• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

inky

I've been going back to Control Warrior with mostly good luck, but there are those matches where I get outcontrolled with so many N'Zoth decks around. How do you tech for those? Ysera and Elise instead of Alex? Is it really about drawing Justicar early and just being super patient with removal? One of the matches I couldn't hang on I drew Justicar last but I have a feeling I would have won with that.

Double Brawl has been working OK, and seems like a must in this meta, but I have not played that many N'Zoth decks (mostly priests, but also Rogues and maybe other Warriors) to understand the match 100%. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hycran

Banned
I've been going back to Control Warrior with mostly good luck, but there are those matches where I get outcontrolled with so many N'Zoth decks around. How do you tech for those? Ysera and Elise instead of Alex? Is it really about drawing Justicar early and just being super patient with removal? One of the matches I couldn't hang on I drew Justicar last but I have a feeling I would have won with that.

Double Brawl has been working OK, and seems like a must in this meta, but I have not played that many N'Zoth decks (mostly priests, but also Rogues and maybe other Warriors) to understand the match 100%. Any suggestions are welcome.

I've been running a cthun warrior and still manage to win some of these matches. Gorehowl and malkorok are real winners as a result of leveraging heavy armor totals. If you suspect it's a super control just keep fighting for the board and try for the brann double cthun. I've run doom caller but the problem is that cthun is never killed he's always transformed so it's better to drop mal

scarlet

Silentstorm is a pro? I think I had brawl with him today

Not quite sure with the username

Having a bad short term memory, misreading, miscounting cost me a lot. Missed a lot of lethal, keep giving cold blood to my enemy minions cuz I thought it was eviscerate lol

Xanathus

Silentstorm is a pro? I think I had brawl with him today

Not quite sure with the username

Having a bad short term memory, misreading, miscounting cost me a lot. Missed a lot of lethal, keep giving cold blood to my enemy minions cuz I thought it was eviscerate lol

There is a tourney player named SilentStorm, unfortunately the reason he chose that name is because it's one of the autogenerated recommended battle tags that Blizzard uses so there are a hilariously large number of players named SilentStorm.

ViviOggi

You switch to Tempo Warrior and pressure them. OG CW is garbagio.

If you really, really want to stick with CW though I don't see many tech options beyond Elise. Gorehowl is clutch but I think everyone is playing it already. Always keep a Brawl for N'Zoth (you can also Brawl + Monkey), and yeah be ultra patient with your removal, their deck is even slower than yours.

bjaelke

LiquidHearth: NA Spring Prelims Archetype Breakdown
Admirable, Chakki, Nostam, and Yoitsflo are all sporting the same exact lineup with the same exact lists: Aggro Druid, Aggro Shaman, Zoo, Face Warrior.
zqbMa4P.gif

inky

I've been running a cthun warrior and still manage to win some of these matches. Gorehowl and malkorok are real winners as a result of leveraging heavy armor totals. If you suspect it's a super control just keep fighting for the board and try for the brann double cthun. I've run doom caller but the problem is that cthun is never killed he's always transformed so it's better to drop mal

That's an interesting idea. I didn't get Malkorok with my packs, but I've been thinking about crafting him.

You mean the one with like Blood to Ichor and Frothings? That makes sense. I don't think it's that bad, at least to get to 5, which you can do with so many decks nowadays. Truth is, I wanted to play my Dragon Warrior, but that's in an even worse state, so yeah, I've settled for Control. Just wondering if I can beat these ultra greedy decks, but all points to no; well, only if they fuck up, which isn't unlikely at rank 10+

Pooya

that druid deck by dog, ramp with yogg saron lol.

-----------

regular control warrior is awful but I'm starting to think the c'thun control warrior is pretty good. probably best c'thun deck too, it's just control warrior with some powerful c'thun cards, why not.

Ladekabel

Opponent mage went full Yogglo and played Yogg into my Slyvanas. I stole it mid-sequence and it killed him off. It even ganged up itself so I had three other Yoggs in my deck.

ViviOggi

skip1.png

You mean the one with like Blood to Ichor and Frothings? That makes sense. I don't think it's that bad, at least to get to 5, which you can do with so many decks nowadays. Truth is, I wanted to play my Dragon Warrior, but that's in an even worse state, so yeah, I've settled for Control. Just wondering if I can beat these ultra greedy decks, but all points to no; well, only if they fuck up, which isn't unlikely at rank 10+

I edited my post with the tips I could come up with, I actually lost to CW as N'Zoth Paladin despite being heavily favored and them only getting two legendaries out of the monkey. Got rekt by fatigue, it was extremely close and as far as I can tell the Warrior played the matchup perfectly.

inky

I edited my post with the tips I could come up with, I actually lost to CW as N'Zoth Paladin despite being heavily favored and them only getting two legendaries out of the monkey. Got rekt by fatigue, it was extremely close and as far as I can tell the Warrior played the matchup perfectly.

