• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Cat Party

We need an analysis of available spells. How many are good, bad, and duds? How many can win the game vs. lose it? I know how I'm wasting my day today.

Apathy

So much for them hyping up that card. Cthun is by far the best one, and most playable while nzoth is second that night see some play. These last two have been horrible.

Rogue I think has the best chance of making this card work. And I doubt this is true, but imagine if you shadowstep it and replay, if it somehow doubles the spell count. Probably not but it's even possible that it shadowsteps itself.

Ketch

The card doesn't work like that.

If you only played a fireball this game then this card isn't going to cast that fireball again (well there's a very low chance that it might). It will randomly generate one spell and then use it. If you played two fireballs then it will generate two random spells.

If it generated cards that you used then you could make some cheesy OTK combos with it. Stuff like double Mind Blast, double Savage Roar + FoN combo, board clears etc.

Oh yeah I guess it's not cast a random spell that was cast this game, it's just cast a random spell for each spell cast.

Well that's dumb. It's not even a card then. You can't even make a deck with no spells in it to get the value stats. What's the point? Purposefully making cards that won't see play.

Pretty much.

I really hate this card and hope it sees no play in high level decks.
I can't see this being reliable enough to see play, could be wrong though. I'm okay with dumb RNG shit as long as they don't dominate the meta.

Looking forward to seeing entire Trolden videos being just Yogg fuckery.

Dahbomb

Oh yeah I guess it's not cast a random spell that was cast this game, it's just cast a random spell for each spell cast.

Well that's dumb. It's not even a card then. You can't even make a deck with no spells in it to get the value stats. What's the point? Purposefully making cards that won't see play.
It's a giant dice roll that can make you win a game from a losing position.

You obviously never play this card when you are losing or this is the only minion on board. You play it when you are being overrun and are about to die.

It can potentially put you back in the game with a clutch heal, board clear or even win you the game with potential burn damage to face. If it doesn't then oh well.. you were losing the game anyway.

It uses some insanely cool, digital card only mechanics but it's wasted because it's one of the most RNG cards in the game even including Wild.

Pooya

RNG cards this set are so insane that they are not going to see competitive play. They are even better for trolden videos now. I think that's fine, GvG RNG was mostly just up swing for you so it made sense to play them.

Ketch

It's a giant dice roll that can make you win a game from a losing position.

You obviously never play this card when you are losing or this is the only minion on board. You play it when you are being overrun and are about to die.

It can potentially put you back in the game with a clutch heal, board clear or even win you the game with potential burn damage to face. If it doesn't then oh well.. you were losing the game anyway.

It uses some insanely cool, digital card only mechanics but it's wasted because it's one of the most RNG cards in the game even including Wild.

Yea it's just a bummer because what I originally thought it was seemed like such a neat deck building challenge

Dahbomb

RNG cards this set are so insane that they are not going to see competitive play. They are even better for trolden videos now. I think that's fine, GvG RNG was mostly just up swing for you so it made sense to play them.
Except that Shaman card which is an insane RNG card.

Owzers

So much for them hyping up that card. Cthun is by far the best one, and most playable while nzoth is second that night see some play. These last two have been horrible.

I'm pretty disappointed by the old gods, you have C'thun basic-looking decks, then deathrattles which several good ones leaving standard, a varian variation, and now just a random troll card. I thought these were supposed to be the base of the expansion.

gutshot

Can't wait to die to Spreading Madness in Arena when my opponent is at 1 HP and I'm at 9 with a bunch of minions on the board.

I'm waiting for the game where Yogg-Saron casts Charge on himself with other buff spells. Such an awesome card for an Old God focused on Madness.

All shall bow down to the God of Death!(Even himself sometimes.)

georly

I'm waiting for the game where Yogg-Saron casts Charge on himself with other buff spells. Such an awesome card for an Old God focused on Madness.

Casts nothing but buffs on himself, including charge, finishes it by sapping himself.

gutshot

Yogg-Saron is hilarious and amazing. I'll definitely be crafting him if I don't pull him in my initial pack opening.

So how do Secrets work with him? Would you get any and all Secrets? Or would your opponent potentially get some randomly as well?

What about Lock and Load? Would the subsequent spells cast start giving you random Hunter cards?

Innervate will give you 2 more mana that turn? Prep could make any spells in your hand cost less? Echo of Medivh would duplicate your board or your opponents?

So many questions. Can't wait to try out this card.

Pooya

I'm curious how RNG for this is coded actually, some spells like execute, can it execute a minion that's not damaged for example, seems really complicated. Spellbender for example can get executed so it probably works. This card can entomb or mind control something else, then cast shadow flame on it...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only way to abuse this would be to give yourself immunity on your turn which is impossible.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Especially himself. There are lots of single target removal spells and if he's the only thing on the board he is relatively likely to bow down to himself.

Such a garbage card. Just the worst kind of RNG fest. "Here's a complete dice roll! Hope you get lucky!" Proceeds 3x Pyro to self face.

Yogg-Saron is hilarious and amazing. I'll definitely be crafting him if I don't pull him in my initial pack opening.

So how do Secrets work with him? Would you get any and all Secrets? Or would your opponent potentially get some randomly as well?

What about Lock and Load? Would the subsequent spells cast start giving you random Hunter cards?

Innervate will give you 2 more mana that turn? Prep could make any spells in your hand cost less? Echo of Medivh would duplicate your board or your opponents?

I think spells only target valid targets. Otherwise you'd have a real chance of executing your face lol

georly

I don't think you can give your opponent secrets of cast flamestike on yourself. Imagine it's YOU casting the card, but all targeted spells have the targets chosen at random.

You gain all card draw. You cast all board clears. You gain all secrets. You gain mana crystals from innervate.

Lock and load is curious though. My guess is it'll do nothing because you're not actually casting the spells. It's all a battlecry.

22258.png

Edit: Maybe not
Hearthstone @PlayHearthstone

.@maxterdexter Yes, spells cast by Yogg-Saron can be countered by Counterspell, buff Mana Wyrm, etc.

Tempo mage +1
184px-Mana_Wyrm%28263%29.png

Edit 2:

.@maxterdexter CORRECTION! Spells cast by Yogg-Saron will NOT buff Mana Wyrm, interact with Antonidas, trigger Flamewaker, etc

Well that settles that.

Guess that Summoning Stone deck would've been too powerful.

bjaelke

.@maxterdexter Yes, spells cast by Yogg-Saron can be countered by Counterspell, buff Mana Wyrm, etc.

Tempo mage +1

Apathy

The only way to abuse this would be to give yourself immunity on your turn which is impossible.
Malganis in wild and hope it lives one turn them drop yogg

Also wondering if it has to play through all the animations. Any way to cheese it and play it near the end of your rope and it having some weird interaction like noz and giving up your opponents turn.

Haly

If we assume Yogg Saron is smart enough to only cast valid spells, then that means the best way to go face is to clear the board. If it doesn't summon any minions via spells, then it'll just keep facing.

Especially himself. There are lots of single target removal spells and if he's the only thing on the board he is relatively likely to bow down to himself.

Such a garbage card. Just the worst kind of RNG fest. "Here's a complete dice roll! Hope you get lucky!" Proceeds 3x Pyro to self face.

No one said the Old Gods had to be good. I'm glad there's one that has an effect that encompasses the feeling of madness which is an effect every raid encounter with them.

No one is forcing you to play this card, why by upset by it?

Casts nothing but buffs on himself, including charge, finishes it by sapping himself.

It's all about mind games!

Apathy

If we assume Yogg Saron is smart enough to only cast valid spells, then that means the best way to go face is to clear the board. If it doesn't summon any minions via spells, then it'll just keep facing.

By the sound of it, its going yo target your shit (and face) too. I doubt that they made it do it only targets the opponent, that's too smart.

Haly

By the sound of it, its going yo target your shit (and face) too. I doubt that they made it do it only targets the opponent, that's too smart.

I didn't mean it that way.

I meant if you want a "all-in" play, this is the way to do it.

If Malyrogue is viable I'm going to put this in there for shits and giggles.

bjaelke

.@maxterdexter CORRECTION! Spells cast by Yogg-Saron will NOT buff Mana Wyrm, interact with Antonidas, trigger Flamewaker, etc

Well that settles that.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
No one said the Old Gods had to be good. I'm glad there's one that has an effect that encompasses the feeling of madness which is an effect every raid encounter with them.

No one is forcing you to play this card, why by upset by it?

I am not upset at all. Just think the card emphasizes the part of the game I hate the most. I dread the day my opponent plays this card with 1 HP and I get pyro'd to death from full health. Adding more insane random effects is not the direction I want the game to go in.

I appreciate that the card is madness inducing. I just wish the madness wasn't in the player, but rather in the game.

EDIT: I take it all back. I want to see him Atral Communion my opponent now.

Apathy

With all four god revealed, I just feel so disappointed with this expansion so far. Class wise we still got some more to see, but shamans right now are huge winners (and I hate playing shaman)and the classes I like seem to get bad cards.

I really hope the other half of the cards they show are actually good, cause right now I'm wondering why I should even get it.

gutshot

The @PlayHearthstone Twitter account is clarifiying all the interactions.

Secrets will all go into play as if you casted them. Board clears only hit your opponents' board. And, the most fun of all, Brann DOUBLES the amount of spells Yogg-Saron casts.

Dahbomb

Well that settles that.

LMAO...

Great communication there Blizzard. That's like the 3rd time this week they had to correct something someone on their PR team said.

If the effects don't actually count as spells themselves then stuff like Lock n Load is useless.

Top Bottom