• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TFW Magma Rager is actually the correct pick in your arena draft.

1. Magma Rager
2. Warsong Commander
3. Bolster

jgminto

It has seriously been at least 20 games with my tempo mage since I've gotten to play Yogg. Maybe 30.
I feel like I play Yogg most games that I'm not winning. The list I use runs a bunch of card draw to cycle through my deck quickly. Arcane Intellects, Acolytes of Pain, Azure Drakes and Bloodmage Thalnos, I can outdraw Zoolock at times.

Levi

Banned
Ok cool, I'll give those a shot.

This is what I've been using:

I don't think Ram Wrangler is a good card, I'd cut that. You also have one-ofs of some of the more important cards, that cuts down your consistency. You want a second Kill command and Elek for sure. There's no world where running only one Kill Command is correct.

I'd cut Ram Wrangler for sure, and maybe Kodo and one of the Houndmasters.

I'd throw in a second Kill Command and Elek. If you're getting good value off the traps, keep them, but if you aren't, consider switching them for abusive sergeants.

Carrion Grub is kind of slow--good if you run double Houndmaster but if you end up cutting one, you probably also want to cut the grub. If you want to run double Houndmaster, you should probably also run 2x Grubs so you can more reliably take advantage of that synergy.

When building a deck, keep track of when a card is dead in your hand. Think of the card you wish you had instead, and if that happens a lot, swap those cards.

There's lots of variations in Midrange Hunter, so mess around with it. There's no penalty for deranking, and don't expect to win much at the beginning of next season as that is when all the tryhards start grinding ladder, so just relax and instead of worrying about winning, just try to refine the deck to match your playstyle and try to notice when you make mistakes so you can correct them.

Why does the entire deck have to be defined by discarding?
That's how decks get named.

Face Hunter = a deck focused on going face over maintaining board.
Murloc Paladin = a deck focused on winning through Anyfin Can Happen + Murlocs
Handlock = a deck focused on winning through cards that synergize with maintaining a large hand

Thus, Discardlock = a deck focused on winning through discard mechanics. You wouldn't call any of the above decks by their names if they just had a few charge minions, murlocs, and "hand" cards, respectively.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's how decks get named.

Face Hunter = a deck focused on going face over maintaining board.
Murloc Paladin = a deck focused on winning through Anyfin Can Happen + Murlocs
Handlock = a deck focused on winning through cards that synergize with maintaining a large hand

Thus, Discardlock = a deck focused on winning through discard mechanics. You wouldn't call any of the above decks by their names if they just had a few charge minions, murlocs, and "hand" cards, respectively.

But including this card doesn't mean they're trying to force "discardlock" to be a thing.

Dahbomb

They have been trying to make Discard Lock a thing since TGT.

*Dark Bargain
*Tiny Knight of Evil
*Fist of Jaraxxus
*Darkshire Librarian
*New 1 drop (which is the biggest discard enabler yet)

Combining current Succubus, Soulfire and Wrathguard, that's more than half a deck right there of discard based cards.

Blizzard is not going to stop until this is a real deck. And that means that if by the time the new expansion comes out and there isn't a Discard Lock deck then we will have a Mysterious Challenger tier card that makes the deck tier 0.

"Wrath of Jaraxxus: Deal 4 damage to the enemy hero for every card discarded this game"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah but the new card can be a nice little bonus that synergizes with a few cards that zoo already plays and maybe introduces librarian into play.

But including this card doesn't mean they're trying to force "discardlock" to be a thing.
Yes, it does. You wouldn't include a 1/3 with discard synergy over Warlock's NUMEROUS other strong 1-drop options unless you were trying to play a discard-oriented deck.

Yeah but the new card can be a nice little bonus that synergizes with a few cards that zoo already plays and maybe introduces librarian into play.
Zoo aims to use Doomguard and Soulfire on an empty hand. It isn't trying to discard, it plays around the negative. It has no desire to use this card. It won't see play in Zoo.

Levi

Banned
If you put discard synergy in Zoo, guess what, it's still zoo.

We don't call midrange hunter "beast hunter", even though there's tons of beast synergy in that deck.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
C'thun Warrior let me build up a 9/3 mana wyrm. Had Yogg in hand for the next turn but i had exact lethal :(

Should have yogged.

Dahbomb

We don't call midrange hunter "beast hunter", even though there's tons of beast synergy in that deck.
Some people call it Midrange Beast Hunter.

Though like every single Hunter minion is a beast anyway (or enables Beast synergy).

ZealousD

Ok cool, I'll give those a shot.

This is what I've been using:

Dire Wolf Alpha is somewhat poor in Hunter. It's only really good when you have two other minions on board. It's a great card but better in something like Zoolock. You'd probably be better served cutting them and then subbing in a single copy of some other 2 mana beast, like Bloodfen Raptor or River Croc. Then maybe you can grab a second Kill Command.

Ram Wrangler is overrated. You'll be better served with another Stampeding Kodo or a Stranglethorn Tiger.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
TFW Magma Rager is actually the correct pick in your arena draft.

1. Magma Rager
2. Warsong Commander
3. Bolster

Is it though, with everyone playing Rogue and Mage and can kill it with their hero power easy?

Tough choice.

NBtoaster

Yes, it does. You wouldn't include a 1/3 with discard synergy over Warlock's NUMEROUS other strong 1-drop options unless you were trying to play a discard-oriented deck.

Replacing a 1-drop wont define the deck. You can easily look to run it over Argent Squire.

Zoo aims to use Doomguard and Soulfire on an empty hand. It isn't trying to discard, it plays around the negative. It has no desire to use this card. It won't see play in Zoo.

But this card means you're not sad if you have to use it with a large hand . More flexibility is always good.

ZealousD

Is it though, with everyone playing Rogue and Mage and can kill it with their hero power easy?

Tough choice.

I had zero chargers for Warsong Commander and zero taunts for Bolster. And there are times where a Rogue or Druid might not want to take the face damage. I had one game where a Druid had to use a Druid of the Saber in charge form to kill the Magma Rager because they really didn't want to take the damage. But yeah the HearthArena tier scores at the time were like 15 vs 12 v 8.

What a weird title. I would have gone with |OT7| What Happens in Karazhan, Stays in Karazhan

Yes but if you have the option to exchange a card for another in your deck, while making massive tempo gains in the process... it might even be better to discard and draw rather than not discard and not draw.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I got to play Yogg! Hooray! And it went pretty well! Hooray!

It vanished itself back into my hand, but he was at 10 and i had a pyroblast in hand. So i took auto lethal. No wonder Yogg sometimes forsakes me. I put myself ahead of praising him. I'm selfish.

It was a game against a concede shaman. Pretty fun matchup. I think he drew pretty poorly though.

patchday

Wow this new build I posted back a page is doing well. On a winning streak and ranked up :)

Keep seeing lots of priests. So now I'm being careful and sort of playing the long game with them

I got to play Yogg! Hooray! And it went pretty well! Hooray!

It vanished itself back into my hand, but he was at 10 and i had a pyroblast in hand. So i took auto lethal. No wonder Yogg sometimes forsakes me. I put myself ahead of praising him. I'm selfish.

It was a game against a concede shaman. Pretty fun matchup. I think he drew pretty poorly though.

Interesting this priest I had to face to enter rank 15 played Yogg. Luckily it didnt do much. Pretty much affected both parties equally

It won't be zoo if you put significant discard synergy in it.

Yes, people do say "Beast Hunter", and it was said a lot when OG first dropped. Then the nomenclature changed be less specific because it turns out there is no other kind of midrange hunter except for Beast Hunter, and we were being redundant.

You're now making up an archetype and defining it before the card is even out. See what levi said. No one cares about a deck themed for discards.
Exactly.

Replacing a 1-drop wont define the deck. You can easily look to run it over Argent Squire.
No, of course not. But you wouldn't run this without more discard synergy, either.

But this card means you're not sad if you have to use it with a large hand . More flexibility is always good.
You will always be sad because every discard in this game is random, and it sucks when you toss away your win condition.

What a weird title. I would have gone with |OT7| What Happens in Karazhan, Stays in Karazhan
Yeah, the new thread title is extremely bad...

Yes but if you have the option to exchange a card for another in your deck, while making massive tempo gains in the process... it might even be better to discard and draw rather than not discard and not draw.
Like Dahbomb said, it won't be a thing unless we get an MC-tier card.

