• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Apathy

Hearthstone @PlayHearthstone

.@gamingdude295 You will see each of the spells cast by Yogg in order, and they will also appear in the game history under Yogg's entry.

My phone is going to melt by the end of my turn.

77053-Im-not-even-mad-thats-amazing-X713.gif

Now I'm really going to wish wish i could scroll down on the history.

NBtoaster

If you cast enough spells, you will probably win the game on the spot because plenty of stuff can only target the enemy, and yogg only selects from valid targets..

This set is looking terrible. I knew the last Old God would involve spells, but I didn't expect one of the Old Gods would be completely unusable.

Portugeezer

NSJMX58KA7I71459988929592.gif

When you're losing a match... fuck it.

Wouldn't this card be be good for Control Warrior? Plays a lot of removal spells and when casting it could potentially have high health/armour total? Probably does more damage to opponent than yourself. You'd have to get really unlucky.

NSJMX58KA7I71459988929592.gif

When you're losing a match... fuck it.

Wouldn't be be good for Control Warrior? Plays a lot of removal spells and when casting it could potentially have high health/armour total? Probably does more damage to opponent than yourself.
The spells it casts are random. So you could be playing Control Warrior, and this card could Pyroblast your face when you drop it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The spells it casts are random. So you could be playing Control Warrior, and this card could Pyroblast your face when you drop it.

Yeah, but the spells have to follow normal targeting rules. So if it says target the enemy, it has to.

You know, doing some dumb simulator, this thing is could also end up also being a RNG Mysterious Challenger. When I roll 10-15 spells, it gets tends to get 3 to 5 secrets.

Moonlight

Banned
Can't wait till someone plays it and the first thing it does is Mulch itself. Ten mana do nothing and add a card to your opponent's hand. The value.

Cels

the card is already super random, i don't like the fact that it can fizzle spells. instead, after every spell cast, the game should check if the conditions are not met for certain spells to be cast, and remove those spells from the pool until the next spell is cast from the battlecry.

Yeah, but the spells have to follow normal targeting rules. So if it says target the enemy, it has to.

You know, doing some dumb simulator, this thing is could also end up also being a RNG Mysterious Challenger. When I roll 10-15 spells, it gets tends to get 3 to 5 secrets.
Then there are all the worthless spells in the game. Playing that spell brawl taught me that 50% of the spells in the game have no use unless you are prepared to use them.

Can't wait till someone plays it and the first thing it does is Mulch itself. Ten mana do nothing and add a card to your opponent's hand. The value.
If it kills itself, the effects continue.

But seriously, how dumb is it that it can kill itself? It should be immune to spells.

That's gonna be hell to play into if it pulls a Hunter, a Paladin and a mage secret. There's no way to play around that. For all you know it's Repentance/Snipe/Mirror.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This set is looking terrible. I knew the last Old God would involve spells, but I didn't expect one of the Old Gods would be completely unusable.

He's not completely unusable. If your opponent has lethal on board and you have no other answers you have nothing to lose by playing him. In fact, you might get lethal out of nowhere.

He's not completely unusable. If your opponent has lethal on board and you have no other answers you have nothing to lose by playing him. In fact, you might get lethal out of nowhere.
As Dahbomb continually reminds me, it's about the opportunity cost of the card. What else could you have put in your deck that might have prevented that situation in the first place? Maybe if you had a Flamestrike, a Brawl, or a Vanish, your opponent wouldn't have lethal anyway. So why put the 10-mana card that could do anything instead of a card that you can consistently use to get results you want and can control?

This card is basically making a deck that plans to fail.

But if it keeps picking direct damage spells after it played a board wipe like Hellfire, Excavated Evil, Equality with some other combo, Doom, or Twisting Nether, it has to select a target. If enough spells are cast, eventually the only viable targets will be the players. After one of them dies, all direct damage will have to hit the other player. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Yogg results in a tie at least 25% of the time it's played.

As Dahbomb continually reminds me, it's about the opportunity cost of the card. What else could you have put in your deck that might have prevented that situation in the first place? Maybe if you had a Flamestrike, a Brawl, or a Vanish, your opponent wouldn't have lethal anyway. So why put the 10-mana card that could do anything instead of a card that you can consistently use to get results you want and can control?

Yeah, this is my issue with the card. It's a dead draw if you draw it early and you don't want to play it if you're ahead because it might just kill you. The only time it's valuable is if you're going to lose anyway, but why run a card that only serves as a desperate Hail Mary?

But if it keeps picking direct damage spells after it played a board wipe like Hellfire, Excavated Evil, Equality with some other combo, Doom, or Twisting Nether, it has to select a target. If enough spells are cast, eventually the only viable targets will be the players. After one of them dies, all direct damage will have to hit the other player. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Yogg results in a tie at least 25% of the time it's played.
It can also cast shit like Animal Companion, Living Roots, Muster for Dudes, etc. Plenty of spells summon minions for it to target.

gutshot

As soon as one of Yogg-Saron's spells cause lethal damage to a player, it will stop casting spells.

https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/718137544609828865

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

In some types of decks your available answer space is limited, like a Reno deck. Reno Warrior has one Brawl and no other board clears for example. If you are desperate for a swing card and don't have any better options available you... MIGHT pick him?

