• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Epix

If you have a small collection, then it's all about crafting multiple rares/epics to fill out a basic deck. Don't start with legendaries. I hit rank 5 two seasons in a row without a single legendary in my deck, so you really just need to figure out one deck you want to make that you can afford now.

I'm just not into delaying damage. I like solutions to problems.

I've seen Rogues use Doomsayer + Conceal effectively.

Good Paladin ideas.

How do I go about deciding which decks I'm closest to building? Is there any place I can enter all my cards and have it tell me which decks I'm close to building and which cards I need?

Dahbomb

I'm just not into delaying damage. I like solutions to problems.

I've seen Rogues use Doomsayer + Conceal effectively.

Good Paladin ideas.
You aren't delaying damage, you are skipping the opponent's turn.

If they play something on turn 1, you play Doomsayer, their turn 2 is skipped. This gives you freedom to do something on turn 3 that can't be readily answered by your opponent. For control/late game oriented deck that is a vital aspect of their win condition.

The difficult part is knowing when to use Doomsayer. Shaman plays turn 1 Tunnel Trogg, you anticipate turn 2 Totem Golem thinking it's Aggro Shaman or turn 2 Flametongue Totem laying down the Doomsayer. However, it's not aggro Shaman it's just Midrange Shaman and they are fine with one turn delay and then they can amass a bigger board later on and kill you with Bloodlust.

Honestly, it's one of the most difficult cards to play properly. A lot of it rides on knowing your opponent's deck/option/hand and reading the situation.

I also just remembered there are a lot less deathrattle minions that leave new minions behind, so doomsayer got a bit stronger because of that too. Less silence and less sticky deathrattles.

Levi

Banned
How do I go about deciding which decks I'm closest to building? Is there any place I can enter all my cards and have it tell me which decks I'm close to building and which cards I need?

Hearthpwn.com, and you can automatically upload your collection with their Innkeeper application for Windows. Once your collection is synced, you can instantly see how much dust you need for any deck in their site.

A 1:1 off doomsayer is actually just fine. More importantly, it gives you the first opportunity to establish a board after it goes off. It's a very solid card and has been for a while. But the common usage of silence and it being a weaker situational late game drop stopped a lot of decks from running it.

Late game it can still protect the rest of your board, giving you a foothold to get back into the game, sometimes.

Funnily enough, I have not come across a single owl since standard. It's usually removals being burned to get rid doom. I'm gonna try a variation without it, but for now I see it as indispensable for having board control / regaining board or just keeping it clear until turn 4.

Epix

Hearthpwn.com, and you can automatically upload your collection with their Innkeeper application for Windows. Once your collection is synced, you can instantly see how much dust you need for any deck in their site.

Thanks, will try.

Are their decks usually better than tempostorm?

Levi

Banned
Thanks, will try.

Are their decks usually better than tempostorm?

I wouldn't use a tempostorm list. Your opponent will know exactly what you have in your deck which gives them an advantage.

Hearthpwn has good and bad lists. Usually reading the comments will give you an idea of how a deck performs.

Fishlake

So I've fallen even further up the ladder using aggro. flooding the board while not over reaching with Zoolock can be an easy way to ladder.

Only played a couple games but I'm past the rank 15 checkpoint now for that golden rare. Earliest I've ever been here. I hope this is the month.

You aren't delaying damage, you are skipping the opponent's turn.

If they play something on turn 1, you play Doomsayer, their turn 2 is skipped. This gives you freedom to do something on turn 3 that can't be readily answered by your opponent. For control/late game oriented deck that is a vital aspect of their win condition.

The difficult part is knowing when to use Doomsayer. Shaman plays turn 1 Tunnel Trogg, you anticipate turn 2 Totem Golem thinking it's Aggro Shaman or turn 2 Flametongue Totem laying down the Doomsayer. However, it's not aggro Shaman it's just Midrange Shaman and they are fine with one turn delay and then they can amass a bigger board later on and kill you with Bloodlust.

Honestly, it's one of the most difficult cards to play properly. A lot of it rides on knowing your opponent's deck/option/hand and reading the situation.
But if Doomsayer dies without removal, it's just delay. No board is cleared. I'd rather use a Frostbolt to kill Trogg than Doomsayer.

I look through decks on hearthpwn and hearthstonetopdecks (why isn't this website talked about more?). Then I pick one and try to build it. Then I play it. Then I alter it so I like it.

Levi

Banned
I look through decks on hearthpwn and hearthstonetopdecks (why isn't this website talked about more?). Then I pick one and try to build it. Then I play it. Then I alter it so I like it.

HsTopDecks I like to see what is being brought to tournaments or what a streamer is using.