ZealousD

It's a song! And a great one!
rage.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

LOL hunter... so transparent. Spams board hoping to get extra damage off cotw. It's going to be turn 7 with him having coin. So I play tomb pillager which he removes with face + some ping. Plays COTW with coin (so transparent). I have coin + malygos + prep + fan of knives. I even had a second fan of knives if he did it again. But I had lethal with shiv + sinister strike (top decked an eviscerate too). Absolutely destroyed.

67b.jpg

LOL hunter... so transparent. Spams board hoping to get extra damage off cotw. It's going to be turn 7 with him having coin. So I play tomb pillager which he removes with face + some ping. Plays COTW with coin (so transparent). I have coin + malygos + prep + fan of knives. I even had a second fan of knives if he did it again. But I had lethal with shiv + sinister strike (top decked an eviscerate too). Absolutely destroyed.

Hearthstone, Wombo Combos of Warcraft.

Gonna finish the season at rank 16 or so. I usually push to 10 but not feeling it this month. Excited for Kharazan though!

squidyj

zoo plays exactly that way because it doesn't have access to this mechanic. It might be worth it for a zoo player to play this then soulfire and throw away a poor card in hopes of drawing something more relevant, ie lethal. 3 draws to lethal off of some sort of soulfire combo. I expect it will be experimented with in zoo decks although it might not be quite good enough to finally make the cut.

Imagine this soulfire + some form of damage is lethal, ie abusive or PO or something, you tap and you don't find it, drop this card and soulfire discarding another card from your hand and giving you another opportunity to find that lethal.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I played a bunch of discardlock after tiny knight of evil came out (decklist). Got me from like rank 18 to 15. Then standard turned it into a rank 20 deck because it lost the classic face cards of Leper Gnome and Ironbeak Owl, and lost the active damage of Darkbomb and Implosion to keep the minions alive to do repeated damage.

So them adding a bunch of draw mechanics for their synergy is not the direction i expected it to take. At this point it does seem like the expectation is to make a zoo deck but with a few discard synergy cards that are only played when the actual card advantage aspect is canceled out, which is a weird direction for them to take it.

You can't just live with giving away your card advantage unless you're super aggro, and warlock really does not have the tools to go super aggro now more than ever, so any discard cards you do add almost has to be done with the expectation that you'll have this new minion in play.

ZealousD

I think I just figured out the most disgusting combo with Barnes.

Aviana.

Pooya

You won't want to play Darkshire Liberian in a discard deck, it's a just 3/2. The card would only makes sense if it's hitting fist which is not a good game plan. You should just play a minion with better stats, that card is just bad. You don't want to discard cards just for the sake of discarding right now, you want to gain tempo by discarding which this card is quite awful for it.

patchday

I had a gold darkshire librarian that I dusted pretty quick like

(btw I think I know how you vets feel. Opened two packs today. Nothing but extra dust and not even that much dust. Been that way for past couple weeks really)

ZealousD

So I figured out two possibilities for The Curator that people seem to be overlooking.

1. Dragon Warrior. If you tech in Fierce Monkey and Sir Finley. Putting more stuff in your hand in a tempo deck is pretty good and you don't have to sacrifice too much.

2. Even drawing one card might not be too bad if it's your win condition. A Malygos Rogue might throw in The Curator as a guaranteed Malygos draw and then going crazy with Gadgetzan Auctioneer is less important.

You won't want to play Darkshire Liberian in a discard deck, it's a just 3/2.

If you play it with the new imp then it bcomes a 3/2 that draws a card, which is very powerful.

So I'm messing around in wild atm with a divine shield focused paladin deck. And I have this awesome board against tempo mage. I got 2 dragon egg things, steward of darkshire with divine shield, noble sac up, his board empty, 6 minions total. All he has done so far is play 2 of those 3 drops that give random spells. One of the random spells happens to be shadowword horror... I still won the game but that was disgusting rng. He cleared the whole board except darkshire.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I'm messing around in wild atm with a divine shield focused paladin deck. And I have this awesome board against tempo mage. I got 2 dragon egg things, steward of darkshire with divine shield, noble sac up, his board empty, 6 minions total. All he has done so far is play 2 of those 3 drops that give random spells. One of the random spells happens to be shadowword horror... I still won the game but that was disgusting rng. He cleared the whole board except darkshire.

I mean, you gotta play around shadow word horror when you're playing against a mage. That's just on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom