• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been spamming Dragon Warrior for the past two weeks (people think Shaman or Hunter are braindead, try this ugly curvefest of a deck out) and there is no matchup more hilarious than Dragon Priest. They think they have a great start because they got to play a 2/3 on turn 1, only for you to play a 3/3 charge and instantly get ahead. And the disparity in finishing power is ridiculous - they probably have Rag, while you have Rag, Grom + activators, weapons and Execute for Taunts.

fertygo

Its no secret drag warrior is dumb

Outside blatant op card and highroll insanity.. aggro shaman does had basic fundamental to navigate it well

But eh doesnt matter play dumb you still won too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is a strange world we live in where I'm actually holding onto harrison versus a mage to kill the medivh weapon.

rickyson1

All of this negativity is really demoralizing, man I wish I into this game early.. in this state its feel playing game where the community not smiling anymore. That actually what can made me reduce my time around it despite I actually still enjoy the game, despite get rolled by RNG and aggro deck that everyone complain about, because I don't know better I'm not playing when game's better but, the negativity at the scene and streamer is what actually the most stressful thing to me.

Might as well do other thing that everyone around it not so down and break your own mood.

i've been playing this game off and on now since just before GVG came out

people are always upset about something

Levi

Banned
I'm very certain we're going to see at least one card change prior to Blizzcon--and it's going to be Yogg.

There may be other changes, but I think they'll probably wait until the next rotation to address more cards

I think they can change Yogg in such a way that the casual audience who loves the chaos will still have fun with that card (these are the same people you find on ladder putting Malchezaar in zoo).while giving the fans and players of competitive Hearthstone the feeling back that skill is a factor in tournament results.

Before, the RNG was such that we could argue that over a long enough sample size, the RNG evens out and the best players rise to the top. With Yogg, that's not longer the case. The best players can't do anything vs a Hail Mary Yogg that heavily favors their opponent. There's no skillful counterplay. I've seen people argue that it should be played around like a board clear, but who do you play around someone getting 100 mana worth of summoned minions and damaging spells and card draw in one turn? You cannot, not while playing to win the game.

I have to feel that Blizzard is seeing the discontent of their brand ambassadors (the pro players, the social media influencers, the tournament organizers and sponsors) and that even they can see how harmful Yogg is to the long term health of their game.

It was always a meme that Hearthstone is professional coin-flipping. It needs to go back to being a bad joke that assholes in Twitch chat spam and not a sad observation on the state of the competitive game.

Greddleok

Can someone explain to a long time lapsed hearthstone player how to get back into it.

There's now two play modes? Which one is the "right" one? I guess by right, which one should I be trying/building a deck for as a beginner?

joelseph

Can someone explain to a long time lapsed hearthstone player how to get back into it.

There's now two play modes? Which one is the "right" one? I guess by right, which one should I be trying/building a deck for as a beginner?

Standard. A decent Shaman deck is attainable without much luck or dust. I would go straight into ranked.

bjaelke

xPwxqQK.png

time to devour some mages

Been playing other people for the first time in a while due to the WoW: Legion launch. Have the new cards from Karazhan shaken things up a bit for the other decks, or is it all a bit "same old"?

Oh, and Aggro Shaman is still a cunt's deck, I see...

Dahbomb

Been playing other people for the first time in a while due to the WoW: Legion launch. Have the new cards from Karazhan shaken things up a bit for the other decks, or is it all a bit "same old"?

Oh, and Aggro Shaman is still a cunt's deck, I see...
Top decks are still top and have in fact gotten better. Hunter has gotten better so you see more of it as well as Beast Druid.

You see more spell centric and dragon decks around with the occasional meme decks.

Top decks right now:

Aggro Shaman: Broken deck made up of broken cards that got even better because it can now beat one of its few bad match ups Zoolock with cards like Spirit Claws and Maelstrom Portal.

Dragon Warrior: Top deck before, still top deck now mostly because it's the only bad match up that Aggro Shaman has now. Got the option to play Curator with Fierce Monkey for more value, late game card draw option but operates pretty much the same as before.

Token Druid: Got buffed significantly with Arcane Giants. Moongblade Portal is nice too especially since it buffs Raven Idol potential. Yogg just keeps getting better.

Midrange/Hybrid Hunter: Was tier 2 before but now even stronger with Kindly Grandmother and has option to play more secret heavy deck with Cloaked Huntress. Still operates mostly the same just with better early game which is a big deal as it means stronger Call of the Wild plays.

Tempo Mage: Got buffed because of Babbling Book and Firelands Portal. Very hard to play against this class now with all the random spells and card generation out of the ether. Also has the Yogg threat late game.

Zoolock: Got Imp of Malchazaar which means they run a few more discard cards now but it's basically just Zoo that is faster. Expect to see more Soulfires and Doomguards when playing against Zoo nowadays.

Beast Druid: At least tier 2 deck and about as good as Hunter decks. Has cheat potential with Innervate like all Druid with cheat potential if you hit Menagerie Warden on a decent target. Still is over shadowed by Token Druid because it doesn't contain the Yogg comeback factor.

Control decks am cry. Mostly because the aggression is too high or by the mid to late game some of these decks accumulate a lot of RNG advantage that make it difficult to play around. Then you run into the random dude who puts Prince Malchazaar in their aggressive Tempo Mage deck that is impossible to play around or control.

Barnes is seeing some play in Hunter, Tempo Mage and Rogue decks. Very threatening in Rogue because it can pull stuff like Questing Adventurer, Violet Teacher, Malygos, Emperor, Gadgetan etc. which has been enough to pull Rogue up a bit.

Doomsayer, frost Nova, medivh, alexstraza. No flamewaker, no early minions aside from valet and Thalnos, secrets.

I kind of want to tech in a counter spell just for the once in 100 games hitting cotw.

Gotcha.

You could easily use it every hunter game on turn 7 and you'd probably catch it.

Unless they run flare. Which I saw yesterday. Which was odd.

rahji

currently 7-0 with warlock in arena. No mage can stop me.

won against a mage who had 2 flamestrikes and I barely managed to beat him.

wiibomb

What does Kindly Grandmother replace in Midrange Hunter? Toad or Elekk?

Would Barnes replace an Infested Wolf as a 4-drop?

it would replace toad since it can basically do that same effect, but more controlled. Elekk is worth just because of card draw, which can get you a card and that alone is very worthy.

Barnes shouldn't replace IW since that card itself has a different value as it is a very sticky minion. also the beast synergy is important

gutshot

Changes coming to Arena: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20271286/

So what are some ways we can address Arena balance? Tools that we have available immediately involve removing cards from Arena completely—C'Thun-synergy cards and Purify are examples of this. We’d like to avoid removing strong spells and weapons from the Arena, because they add to a lot of the unpredictability and excitement surrounding the possibilities outside the current board state. We’d also like to avoid removing iconic cards, since they are generally versatile and familiar tools to veteran and new Arena players alike. Additionally, we can remove lower-performing cards in order to make room for a class’ more commonly utilized cards to show up more often in your Arena draft.

With those things in mind, we will be removing the following cards from the Arena draft in an upcoming patch:

Mage
Forgotten Torch
Snowchugger
Faceless Summoner

Rogue
Goblin Auto Barber
Undercity Valiant

Paladin
- No changes

Shaman
Vitality Totem
Dust Devil
Totemic Might
Ancestral Healing
Dunemaul Shaman
Windspeaker

Warlock
Anima Golem
Sacrificial Pact
Curse of Rafaam
Sense Demons
Void Crusher
Reliquary Seeker
Succubus

Druid
Savagery
Poison Seeds
Soul of the Forest
Mark of Nature
Tree of Life
Astral Communion

Warrior
Warsong Commander
Bolster
Charge
Bouncing Blade
Axe Flinger
Rampage
Ogre Warmaul

Hunter
Starving Buzzard
Call Pet
Timber Wolf
Cobra Shot
Lock and Load
Dart Trap
Snipe

Priest
Mind Blast
Shadowbomber
Lightwell
Power Word: Glory
Confuse
Convert
Inner Fire

sibarraz

Banned
Those Arena changes are interesting, I wonder if they will help improve arena

btw, a new ccg was released today on steam, is called star crusade, is Hearthstone IN SPACE

Is a little buggy right now, and the ui is clunky, but I have to admit that some mechanics are interesting, for one, you can have 3 hero powers per commander, which you can select, some of them use mana/currency, while the other uses another kind of mana which you gain each time that you attack the opposing commander (1+) or equal to the cost of an enemy creature. Also some commanders have other some of currency according to the type, so in that sense diferentiate a lot from HS

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I expect Kripp to bitch about these changes...

I don't see these changes being all that significant. I thought Arena might have needed a kind of an overhaul instead of just a patch to remove cards.
From what i understood, they're working on having the ability to alter the drop rates of all cards.
This is just the first step for "making Arena Great"

wiibomb

I don't see these changes being all that significant. I thought Arena might have needed a kind of an overhaul instead of just a patch to remove cards.

Pooya

that's not that big of a nerf to mage. Can you still get torch from other means though for example? I think they should have hit spell generator cards for one.

Mark of Nature is actually ok, I'm not sure why they removed that among those other really awful cards.

Seems like a band aid short term solution overall.

Ladekabel

What if they made Arena's card pool change every week or so? Like One week you get the cards from TGT, Classic and Naxx and another week you'll get cards from GvG, WotG and LoE. Would that do something?

bjaelke

What if they made Arena's card pool change every week or so? Like One week you get the cards from TGT, Classic and Naxx and another week you'll get cards from GvG, WotG and LoE. Would that do something?

I'll just draft a deck during the GVG week and save it for later to faceroll some TGT plebs.

I would sooner replace elekk. The potential to trade directly with totem golem with hungry toad is so good.

it would replace toad since it can basically do that same effect, but more controlled. Elekk is worth just because of card draw, which can get you a card and that alone is very worthy.

Barnes shouldn't replace IW since that card itself has a different value as it is a very sticky minion. also the beast synergy is important

Darn, contradicting answers haha.

inky

Not sure what to think about these changes.

No Undercity Valiant is the best news of the bunch I think (as far s strong classes go).

JesseZao

I like the idea of "overdrafting" maybe 3-5 cards and then allow you to cut down to 30. It lets you take more chances with your draft or cut synergies that didn't pan out. Any more than a few extra would be a bad idea.

As for the bans:

While I think these could make arena fresh, I don't think they can just do something like this every few months. I want something of a themed arena or even have various non-collectible cards included in some way.

I think the biggest issue is they don't like changing their UI, so they are super conservative with big ideas/changes.

Faceless summoner is a strong card and undercity valiant and goblin auto barber are pretty strong minions in the early game so maybe this will reduce the swings that I see a lot in arena.

Levi

Banned
This is step one of their process to balance arena.

I look forward to hearing what the next step is.

I'm still not gonna play arena unless that overhaul includes meaningful rewards (such as credit towards a golden hero).

Pooya

I'd have them keep the summoner but remove the portal. Removal and minion in one card is far stronger than the summoner.

I don't like this process of banning cards for Arena. It's my preferred mode of play and it's in dire need of fixing, but I just don't feel like this is the right way. Well, SOME cards could be banned but this feels like too much. I don't miss Purify, I won't miss Savagery, but I think that's the level of bad that they should consider banning. And secrets?? Guess I never have to play around Snipe.

Maybe whenever they introduce their draft weighting system they will unban cards.

Blizzard Pls.

Wonder why they didn't tweak the Paladin arena card pool.

I don't like this idea of "balance" by singling out cards to ban from Arena.
It seems clunky and hard to communicate outside of patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom