• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Acerac

Banned
Wait, if you summoned Brann would you then get another minion? I'm thinking it might because the Battlecry phase would still be resolving and so Brann might cause it to proc again. That would be insane.

You certainly would.

This'll be a good card, it'll certainly see a lot of use. I don't think this'll be Azure Drake level of auto-include however (though I imagine they'll see lots of play together with Brann, Spellslinger, and the like).

Wait, if you summoned Brann would you then get another minion? I'm thinking it might because the Battlecry phase would still be resolving and so Brann might cause it to proc again. That would be insane.
I hope it works like that but it might not since the Battlecry was trigger before he was summoned to the board.

Dahbomb

This card is probably balanced in Constructed especially if you factor in potential power creep down the line.

It's a Midrange card in a class that isn't known to play actual Midrange.

6 mana is a lot and at that stat line people start wanting very powerful effects like Sylvanas and Thaurissan. A class minion at 6 mana needs to bring a lot to the table to compete. So I don't think this is game breaking in constructed... it will just be very annoying to against if it does see a lot of play.

I want Midranged Mage to become a thing so I'm happy with this card(besides the RNG).

Related, I finally have a decent Midranged Hunter deck(replaced Boom with Krush and had to make some other adjustments) and having a lot of success and fun with it, midrange is truly HS at its best IMO.

It's like a silver hand knight but instead of always getting a 3/3 you sometimes get something better or worse. Looks like a good arena card but not really the type of card that fits into a constructed deck.

It also plays right into sylvanas' game plan. It's not a bad card though.

Rockyrock

This card is probably balanced in Constructed especially if you factor in potential power creep down the line.

6 mana is a lot and at that stat line people start wanting very powerful effects like Sylvanas and Thaurissan. A class minion at 6 mana needs to bring a lot to the table to compete. So I don't think this is game breaking in constructed... it will just be very annoying to against if it does see a lot of play.

constructed isnt the problem.

Its incredibly good in arena and its a common to a class that is already one of the top 2 classes.

if it was a rare I dont think it'd be that big of a deal.

CoolOff

constructed isnt the problem.

Its incredibly good in arena and its a common to a class that is already one of the top 2 classes.

if it was a rare I dont think it'd be that big of a deal.

And it shows once again that there is zero fucking consideration for arena balancing.

I guess the Warrior cards were just a fluke.

Tarazet

It's also entering a meta where the pool of midrange minions has been slashed dramatically. No more Piloted Shredder, Loatheb, or Sludge Belcher. Compared with other 6 drops, it trades in an aggressively favorable way with most. Even trade with Cairne, Fire Elemental and Boulderfist, usually. Sylvanas recks it, but she's Sylvanas, she recks everything.

FeD.nL

This is so funny. It's literally like they want either Paladin or Mage to be the Arena class with Rogue for the more experienced players. Like who the fuck is the one that says in that meeting: "Let's make this a common, Mage is slipping a bit lately"

edit: And I'm 100% sure now that there are two teams within Team 5. A Brode team that loves to embrace the RNG and a Dodds team that tries to come up with ways to lessen the RNG

Remember sky golem? This card probably won't be played in top constructed decks. It's not like mage has lacked solid value minions in the 6 slot in the past. Maybe the meta shakes things up enough, but so far looking like an arena card, or a budget value deck.

georly

Remember sky golem? This card probably won't be played in top constructed decks. It's not like mage has lacked solid value minions in the 6 slot in the past. Maybe the meta shakes things up enough, but so far looking like an arena card, or a budget value deck.

If sky golem was common it'd be in every arena deck all the time. This is 100% a S++ tier arena card. This is *ok* in constructed and might fill in a gap in a reno deck.

So yes, just reiterating your point, but putting emphasis on ARENA GOOD.

Rockyrock

Sky Golem is actually a good card for 6 mana. Its just in constructed its not good enough.

#1 it has deathrattle meaning it can be silenced or removed without giving you value.
#2 it was a mech and most mech synergy decks were aggro meaning this card rarely fit in constructed decks.
#3 its an Epic so its not seen in arena that often, but when it is its a good card.

Like just imagine how annoying arena would be if every game you had to deal with a sky golem... that would be annoying as shit.

The new mage card gives you immediate value and you have the chance to chance multiple in your arena draft quite often. Pair that with it being in the class with the best removal cards in the game and you're just asking for trouble.

Apathy

Sky Golem is actually a good card for 6 mana. Its just in constructed its not good enough.

#1 it has deathrattle meaning it can be silenced or removed without giving you value.
#2 it was a mech and most mech synergy decks were aggro meaning this card rarely fit in constructed decks.
#3 its an Epic so its not seen in arena that often, but when it is its a good card.

Like just imagine how annoying arena would be if every game you had to deal with a sky golem... that would be annoying as shit.

The new mage card gives you immediate value and you have the chance to chance multiple in your arena draft quite often. Pair that with it being in the class with the best removal cards in the game and you're just asking for trouble.

Also by 6 you start hitting legendaries, so you get more options for things to add in at that point.

In arena this thing is nuts, in constructed, maybe, but you got other choices.

Weird, thought you just got that one.

I've been seeing so many face hunters today, it's crazy. Also, why is it always huffer.

weirdest mage I've ever played, played mirror image > mirror image > ping > ping > booty bay bodyguard > booty bay bodyguard > mountain giant > healbot, he was dead by that point but wtf deck was that.
Not sure about the Booty Bay Bodyguard, but Grinder Mage sounds likely.

