• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
Unless they've changed how Reno works, if you're a Reno Priest who gets the 10 armor spell from Kazakus then you can live through Auchenai Reno since Reno only "heals" 30 HP.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Control decks can put others on a clock, but Control vs. Control shouldn't be about the clock, it should be about resource management. For example, in Priest vs. Anyfin Paladin, the match isn't about Anyfin Paladin putting the Priest on a clock. It's about the Priest trying to counter the Murlocs so that the Paladin can no longer win with Anyfin, and the Paladin is trying to ensure the Priest has to use its preferred removal on other cards as well.

Uh, Paladin can just throw its warleaders into the fire when it clears with pyro+equality to guarantee that the murlocs die. I don't see how Priest ever wins that matchup unless the Paladin is not aware that their warleaders can get entombed.

Reno Priest, or Reno Shadowpriest? You only really Reno Priest if you're going Shadowform. Otherwise there are too many cards you would rather have 2x of for consistency and excellence.
Reno Shadowpriest. Gonna keep playing and tweaking but it doesnt seem too good against other new decks. Dragon Priest is definitely better with the new 5/6 though.

Uh, Paladin can just throw its warleaders into the fire when it clears with pyro+equality to guarantee that the murlocs die. I don't see how Priest ever wins that matchup unless the Paladin is not aware that their warleaders can get entombed.
This is correct, you never win if the Paladin knows what he's doing.

Secret hunter still works just fine for me in casual and on ladder, all I've added is one of the new hunter secret. As someone else said though eventually you can complete things through the tavern brawl if your can accept that it will take some time.

Won the last 2 matches with Secret Hunter... damn, that was harder than it should've been.

Then, for the Jade Lotus quest, I made a Jade Golem Rogue deck and first match I steamrollered a Shaman playing without any new cards. Weird.

Mulgrok

Having fun with a secret paladin deck that runs double small time recruits. I consistently thin my deck by 9-12 cards by turn 7, because escape kodo usually lands on mysterious challenger. Vomiting a hand full of buffed 1's feels kind of dirty though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Having fun with a secret paladin deck that runs double small time recruits. I consistently thin my deck by 9-12 cards by turn 7, because escape kodo usually lands on mysterious challenger. Vomiting a hand full of buffed 1's feels kind of dirty though.

Are you not running noble sacrifice? Or are they just constantly using spell removal on MC?

sibarraz

Banned
I won a match with reno mage against a pirate warrior who left me at 2 points of life.

I played 2 kazakus thanks to that epic card that creates a copy of a card in your deck, so I got 15 armor, and also draw alextrasa to heal myself.

Still, the deck is very strong, is a pain in the ass to play with it

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I saw a mage do a cute combo of Brann -> Kazakus -> Manic Soulcaster on the Kaz for two more.

...he died due to an inactive reno from not drawing one of them, but still.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a good Jade Druid deck they're working with?

I keep seeing people talk about how good they are with it but I keep getting wafflestomped with the deck from the game's deck builder.

I suppose it depends on the Priest's deck, but isn't the flip side that the Priest can pressure the Paladin enough that he has to blow Pyromancer+Equality on the Priest's board? It can take a while for the Paladin to get a 3-card combo.

If I'm wrong on this, then I'm fine with accepting that. Though I wonder if Anyfin Paladin counts more as a control deck or a combo deck. It feels more like Freeze Mage than Control Priest or Control Warrior in how it plays.

Reno Shadowpriest. Gonna keep playing and tweaking but it doesnt seem too good against other new decks. Dragon Priest is definitely better with the new 5/6 though.

This is correct, you never win if the Paladin knows what he's doing.
Kibler was making Reno Shadowpriest work pre-expansion, so I have to think it can work now that it has two more great cards to utilize.

f0lken

Minion Snowballadin

Surprised how inconsistent Snowballadin is, and I'm not sure what to do to make it more consistent.

I think is too high cost, I also tried Rag and Shoggoth to no success, I am using this right now and having far more success with it (currently 8-2 with it but around 15-16 ladder level)

Dbylybp.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm curious to see what a more stable renolock list looks like now. I find it having SO MUCH incidental damage now, the board clears actually kill you really fast, but I find my opponents being in the low teens a lot of times without me even really attacking them so after I reno stabilize they're already nearly dead. I feel like there's something strong there.

I forget who posted their Reno Shadowpriest list and said they're having a lot of success, but I saw Dirty Rat in the list - is that really not causing problems for you?

I'm curious to see what a more stable renolock list looks like now. I find it having SO MUCH incidental damage now, the board clears actually kill you really fast, but I find my opponents being in the low teens a lot of times without me even really attacking them so after I reno stabilize they're already nearly dead. I feel like there's something strong there.
The Fel potion has actually won me quite a few games by doing 5 damage to my opponent. I share your sentiment.

The 4 packs from the 2 quest rewards (haven't done the Kabal one yet) have netted me Patches and Don Han'cho, which ain't bad. Are they "loaded" to give you a a Legendary or two to start out with? Seems a little too lucky for me to get 2 so close to each other.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I forget who posted their Reno Shadowpriest list and said they're having a lot of success, but I saw Dirty Rat in the list - is that really not causing problems for you?

The Fel potion has actually won me quite a few games by doing 5 damage to my opponent. I share your sentiment.

I've been running it on a trial basis in a Reno Shadowpriest i've been doing well with. All I can say is too early to say on that card, but it does need a lot of bravery to play it turn 2. I'm waiting for more chances to test it out turn 2 vs aggro.

Mostly I've just used it to pull out something to remove when I have nothing to do but remove stuff. I would not run it just for that, though.

I think is too high cost, I also tried Rag and Shoggoth to no success, I am using this right now and having far more success with it (currently 8-2 with it but around 15-16 ladder level)

Yeah, maybe. I'll try a version with small time recruits.

ZealousD

I suppose it depends on the Priest's deck, but isn't the flip side that the Priest can pressure the Paladin enough that he has to blow Pyromancer+Equality on the Priest's board? It can take a while for the Paladin to get a 3-card combo.

Control Priest has barely any pressure in the early game and Paladin can mitigate most late game threats with Aldor and Equality. Dragon Priest has more pressure but prior to Drakonid Operative still mostly tickled in the early game (its threats are anti-aggro, not face pressure) and then whimpered out in the mid-game. So not much pressure there either. Drakonid Operative may improve that matchup some.

Ladekabel

Replaced Power of the Wild with Mark of the Lotus in my Token Druid. Tried to squeeze in a Jade Idol because it seems to be all the rage. Turn 1 two 2/2's is pretty good. One stayed until turn 7.

The 4 packs from the 2 quest rewards (haven't done the Kabal one yet) have netted me Patches and Don Han'cho, which ain't bad. Are they "loaded" to give you a a Legendary or two to start out with? Seems a little too lucky for me to get 2 so close to each other.

I didn't get my first legendary until around pack 30, so no I don't think so. You just won the dice rolls.

You know what I never see anymore? Ysera.

Control Priest has barely any pressure in the early game and Paladin can mitigate most late game threats with Aldor and Equality. Dragon Priest has more pressure but prior to Drakonid Operative still mostly tickled in the early game (its threats are anti-aggro, not face pressure) and then whimpered out in the mid-game. So not much pressure there either. Drakonid Operative may improve that matchup some.
Hmm. I guess I'm coming at this more from my N'Zoth Priest experiences, then, where I would have to do my best to force out Anyfin Paladin removal through cards like Piloted Shredder. But maybe that's more of an indication that traditional Control Priest is a poorly built deck in a modern meta?

ZealousD

Hmm. I guess I'm coming at this more from my N'Zoth Priest experiences, then, where I would have to do my best to force out Anyfin Paladin removal through cards like Piloted Shredder. But maybe that's more of an indication that traditional Control Priest is a poorly built deck in a modern meta?

Piloted Shredder is an actual mid-game threat, which Priest doesn't have available in standard. The closest option here is Shifting Shade which is more about card advantage than a beefy and sticky threat. Standard Priest is not sticky nor beefy, unless you're playing Resurrect Priest and get the nuts.

Referencing pre-MSG decks here, btw. Again, Drakonid Operative may actually improve a ton of matchups for Dragon Priest.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Fight Promoter seems pretty solid in handbuff decks. It can take a little while to buff it up twice, but it's incredibly good when you do, and sometimes you have a random minion that has been buffed a bunch that you can use to trigger Fight Promoter instead.

Not sure if it's as good in faster decks with a bunch of low cost minions.

Kibler was making Reno Shadowpriest work pre-expansion, so I have to think it can work now that it has two more great cards to utilize.
Yeah, I know. I'm just off to a salty start with the new cards so far. I got the Priest legendary so was excited to Reno it up and then hit a wall of much better decks. I like Kibler a lot so I'm eager to see what he comes up with for the new cards.

edit: Ack, double post.

Why isn't Wrathion a dragon? The flavor text answers that:

"Wrathion, son of Deathwing, is a dragon. Why isn't he tagged as a dragon, you ask? WHAT, ARE YOU TRYING TO BLOW HIS COVER??"

Fight Promoter seems pretty solid in handbuff decks. It can take a little while to buff it up twice, but it's incredibly good when you do, and sometimes you have a random minion that has been buffed a bunch that you can use to trigger Fight Promoter instead.

Not sure if it's as good in faster decks with a bunch of low cost minions.

Maybe it's better than ivory knight. That's sort of a filler card anyway although I have gotten an extra smuggler's run off it which was pretty good.

The paladin legend seems like a no brainer though. Almost like a mini-tirion minus the ashbringer.

Yeah, I know. I'm just off to a salty start with the new cards so far. I got the Priest legendary so was excited to Reno it up and then hit a wall of much better decks. I like Kibler a lot so I'm eager to see what he comes up with for the new cards.

edit: Ack, double post.

It's possible that raza is a great enough reno card to actually replace reno. Plus priest have the greater healing potion option. Reno might be optional in a reno deck. Maybe reno is too good to pass up anyway. But I think reno priest could be a difficult deck to build for. I tried. I don't have raza yet though. Just kazakus and reno.

Ladekabel

I never had a worse time with the game than now. The majority of games are against hyper-aggressive decks and if not against so ridiculously lucky opponent which play only makes sense when they believe in the heart of the cards and got rewarded for it.

The shit you can do with counterfeit coins is insane.

Also if you play FWA then upgrade upgrade, go fuck yourself. Does rogue have any anti aggro tools at all? I don't stand a chance until even patches free Pirate Warrior, unless I get a van cleef start I can't race and there's little I can do to stop them w/o diluting the deck.

manhack

I like the version of Dragon Priest that Kolento is running. He put in potion of madness to deal with aggro warrior and it seems to be doing well.

I think this is the most power-creep in a single expansion; it's basically doubled down on how you curve mattering more than how you play, and that was already a huge problem to begin with. Hearthstone's mana mechanic is just not healthy long term, maybe they can try to blunt that by increasing hero health or something I dunno.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've got enough dust for two legendaries

Should I be crafting anything other than Kazakus/Aya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom