• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Only if they can't control when they go face. Against most decks I've faced, the players will trade down to one small minion proc the trap, and then play their cards. Pretty weak show in most cases. Hunter is all I play, and I've used all of the traps a lot. Explosive Trap is the weakest. Maybe if you're playing Control Hunter, if that ever becomes a thing.

And forcing your aggro opponent to trade isn't winning you games?

Nzoth hunter is great.

Rarely need nzoth but it's a great late game card to have. It has won me a few matches.
I think the deck is suboptimal. Beast Hunter hasn't let me down yet. Scavenging Hyena is my favorite Hunter card now - drop him with UTH and buff him up to a 10/7 or whatever. For a 2-drop!

And forcing your aggro opponent to trade isn't winning you games?
Most people already want to trade with Hunter. You certainly don't win by going face...

EmiPrime

I think the deck is suboptimal. Beast Hunter hasn't let me down yet. Scavenging Hyena is my favorite Hunter card now - drop him with UTH and buff him up to a 10/7 or whatever. For a 2-drop!

Most people already want to trade with Hunter. You certainly don't win by going face...

Tempted to drop my toads for hyenas now.

Tempted to drop my toads for hyenas now.
Do it.

Look at all this synergy:
Infested Wolf
Snake Trap
Unleash the Hounds

So many ways to beef up your Hyena through trades. It basically lets you stop going face so you can value tempo play, and you get rewarded with more face damage at the end. :-O

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lost to a Control Elise Shaman because I played into Elemental Destruction as Patron.

Feels super bad but honestly i had 0 indication he was playing control.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Everyone was like "NERF BGH!"

And then they nerfed BGH and everyone is like "WTF FLAMEWREATHED and SEA GIANT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE."

I'm not saying BGH didn't need a nerf (it did, the tempo swing you got with that card was too much) but BGH would have made Flamewreathed a lot worse.

BGH was a problem that needed addressed(which happended). Flamewreathed should have never been printed.

Lost to a Control Elise Shaman because I played into Elemental Destruction as Patron.

Feels super bad but honestly i had 0 indication he was playing control.
I've come to like King's Elekk because he gives me a bit of insight into my opponent's deck. I fought a Hunter, and King's Elekk showed me he had Sylvannas. I didn't win the Joust, but I now know he's playing N'Zoth Hunter. I like Thoughtsteal for the same reason. I played against Dahbomb last night, and using Thoughtsteal let me know he had a Doombringer and Ice Block. I know what deck that is!

StayDead

I'm thinking about adding a wild pyromancer to my paladin deck for the added "cheaper" board clear than Equality and Consecration as my deck is finding it hard vs minion spam early.

I'm sitting on 11k dust, the wild pyromancer looks cool, but should I craft the golden? I guess I could craft some legendaries, but I think I've got the ones I want for my deck already and want to builld a whole golden deck if possible.

After extensive testing, Renouce Darkness is a terrible card.
This is like when a scientific study confirms that exercise makes you healthier.

I'm thinking about adding a wild pyromancer to my paladin deck for the added "cheaper" board clear than Equality and Consecration as my deck is finding it hard vs minion spam early.

I'm sitting on 11k dust, the wild pyromancer looks cool, but should I craft the golden? I guess I could craft some legendaries, but I think I've got the ones I want for my deck already and want to builld a whole golden deck if possible.
Definitely craft Wild Pyromancer. Up to you if it's golden. Wild Pyromancer + Equality is a great combo.

StayDead

This is like when a scientific study confirms that exercise makes you healthier.

Definitely craft Wild Pyromancer. Up to you if it's golden. Wild Pyromancer + Equality is a great combo.

Yeah, I find I'm losing lots to just not having concecration and equality at the same time so it might help.

Tagyhag

I think I've transcended Kripp's RNG.

Just went 1-3 on Arena because a Spreading Madness hit my face 7 times with 5 minions on the board.

Yeah, I find I'm losing lots to just not having concecration and equality at the same time so it might help.
The best part is that it isn't overlap. Equality + Pyromancer wipes the board, and then Consecration is functional on its own.

I need to stop letting Flamewalkers stay alive so long.
KILL AT ALL COSTS.

I think I've transcended Kripp's RNG.