3 drops in Standard: http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards?filt...filter-unreleased=1&filter-class=17&display=3

You could summon Acolyte of Pain and lose the fatigue war!
What's the worst 3-drop?

Not sure about the Booty Bay Bodyguard, but Grinder Mage sounds likely.

What's the worst 3-drop?

alarmo bot or any of the 1/4. The other ones are great, like blademaster and mukla. Damn those would be sick to get. Also it's random so that list doesnt take into account all the other class 3 drops you could get

Noxious revealed a new minion:

635961491120327409.png

Umm, how is this fair? If it summoned a 2 drop, it would still be good. In arena, this card is just insane

Rockyrock

Some of the best case scenarios in my opinion:
-Any 3/4
-Brann
-Mukla (!!!)
-Shade (?)
-Injured Blademaster (!!!)
-Shadowfiend
-Arcane golem (can charge upon summoning)
-Wolfrider (Lesser Arcane Golem, basically makes this card a Fire Elemental)
-Argent Horserider (same)
-Emperor Cobra
-Deathlord (?)
-Flamewaker
-Frothing Berserker
-Felguard (!!!)
-Mana Tide and Acolyte for the cycle
-Imp Gang Boss
-Mounted Raptor
Shows how crazy some outcomes can be. And Silver Hand Knight is already a really good arena card. This card almost always outvalues him.

*stolen from reddit*

Sheroking

EDIT: The post above me has it covered.

I didn't even think about arena not having the Naxx restriction. Imp Gang Boss could be insane value.

gutshot

Even Alarm-o-Bot isn't terrible, since it will generally soak up some damage for you. No one is going to want to let it live.

Sheroking

Imp gang boss is blackrock mountain.

At least this card isn't neutral. Sorta?

I would have bet my life that Imp Gang Boss was Naxx for some reason. Seems like an asshole Naxx card.

Just looked up what three drops will summon in Arena/Wild/Brawl but not Standard:

Stoneskin Gargoyle
Shade of Naxx
Deathlord
Dark Cultist
Grove Tender
Metaltooth Leaper
Soot Spewer
Scarlett Purifier
Iron Sensei
Flying Machine
Gnomeregan Infantry
Ogre Brute
Spider Tank
Tinkertown Technician
Gnomish Experimentor
Goblin Sapper
Illuminator
Lil Excorcist
Hobgoblin

I actually think GvG and Naxx make the card worse. Lots of ass 3 drops in those sets, weirdly.

Rockyrock

Imp gang boss is blackrock mountain.

At least this card isn't neutral. Sorta?

right. its a class card so you wont see it as much as shredder but its a mage card which is already like 50% of the game you play in arena.

tack on that 25% draft bonus for the new expansion and you'll be seeing at least 2 of these in just about every arena mage deck for a while

Tarazet

Started a new account on Asia for the hell of it, open my third free pack.. golden Deathwing. What am I going to do with this?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Someone on Reddit divided the 3 drops up into a tier list.

Definitely seems like it's going to be a top tier card.

Are Demolisher and Raid Leader even that bad for free?

They are incentivized to deal with the Raid Leader first and if you have a board the turn you play the card, it helps in trading.

Demolisher is similarly probably not going to be left on the board.

Are Demolisher and Raid Leader even that bad for free?

They are incentivized to deal with the Raid Leader first and if you have a board the turn you play the card, it helps in trading.

Demolisher is similarly probably not going to be left on the board.

Yeah I think I'd at least move it up to average.

Also all the 3/4s he put in the "Good" category have to be teetering on "Great." Getting 8/9 worth of stats for 6 mana is pretty insane.

rando14

Yeah I think I'd at least move it up to average.

Also all the 3/4s he put in the "Good" category have to be teetering on "Great." Getting 8/9 worth of stats for 6 mana is pretty insane.

Agreed

Fjola, Eydis, Unearthed raptor, Questing... I'd love for any of those to pop up for sure

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I totally understand the complaints about this card from Arena players. Mage's card set is so good already. This just adds to it by being common and (probably) showing up a good deal more because of that and the newest set bonus.

I am glad people here see the constructed argument. At 6 mana against cards like Thaurissan, Sylvannas, & co. you aren't picking this. This may become the king of arena cards, but I highly doubt it shows up much in constructed at all.

gutshot

All logic dictates he shouldn't, but with the way Hearthstone's timings often stack I wouldn't be shocked if you're right.

Interesting question at least.

I'm thinking he might because Mirror Entity procs when you kill a Mad Scientist with a Battlecry effect. Meaning the card isn't actually "played" until after its Battlecry resolves.

Apathy

I totally understand the complaints about this card from Arena players. Mage's card set is so good already. This just adds to it by being common and (probably) showing up a good deal more because of that and the newest set bonus.

I am glad people here see the constructed argument. At 6 mana against cards like Thaurissan, Sylvannas, & co. you aren't picking this. This may become the king of arena cards, but I highly doubt it shows up much in constructed at all.

I think most of us can tell what a good arena card vs what a good constructed card is.

I'm thinking he might because Mirror Entity procs when you kill a Mad Scientist with a Battlecry effect. Meaning the card isn't actually "played" until after its Battlecry resolves.

Yup that exact scenario got me wondering the same thing.

Also Kezan Mystic takes your secrets before she's actually played, right? I've never seen her snatch a secret that activates when a minion is played, so I don't know.

Top Bottom