else who plays a Warlock, I choose not to use the card because it sucks and isn't fun.

Only to see this.

Don't know if it would be worse than seeing the yellow glow before opening a pack and seeing Cho later.
Millhouse Manastorm isn't as bad as people say. There aren't that many spells that wreck your tempo hard in arena by being free.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Getting three spells as your hand is getting low would be really helpful even if they're not ideal.

Obviously if you're behind on board this is a problem, so probably a deck that's exerting good control early on.

georly

Or, like everyone else who plays a Warlock, I choose not to use the card because it sucks and isn't fun.

??? Warlocks use doomguard and soulfire all the time. They're really really strong if they're the last card in your hand, too. And yeah, if it's not fun for you, then of course don't play decks that use them. I don't play secret paladin because it's not fun for me. I'm just saying I appreciate the discard mechanic because it allows for cheaper powerful cards.

manhack

That doesn't seem too good. It's costed the same as draw 3 cards, but you're pulling cards at random rather than from your deck. You could wind up with a bunch of Spellbenders and Vaporizes. I don't see this getting any serious play.

Yeah I think it is really meant as a tool to increase your deck size/options in a fatigue match and would be useful in an Elise style deck. I love discover mechanics for this very reason they allow you to keep having cards in hand throughout the game and against slower match ups.

That said I think the RNG factor is definitely the biggest drawback outside of giving your opponent no idea what to "play around".

??? Warlocks use doomguard and soulfire all the time. They're really really strong if they're the last card in your hand, too. And yeah, if it's not fun for you, then of course don't play decks that use them. I don't play secret paladin because it's not fun for me. I'm just saying I appreciate the discard mechanic because it allows for cheaper powerful cards.
Warlocks use Doomguard because Voidcaller is in the game, and because zoolock can usually have an empty hand by turn 5 to play Doomguard without consequence.

Soulfire is mostly picked through Dark Peddler as a tech option, and again, you usually empty your hand unless it's an emergency (and if it's an emergency, then the discard is usually worth it).

The problem is that Warlock decks are mostly neutral cards. It's downright embarrassing that a typical Handlock deck isn't even 1/3 class cards because they're so terrible. Pitlord, Wrathguard, Felguard, and Succubus are all atrocious. Succubus in particular is the card I'm thinking of being bad with the discard; Dark Bargain is in the same area Doomguard is, and it's fine since it has a high enough cost for you to empty your hand.

I don't mind discarding cards. I mind randomly discarding cards.

So C'Than basically comes with an entire vanilla curve, unbelievably boring. His class cards are super binary as well, either their text is strong enough to include or not. Unless he's got a major mechanic they haven't shown yet I am not impressed whatsoever.

Again, this is the expansion's poster boy while all other legendaries so far range from kind of okay to hypertrash. Elise/Reno/Brann still shit on everything, even Finley is more exciting tbh despite being Spelleater 2.0

There was a Trump video where explained that he THINKS C'Thun is going to be at the top of the good decks (not the great ones). Its purpose is really for people who are just starting the game, especially since everyone gets the card. Its simply an easy to build, highly accessible deck that will win games if curved properly. This is why you and I are not all that excited about those cards, its not really meant for us.

Thats what Trump thinks anyway.

Top Bottom