Tournament meta isn't always applicable to the ladder meta, so those lists aren't always the best to copy, but I've found a lot of good inspiration from tournament lists.

Dahbomb

But if Doomsayer dies without removal, it's just delay. No board is cleared. I'd rather use a Frostbolt to kill Trogg than Doomsayer.
A delay can be game winning.

You can use Frostbolt to kill a Trogg but Frostbolt won't skip their next turn. What will happen is that they will play a Totem Golem next turn and have board initiate. When you play Doomsayer into Trogg, you kill the Trogg AND deny the Totem Golem turn giving you initiative on your turn. That's an entire turn that you bought for free with Doomsayer which can be the difference between win and lose for a control/combo deck.

If Doomsayer took 7+ damage to remove in the early game then that's 7 damage you didn't take to face which can give you some breathing room to set something up.

Tarazet

Then it's 2 mana heal for 7, which is still good.

Depends on your game plan. Freeze uses it for stall because it can take upwards of 10 turns before the right cards are in hand, and you spend a lot of turns with no board because you are cycling for combo. So you have to use every trick in the book to stay alive. Most control decks use a combination of board control and removal so it's not as valuable.

Levi

Banned
I accidentally queued my death rattle paladin in ranked, which I didn't want to do since I'm 2-5 with it, but then I mopped the floor with some dumb Aggro shaman who BMed nonstop. When I cleared his board 3 turns in a row, healed for 20 and then when I played Nzoth to bring back Sylvanis when he was in top deck mode he conceded.

Pooya

Playing Sylvanas in N'Zoth paly against control warrior seems like to be the one way to lose that match. Dog was playing last night, his opponent was a really good control warrior player. He just waited until Dog played N'Zoth, doomsayer shield slam the sylvanas. Then next turn he brawled. Paladin loses in fatigue then. Pretty cool match and very hard for the warrior, this is the way to win.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Playing Sylvanas in N'Zoth paly against control warrior seems like to be the one way to lose that match. Dog was playing last night, his opponent was a really good control warrior player. He just waited until Dog played N'Zoth, doomsayer shield slam the sylvanas. Then next turn he brawled. Paladin loses in fatigue then. Pretty cool match and very hard for the warrior, this is the way to win.
Sick play.

All but two of my losses this season have been to C'Thun decks.

I have Things From Below, Defender of Argus, Feral Spirits, Sylvanas, one Earth Shock, two Hexes, Lightning Storms and Lightning Bolts, and he still somehow gets on the board.

C'Thun cards are the counter to mid-range Shaman. If you survive to C'Thun, you win most likely.

Those twins are starting to get to me.

Ken

All but two of my losses this season have been to C'Thun decks.

I have Things From Below, Defender of Argus, Feral Spirits, Sylvanas, one Earth Shock, two Hexes, Lightning Storms and Lightning Bolts, and he still somehow gets on the board.

C'Thun cards are the counter to mid-range Shaman. If you survive to C'Thun, you win most likely.

Those twins are starting to get to me.

The feast of souls begins now!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Hahahaha. So I had a guy down to 9 health with ZooLock (quests). I was one off lethal. But then the power flickers and I have to shut the game down to attend to work panic.

"Welp, another game lost."

I log back in and the game tells me I won. Guy conceded after I disconnected 😅. I'd bet he thought I was BM'ing.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Man Divine Shield Paladin is hilarious. Any deck without a 3 damage removal spell is just boned once you get the minions out. You can see opponents getting frustrated as they have no way to clear a 3 mana 3/3 from behind your wall of 1/1 Divine Shield Taunts and weapons. Even if they do end up clearing it (Swipe is a pretty good spell, y'all), your board still can't be cleared because your 1/1s became 2/2s at some point.

Definitely has a bad matchup against Tempo Mage and probably Freeze Mage, but I haven't faced any Freeze Mages so I couldn't say. Making those Darkshire Councilman into 3/3s is so clutch. Fuck that card so so much.

Man Divine Shield Paladin is hilarious. Any deck without a 3 damage removal spell is just boned once you get the minions out. You can see opponents getting frustrated as they have no way to clear a 3 mana 3/3 from behind your wall of 1/1 Divine Shield Taunts and weapons. Even if they do end up clearing it (Swipe is a pretty good spell, y'all), your board still can't be cleared because your 1/1s became 2/2s at some point.

Definitely has a bad matchup against Tempo Mage and probably Freeze Mage, but I haven't faced any Freeze Mages so I couldn't say. Making those Darkshire Councilman into 3/3s is so clutch. Fuck that card so so much.

Wild Pyromaster + Coin loves Bubble Pally.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
they rotated out naxx and gvg so I guess next year will be BRM and TGT?

Blizzard has said it is based on the years of release. Naxx and GvG went out because they were both released in 2014 (GvG came out in December). Assuming they follow the stated plan, that would mean that BRM, TGT, and LOE would all rotate out next year.

Ken

Blizzard has said it is based on the years of release. Naxx and GvG went out because they were both released in 2014 (GvG came out in December). Assuming they follow the stated plan, that would mean that BRM, TGT, and LOE would all rotate out next year.

oic

i wasn't playing at all when gvg and tgt + the standard/wild news came out so i wasn't sure

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
if it's been a while since i played and i don't have many cards and almost nothing from the expansions, what's the best mode to play to grind some new cards?

FeD.nL

Well today was trying out C'Thun Druid and I think I finally have a list I really enjoy playing.

oFtGsxh.png

I might swap out one of the elders but overall I'm really happy with it. I had C'thun's chosen but I dunno, card felt awkward when ramping. I mostly wanted to have more bigger threats.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Well today was trying out C'Thun Druid and I think I finally have a list I really enjoy playing.

I might swap out one of the elders but overall I'm really happy with it. I had C'thun's chosen but I dunno, card felt awkward when ramping. I mostly wanted to have more bigger threats.

I feel like running the elders is a mistake. If you are playing Wild Growth you'll be skipping your Turn 3 a lot of the time. I would think you would actually want Cthuns Chosen over the Elders and that you should be saving your innervates for bigger drops like Dark Arrakoa.

Also, why not Klaxxi Amberweaver? Or Brann? I know Fandral Staghelm is real but I feel you might be over saturated with Choose Ones.

You know, I will get Priest to work in this meta, but right now, I'm literally stuck at rank 18-20. I used to easily climb with Control Priest, but phew, this is rough. Tried N'Zoth Priest and C'thun Priest and Reno Shadow C'thun so far; RSC seems the best, but I'm still testing all three.

Getting desperate. Considering trying some Divine Spirit/Inner Fire nonsense, that's how bad it has gotten.

fuck lightning storm

that is all
Why? It's just a clear spell.

:(

You know, I will get Priest to work in this meta, but right now, I'm literally stuck at rank 18-20. I used to easily climb with Control Priest, but phew, this is rough. Tried N'Zoth Priest and C'thun Priest and Reno Shadow C'thun so far; RSC seems the best, but I'm still testing all three.

Getting desperate. Considering trying some Divine Spirit/Inner Fire nonsense, that's how bad it has gotten.
I hear Dragon Priest is legit. I'd be keen on you trying my Shadowdragon Priest deck and telling me how it goes.

Tarazet

if it's been a while since i played and i don't have many cards and almost nothing from the expansions, what's the best mode to play to grind some new cards?

Daily quests. See if you can get good at Arena, there is a chance of getting a second pack at 3-3 or so I've been told. Grinding out gold in any mode takes a soul crushing long time.

Dart

I'm testing N'Zoth priest fluctuating rank ~15... switching cards around for best fit atm....

I'm testing N'Zoth priest fluctuating rank ~15... switching cards around for best fit atm....

The major problem ibsee is how few good Deathrattles there are. I'm considering dropping Museum Curator honestly since it is so slow with not enough impact. Might throw in two Wild Pyros instead.

Raxus

There are some good priest lists that are pretty solid that will get you up pretty high on the list thanks to it's survivalist nature.

Apathy

Funnily enough, I have not come across a single owl since standard. It's usually removals being burned to get rid doom. I'm gonna try a variation without it, but for now I see it as indispensable for having board control / regaining board or just keeping it clear until turn 4.

I saw one owl so far (hunter) but a few spellbreakers.

fgsjgsdjkgsjkdgh this fucking game.
Why even play control, when you are at the mercy of your mulligan.
Aggo is just way more faster and consistent.

Dahbomb

Of course it is, it's mathematically stacked that way.

An aggro deck is likely to have 2/3rds of its deck playable in the first 3 turns. Control decks have about a third of their tools that can be played in the first 3 turns and only if the other deck plays something.

Meaning the aggro deck is far likely to play minions on curve at start than a Priest is likely to have Shadow Pains in hand to counter.

Fact of the matter is aggro decks can get away with having all in decks with low curve, control decks can't afford to do that they need to account for the entire spectrum.

Tarazet

Aggro mulligan isn't easy either. Like the optimal use of Bladed Cultist in each matchup, really tricky and rewarding when you read it right. I really think most of the skill in HS is in the mulligan, one of the reasons why I don't like Faeria as much.. you have to throw out your entire hand if you don't like it.

Top Bottom