• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

georly

Ce5HesYUsAAcsSl.jpg:large

There was a third card as well.

Discussed last page.

I feel like the Old Gods should have a new ability called Hexproof that protects them from instant kill and transmutation effects. No one wants to see C'thun get turned into a sheep and pinged for 1.

The main thing is, what minions would you want to pull and play without getting a battle cry? Just seems really odd when you compare him to C'thun and N'Zoth who have more interesting things going on.

Maybe there's another minion out there that effects cards drawn or cards played not from the hand that we haven't seen yet, but that's really unlikely since we haven't seen anything else that reflects that.

ViviOggi

Yeah, adventures have way less cards and I feel like blizz wants a meta impact w/ less cards, so therefore the cards are typically more gamechanging in the adventures. Expansions are way more watered down in impact, for the most part. C'thun is the only real big meta changer I see so far. *maybe* nzoth, maybe. Almost everything else seems to just be filling in gaps left behind from going to standard. We'll see.

I mean we've only had two full expansions so far. While TGT was just a complete failure in the constructed sense GvG had a massive impact on the meta.

I'm assuming ancient harbinger won't cause battlecries to come out for C'thun, so it's just going to drag it out. 4 attacks makes it so priest can't one shot it with removal.

I mean i guess if it's up you need to deal with it or get a 10 mana minion to deal with as early as turn 7.

y'shaarj is a better Varian, specially since the effect continues every turn it survives, but the random aspect (as well as missing out on some battlecries) kinda makes it bleck. Sure there are legendaries that you will want but you won't always get those legendaries pulled out.

Harbinger puts the cards in your hand, not on the battlefield.

georly

I mean we've only had two full expansions so far. While TGT was just a complete failure in the constructed sense GvG had a massive impact on the meta.

Sure, but it was still only a subset of those cards. I don't have the math on me, but it feels like percentage of adventure cards w/ impact are greater than percentage of expansion cards w/ impact.

I think I'm just gonna start spending my hoarded gold for gvg packs and arena now for some of the goodies ive missed, looks like blizz going very far to kill face race from standard and you need lots of cards that synergize with all the new leggys so it's kinda all or nothing it seems, doesn't feel like there's gonna be many good one offs you can use to build your own deck, most of the synergies seem very auto include

Ketch

Couldn't ysaarj be good in ramp Druid?

I guess it's like kaelthuzad tier in that if you get it on the board, and it doesn't get removed then you just win?

Pooya

Kibler said Yogg-Saron is apparently Blizzard's favorite god in this set, it's probably good. Saving the best for last.

So far, C'Thun>> N'Zoth>>>>> Y'Shaarj.

I feel like the Old Gods should have a new ability called Hexproof that protects them from instant kill and transmutation effects. No one wants to see C'thun get turned into a sheep and pinged for 1.
C'Thun would be absolutely unbeatable if he came down at like 14/14, did 14 damage to your board and then was immune to removal.

Now even if he gets sheeped he still does immense damage, it's just Y'Shaarj that gets fucked by removal. The good thing about Y'Shaarj is that you won't see it coming(where a C'Thun is super obvious) so there's a chance you don't have the removal immediately, in which case he's terrifying.

I guess it's like kaelthuzad tier in that if you get it on the board, and it doesn't get removed then you just win?
Ramp Druid has lots of battlecries involved for its minions. Maybe they should let this card trigger them.

C'Thun would be absolutely unbeatable if he came down at like 14/14, did 14 damage to your board and then was immune to removal.
You can still nuke it and such.

Nerfs on what?
Potentially Azure Drake.

ViviOggi

Sure, but it was still only a subset of those cards. I don't have the math on me, but it feels like percentage of adventure cards w/ impact are greater than percentage of expansion cards w/ impact.

Yeah I agree with that, since the card number of adventures is so limited there's way less tolerance for shit/filler cards especially since Blizz always wants to push multiple themes.

If Drake gets nerfed then Tempo Mage would double up on Ethereal Conjurers and Arcane Intellects. This card is a bit too slow for that deck though still usable as a one of. It's really more of a Grinder Mage style card.

Grinder Mage is dead in Standard. Without Duplicate, Echo, Sludge Belcher, and Healbot, most of its core strategy is removed.

The main problem is how un-controlled it is. It's any minion from your deck, which while you can control a little bit if the meta slows down, you could still pull that 2 or 3 drop you have to help stem off aggro.

However, seems good if you get it from Golden Monkey since all cards turn into Legendaries.

Fake Edit: A long time ago I ran a Reincarnate Shaman that only ran minions that were 6 or more. (Excluding Shieldmastah and Sudgebelcher.) It was a deck where I ran Far Sight because if I could get a good draw, I could drop something awesome for cheap or do a OTK combo. That's the problem though, you have no control over it, so it could be amazing, or it could be horrible.

Also, with that Harbinger card, if you play two, you could pull another 10 cost minion from your deck, which then ruins the value of playing Y'Sharaaj. It all just seems awkward to me when compared to the other two Old Gods.

A lot just really depends on how slow the game gets in Standard.

Acerac

Banned
I guess you might pick Y'Shaarj over lorewalker cho and Nat pagle for arena right? Lol

It'd probably singlehandedly win games in arena, what with being a 10/10 that adds value until it's removed.

It's not constructed good, but let's not act like the card is crap all around. Come on now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
YShaarj needed to put the minion in your hand and reduced its cost by 5 or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Y'Shaarj is great for Astral Communion Druid.

And maybe Grim Guzzler in BRM lol.

Owzers

I lost a game earlier to an aggro warrior because of mortal strike, i played another one just now and thought "should i play around mortal strike by playing sludge instead of tirion?" No, no i am not going to. I just didn't feel like it and despite being rank 6 i had already hit five this season so i didn't have to win.

Mortal Strike.

georly

Just what I want, cards to help me beat old adventures.

In a way I think it's fascinating to go back to old adventures and absolutely demolish them with new cards. I'd love if someone else came up w/ god-tier decks for them and replayed them and recorded them on youtube.

Fishlake

I'm looking forward to wild after this expansion right now it looks more fun then standard.

Although I will enjoy getting a break from time to time now.

Really? Drake is a fabulous card, but absolutely balanced.
Dahbomb brought it up in a previous conversation; I wouldn't have brought it up if I were quoting anyone else.

But I think Azure Drake is really strong compared to other cards around its area. Compare it to Inventor, a 2/4 for 4 that lets you draw a card. Azure Drake is a 4/4 that lets you draw a card and gives spell damage. It's pretty much auto-include in a lot of spell-oriented decks because it gives the spell buff but doesn't cost you anything. It's one of two spell buff cards that get used in this game.

Does it need a nerf? No, I'd rather have other cards move up to its level.

Malice215

I hope that Blizzard isn't running out of ideas coming off of LoE, but the designs of some of these cards are so boring.

It'll be interesting to see if the meta even allows people to fit these 10 mana minions into their decks outside of playing minions on curve for C'Thun.

LMAO then this card is even more dumpster tier.

That's something that Blizzard will never ever do. They are too scared of power creep (and rightfully so in a card game).
I felt like Naxx had the right level of power, with a few exceptions. GvG isn't really too strong for the most part, it just has a lot of RNG crap. LoE and BRM are solid. It's really TGT that is a piece of crap set, and this set feels more like TGT than everything else so far.

Ketch

I think maybe TGT cards will be a lot better once standard hits.

If the game slows down I mean, the joust and inspire become better. And some more of the TGT legendaries will be useful.

I wonder if they're going to add a title to C'thun.

Would be kind of weird if you have N'Zoth, The Corruptor and Y'shaarj, Rage Unbound and then just C'thun.

Top Bottom