I've read them now. Thanks <3

i was watching dog play that deck and man it seemed hit or miss at times lol. There was one where he had to cast yogg to win and he only casted 3 spells before so yogg pretty much did nothing

regular control warrior is awful but I'm starting to think the c'thun control warrior is pretty good. probably best c'thun deck too, it's just control warrior with some powerful c'thun cards, why not.

That's basically the Warrior deck I run and I've had good success with it. Armor through Aggro into the mid game, build up C'thun finisher vs Control in the late game.
Also pray the Shamans and Priests are dumb enough to use Hex/Entomb before C'thun.

Dahbomb

Liquidpedia said:
Admirable, Chakki, Nostam, and Yoitsflo are all sporting the same exact lineup with the same exact lists: Aggro Druid, Aggro Shaman, Zoo, Face Warrior.
Chakki back at it again with the aggro line up.

This time it seems like they want to farm the Rogues. Europe was all about farming the Nzoth Paladin but this time there are less of those.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
i was watching dog play that deck and man it seemed hit or miss at times lol. There was one where he had to cast yogg to win and he only casted 3 spells before so yogg pretty much did nothing

Yeah, that's why I gave up entirely on Yogg being a good card. You need to play so many spells before the odds become decent he turns the game around for you, but by then you often get into fatigue worries where Yogg is a bigger threat to yourself than the other guy.

There's a sweet spot 15-20 turns in where Yogg can be actually good, but that's just too inflexible.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Classic control Paladin was always a tough matchup for Control Warrior and N'Zoth Paladin is basically an improved version of that. Not too much you can do when Paladin has clean answers for everything you do.

Pooya

Chakki is the hero this game needs. proof that hs isn't p2w.

1463675760-1.jpg

his shaman list actually isn't the regular face shaman, he plays nerubian prophet and master of evo.

ZERO Priests!

3000 dust is massive for a newcomer. That's more than a month of dusting packs.

I used Faerie Dragon since it was in the list when I was trying to netdeck as Face Warrior to get through quests, and I don't get why it's there. Did zero work for me.

Also @Dahbomb: I had 3 quests I did last night, and this morning 3 more popped up. So it definitely stores more than 1 past the max shown.

inky

Classic control Paladin was always a tough matchup for Control Warrior and N'Zoth Paladin is basically an improved version of that. Not too much you can do when Paladin has clean answers for everything you do.

Oh, I know I'm not favored. Just asking which is the best tech piece to go the distance against those decks (I would include C Priest and C Warrior too). Seems getting Justicar out as soon as possible and Elise are the best way to improve my chances.

But I'm exploring what other decks to craft. I still have about 6k dust left.

Rizzi

Hearthstone is such a chore to start playing as a new player.
Making a decent deck requires way more gold or dust than is feasibly possible at the start and that's kind of terrible.

Levi

Banned

If you really, really want to stick with CW though I don't see many tech options beyond Elise. Gorehowl is clutch but I think everyone is playing it already. Always keep a Brawl for N'Zoth (you can also Brawl + Monkey), and yeah be ultra patient with your removal, their deck is even slower than yours.

My Tempo Warrior has an 80+% win rate versus control Paladin and deathrattle Rogue. Of course this is between 20-10 so maybe my opponents aren't skilled with those decks but I feel very confident against them when I'm playing TW, and I don't feel that way with CW. My CW is better against these dang midrange Shamans, but when I play that deck I don't see them anymore. :(

Hearthstone is such a chore to start playing as a new player.
Making a decent deck requires way more gold or dust than is feasibly possible at the start and that's kind of terrible.

You want to aim for a good budget deck. Between the packs you get for starting (and achievements) and the 13 WOG packs you get, you should be able to at least get a competent deck for ranking up.

We probably need a link in the OP to some budget decks people might want to try and craft as new players. Someone linked a couple earlier in the thread though.

Pooya

new players have it easy right now ,13 packs and you can a build a c'thun deck which is more than decent enough to complete quests. When I started, there was like nothing. Had to play basic mage deck for a while, people have it easy right now.

look at those chakki decks, all of those would do more than good enough on ladder, there is not even a single legendary in shaman lists these days and it's the strongest class. The game is really easy to start right now with all the freebies Blizzard is giving but people of course would blame everything for poor results except their own bad plays.

Dahbomb

Most cards seem to disenchant for 5-20 dust each. 2-3k is nowhere near reasonable.
You get a lot of free gold at start for doing hidden quests and getting a few wins in standard gets you like what... 8 free packs?

Every pack is at the minimum 40 dust. Usually you can get an epic or god rare for 100 dust. At the start getting 20 packs is pretty easy which results in around 800 dust minimum already and chances are high that cards you need for your deck might be in there as well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You get a lot of free gold at start for doing hidden quests and getting a few wins in standard gets you like what... 8 free packs?

Every pack is at the minimum 40 dust. Usually you can get an epic or god rare for 100 dust. At the start getting 20 packs is pretty easy which results in around 800 dust minimum already and chances are high that cards you need for your deck might be in there as well.

Except when you are new you need lots of those cards you are getting so you aren't disenchanting all those cards.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I found his YouTube but it doesn't look like he has anything on there for Standard Shaman yet? Or am I just not searching properly?

Kibler doesn't really play meta decks. And his YouTube is mostly highlights. You can watch him play and you'll learn something but it is going to be more high level than deck specific. Don't spend your time just learning one deck. Just watch these guys play and then try to figure out why they makes the plays they do. That'll help you across the board.

Owzers

face hunter was cheap as fuck and brain dead to pilot, I wouldn't say it was that much tougher at the start.

that was my starting deck until i got enough dust/spent money and made a respectable Secret Paladin deck. Shaman/zoo seem like what i would make if starting. My totem shaman deck only has one epic and no legendaries. Doesn't even need Blackrock since you don't run lava shock.

2000 - 3000 dust isn't much starting out when you get a lot of gold and packs at the start.
Man, you are so out of touch.

Most cards seem to disenchant for 5-20 dust each. 2-3k is nowhere near reasonable.
Undoubtedly, and you can't even reasonably DE all of that, either.

That "free" stuff took me 2 full days of grinding the AI. It was incredibly boring, too.

Except when you are new you need lots of those cards you are getting so you aren't disenchanting all those cards.
Exactly.

that was my starting deck until i got enough dust/spent money and made a respectable Secret Paladin deck. Shaman/zoo seem like what i would make if starting. My totem shaman deck only has one epic and no legendaries. Doesn't even need Blackrock since you don't run lava shock.

Same exact thing. Played hunter with random shit, then dusted everything to play secret paladin when I returned to the game.

frequency

I like how veteran players keep discounting new player issues and keep insisting how easy it is. 2000 dust is a ton for new players.

Anyway, I would suggest new players try playing in Wild Casual mode. You'll still come up against hard matches but people in Wild Casual mostly seem to just be doing it for fun from my experience. So there's less refined decks over there. It seems to be the actual casual mode of the game.

Standard Casual is just ranked players trying to do dailies without risking rank loss.

Dahbomb

Man I got a completely F2P EU account that I have gotten up to a Face/Hybrid Hunter and a Shaman deck in 2 weeks of play with rank 5 in the same month. I am not out of touch, I have been through this experience already... twice in fact. Even my main account does not have more that $40 of real money put into it.

It's way, way easier now than it was a couple of years ago. Better quests, Brawl packs, Standard free packs and better quality cheaper aggro decks. You couldn't even DE Adventures back in the day... your can just DE Reno Jackson and put that into making your Doomhammer... that's 1/5th of the cost of the deck right there.

The real reason new players struggle is not because they can't make those budget cheap aggro decks... it's because they aren't good with their DEs and crafting. I was the same way, first time around I made some bad crafting choices that slowed me down (I crafted two Faceless to try the counter the Legendary decks). My second time around I had a laser focus on what to avoid and what to get.

Tarazet

Dusting cards that aren't dupes is a losing proposition. Huge piles of dust aren't the only solution, but the days that you could do free to play and still have optimized meta decks as a new player are well behind us. The game is absolutely P2W now unless you are exceptionally good at deck crafting.

Dahbomb

There's no such thing as "being good at deck crafting".

There's just net decking and playing a lot with that deck.

I will take bets right now that I can get my Asian account to rank 5 in the month of June with no money easy. That account I haven't even played the tutorial on.

Top Bottom