• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

bjaelke

Blade Flurry was nerfed to make room for new weapons in upcoming expansions. Since they only plan to make changes once a year they had to get it out now even though no weapons were included in Old Gods.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is the Desert Camel/Injured Kvaldir combo some pros are running in their hunter decks worthwhile for low end midrange hunter decks?

Thijs is running it, but he is only running one Injured Kvaldir and two fiery bats. Wouldn't you want either 1 or zero fiery bats and two injured kvaldirs? I would think a fiery bat is pretty far from ideal to get from the Desert camels.

Blade Flurry was nerfed to make room for new weapons in upcoming expansions. Since they only plan to make changes once a year they had to get it out now even though no weapons were included in Old Gods.
Why couldn't it wait until the next expansion, then?

Was Blade Flurry really too good? Would it have seen play with Oil gone?

Zoggy

right now the only "board clear" rogue has is a fan of knives with spell damage.

maybe rogue isn't supposed to be a control class but everyone should have at least one viable clear.

even druids have swipe or poison seeds

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Was Blade Flurry really too good? Would it have seen play with Oil gone?

It absolutely would have seen play with Oil gone. It was still a very common card in old Miracle where Deadly Poison was the main weapon buff. You see a card like Dark Iron Skulker taking its place sometimes.

bjaelke

Why couldn't it wait until the next expansion, then?

As I said they only want to do balance changes one time each year (basic/standard cards) - before the first expansion/adventure hits. They obviously might change that if necessary, but they've said that they only plan to look at them at the start of the calendar year. They already started work on the next content update before Old Gods was released, so they presumably had some idea of what they wanted to do and maybe Blade Flurry was hampering their design plans.

It absolutely would have seen play with Oil gone. It was still a very common card in old Miracle where Deadly Poison was the main weapon buff. You see a card like Dark Iron Skulker taking its place sometimes.
That's true, and since a good portion of Shaman's minions are 3 health, it would get used there, too.

As I said they only want to do balance changes one time each year (basic/standard cards) - before the first expansion/adventure hits. They obviously might change that if necessary, but they've said that they only plan to look at them at the start of the calendar year. They already started work on the next content update before Old Gods was released, so they presumably had some idea of what they wanted to do and maybe Blade Flurry was hampering their design plans.
Hmm, really? I thought I read Brode say that they want to do more frequent balance changes to address problem cards like Mysterious Challenger.

Even so, it's unlikely that they could have the foresight to perfectly adjust Old Gods without seeing how the second annual set plays out. I mean, they couldn't even tell that a 7/7 for 4 mana was a bad idea...lol?

That kind of thinking just feels like pure hubris.

Lyng

Shaman is so dumb right now. Zero skill required

And the worst part is people try to pretend the new shaman and hunter is anything but stupid face meta

squidyj

Its seem they still print C'thun card, I likey

seems fine, as long as they don't print any old gods stuff in the next set after this adventure.

Shaman is so dumb right now. Zero skill required

And the worst part is people try to pretend the new shaman and hunter is anything but stupid face meta

you know except for the part where they shockingly don't only go face. I mean sure if you spend 6 turns holding your dick because you made a deck that's greedy AF they have no choice but to go face, but outside of aggro shaman that's not entirely their gameplan.

Zoggy

seems fine, as long as they don't print any old gods stuff in the next set after this adventure.

you know except for the part where they shockingly don't only go face. I mean sure if you spend 6 turns holding your dick because you made a deck that's greedy AF they have no choice but to go face, but outside of aggro shaman that's not entirely their gameplan.

and even then, aggro shaman doesn't always go face. early game yo gotta control the board and protect that tunnel trogg.

the aggro decks people complain about nowadays aren't just face face face. they're really just zoo decks.

the last face deck to dominate was face hunter. that was the only deck i've seen that is just strictly "hit the face".

Lyng

Face shaman doesnt allways go face either, that doesnt mean anything. Call it whatever makes you feel better, they still require next to no brain to pilot.

