• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

fertygo

Yeah Paladin had the most dominant early game is BS

Sadly its also doesn't made any sense for Shaman either that gonna take over the King of Tempo crown

ViviOggi

Shaman also follows the same style of Paladin "win more" only it comes with Overload nonsense and RNG hero power.
You're not wrong and overload has proven to be an awful mechanic but Shaman has a decent variety of unique, non-binary tools on top of that. Most of them just aren't good enough or too combo-focused with too little payoff in our hypertempo meta, which doesn't mean they have to be useless forever though (see the totem theme that might just start working with this expansion).

go fuck yourself.
Really?

ViviOggi

Yeah Paladin had the most dominant early game is BS

Sadly its also doesn't made any sense for Shaman either that gonna take over the King of Tempo crown
The thing is that Shaman has not gotten any busted early game in OG so far, their upcoming strong to insane cards are all clearly midrange/control-focused. Iirc Blizz hasn't shown remarkably strong 1-3-drops for any class so far, and if the nerfs turn out well that's a very good thing going forward.

Apathy

The thing is that Shaman has not gotten any busted early game in OG so far, their upcoming strong to insane cards are all clearly midrange/control-focused. Iirc Blizz hasn't shown remarkably strong 1-3-drops for any class so far, and if the nerfs turn out well that's a very good thing going forward.

The 1-3 drops we've seen so far from classes seem very fair.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Real talk?

Twilight Summoner might be one of the most underrated cards in the set.

Sheroking

Trogg into Golem is busted. It's just only played in the face deck right now because that's the only reasonable Shaman deck.

Just like the Minibot/Juggler/Muster curve fit into both aggressive Paladin decks and Midrange, I expect the Trogg/Golem curve will be the early game foundation for Midrange Shaman in WOG. Even Tuskar Totemic has a chance to be pretty good, with cards like Minibot and Scientist out of the way who trade for it and get more value.

man we're still missing half the cards. This reveal is gonna take forever.

If it's anything like TGT, they will just drop dozens of cards at once as we approach the release.

ViviOggi

Real talk?

Twilight Summoner might be one of the most underrated cards in the set.
I don't see any circumstances where the tempo loss of dropping a 4-mana 1/1 isn't utterly devastating. If your opponent can't efficiently deal with it immediatel they'll just leave it up, which means you'll have to throw it into something and wait another turn to use the 5/5. The only potentially impactful synergy I can think of is PO as the buffed 5/5 kills almost any 4-drop, but then it really is just a clunkier egg. Lategame AoE protection I guess... even I don't want a meta so slow that you'd run 4 mana 1/1s to protect against Flamestrike.

What makes you think that?

Owzers

Watching kibler die to freeze Mage just now was gross, died from 30 health with just a 1 Atk Alex on board. Bloodmage with reduced cost spells till doomed at once.

Apathy

Watching kibler die to freeze Mage just now was gross, died from 30 health with just a 1 Atk Alex on board. Bloodmage with reduced cost spells till doomed at once.

Should never have been a thing and how blizzard overlooked that again goes to show the bullshit testing they do. Emp is a strong card, and would still be strong if it only reduced minions instead of all cards. Cheaper spells will keep one turn burst from 30 like this possible.

Sheroking

Theoretical wombo-combo.

Play Deathwing, Dragonlord with Malygos in your hand. If you can trade Deathwing away on your turn, you can play Velen, Embrace the Shadow and Flash Heal for a 20 damage burst. With a single emperor tick, you can hit them with two flash heals and your hero power for 44 damage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My biggest issue with Old Gods so far is it still doesn't address the rise of straight aggro again. Sure things like BGH and Knife nerfs change things.

