• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

I feel like it's too easy to get C'thun to 10 attack and get all his minions buffs going.
It's supposed to be that easy, they just don't want you to be running the C'Thun buffed minions in other decks, so the 10 attack is just a "are you running a C'Thun deck" check. They're incentives to run C'Thun decks.

bord

Neo Member
Some of you guys think Evolve is OP? I'm not even sure that it's a good card. I'm pretty sure it'll disappear as soon as people come around to realising that Midrange Shaman is stronger without it.

Here's Loyan's rank 1 EU legend list: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/517685-1-legend-loyans-bloodlust-shaman-wog-cheap
And MrYaguts's top 10 EU legend list: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/513029-top10-totem-shaman-mryagut
NaviOOT's top 50 NA legend list: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChVsUnzUkAE4oux.jpg

I'm not understanding how Evolve can be an issue when it's not even making its way into actual successful Shaman lists.

I recently played Midrange Shaman to legend and every Shaman that ran Evolve that I came across on the ladder seemed weaker than my own.

I really don't think Evolve is even close to OP.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Disciple of Cthun sees play in that Aggro Divine shield Paladin deck. It's in many cases better than Argent Horserider because you can play it after Darkshire, do the 2 damage and still have a Divine Shield minion up for further synergies.

I guess so. I just haven't seen it run in any other decks myself.

Easily the best neutral Cthun enabler though. The others are pretty mediocre/average... I think the next best one is the 4 mana 4/2 Divine Shield.

I would think C'Thun's Chosen is pretty mediocre in C'Thun Priest, because you can't really heal her.

Zoggy

how the fuck do you beat cthun druid?

assholes just taunt up everything then kill you with a burst.just like combo druid, but now the burst is cthun instead of fon roar

fuck druids forever.

Dahbomb

Cthun's Chosen works best in Warrior Cthun deck.

For Druid they want to play that 4/10 on curve after doing the 2 mana 2/3 and Disciple of Cthun for the god curve. They can still get away with also running the 4 mana 4/2.

Priest also has option of the 3/6 Cthun minion.

ZealousD

Some of you guys think Evolve is OP? I'm not even sure that it's a good card. I'm pretty sure it'll disappear as soon as people come around to realising that Midrange Shaman is stronger without it.

I feel like the card might be in the same league as Thunderbluff Valiant. People realized early on that Thunderbluff Valiant could really snowball a game for you if your opponent left your totems unchecked. But once people started playing around it and trading aggressively it became a lot harder to work with because all of your totems were gone.

Levi

Banned
how the fuck do you beat cthun druid?

assholes just taunt up everything then kill you with a burst.just like combo druid, but now the burst is cthun instead of fon roar

fuck druids forever.

C'thun warrior just eats that deck's lunch, drinks its milkshake and doesn't call it in the morning.

Dahbomb

Here's Loyan's rank 1 EU legend list: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/517685-1-legend-loyans-bloodlust-shaman-wog-cheap
And MrYaguts's top 10 EU legend list: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/513029-top10-totem-shaman-mryagut
NaviOOT's top 50 NA legend list: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChVsUnzUkAE4oux.jpg

I'm not understanding how Evolve can be an issue when it's not even making its way into actual successful Shaman lists.

I recently played Midrange Shaman to legend and every Shaman that ran Evolve that I came across on the ladder seemed weaker than my own.

First of all any Shaman deck right now is reaching Legend ranks and high up. The class is ridiculous with or without Evolve. Aggro Shaman doesn't even run Master of Evolution but is still reaching Legends with ease.

Secondly, plenty of people have reached Legend with Evolve Shaman. Like this guy making rank 4 Legend.

Evolve is a new concept where as Midrange Shaman has been around since the invention of HS so the deck isn't even closed to being refined or being experimented on.

Fact of the matter is, Evolve Shaman has had more success than Secret Paladin did back in the day. This deck can only get better. And really... Evolve is just a tech option in Midrange Shaman, you don't even need to build a deck around it. Standard Midrange Shaman cards already work well with Evolve where you can throw one Evolve in for the value factor.

But once people started playing around it and trading aggressively it became a lot harder to work with because all of your totems were gone.
Until a Shaman throws down a cheap Thing from the Deep, another solid body, hero power and Evolve to suddenly get back into the game with a massive board.

The 1 mana cost of Evolve makes it far easier to use than Thunderbuff Valiant and other similar snowball/win more cards. You can't even call a card like this clunky.

I think they wanted the ability to shadowstep gods. Besides, hasn't rogue suffered enough? Shadowstep is a barely used card anyway. Paladin gets to revive tirion, why can't rogue use nzoth twice?
I'm going to take this as sarcasm.

I feel like the card might be in the same league as Thunderbluff Valiant. People realized early on that Thunderbluff Valiant could really snowball a game for you if your opponent left your totems unchecked. But once people started playing around it and trading aggressively it became a lot harder to work with because all of your totems were gone.
I've beaten most Evolve Shamans by just continually killing their totems. It's a pain in the butt, but it works.

ZealousD

Cthun's Chosen works best in Warrior Cthun deck.

For Druid they want to play that 4/10 on curve after doing the 2 mana 2/3 and Disciple of Cthun for the god curve. They can still get away with also running the 4 mana 4/2.

Priest also has option of the 3/6 Cthun minion.

I don't even run Beckoner of Evil in my C'Thun Druid deck. I feel it's much better to commit to ramping. I run 2x Disciples, 2x C'Thun's Chosen, and 2x Dark Arakkoa. That's it. I miss the Turn 4 Amberweaver dream but in return I can run stuff like Ragnaros and Ancient of War like a more traditional Ramp Druid as well as sliding in 2x Raven Idol for the Fandral Staghelm synergy.

inky

Cult Sorcerer also sees play outside of C'Thun decks. 3/2 with Spell damage is premium stats, especially with cards like Arcane Blast around.

That's get a 3/2 minion and kill a 4 health minion for 3 mana.

Brofist

Top ranked players tend to stay away from too many RNG type cards. Doesn't mean Evolve isn't a powerful card. Anyway there's more to the game than what the top 50 legend players are playing. It's a fun card.

ZealousD

Cult Sorcerer also sees play outside of C'Thun decks. 3/2 with Spell damage is premium stats, especially with cards like Arcane Blast around.

That's get a 3/2 minion and kill a 4 health minion for 3 mana.

Well, we were talking about neutrals and Cult Sorcerer doesn't help you get to the magic number of 10 in quite the same way. Nor does that even help you that much because your only minion synergy in Mage is the Twin Emps.

Dahbomb

What seem to be the best new legendaries? Twin Emperor, Nzgoth?
Cthun
Twin Emperor
Nzoth
Xaril
Ragnaros Lightlord

These are probably top 5 at the moment.

Stanghelm is solid too. I saw a play today where someone played him on turn 4 and next turn did Nourish, which drew into Wrath and used that Wrath with the extra mana crystals he gained that turn to kill a minion for 4 damage and draw another card.

Levi

Banned
Evolve is under costed. Being able to trade and then turn all your damaged minions into new ones that aren't damaged is too powerful to only cost one mana.

Aggro Shaman is the real issue, though. I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking with Flamewreathed Faceless. It's not like that deck needed any more help in steam rolling people, but it got it anyway.

Evolve is under costed. Being able to trade and then turn all your damaged minions into new ones that aren't damaged is too powerful to only cost one mana.

Aggro Shaman is the real issue, though. I have no idea what Blizzard was thinking with Flamewreathed Faceless. It's not like that deck needed any more help in steam rolling people, but it got it anyway.
It needed consistency! Geez!

On the note of Faceless, I drafted 2 in Arena. In this match against a poor Priest, I dropped 2 in a row, then Mukla while I had Spirit Wolves on the board.

Oscar

Yeah Aggro Shaman is a monster right now, especially with how cheap Evolve is.

Dahbomb

Worst thing about playing against Shamans is that they have the exact same problem as Paladins now too long ago where you would be 5 turns into the match and you have no idea what deck you are really facing against.

Every Shaman runs Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem, Tuskar Totemic, Faceless Wreath with Rockbiters, Feral Spirits and Doomhammers.

Levi

Banned
I haven't used all the new legendaries, but so far my top five (in no order):

• Fandral Swaghelm (Druid)
  • N'Zoth
  • Xaril (Rogue)
  • Twin Emperor
  • Malkorok (Warrior)

The next legendary I craft is going to be Ragnaros, Lightlord.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In truth, Flamewreathed is what Overload always should've been. The state of Overload at release and for the years following release felt like a mechanic that was overtuned into uselessness. I assume they'll dial back Overload in the next expansion but I wonder if the same thing isn't going to happen with Divine Shield and Enrage. Darkshire Steward and Bloodhoof Brave seem to indicate as much.

Dahbomb

People kept saying that overload was an awful mechanic enough that they started to take it to heart.
Overload is still an awful mechanic in HS but that doesn't mean they can't make over powered Overload cards.

Just like how Mysterious Challenger is an awfully designed card but is still over powered garbage.

Levi

Banned
Flamewreathed is kind of a joke if you're Paladin, so many ways to deal with it. Equality, Uldaman, Aldor, Kings, seal. It doesn't stand a chance.

How does a Druid handle a turn 4 Flamewreathed? Mulch? I was trying to ladder with my Swaghelm deck this evening and I saw 5 consecutive aggro Shamans. Guess it's all tryhards trying to get to rank 5 but Jesus Christ what a shitshow.

Overload is still an awful mechanic in HS but that doesn't mean they can't make over powered Overload cards.

Just like how Mysterious Challenger is an awfully designed card but is still over powered garbage.
Yeah but what would you do if you're Blizzard? It's too late to now quit doing overload, they'd have to reprint a LOT of cards and think of another way to use it that's not stupid.

Overload by design either gives you crap cards or OP ones.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
6000 dust and nothing interesting to spend it on.

Opened about 90 packs including free packs.

Everything good I already have. Got lucky.

Milennia

ok so heres an update, (probably wont change since like an hour left and they are camping)

R1 is freeze mage in NA by like 6 wins or something nuts now
R2 is hybrid shaman in NA by 2 wins

Zoggy

6000 dust and nothing interesting to spend it on.

Opened about 90 packs including free packs.

Everything good I already have. Got lucky.

i have had the best luck, opened 120 or 130 packs

legendaries

2 x yogg
2 x ysharj
2 x lightlord

golden soggoth
golden hogger

nzoth
malkorok
anomalous

and thats without crafting. best week ever.

I've only got 3 legendaries but they were Rag, Fandral and Yogg so I really can't complain. All 3 very fun cards(2 of them super strong too). I don't play Rogue(yet) so don't care about Xaril, only legendaries I really want are Nzoth and Twin Emps(though I'm not sure I want to play C'Thun decks anymore).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ok so heres an update, (probably wont change since like an hour left and they are camping)

How do you get this information?

Danj

Seriously dude, this is the easiest time to ladder, check this nice deck

Screen_Shot_2016_04_30_at_21_29_19.png

I've got Antonidas now but no Ragnaros. Also I'm assuming as it's the new season it's no longer the easiest time to ladder?

Dahbomb

BTW is WHO AM I really not worth to play at Standard even a bit lol

Beautiful sight tho
I played it and it's not that bad to be honest. Got almost to rank 5 with it as soon as Standard hit.

I play it in more Midrange fashion. Mysterious Challenger still carries if you can make it that far.

It's not broken like Shaman so people will not use it. Secret Paladin basically works like Shaman decks in that they just win more and if you aren't winning from turn 1/2/3 then you are losing.

Also you can play a Cthun Secret Paladin variant too.

Tarazet

Doesn't surprise me, so far Freeze has been far and away the best deck for me in Standard. It feels like it picked up right where it left off, and a lot of people are running janky midrange decks with predictable ramp that is easy to handle as Mage. I've been surprised at how consistently Doomsayer gets handled, but at least that's damage that wasn't directed to my face.

Anyone having issues purchasing packs? I tried today and yesterday but I get stuck waiting at the authorization screen. Never had this issue in all my time with the game.

Edit: Literally moments after posting this, the purchase went through.

Tarazet

You forget to preface this by saying you practically have to dedicate six cards to accomplish this and have a great draw. If you don't have SWH or Soul Circle then the game is over after the evolve hits. Please don't spread misinformation. Kthxbye.

Bullshit. I had a string of losses against C'thun Priests as Aggro Shaman. All of them were accomplished by just trading their god curves into mine and then simply healing up. Didn't even need the taunts. Also, aggro doesn't run evolve, there is no synergy whatsoever. The hybrid deck is a different beast.

Werd

Anyone know a good streamer that was running the N'Zoth Rogue decks? I like it but I don't think I'm playing it very well yet, want to watch some high level.

Top Bottom