Plus there is always a chance you grab him from some means other than including him in your deck, some random minion generator card or something. Like Unstable Portal.

Not saying the card is good but I wouldn't say he's the worst card by any strech either.

It can also cast shit like Animal Companion, Living Roots, Muster for Dudes, etc. Plenty of spells summon minions for it to target.

Yeah, I guess that's possible. I still don't think I'll ever put it into a deck.

As soon as one of Yogg-Saron's spells cause lethal damage to a player, it will stop casting spells.

Apparently this thing doesn't follow any of the rules.

Sheroking

But on average, a Warrior with 20+ armour would come off on top, no?

On average, you should come out ahead regardless of armor. Targeted spells will, at the most, have 33% chance to hit your face (you, the opponent and Yogg being the three guaranteed targets). Spells like Sinister Strike, Headcrack, Mind Blast, Fist of Jaraxxus, etc will all find the enemy target only.

There's a chance Yogg just kills you but there's a bigger chance he kills your opponent. Also a pretty good chance he gives you secrets, wipes their board, summons you other minions, etc. Call of the Wild exists now, too.

Apathy

So you can't even tie, wow. You better hope RNGesus is on your side then, cause this is going to cause so many rage posts. Not from me though, cause I will never, ever craft this and would rather dust it if I get it from a pack, cause fuck this stupid card.

Speaking of stupid cards, yes blizzard, paladins should have the ability to get anyfin in this brawl, yes, that is not a stupid idea at all. Why can't this random card shit just be "build your own deck and get 20 random portals in it", would make it less bullshit. Hell let me make a 10 card deck and put in 20 portals into it, experiment with that

Dahbomb

This card is a bigger mess than Batman v Superman.

While this statement is completely true, I am going to play devil's advocate here for a bit.

1) This card has a lot of rule breaking qualities to it. It's extremely difficult to evaluate this card without actually extensively testing it.

2) This card cannot really be compared to any other card in the game EXCEPT maybe Deathwing in terms of bringing you back from a practically lost game.

3) Not only can it potentially bring you from a losing game to a game you can potentially win but it's a card that can OUTRIGHT win you the game by itself. There's no card in the game that is quite like this... like someone said you could have done nothing this game but played a few spells to stall, opponent could be at 30 HP with a full board, you drop down this card and they get hit in the face for 3 Pyroblasts. Yes that's obscene RNG but that's RNG unlike any other card in the game.

We joke about how Unstable Portal is basically a dice you roll and if you get a 6 you essentially win the game outright. This card is kinda like that too. Needs to be tested before we can get a good grasp of how this card performs. We also need an average value of how many spells on average does this card have to pull off for it to produce a very threatening state and how many decks can pull it off.

But on average, a Warrior with 20+ armour would come off on top, no?
I think there are a few answers to this:
1) On average, the card might end up doing nothing useful at all.
2) If you got 20+ armor, why not play another legendary that will put you close to victory, like Ysera, Grom, Golden Monkey, etc, instead?
3) The card could reduce your lead, which is undesirable.

Jesus. With all the arbitrary guidelines this card has its sure to fuck something up like Nozdormu or Raptor.

If there was a Hearthstone rulebook you would need an entire chapter just for Yogg. Dude has more rules then a Nen user in Hunter x Hunter

Sheroking

You know what people aith limited library prob gonna play this anyway because fucķ it. I would toò.

I'll have the full standard set, but I'm still going to play the hell out of it. It looks super fun.

I think it's better than people are thinking here, although Karsticles raises a good point. Why take the risk when you can play it safe with some other stuff. Golden Monkey in particular is going to be the better end-game play for control decks 100% of the time.

Gonna regularly get a Yogg from Golden Monkey anyway

Paches

Saying you can't play this because of a Pyro to the face is like saying I don't want to play Shredder because I might get Doomsayer.

That said, I don't think this card is actually good.

Like there's no way you should be playing this cars when you're ahead, it could only fuck it up, you're better off playing cards that are consistently good to get farther ahead.

If you're behind and know for sure that you're gonna lose you might as well play this and see what happens. It's the only card that can make you win from an unwinnable situation but it generally will not.

Fishlake

This is turning out to be my favorite expansion.

The Timmy in me from my Yu-gi-oh days is being reborn.

Now I just need more gold, currently at 33 packs for free.

Szadek

It's funny just how unplayable this card is.
Can't wait to discard my entrie hand, heal the other play and destory the 10 mana card I just played.

I don't think most players care. They just want to see crazy stuff happen.

I am soooo glad that C'thun is an auto-get instead of this.
C'Thun is by far the easiest card to build a deck around(since you get a few buff cards as well), Y'Shaarj needs big minions(which are expensive), N'Zoth is good with specific big Deathrattle minions(mostly legendaries), and this card is just insane.

Dahbomb

What the hell man???

How does this interact with Forbidden spells, BTW? Just do nothing/summon Wisps?
That's addressed here:

The forbidden spells will use any mana you have remaining, although they'll usually cost 0 anyway due to Yogg-Saron costing 10. Tweet
However, if astral communion, Innervate or Nourish (with the mana gain selected) are played, it will most likely use that mana next time a forbidden spell is played.

Top Bottom