• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My apologies to anybody playing Control Warrior in this meta. I tried it, and shit's tough.

Warrior could really use a midrange weapon like Death's Bite again.

Kettch

My apologies to anybody playing Control Warrior in this meta. I tried it, and shit's tough.

Warrior could really use a midrange weapon like Death's Bite again.

Fool's Bane is actually pretty good right now. It's basically required to be competitive with Shaman, no other good way to clear out their 3 health crap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like Mavenfall and Shadowverse the most out of other TCGs.

I talked about that Wild Nzoth Rogue deck a while back. Instant win against Control decks.

I want to try Shadowverse more. I mainly have to use an emulator since HS is such a god damn storage hog on my phone.

patchday

I want to try Shadowverse more. I mainly have to use an emulator since HS is such a god damn storage hog on my phone.

you should get a nexus 6p (64gb). Although I primarily play on my PC I sometimes play on my phone too

Shadowverse looks coo. I like how the hero portraits are fully animated and its anime style. I dont play but I've watched vids of it

Dahbomb

Kripp getting annhialated in Arena right now with a good Mage deck (after picking Mage like 8 times in a row... aka part of the problem).

About to go 1-3 the dream. Got crushed by on curve Dr Balanced at turn 7... AYYY LMAO!!!!

Picked Mage again like a scumbag.

Agree with reconnect being awful

Have lost multiple games to it
It should add another minute if your connection drops. Just once per game.

Pulled Jaraxxus. It's nice but not really what I'm looking for right now.
I got it from the Welcome pack, and I was so excited. Then I realized how bad it is in this meta. :( Freeze Mage is how Dahbomb convinced me to pick this game up. Handlock was another great interest of mine. I would say RIP, but Tempo Mage is very enjoyable and even more BS than Freeze Mage, lol.

On a side note, I've only lost one Duelyst game in the last 2 days. :-D Almost S-Rank for the month.

I feel like blizzard keeps missing the mark with secrets. They should be something you deliberately play and deliberately play around. Like well timed secrets include forethought or great... timing. I mean, that is how I think secrets work best, when you time it well and you land that great value because your opponent either couldn't play around it or made the wrong risk. And it should be feel somewhat deliberate, even when you just play the card because you're filling your curve.

But then they added mad scientist which kind of flies in the face of all that. I don't mind that mad scientist was particularly powerful, I hated how the RNG kind of cuts now in the deliberateness of secrets.

Now they have cloaked huntress, which promotes just vomiting secrets out almost without care because you're playing a ton of cards. Again, it cuts out the deliberateness of the secrets, of playing cards in general, but particularly I feel secrets should be deliberate.

That is just how I feel about secrets. They're great because they provide opportunities to play around things, to guess or take risks surrounding what those secrets are. But when there is no methodology because you just vomit free cards... kind of defeats the purpose.

Dahbomb

They keep missing the mark because they don't know what to do with them.

Secrets are always going to be slow and low tempo while having the ability to be played around. Them being restricted to specific costs constricts their design space so they can't be too powerful either. Ice Block is probably the most secret in the game and you would honestly play that card in Freeze Mage even for 5 mana.

I am not sure how they can actually fix it. Their idea is to just add more secret synergy cards which is lazy design.

What if your could disable/enable secrets during your own turn, but your opponent didn't know if they were on? That would be pretty strategic. Dahbomb, wouldn't that be kind of like trap cards in YGO, but non-reactive?

Good Yogg against shaymen is well come doe

Its the change of text they should done tbh

10 mana 7/5 "battlecry: fuckshit an shaman"
I want the text to read exactly like that, lol.

I feel like blizzard keeps missing the mark with secrets. They should be something you deliberately play and deliberately play around. Like well timed secrets include forethought or great... timing. I mean, that is how I think secrets work best, when you time it well and you land that great value because your opponent either couldn't play around it or made the wrong risk. And it should be feel somewhat deliberate, even when you just play the card because you're filling your curve.

But then they added mad scientist which kind of flies in the face of all that. I don't mind that mad scientist was particularly powerful, I hated how the RNG kind of cuts now in the deliberateness of secrets.

Now they have cloaked huntress, which promotes just vomiting secrets out almost without care because you're playing a ton of cards. Again, it cuts out the deliberateness of the secrets, of playing cards in general, but particularly I feel secrets should be deliberate.

That is just how I feel about secrets. They're great because they provide opportunities to play around things, to guess or take risks surrounding what those secrets are. But when there is no methodology because you just vomit free cards... kind of defeats the purpose.
I think you have a really good point. The most frustrating experiences I have against secrets are:
1) When a Hunter plays a secret while I have one big bulky minion out. I can't risk the Freezing Trap, so I have to wait 2 full turns (or more) before attacking so I don't eat a huge tempo loss.

2) Grinder Mage using Duplicate on...pretty much anything in their deck, lol. The sadness when you have to fight through 3 Reno Jacksons, or 5+ Molten Giants. :( I don't know why this deck wasn't ever popular, because I don't think I've ever beaten a Grinder Mage player.

Dahbomb

Duplicate should've been a classic secret Mage spell to be honest.

I don't know why this deck wasn't ever popular, because I don't think I've ever beaten a Grinder Mage player.
I think now you can probably use Arcane Giants which probably makes that deck better than what it was before. Before people would just copy Belchers with it.

It wasn't popular because it was slow. Did not deal well with deathrattle minions and could get countered by anti secret tech. You could probably beat other control decks with it but it struggled against stuff like Hunters and Secret Paladin (aka the god) or combo decks. You also were not going to beat a Handlock player with that deck because it had no good response to Jaraxxus.

Duplicate is strong but if you force them to trade on their turn, it can be an effect that is mitigated heavily. Cause the aim is that eventually they'll have to trade or they'll have to play something weaker to get duplicate on.

I get why they keep trying to make secrets stronger. It's a great mechanic. But if cloaked huntress was make secrets cost 1, instead of 0, it would be.... so much better from a gameplay perspective, not even looking at balance.

edit:
As for grinder mage being popular or not, it actually had been popular at several times throughout hearthstone. I remember around GVG era when mech mage was popular, because I remember running into so many mages running up ladder but some of them were actually fatigue mage. Also towards the end of LOE, right before WOG came out there was a surge of usage because it was something different and a couple streamers were playing fatigue decks.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
mid hunter get farmed all day at various recent tourney lmao

Mid hunter players been playing too much Wild and forgot that they don't have Mad Scientist and Shredder to fill out their godly curve, lol.

I have found hunter to be pretty underwhelming in standard these days even with the Shaman and Yogg nerfs. Though sadly the Yogg nerf made the most hilarious Hunter deck (Yogg'N'Load) completely trash tier now. That was an example of a yogg deck that you can't complain about losing to because you know they lost 4 other games to get that one good one. But man that one good one is soooooo good.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
As one of those people that stopped playing Hearthstone so much almost specifically because of Priests (they're literally the anti-fun), you'd never guess what I've found new fun in after a couple of months away.

Revive Priest.

There's little better than playing a N'zoth that pumps out 5 Cairnes or Sylvannas. There's also the other super fun part. Where you're opponent knows they've lost and they just play Tirion as a last ditch effort even if they know you're only used one Entomb. Then they quit immediately after it's taken.

I've found fun in making other people feel just as shitty as I've felt every time I've played Priest for the last two years.

How does a Control Warrior win these days anyway?

Dahbomb

Nzoth Rogue tier 2?

Yeeeaaaa.... I don't know about that one.

The rest is completely unsurprising if you have been paying attention to high ranked Ladder and tournaments.

Next Wild tier list will be released in a week, I am actually surprised it's coming that soon. Though Secret Paladin is even more the #1 deck in that format given the nerfs that happened to its competition (Grim Patron nerfed because of Execute, Zoolock nerfed because of Abusive, Hunter nerfed due to CotW).

Nzoth Rogue tier 2?

Yeeeaaaa.... I don't know about that one.

The rest is completely unsurprising if you have been paying attention to high ranked Ladder and tournaments.

Next Wild tier list will be released in a week, I am actually surprised it's coming that soon. Though Secret Paladin is even more the #1 deck in that format given the nerfs that happened to its competition (Grim Patron nerfed because of Execute, Zoolock nerfed because of Abusive, Hunter nerfed due to CotW).
Until now, I didn't even care about the Execute nerf. :-/

Also, Midrange Shaman is crazy good in Wild. You just can't keep up with all the totems.

jgminto

To be fair, Evolved Kobold is only good in these Aggro Freeze decks that are looking to continuously pump out burn unlike the more traditional Freeze Mages that we are used to. You wouldn't play Kobold in a deck that is trying to stall to the classic heavy hitters like Alex, Pyro and Antonidas since any game you're going to win shouldn't need more than 20 total burn in a turn.

To be fair, Evolved Kobold is only good in these Aggro Freeze decks that are looking to continuously pump out burn unlike the more traditional Freeze Mages that we are used to. You wouldn't play Kobold in a deck that is trying to stall to the classic heavy hitters like Alex, Pyro and Antonidas since any game you're going to win shouldn't need more than 20 total burn in a turn.

I've had it work really well for me actually. mainly because the kobold makes 2 fireballs do more than 16 damage after Alex so if I have my hand developing with ice lances but no frostbolts or something similar i can use them as stall tools instead of reserving them for damage.

At the end of the day.....Laughing=best freeze mage and his list is the one to use.

wiibomb

true despair in arena is seeing my opponent mage play 3 flamestrikes...

even worse when my warlock deck was based on tempo, it killed me so good with those

Greddleok

I have the dreaded watch a friend win quest. Anyone here play regularly that I could watch?

Griddlelol#1349 is my battlement ID

EU I guess.

wiibomb

I have the dreaded watch a friend win quest. Anyone here play regularly that I could watch?

Griddlelol is my battlenet ID

you need to write the full ID, with the # included and all.

also, the server, because they are separated as far as I know. if you are in US I can help you

bjaelke

Evolved Kobold isn't something new. If anything it's making a comeback in the Freeze Mage decks. Ostkaka and others have run it before with great success. Still doesn't make the deck easier to pilot than a face hunter.

Griddlelol is my battlenet ID
You need to provide a server name and the number (#XXXX) after your name.

Dahbomb

Thijs keep insìsting Kobold is bad in freeze mage.. man dude say a lot dumb thing recently
It probably is to be honest. A lot of the times it's a dead card and usually when you use it to kill, it's just overkill anyway. Probably need to examine some stats on it but the card hasn't exactly blown me away with its ability. Will definitely be completely unusable when Emperor rotates out and you can't cheat combo with it.

wiibomb

So I see the opinion on Yogg is still pretty positive as far as the nerfed cards go.

Hunter seems to have melted under Call of The Wild though.

Are Execute and Yogg the only nerfed cards still being used in higher end decks?

rockbiter isn't still used?

So what ended up happening with the Arena changes? Any major shifts in tiers? I'm pretty confident that Mage is still number 1, but did the changes help the other classes compete against, say, rogue or Pally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom