• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

How can they even nerf Patches though? You can't just make him cost more or lower his stats.

I think the meta will correct itself. It's not like Pirate Warrior is unbeatable. They are just rampant right now because the deck is cheap, fast and punishes unoptimized decks. Once the other lists become more refined and people tech against Pirate Warrior, their numbers will decline.

Add the "if your deck has no duplicates" requirement

I haven't been playing recently, but how is Patches broken? I'd have to assume the decks that use him must spiral out of control, but then it'd be more than one single card, right?

fertygo

Made patches not had charge n summoned from hand
I haven't been playing recently, but how is Patches broken? I'd have to assume the decks that use him must spiral out of control, but then it'd be more than one single card, right?

No card is broken, you can't had free minion, free deck trimming shit like that, its just as broken as mad scientist

Finalow

I'm also not understanding why people think that because a deck is good the first week of a new meta, it's going to be good forever. Have we already forgotten that people thought N'zoth Control Paladin was overpowered when Old Gods launched? And by the time Karazhan came out it was considered a tier 4 deck?
no idea, I'm still laughing at who wanted to already quit the game or was asking for massive nerfs 24 hours after the new expansion came out, and that only because most people are playing pirate ''unbeatable (not really) ez legend'' warrior.

a cheap dumb aggro deck wins (some) games vs unoptimized new decks? Then we clearly already know what deck will dominate the ladder for the next 4 months. /s

Dahbomb

I don't get how people can't see how Patches is broken. I have been asked this question 5 times by people I know.

When you play a Pirate + Patches on turn 1, you are automatically playing with a 29 card deck. That's ridiculous deck thinning from the start because it means you have more consistency than your opponent or more than what you would normally have. There's no cost to this other than playing a Pirate and putting Patches in your deck.

Then Patches is a minion that charges for damage. That's free damage at the start or a ping if you need it. On top of that Patches is a Pirate itself for potential pirate synergy.

Imagine starting every game of Hearthstone with a 29 card deck and where instead of playing a 1/3 Void Walker you could play a 2/4 Void Walker with Battlecry Deal 1 damage to something. That sound broken? Because it is broken.

Mild example with Pirate Warrior is Nzoth's First Mate on turn 1. You get the 1 damage from the weapon and then 1 damage from Patches, two 1/1s on board. So turn 1 you take 2 damage for free, turn 2 you will take 3 damage if you don't have an answer on TURN 1 if they don't do anything else (which they aren't, they will probably play a minion). It's like Paladin playing Muster for Battle on turn 1.

Hearthstone is a VERY snowball type game. Every point of stats matters in the early game and if you get a marginal advantage at the start as an aggro deck vs another fast deck then you snowball out of control. Patches gives you that marginal advantage at start that you can snowball with.

Patches gives free advantage to Pirates for no real reason or cost. It's just a brain dead buff, it's a brain dead auto include. It's just another example of Blizzard wanting to push an archetype and they are just sledgehammering the archetype into competitive viability. I HOPE that Midrange Shamans start playing this card just to hammer home how broken it is.

I don't really care how strong or weak these Pirate decks are. Patches as a card should never have existed to begin with.

I'm pretty sure the hearthstone community thinks aggro as a thing is OP.

Pirate Warrior is worse than Face Hunter and Shaman ever were lol.

If you think Buccaneer and Patches are fine you're literally insane.

Blizzard creates all these cards to promote archetypes like Reno, Jade Golems, buffing minions, etc. Yet here we are with the ladder already being infested with a face deck.

Thanks for the explanations, it's interesting to me that a 1 Mana 1/1 could be so strong, but it's not really the card itself as it is the effects surrounding it.

I wonder how long these types of decks will stick around though.

Edit: To clarify, the decking staying overpowered, or it just being used since it deals so well with people trying new things.

ricelord

15293336_1258656520875577_1304482388_o.png

i was pissed that my kodo wasn't getting buff but it all work out in the end lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

If you think Buccaneer and Patches are fine you're literally insane.

Blizzard creates all these cards to promote archetypes like Reno, Jade Golems, buffing minions, etc. Yet here we are with the ladder already being infested with a face deck.

Ok, I played a lot of Face Hunter and a good bit of Face Shaman, and Mech Mage. I'll slap together a pirate warrior and see first hand if its really everything you guys think it is. I already crafted patches for a Pirate Small Time Recruits Paladin (I can not make Small Time Recruits work no matter what I try, maybe I'm bad). Dahbomb was pretty right about how OP Secret Hunter was last season, that thing to me 11 wins on Heroic Brawl no sweat, and I went on a 25 game win streak with it.

Jadax

I'm not sure why people are surprised that face/aggro decks continue to dominate ladder - it makes sense.

I played a few jade druids on my friend's account - and it's awesome fun, but it takes too long and you have to do a lot of thinking in some matchups...I absolutely wouldn't bother doing so much work if I had to farm my way up the ladder - just not worth the effort.

IMO the way ladder works is the problem.

Dahbomb

I think people have to actually start using Dirty Rat now.

Dirty Rats and Mistress of Mixture. Well MoM is already a crazy good card that people should be playing. Dirty Rat is what you need to stop this Pirate Warrior non sense.

These two cards can stop the aggression and can help you win. But that's not the point. You can win against Patches sure. You could also win against Undertaker. Doesn't make it right though.

ZeroX03

Banned
I would take any first week deck/tier impressions with a grain of salt. People get a few lucky/unlucky games and cry broken. Let things shake out.

That said Patches is clearly super good, there's no question there.

Dahbomb

People were crying that Patches was broken when it was first unveiled.

Most top players have it as their top 5 card of the set.

The Patches stuff was kinda drowned out by all the crazy Priest cards that came one by one in quick succession.

At least with Jade Idol I can understand waiting a few weeks or a month to unlock its potential but Patches is as clear as day.

Pooya

playing against pirate warrior is like some of those heroic adventures. It's beatable, you can build a deck that almost always wins but it sure feels unfair.

Even Blizzard knows the card is broken, it was supposed to be out with TGT but it didn't. Maybe it should have stayed that way.

fertygo

I said on this thread multiple time Patches would've the most broken card ever, its just proven.. you just can't oversee this shit

Dragon priest and multiple deck can easily beat it but its not made it right, with the dragon pirate warrior variant start caming out its just out of control real quick..

I believe blizz will made the change required but if its very fucking slow like usual, we suffering for long time

You would play patches if it was a 0/1, let alone a 1/1 with charge.

But enough of patches... drakonid operative... lets bitch about this thing. I think it ranks among thing from below.

I mean, imagine if azure drake was 5/6... we'd be bitching nonstop. This is actually better than a 5/6 azure drake imo.

I'm not sure why people are surprised that face/aggro decks continue to dominate ladder - it makes sense.

I played a few jade druids on my friend's account - and it's awesome fun, but it takes too long and you have to do a lot of thinking in some matchups...I absolutely wouldn't bother doing so much work if I had to farm my way up the ladder - just not worth the effort.

IMO the way ladder works is the problem.

One nice thing Spellweaver did is assign ladder points based on how long a game took. That way, if you play aggro decks, it takes you more games to climb, and control decks take fewer. I'd like to see every card game adopt this system, because in every other card game I play aggro or tempo just to ensure the game ends in a reasonable timespan so I can complete quests/ladder climb in a timely manner.

Dahbomb

But enough of patches... drakonid operative... lets bitch about this thing. I think it ranks among thing from below.

I mean, imagine if azure drake was 5/6... we'd be bitching nonstop. This is actually better than a 5/6 azure drake imo.
Yeah Drakonid Operative is a crazy over powered card as well. Like Drakonid is SO good that it has pushed Azure Drake out of Priests. I know it's a class card but man.

