• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

clav

So while Hearthstone is on mobile, and plays silk smooth there too, its really nothing like most mobile games.

Its a TCG that only works through a client. Like any TCG, you are at least looking at an investment of time, if not money too.

More like CCG since there's no trading in this one.

IvorB

what about saving for one wing at least? there's something to look forward that way.

I have about 1800-1900 gold right now and I'm saving to buy the whole LoE adventure, didn't spent any gold on anything yet just to save up and buy it whole.

Last weeks tavern brawl helped me huge to get to my goal, I won 40 times and got to finish all quests from those 5 days + all the gold from the 3 wins

Yeah I thought about doing that but I don't even know how much content is one wing. I guess I'll just keep dipping in for quests and stop buying packs so I can at least see what's in the adventure.

Tinkertown Technician is glitched now? I'm playing Arena had had mechs in my hand but none on the field and he still glowed. I played him just to check and didn't get the buff.

frequency

I think initially gold is best spent on Arena runs. You get one free run to start. Brawls are always accessible. Get over anxiety about playing a deck and eventually you'll find someone who has a deck just as bad as yours. I learned this with a F2P account when I hopped over to a different region.

What? Hearthstone doesn't require you to pay anything. You can hop onto constructed when you start.

It's up to you to decide whether it's worth trading your time to keep the free aspect.

I mean Hearthstone requires more money put in to get much out of it vs other free to play games. $10 worth of packs gets you not very much. $10 gets you the most expensive heroes in Heroes of the Storm.

(I don't have Brawl anxiety by the way. I've been playing on and off but I've been around since beta. I'm pretty set in Hearthstone to be free forever if I want to be.)

So while Hearthstone is on mobile, and plays silk smooth there too, its really nothing like most mobile games.

Its a TCG that only works through a client. Like any TCG, you are looking at an investment of time, if not money too, in order to start beating other players.

Do people make that distinction though? I would think most people just see it as another digital only game and aren't thinking about it compared to what you would spend in MTG but are instead comparing it to other digital and mobile games.

I don't know. I have one friend who keeps trying to get into Hearthstone but can't because of all these things I'm talking about. It's totally anecdotal of course.

Heh, playing against Handlock. Dropped my Harrison to lure him into a false sense of security. Sure enough he plays Jaraxxus immediately after. Next turn, boom, 16 damage C'Thun to the face.

wiibomb

Yeah I thought about doing that but I don't even know how much content is one wing. I guess I'll just keep dipping in for quests and stop buying packs so I can at least see what's in the adventure.

for what I heard, it's pretty good, the whole LoE has more than 40 cards, and I can't even start telling how many time I've seen others throw me a Reno Jackson or one of the other legendaries from that set.

Besides, they offer single player content with variety in how the bosses play.

I'm planing to buy LoE with pure gold along with BRM with pure money, that way I can look forward to play HS for quite some time.

after that, I'll just save my gold for an occasional pack and for the next adventure released.

may be my plan seems good to you to follow, think about it.

ViviOggi

Dumpster OTK Priest gonna cost Amnesiac the series
SoBayed.png

Owzers

i'm maxing out at 3 or 4 arena wins in my past three attempts. My last loss was against a shaman who had tuskar totemic, flametongue, then thunderbluff. Fun stuff! I bet there was a flamereathe in there for extra fun later had i lived.

People would concede within 5 seconds of the match.

You can. It just helps.
Disable credit when you concede, then. There are checks they can put into place that ensure people don't abuse the system.

For example, what if it's "Play 5 Ranked Matches"? How many people would happily concede 5 matches in a row just for some gold?

It should be play X amount of matches with X class only Blizzard should be smart enough to include a check so that you only get credit if a certain amount of time/turn has elapsed. You know, like they do it in Duelyst.

So which deck is it easier to play online with.. your Priest that has multiple Legendaries/Epics or the Shaman decks with no Legendaries?

The game isn't becoming easier because you are filling your deck with more Legendaries, it's getting easier because you now know what the stronger strategies are and how to play around stuff better.
That's not a good example because my Priest deck isn't complete, and it's really trying to make a failed card into a viable one. Give a more honest comparison: Control Priest with legendaries vs. Control Priest without legendaries.

Think I'm kind of losing it for this game. There is just nothing to do but log on briefly to do the quests and it's pretty depressing scraping gold together to buy packs that contain nothing but sh*t. I thought about buying some adventures but the prices are just taking the piss; I could buy a whole PS4 game with that amount. Anyways, downloaded Hex: Shards of Fate over the weekend and that seems to be more what I am looking for.
I thought Hex was pretty weak. The user interface is terrible, and it seems more about single player content than anything else. Since you brought it up, though, I've been trying a LOT of card games recently, and here's my brief list of best to worst:

Duelyst
Infinity Wars
Hearthstone
Poxnora
Spellweaver
Magic Online
Hex

I'm taking it all from three major categories:
1) Whether the game is well-paced.
2) Whether the game is smooth and enjoyable to play.
3) Whether the game has good mechanics.

Right now I plan on maintaining Duelyst, Hearthstone, and Infinity Wars - they succeed at accomplishing all 3 categories. I'm unsure about Poxnora right now. It has amazing mechanics, but it's one of the roughest games to play on that list. I didn't try Faeria because it's not F2P, and I'm not willing to spend money just to try a game out. I watched Kripp play, and it seems like a slow dull trod.

There have always been expensive decks. 8-12k dust decks. Wallet warrior, for example, was extremely popular.
No doubt, and having a large variety of decks helps out a lot. For example, we've all had that day where we fight our counterpick matchup over and over again. If you are starting out, you have one mediocre deck, and you better hope you get good matchups.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Truly the worst expansion Blizzard could've possibly shat out.

What a terrible company.

Heh, playing against Handlock. Dropped my Harrison to lure him into a false sense of security. Sure enough he plays Jaraxxus immediately after. Next turn, boom, 16 damage C'Thun to the face.

C'Thun sneaks are always impressive, you always play towards it dropping on 10 and then they wait and you feel safe and then u ded

Got the opportunity to pick a N'zoth first pick in Arena and then proceeded to be offered three deathrattle cards

Zombie Chow, Creeper and Harvest Golem

T-thanks Brode...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not even close, Pre undertaker nerf GvG was much worse. This expansion is not bad at all.

No, this expansion is a wannabe, half-arsed "control"-based expansion that completely FAILS on the control aspect. It became absolutely shit, the game literally PEAKED during Undertaker pre-nerf compared to the turd shitfest that we are playing today.

Ladekabel

Doing Heroic League of Explorers because I want that card back back. Up against Scarvash. Finally have Doomsayer in starting hand. Playing it on turn 2 and all of the sudden it plays Confuse.

Owzers

I still make dumb mistakes. I had 5 health, they had a 3 damage weapon and a wolgren infiltrator on board, i had no taunts but the 6 damage to random minions bomber in hand. I should have played another minion to go along with my three on board to soak up potentially more damage but i didn't think until it was too late, killed their worgen and did 2 dmg to my face, died next turn.

bunbun777

Well I have no idea how random the matchmaker really is but sometimes you just get horrible match ups. And sometimes it's like you can do no wrong, good match ups, great opening hands and great draws. It's gotten to the point where I can tell when my opponent has bad draws. Usually if you are on a winning streak just keep going, if you lose two matches switch to another deck or just take a break, unless you're already at lower levels than it doesn't really matter. You know you're getting better when you can guess the best card your opponent will play before they actually do.

The one with original Leeroy of course! Your opponent got to watch helplessly as you spammed his annoying entrance over and over again!

Ah okay, cause original miracle rogue was all about van cleef. Back then van cleef started with stealth too. You would play novice engineer, shadowstep, novice, shadowstep, etc.. huge vancleef that is in stealth... before my time though. They nerfed a ton of rogue cards when they wiped the game in closed beta.

Dahbomb

Man OG stealth Van Cleef is really old school. That's before my time too.

That's not a good example because my Priest deck isn't complete, and it's really trying to make a failed card into a viable one. Give a more honest comparison: Control Priest with legendaries vs. Control Priest without legendaries.
Control Nzoth Priest needs like two, maybe three these days, Nzoth, Justicar and Sylvanas. Anything beyond that is too greedy and likely to be punished hard. Hell the standard Control Priest gets the job done with just Sylvanas and Justicar.

But even when you complete that deck you will still lose to Shaman decks that are smashing your face with commons.

Also when I made my initial statement I said that you had to cast aside your pride and be willing to net deck if you want to win with cheap stuff. You can't play the exact cards you want to play and expect to do well unless those cards are already insanely strong. That's usually how new players end up making bad decisions early on, they see a card like Yogg and want to make a deck around it, then waste a ton of dust on it.... then lose badly and complain about the game/meta/community.

Is anyone here around rank 5?

I cannot get a handle on the meta at this rank and I'm just trading wins and loses. It is a lot slower and I'm not sure how to adapt.

I'm seeing a lot of Reno Mage, Reno Handlock, and Miracle Rogue. Almost all of the Shaman I'm seeing is slower and using the midrange varient.

I've used Zoo, tempo Druid, and a Mid-range n'zoth Pally for my laddering so far, but I've been playing around with just about everything now. I usually try to learn to play a deck to beat it, but there is just too many new things right now.

Any tips for taking on a meta like this?

I am level 6, 2 wins away from 5 so I fully expect a losing streak now, and yea I have been saying it a lot recently but the game has slowed down a ton at these ranks at least. Rarely see aggro and many of these decks are well equipped to fight aggro and are set up to go deep into their deck. I switched to an evolution deck that I created because maintaining damaged minions and big bodies has been hard with all of the control decks in play.

I think the best thing is to have cards to keep the board clean early and lots of combos and big minions for the mid to late game. N'Zoth Pally is great at that it seems.

And hold your cards a little longer than you can is something I have been doing. I just assume at this point a board clear is always in my opponents hand and don't play all the cards I could play. Baiting that stuff out has been hard though especially against paladin who has several board clear options and ways to nerf your minions. I don't understand why Paladin isn't stronger than it seems.

Zoolock is still the bane of my existence, even with board clears and taunts that deck has absurd trade values with power overwhelming.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, losing a match you had in the bag to a ridiculous Yogg from the opponent feels awful. First time I saw one so dominant (played multiple secrets, cleared my board except one minion that was given windfury...then mind controlled).

wiibomb

Wow, losing a match you had in the bag to a ridiculous Yogg from the opponent feels awful. First time I saw one so dominant (played multiple secrets, cleared my board except one minion that was given windfury...then mind controlled).

I love that card.. it can be OP as fuck.. and it works both ways, it can backfire to the user pretty easily too. I wish to someday have it, just for the madness it makes

VoxPop

Been just climbing the ladder with gimmick decks but its taking longer than expected.

What are the most consistent decks for climbing ladder?

clav

How do you deal with C'Thun's Chosen, Azure Drake, Druid of the Claw, and Klaxxi Amber-Weaver as a Priest?

How do you deal with a Malygos Druid as a Priest?

I don't feel comfortable putting down minions that react to the board because the Druid has answers to everything. Plus the spells don't do anything.

Any tips?

Using this deck here: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/522505-legend-priest-control-standard-s25

With some tweaks: Swapped Power Word: Shield with either Thalnos and Mass Dispel. Still experimenting. Also an Ooze instead of Harrison Jones.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How do you deal with C'Thun's Chosen, Azure Drake, Druid of the Claw, and Klaxxi Amber-Weaver as a Priest?