I just feel like the new cards seem slow to play, and we are back where Face Hunter just wins before it matters.

fertygo

Yeah Trogg into Golem can made you piss your pant just as Minibot + Coghammer

maybe not as good as muster but still, hero power on turn 3 also maybe not bad option now with that mana cost cheating taunt minion and Master of Evol

these is very dominant curve, easily better than Dragon Priest's.

tried building a paladin dragond eck right now online, the only problem is that i'm trying to get more early game and there are a bunch of 4 mana cards
I've been working a Secret Dragon Pally deck for the last 2 months. I think this Deathwing could be very helpful because the flaw of the deck is trying to get the dragons out of your hand in an efficient way. I'm very interested in seeing how to build a deck around this card. Should be fun.

Owzers

My biggest issue with Old Gods so far is it still doesn't address the rise of straight aggro again. Sure things like BGH and Knife nerfs change things.

I just feel like the new cards seem slow to play, and we are back where Face Hunter just wins before it matters.

60 cards left to give me hope i don't die by turn 6.

ViviOggi

^ No Minibot replacement, be it neutral or something different for each class, is concerning. That 4/4 thing is not gonna cut it for sure.

Trogg into Golem is busted. It's just only played in the face deck right now because that's the only reasonable Shaman deck.

Just like the Minibot/Juggler/Muster curve fit into both aggressive Paladin decks and Midrange, I expect the Trogg/Golem curve will be the early game foundation for Midrange Shaman in WOG. Even Tuskar Totemic has a chance to be pretty good, with cards like Minibot and Scientist out of the way who trade for it and get more value.
It's semi-busted in aggro right now because they don't care much about losing turn 3, they'll just fill it with their shitty Abusives, Leper Gnomes and whatnot. I think for midrange the overload is really relevant though, Totemic turns into a dead card and when you chain Totem Golems you can't drop your Hyperyeti on curve. Heavier Midrange lists also tend to be lighter on overload cards and not run Lava Shock so the Trogg doesn't go out of control as easily, and then it's suddenly not that great of a 1-drop unless followed by exactly Totem Golem.

I dunno, maybe it'll still be good enough but thanks to the overload clunkiness it'll never be Minibot+Muster tier, i.e. best in slot value bombs with no drawbacks.

I just had the happiest win against Renolock. I have Savannah Highmane out with the Leokk buff, and he BGHs my Highmane. Well, both of the hyenas proc Juggler to target BGH to kill it in return. :-D

Sheroking

It's semi-busted in aggro right now because they don't care much about losing turn 3, they'll just fill it with their shitty Abusives, Leper Gnomes and whatnot. I think for midrange the overload is really relevant though, Totemic turns into a dead card and when you chain Totem Golems you can't drop your Hyperyeti on curve. Heavier Midrange lists also tend to be lighter on overload cards and not run Lava Shock so the Trogg doesn't go out of control as easily, and then it's suddenly not that great of a 1-drop unless followed by exactly Totem Golem.

I dunno, maybe it'll still be good enough but thanks to the overload goblinhead it'll never be Minibot+Muster tier, i.e. absurd value bombs with no drawbacks.

Well, half the time you have the coin which disregards one turn of overload. Maybe the way to get around it is by running value 2 drops and the expectation that you will play a 2 drop on turn 3. Totem Golem is essentially just getting a three drop on turn 2 anyway.

Maybe that makes Master of Evolution worse though, because hitting a 2 drop is a lot worse than hitting a 3. The 4 drops in the game are just on average MUCH stronger than the three drops.

ZealousD

I don't see any circumstances where the tempo loss of dropping a 4-mana 1/1 isn't utterly devastating. If your opponent can't efficiently deal with it immediatel they'll just leave it up, which means you'll have to throw it into something and wait another turn to use the 5/5. The only potentially impactful synergy I can think of is PO as the buffed 5/5 kills almost any 4-drop, but then it really is just a clunkier egg. Lategame AoE protection I guess... even I don't want a meta so slow that you'd run 4 mana 1/1s to protect against Flamestrike.

The "tempo loss" argument is not compelling for a couple reasons.

1.) Any tempo loss on Turn 4 is going to be regained on Turn 5. It's like you'll play a 4 mana 5/5 that deals 1 damage, plus whatever you play on Turn 5. That's going to be a huge board swing. And it's almost guaranteed to occur IMMEDIATELY after the turn where you lost tempo.

2.) Most of the cards revealed in Old Gods are very slow. We haven't really seen too much evidence for insane early cards. We don't have any cards like Haunted Creeper, Mounted Raptor, or Shredder that are impossible to punish at their mana cost. So the meta could easily slow down to the point where having a bad Turn 4 is worth having a huge Turn 5.

3.) I usually hate this argument, but it seems to attract some people so I'll say it anyway to convince them. Isn't this a 4 mana 6/6?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The "tempo loss" argument is not compelling for a couple reasons.

1.) Any tempo loss on Turn 4 is going to be regained on Turn 5. It's like you'll play a 4 mana 5/5 that deals 1 damage, plus whatever you play on Turn 5. That's going to be a huge board swing. And it's almost guaranteed to occur IMMEDIATELY after the turn where you lost tempo.

2.) Most of the cards revealed in Old Gods are very slow. We haven't really seen too much evidence for insane early cards. We don't have any cards like Haunted Creeper, Mounted Raptor, or Shredder that are impossible to punish at their mana cost. So the meta could easily slow down to the point where having a bad Turn 4 is worth having a huge Turn 5.

3.) I usually hate this argument, but it seems to attract some people so I'll say it anyway to convince them. Isn't this a 4 mana 6/6?

I desperately hope this card becomes popular so I can steal the fuck out of it with Priest. Honestly Shadow Madness and Cabal Shadow Priest remaining strong could be enough to push this out. That is if priest can field a semi-competitive deck. If not, well it will be good at farming ladder ranks at low levels anyhow.

Dahbomb

Being a 4 mana 6/6 doesn't matter much when the initial body is garbagio. That's too big of a tempo loo up front and the tempo gain isn't as high later on.

It's the Wobbling Runts example. It's technically a 8/12 for 6 but the 2 attack makes it slow unlike Piloted Sky Golem.

Unlike Nerubian Egg which comes out much quicker, is cheaper and returns higher tempo when it dies.

This card has additional weaknesses like being free to Shadow Madness. It's a balanced Nerubian Egg through and through... and balanced sometimes isn't enough to see play.

That said this card might still see play because decks are still going to be thirsty for sticky stuff.

Sheroking

Twilight Summoner is a balanced Nerubian Egg. It serves the same purpose. Insurance against Consec, something to buff and trade and leave you with a board.

It's just SO vulnerable to Priest I have trouble seeing Zoo playing it. Shadow Madness on turn 4 is game losing, and the card is completely useless in the late game.

ZealousD

Being a 4 mana 6/6 doesn't matter much when the initial body is garbagio. That's too big of a tempo loo up front and the tempo gain isn't as high later on.

It's the Wobbling Runts example. It's technically a 8/12 for 6 but the 2 attack makes it slow unlike Piloted Sky Golem.

Wobbling Runts is garbage because the initial body has 6 freaking health. You can't pop that shit and your opponent certainly won't pop it for you. Twilight Summoner can be immediately popped the turn after you play it.

Sheroking

Wobbling Runts is garbage because the initial body has 6 freaking health. You can't pop that shit and your opponent certainly won't pop it for you. Twilight Summoner can be immediately popped the turn after you play it.

Runts is pretty good if you can taunt it or buff it. There's just no good deck archetype for that kind of play right now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

It's probably a little bit more like a creeper where you want to keep it alive until the opponent kills it or you absolutely need to use it.

Being 2 mana more than creeper and egg hurts, but creeper and egg are both going away for standard.

Stickiness is a powerful tool, and there's not many minions like that left for standard.

Dahbomb

Even when it gets popped, a 4 mana 5/5 that results in tempo loss isn't good. The opponent can just pop the 1/1 and deal with the 5/5 after to prevent the buff/Raptor play... that's no where as punishing as popping Nerubian Egg to deny the buffs/value plays.

I am not saying the card is bad but I feel it's being rated appropriately.

ViviOggi

Let me address point 2 real quick before going to bed.

It's never that easy, in fact most of us had the exact same hopes before TGT and look how that turned out. The influx of slow cards is almost meaningless for the meta on its own, as long as there's no adequate ways of dealing with high-tempo curve plays people will just take whatever fits that purpose best from the old card pool. Blizz will nerf the worst offenders but any expansion has had more than enough early game drops that, in an aggro shell with attack buffs, just shit on Twilight Summoner. Hell even a C'Thun deck with its prebuilt vanilla curve probably deals with Summoner just fine.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Even when it gets popped, a 4 mana 5/5 that results in tempo loss isn't good. The opponent can just pop the 1/1 and deal with the 5/5 after to prevent the buff/Raptor play... that's no where as punishing as popping Nerubian Egg to deny the buffs/value plays.

But you are either using a 2 mana ping or a minion's full attack turn just to pop the 1/1. That makes it harder to efficiently deal with the 5/5 that comes after. It's not like directly playing a 4 mana 5/5.

If your egg gets silenced you don't lose the game.

With all these slow big impact deathrattles people will be running it, so nerfs or priest counters aside, the card will not work.

ZealousD

I would be estatic if my opponent popped the summoner immediately after I played it. Then I would have gotten a 5/5 with an upside. And I don't think you guys should underestimate a 4 mana 5/5. That fights with basically every other 4 drop in the game. Like let's say I'm up against mage and I drop this guy. Mage drops water elemental. I get a 5/5 and they get a 3/5. I win that fight.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If your egg gets silenced you don't lose the game.

With all these slow big impact deathrattles people will be running it, so nerfs or priest counters aside, the card will not work.

Now that's true. I didn't think about that.

I guess bring on the owl nerf to only silence taunt minions.

I just played against this Priest that had nothing but steal-based cards:
Mindgames
Shadow Madness
Thoughtsteal
Mind Vision (this card seems bad?)
Entomb

So I was basically playing against my own deck. I won, but I think he would have won if he didn't misunderstand Grim Patron's proc at one moment in our match. Anyone have experience with this?

ZealousD

It's never that easy, in fact most of us had the exact same hopes before TGT and look how that turned out. The influx of slow cards is almost meaningless for the meta on its own, as long as there's no adequate ways of dealing with high-tempo curve plays people will just take whatever fits that purpose best from the old card pool. Blizz will nerf the worst offenders but any expansion has had more than enough early game drops that, in an aggro shell with attack buffs, just shit on Twilight Summoner. Hell even a C'Thun deck with its prebuilt vanilla curve probably deals with Summoner just fine.

When TGT came, GVG and Naxx weren't being rotated out. A HUGE CHUNK of the ridiculously high tempo early plays like Scientist, Minibot, Muster, Shredder, Haunted Creeper, etc are going away in Standard.

Sheroking

Mindgames
Shadow Madness
Thoughtsteal
Entomb

So I was basically playing against my own deck. I won, but I think he would have won if he didn't misunderstand Grim Patron's proc at one moment in our match. Anyone have experience with this?

Steal Priest and Randouin Wrynn both run those cards (or most of those cards). It used to be more common.

Dahbomb

Mindgames
Shadow Madness
Thoughtsteal
Entomb

All in steal Priest. Not that good but sometimes the RNG favors him and he steals the best stuff.

Steal Priest and Randouin Wrynn both run those cards (or most of those cards). It used to be more common.
He gave me his list; he just threw it together to mess around, so some of these cards can clearly go:

Mind Vision x2
Power Word: Shield x2
Loot Hoarder x2
Recombobulator x2
Shrinkmeister x2
Shadow Word: Death x1
Thoughtsteal x2
Mind Control Technician x2
Mindgames x2
Shadow Madness x2
Kezan Mystic x1
Faceless Manipulator x2
Entomb x2
Cabal Shadow Priest x2
Sylvannas x1
Nefarian x1
Mind Control x2

He said he does well vs. control decks, which interests me. I think it goes in too hard on the steal mechanics, but I wonder if there's something here worth pursuing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Anduin Thief and Randuin Wrynn have both been around a long time. They're not meant to be serious competitive decks, they're for fun. Having played a ton of Randuin, it wins a surprising amount but still fairly often you just have no chance. Once in a while you'll get some outcomes that are just unbeatable though, and it's always fun.