Just went 1-3 on Arena because a Spreading Madness hit my face 7 times with 5 minions on the board.
I do my best to avoid random in Arena for this reason. Even if it's the suboptimal pick. The only exception is maybe Mad Bomber, because as a 2-drop you aren't risking much and he has great returns if he does well.

Too facey? So what am I supposed to do then? What's the answer to a C'Thun deck?
Play and form your own opinions - you won't find unified ones here.

Dart

aIdT8SP.png

Lived the dream, that was fun... stole like half his deck in this game LOL

Hycran

Banned
My pirate warrior is the truth, here is the list if you want to try it. Spider pirate tank is good enough to drop on 3 but if you get the value... Shiieeetttt. I've played a bunch of games where I never didn't have a buffed weapon. You also can't underestimate how powerful it is to get a 4 attack power on turn 2 against shaman. Recommendations appreciated. Also hard counters the death rattle decks.

2 x Execute
2 x Upgrade
2 x N'Zoths first mate
2 x Fiery War Axe
2 x Cruel Taskmaster
2 x Southsea Raider
1 x Slam
2 x Bash
2 x Shield Slam
2 x Southsea Pirate
2 x Bloodsail cultist
2 x acolyte of pain
1 x Blackwater pirate
2 x Dreadscale Corsairs
1 x Arcanite Reaper
1 x Brawl
1 x Gorehowl
1 x Captain Greenskin

I've come to like King's Elekk because he gives me a bit of insight into my opponent's deck. I fought a Hunter, and King's Elekk showed me he had Sylvannas. I didn't win the Joust, but I now know he's playing N'Zoth Hunter. I like Thoughtsteal for the same reason. I played against Dahbomb last night, and using Thoughtsteal let me know he had a Doombringer and Ice Block. I know what deck that is!

This is why I like Thoughtsteal. It is super slow, but besides the card advantage, it gives amazing info about the deck you're facing. And damn, if my Shadow Reno Priest Thoughtsteals my opponent's Reno? They're straight cooked.

Apathy

what do you have if you don't run double pyro? it should always be in paladin decks for the consistency when you can't draw consecrate with equality

EmiPrime

Do it.

Look at all this synergy:
Infested Wolf
Snake Trap
Unleash the Hounds

So many ways to beef up your Hyena through trades. It basically lets you stop going face so you can value tempo play, and you get rewarded with more face damage at the end. :-O

I like it so far. Only time I miss the toads is early game when there's a 2-3 on the board.

Too facey? So what am I supposed to do then? What's the answer to a C'Thun deck?

Consider 2x Houndmaster and 2x Savannah Highmane. Infested Wolf is good too and it's a common. 2x Call of the Wild is a win condition if you have the dust to make them.

Ladekabel

So, this happened.

I got Mind Vision from Huckster. From the Mind Vision I got Entomb. Later I sapped his Blood of the Ancient one. A few turns after that he played it again. I entombed it this time. Then he plays two Shifting Shades. I kill them and he gets a copy of Blood of the Ancient One. He plays it, I can't deal with it. I got a Sylvanas on board and clear a Cleric he plays.
He attacks me with the Blood and brings me down to two. He plays another Cleric and then drops Herald. He gets a copy of both his minions and forms the Ancient One. I clear his Clerics with my Pillagers and attack my Sylvanas in his Herald to get the Ancient One.
"Wow..."
He plays Confessor, gets a not useful minion, concedes and doesn't give me the chance to attack with the Ancient One.

This game is great!

tylerf

I've already received like 4 angry friend requests from playing Yogg Mage since the expansion launched. I keep hoping it'll be someone who doesn't take the game so seriously but not yet.

Tagyhag

You know what's the only thing worse than a Rogue in arena?

A Rogue that gets a perfect curve with perfect answers until you die.

There is no deck that can beat that.

Edit: 1-3 with a great Tempo Mage deck thanks to 3 Rogues. Yeah I'm quitting arena for a few weeks.

I like it so far. Only time I miss the toads is early game when there's a 2-3 on the board.

Consider 2x Houndmaster and 2x Savannah Highmane. Infested Wolf is good too and it's a common. 2x Call of the Wild is a win condition if you have the dust to make them.
Actually, between the Hyenas and the Knife Jugglers, I've realized that my turn 2 can have some pretty weak outcomes unless I have a trap or King's Elekk. So I went down to 1x Juggler and 1x Hyena for those big win combos, and added 2 Toads. Just letting you know where I am. I haven't tested the new formulation yet, but with so many C'Thun decks I need to be able to kill a 2/3 on turn 2.