Danj

W00t, finally had a match (in Tavern Brawl) where I was able to form Voltron V-07-TR-0N!

I've seen it before on Youtube of course but it's not the same as when it's in a game you're actually playing.

ZealousD

I mean, they couldn't even tell that a 7/7 for 4 mana was a bad idea...lol?

That kind of thinking just feels like pure hubris.

Flamewreathed Faceless is essentially Blizzard testing the waters for how they should be dealing with Overload. People constantly shat on the mechanic and so this was the result. I still blame every single person who were saying things like "shaman is shitty because of overload" and "remember when people said totem golem was a good card? lol" for giving us that card.

Even so. Shaman could have been a balanced class with Flamewreathed Faceless in the game. The problem was that Shaman got so many other nutso cards at the same time.

Dahbomb

Shaman is a poorly designed class and that won't change until Blizzard does an overhaul. Can't seem to make Shaman anything other than garbage tier or broken tier.

Can't wait until Shaman is back to dumpster tier after losing Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem, Thunderbluff and Tuskar Totemic.

ZealousD

Man I used to like Shaman. I just think losing either Tunnel Trogg or Faceless would do an awful lot to bring them down a peg. Overload is fine. Blizzard just needs to balance it correctly. Totem Golem was perfect. Flamewreathed Faceless and Tunnel Trogg were overcorrections.

Zoggy

tunnel trogg is a problem but that 2/4 gain +1/+1 for every overload isn't.

flameless is a problem but drainei totemcarver(which can also be a 4 mana 7/7) is not.

The thing is, imo, early game cards are overstatted. kripp made a video about this before. 1-3 drops bring so much more value and tempo than your stupid legendaries.

if you want the game to slow they have to wait for these to rotate out and release shit 1-3 drops, and no one should want that

Levi

Banned
Shaman players aren't ever going to admit that their class is broken and the top choice for both bots and players who lack decision making skills.

If they did, they'd have to admit that their ladder results should have an asterisk next to it.

Shaman Defense Force will say any ridiculous thing to try and make themselves feel better for playing the easiest deck in the game.

I'd have a lot more respect for Shaman players if they would just straight up admit they are exploiting Blizzard's failure to balance their game while also exploiting Blizzard's failure of a ranked play system.

Zoggy

EVERYONE GET IN HERE.

NA ladder is bad right now.

all good players are watching the tourney so ranks are easy pickings.

fertygo

Shaman players aren't ever going to admit that their class is broken and the top choice for both bots and players who lack decision making skills.

If they did, they'd have to admit that their ladder results should have an asterisk next to it.

Shaman Defense Force will say any ridiculous thing to try and make themselves feel better for playing the easiest deck in the game.

I'd have a lot more respect for Shaman players if they would just straight up admit they are exploiting Blizzard's failure to balance their game while also exploiting Blizzard's failure of a ranked play system.

What if that player use Elemental Destruction Shaman tho..

I still think Shaman while very strong is not unbeatable now you know which card to target

I have to wonder who this "they" is. I would love to meet one of "them".

Xanathus

Decided to just play a quick game of Midrange Hunter and faced against a Cthun Warrior. Apparently I had to do 76 damage to his face to win because my Beatdown daily quest went from 0 to 76.

Dahbomb

With the high amount of Tempo Warriors/Zoo/Shaman online and almost non existent control decks...

It's actually an excellent time to bring Grim Patron back into the meta. .

Eddie Bax

Yep, that section of the IGN interview about ladder (as a system; not referring to the current meta) being fine worries me. Didn't Blizz learn about grindy timesink mistakes from the original WoW PvP system?

Also, someone needs to teach Peter Whalen that superlatives other than 'awesome' exist.

Nordicus

Oh hello Mr Cthun/ Reno Legendary warlock, please do BM my newbie windfury shaman deck by unnecessarily clearing all my small remaining minions with your fat troops and not finishing me off by hitting me in the face, like say with that Chromaggus you keep sitting on the board. Go ahead, you sure must feel big beating my deck at Rank 19.

Sincerely yours, player with 7 shaman wins in ladder total.

It's quite the culture shock coming from a fairly small computer card game, into... this

Dahbomb

Oh hello Mr Cthun/ Reno Legendary warlock, please do BM my newbie windfury shaman deck by unnecessarily clearing all my small remaining minions with your fat troops and not finishing me off by hitting me in the face, like say with that Chromaggus you keep sitting on the board. Go ahead, you sure must feel big beating my deck at Rank 19.

It's quite the culture shock coming from a fairly small computer card game, into... this
You are playing Shaman so expect a lot of that on Ladder.

squidyj

and the amount of energy whiners spend complaining could be better used learning how not to be shit at the game.

What small game?

NBtoaster

I've managed to win not once but twice by hitting my opponent with The Ancient One. With Shadowcaster and Thaurissan shenanigans you can summon it in one turn, but its hard to stall for that long. Its also workable in priest with Herald Volazj.

I've managed to win not once but twice by hitting my opponent with The Ancient One. With Shadowcaster and Thaurissan shenanigans you can summon it in one turn, but its hard to stall for that long. Its also workable in priest with Herald Volazj.
Neat! I don't think I have one unfortunately though

Nordicus

Ugh, my priest had like 50 damage worth of stuff on board but lost anyway because freeze mage managed to tap into both of his ice blocks once the Aoe freezes ran out... I suppose it was a change of pace from all those Cthun decks.
What small game?
C'mon now, are you honestly gonna say Duelyst is big right now? I'll consider that thought maybe after the Steam release.

frequency

I admit to inadvertently BMing sometimes. Sometimes I am so focused on other stuff, and because I like minion trading the most about this game, I miss lethal because I'm not paying attention to opponent face and health and end up trading when I don't need to. It happens way more often then it should...

Log in, get the spectate quest, see Levi currently playing, start watching exactly when he had lethal.

Fastest pack earned ever, took like 30 seconds total opening hearthstone included. 2 rares and an epic just not good / to me useable ones but dust

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I admit to inadvertently BMing sometimes. Sometimes I am so focused on other stuff, and because I like minion trading the most about this game, I miss lethal because I'm not paying attention to opponent face and health and end up trading when I don't need to. It happens way more often then it should...

I've been getting better about stopping and asking what my other options are right before I make my play, such as ignoring minions and going face, and I've been finding lethal a lot more thanks to that, but I always feel bad like I'm BMing when it takes all the way to the rope for me to realize it.

Levi

Banned
Log in, get the spectate quest, see Levi currently playing, start watching exactly when he had lethal.

Fastest pack earned ever, took like 30 seconds total opening hearthstone included. 2 rares and an epic just not good / to me useable ones but dust

Nice, that mage played very poorly so my bad priest deck had an easy time.

C'mon now, are you honestly gonna say Duelyst is big right now? I'll consider that thought maybe after the Steam release.

Duelyst isn't Hearthstone-big, but I think it's the second biggest digital card game out there based on:
1) Queue times.
2) Closeness of ranked-ness in matches.
3) Reddit subscriber size.

For all of those, Duelyst is #2 right now among the various digital card games I am aware of, except for MtG:O, which I don't have any experience with.

I don't disagree with you, though. :)

CoolOff

Lmao, playing some ranked for once, late night at EU rank 18, and I swear, 10 people in a row were BM emoting me. Like, I get it, you think you're good because you're playing Shaman, but it's rank 18 dude and you just won against my Renounce Darkness-deck.

frequency

I've been getting better about stopping and asking what my other options are right before I make my play, such as ignoring minions and going face, and I've been finding lethal a lot more thanks to that, but I always feel bad like I'm BMing when it takes all the way to the rope for me to realize it.

I heard someone say somewhere (I forget where) that you should take your hand off the mouse for the first 20-30 seconds of a turn and just think about it even if the turn seems obvious. I should try to get into the habit of doing that.

squidyj

I'm always counting damage during my opponents turn
"okay I have 15 next turn"
opponent trades
"okay I have 11 next turn"

Top Bottom