Control Priest already does well against a lot of control decks, especially now with Entomb and Elise. You don't need to build a pure thief Priest for that.

Levi

Banned
Deathwing 2 might be too slow even in a slow meta but it's the first new legendary I've seen where I wanted to put it in a deck today.

It has negative synergy with a lot of the dragons (losing the battlecry cripples Twilight Drake, for example) but I think there's a way to build a deck with that in mind.

Maybe Chillmaw or another deathrattle minion can draw out removal so you can run DW2 in a relatively safe position.

DW2 is a decent arena card but if you're playing a 12/12 on turn 10 in arena and you're not in danger of dying immediately from their board, you were probably already winning anyway. I would much rather pick OG Deathwing in Arena.

Dahbomb

He gave me his list; he just threw it together to mess around, so some of these cards can clearly go:

Mind Vision x2
Power Word: Shield x2
Loot Hoarder x2
Recombobulator x2
Shrinkmeister x2
Shadow Word: Death x1
Thoughtsteal x2
Mind Control Technician x2
Mindgames x2
Shadow Madness x2
Kezan Mystic x1
Faceless Manipulator x2
Entomb x2
Cabal Shadow Priest x2
Sylvannas x1
Nefarian x1
Mind Control x2

He said he does well vs. control decks, which interests me. I think it goes in too hard on the steal mechanics, but I wonder if there's something here worth pursuing.
If you have double Mind Control and double Entomb then you are winning all non Warlock control match ups (and losing against aggro/tempo). Surprised he isn't also running Convert and Sideshow Spelleater.

Cat Party

This shows you how bullshit the claim that freeze mage takes skill to play is. If you aren't playing a heal/armor deck, freeze mage beats you if it draws the cards in the right order. The only skill involved is not fucking up.

Thankfully, the loss of Mad Scientist will make it a little harder for freeze mage to guarantee its ice blocks get out, and hopefully Alex is nerfed to uselessness.

Levi

Banned
Control Priest already does well against a lot of control decks, especially now with Entomb and Elise. You don't need to build a pure thief Priest for that.

Very tough to win in fatigue against priest when they can just cabal your deathlords, and play 2 of their own, forcing you to draw 4 minions directly from your deck. The only way to beat a priest as a CW in my experience is to bait them into using their Clerics to draw a bunch of cards. An experienced priest player who avoids drawing cards--crazy hard to win. Gotta pray your Golden Monkey gives you significantly better cards than theirs does

If you have double Mind Control and double Entomb then you are winning all non Warlock control match ups (and losing against aggro/tempo). Surprised he isn't also running Convert and Sideshow Spelleater.
That moment when you steal Dr. Boom from your opponent and get to play him first. :-O

Mulgrok

If it's anything like TGT, they will just drop dozens of cards at once as we approach the release.

I am not very good at Hearthstone, but even I am getting a 66% win rate with totem shaman deck. Any turn that I have to play a totem because of awkward overload gets turned into a bonus with the synergy cards.

EDIT: Currently rank 8 with it.

Dart

Very tough to win in fatigue against priest when they can just cabal your deathlords, and play 2 of their own, forcing you to draw 4 minions directly from your deck. The only way to beat a priest as a CW in my experience is to bait them into using their Clerics to draw a bunch of cards. An experienced priest player who avoids drawing cards--crazy hard to win. Gotta pray your Golden Monkey gives you significantly better cards than theirs does

Yesterday I played a game against CW, he had the upper hand until he threw out two Acolytes of pain onto the board with 7 cards in hand, suddenly all those circle of healing, pw:s, flash heals, wild pyro didn't seem so bad

Top Bottom