Ladekabel

Want to play more Arena. Choose Rogue, get a shit draft with which I can't motivate me to play. I retire it immediatly. Get a pack and a handful of gold. Open the pack and get a legendary (another Soggoth).

10/10, would do again.

EmiPrime

Actually, between the Hyenas and the Knife Jugglers, I've realized that my turn 2 can have some pretty weak outcomes unless I have a trap or King's Elekk. So I went down to 1x Juggler and 1x Hyena for those big win combos, and added 2 Toads. Just letting you know where I am. I haven't tested the new formulation yet, but with so many C'Thun decks I need to be able to kill a 2/3 on turn 2.

This is where I am at:

zu50Wqd.png

So far I have gone from rank 20 to 13 (didn't really play last month). I feel like I am 1 or 2 adjustments off from being satisfied with this deck. I am going to drop the Snake Trap and a hyena for a second bow and a a second grub I think. Very rarely do I get to use Huhuran on the Highmane but she's a decent body... not 100% convinced by her.

I actually just had a game card hang on me...and it somehow detected it before I was even sure and reconnected me. I'm impressed. I had a crazy lethal combination so... I would have been pissed and probably stopped playing if I lost due to it.

Also this was just sick.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_05_01_16_16_28_13.jpg

And I top decked eviscerate.

8 mana maly enabled:

7 damage toxin from xaril, a second 7 damage toxin from xaril, 8 damage from sinister strike, 9 damage from eviscerate = 31 damage.

Pooya

Dragon Priest is pretty good, people are sleeping on it.

I present to you guys my home-brewed Secret Cthun Paladin:

*Use Cthun minions for early game board presence with Secrets to keep them guessing.

*Secret Keeper as strong turn 1 play with Secret follow ups (it still works like a pseudo under taker, nothing has changed on that front)

*Turn 3 and Turn 4 you have good board control tools with stuff like Disciple of Cthun, Aldor, Truesilver GG and Keeper of Uldaman.

*Transition into mid game to late game with Mysterious Challenger which thins your deck allowing you to more consistently draw into Cthun/Twin Emperor.

*Twin Emperor, Tirion and Cthun as late game finishers in case MC isn't able to close out games.

*Single copy of Divine Favor to help with draws, still lots of greedy decks in meta that can be punished by it.

Pretty decent Midrange deck, got almost to rank 5 with it before I started experimenting with other stuff. MC's ability to pull out secrets is still game breaking and you just need to formulate a game plan to get to that stage. MC will often buy you a turn or two to get into the Cthun finishers.

I'm playing this, ayy lmao. So many awkward responses. I actually cut C'Thun and put Rag in there instead, MUCH BETTER.

Owzers

was 3-0 in arena and Ysera pretty much won me the game as the board was fairly clear between us trading back and forth. Yogg servant mage card screwed me in the midgame, summoned Renounce darkness and my hero power went to warrior. :/

ViviOggi

was 3-0 in arena and Ysera pretty much won me the game as the board was fairly clear between us trading back and forth. Yogg servant mage card screwed me in the midgame, summoned Renounce darkness and my hero power went to warrior. :/
I was forced to pick that shitter in my otherwise solid Mage draft, not looking forward to it

This is where I am at:

zu50Wqd.png

So far I have gone from rank 20 to 13 (didn't really play last month). I feel like I am 1 or 2 adjustments off from being satisfied with this deck. I am going to drop the Snake Trap and a hyena for a second bow and a a second grub I think. Very rarely do I get to use Huhuran on the Highmane but she's a decent body... not 100% convinced by her.

grubs are where it's at. Use them in my list and haven't been disappointed yet

Moonlight

Banned
For a while I was thinking I was lucky that I was never summoning Vitality Totem with my Tuskarr, but then I realized that it went out with GvG. Those indirect Standard format buffs.

I was actually pretty positive about that card until I actually saw it get played against me several times, at best it's a net zero in which case you played a 5/4 for 5. Very rarely does it actually go well for you, it has to pick a useful spell AND it has to aim at the right target.

Yogg-Saron is more consistent because with all of the spells it plays it ends up evening out the RNG by the end(more than servant anyway).

Top Bottom