I don't feel comfortable putting down minions that react to the board because the Druid has answers to everything. Plus the spells don't do anything.

Any tips?

Using this deck here: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/522505-legend-priest-control-standard-s25

With some tweaks: Swapped Power Word: Shield with either Thalnos and Mass Dispel. Still experimenting. Also an Ooze instead of Harrison Jones.

Your first mistake was using priest.

Honestly they really can't cleanly deal with them. 4 attack creatures have always been a gap for them, so entomb is basically the only thing they have...and that's too slow in many cases. They also get worked by miracle rogue.

greepoman

Any tips?

Are you really seeing that many druids? Changing your deck to better deal with druid makes it worse against other more popular decks. Been grinding rank 10 to 1 and can't remember a single cthun druid.

I would just recommend ranking up with a different class til you don't see any more druids lol.

Any tips?

it's just a bad matchup since priest cant deal w/ 4 attack minions very well. Against cthun I'd say try to get board control early since druids have a hard time w/ AOE clears. In general priest doesnt do well against combo decks. Plus you dont have justicar so thats a con as well

clav

Your first mistake was using priest.

Honestly they really can't cleanly deal with them. 4 attack creatures have always been a gap for them, so entomb is basically the only thing they have...and that's too slow in many cases. They also get worked by miracle rogue.

So that means the game is broken for Priest then if there are no clean answers. Rogue is already bad enough for them.

Are you really seeing that many druids? Changing your deck to better deal with druid makes it worse against other more popular decks. Been grinding rank 10 to 1 and can't remember a single cthun druid.

I would just recommend ranking up with a different class til you don't see any more druids lol.

Yeah at Rank 14/15. People play a lot of decks of putting minions on the board and hope it stays.

Also spell only decks, too, with Malygos + Yogg mixed in, so the Priest can't really do anything.

it's just a bad matchup since priest cant deal w/ 4 attack minions very well. Against cthun I'd say try to get board control early since druids have a hard time w/ AOE clears. In general priest doesnt do well against combo decks. Plus you dont have justicar so thats a con as well

I think Priest just has a difficult time against C'Thun decks unless it runs N'Zoth.

fertygo

I think zoolock has figured out :(

Really hard to see favorable matchup now, most slower deck can beat it consistently.. its can produce win with its aggro nature, but yeah its not look invicible anymore

Dahbomb

Zoolock has just adjusted to Leeroy variant where they try to push a lot of damage early on and then finish game with a big burst.

Owzers

I think zoolock has figured out :(

Really hard to see favorable matchup now, most slower deck can beat it consistently.. its can produce win with its aggro nature, but yeah its not look invicible anymore

board clears, board clears everywhere. I run two Lightning Storm's to give me a chance against the zoo menace.

So that means the game is broken for Priest then if there are no clean answers. Rogue is already bad enough for them.

Yeah at Rank 14/15. People play a lot of decks of putting minions on the board and hope it stays.

Also spell only decks, too, with Malygos + Yogg mixed in, so the Priest can't really do anything.

I think Priest just has a difficult time against C'Thun decks unless it runs N'Zoth.

yea I think nzoth is pretty much the only variant of control priest worth running, and it's not as good as nzoth paladin. I really think northshire's arent all that great anymore either which sucks. The loss of velen's and deathlord removes a lot of draw potential they had w/ them. Plus now you want to save CoH for auchenai/EtS

Pooya

board based decks are just not good enough in control meta, your deck needs to be able to deal 10-14 damage from hand. Look up the zoo firebat plays, he play double soulfire and azure drakes on top of Leeroy. I'm not sure if he had doomguard.

so I got enough dust to craft two legendaries or a gold one. Main ones I'm missing are cairne and rag. May craft cairne for nzoth decks I play but not sure how many decks use rag outside of like tempo warrior

Yoshichan

Nah man Blizzard got you covered.

35225.png

Perfect counter against Zoo. When they have 3 or more minions it's better than Senjin!!!
Abysmal

Top Bottom