Thing about Drakonid is that it's not like Jade Idol or Patches where it punishes particular types of decks and playstyles. These cards actively prevent the use of any fun decks.

It's one of the best cards ever printed, that's for sure.

To be honest, it has no business existing. It's an absolute gross over correction but at this point that's what Blizzard is known for.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I see what makes Pirate Warriors. The extra 3 1 drop pirates you can put in your deck makes Bloodsail Cultist significantly better, and +1/+1 to weapons is stupid strong.

Also, why is the Patches summon animation so slow.

fertygo

Yeah Drakonid Operative is a crazy over powered card as well. Like Drakonid is SO good that it has pushed Azure Drake out of Priests. I know it's a class card but man.

Thing about Drakonid is that it's not like Jade Idol or Patches where it punishes particular types of decks and playstyles. These cards actively prevent the use of any fun decks.

Azure Drake is OP so dragon priest still play it anyway

yeah Drakonid is gross af, card that full stated and also draw the best card, crazy af

Oh, don't forget you have a higher chance of getting operative off of historian.

I just got 1 operative off historian. And then I used it to get another operative from my opponent. And now I got another operative from my opponent.

All that time I scouted his entire deck... I know he has kazakus and thus probably reno... holy shit the card is good.

edit:
I also saw he had no entomb in his hand because he is singleston and entomb was an option so I played the ysera I stole...

fertygo

Drakonid's stats for the effect are baffling.

How is Dragon Priest fairing at the moment?

I have no doubt its tier 1, there's room for optimization so its can beat pirate warrior a bit more easily tho

I think you should run the 4 mana potion

Dahbomb

Dragon Priest would've been tier 1 if this was the pre-MSG meta.

Now I am not sure anymore. It still lacks a finishing blow and these other decks are quite powerful too.

Haven't play against or played dragon priest but getting to pick and see 3 of your opponents cards is pretty great.

Renolock has to be nearing tier 1. Board clears for days

ZeroX03

Banned
I pulled the Mage Legendary, should craft Kazakus and try Reno Mage. Feels like all three Reno builds are very viable, although Priest might struggle.

Wonder if there's something in line to replace him for the next expansion.

Dart

I'm depressed now. I was so close to the infinite heal/shadow damage dream....

I discovered this early/mid game thanks to Kabal Courier...

I even stalled through his monkey, waiting patiently RAZA...

Teasing me with that Shadowform, and all for nothing. Literally the last card....

The last two warriors I just played both had the following three turns to start:

Turn 1 Nzoth First Mate + Patches.

Turn 2 Hobart.

Turn 3 Fiery War Axe + Upgrade.

Disgusting.gif

Guess I should be thankful it wasn't small time buccaneer lol

Finalow

a 'good' thing about Patches is that the card only works with pirates (and you need more than 2 pirates in your deck if you want any form of consistency), so you can't exactly put him in any deck like Dr. 7, Shredder or whatever other stupidly broken card blizzard designed. Patches isn't quite there, but yes, it's still a dumb strong card.

-

it really isn't worse (as in, a better aggro deck) than face Hunter and aggro Shaman when both were top tier0 decks. the deck being played now is much more beatable and easier to counter

a lot of people are playing that deck because a) ladder is a boring and long grind, with aggro decks you either lose or win very quickly - and guess what, an aggro deck was recently buffed with the new cards b) it's a fairly cheap deck to make.
that being said, I've seen plenty of other archetypes, especially Reno decks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just had a Shaman play White Eyes, and actually draw the Storm Guardian the next turn. (Turn 5 into turn 6)

I said wow.

Finalow

I just had a Shaman play White Eyes, and actually draw the Storm Guardian the next turn. (Turn 5 into turn 6)

I said wow.
I'm looking forward to play vs turn 4 Barnes > White Eyes, turn 5 White Eyes and then double Storm Guardian in the next turns.

Pooya

The problem isn't war axe. The problem is high attack weapons being able to hit face and how stupid they scale with upgrade.

solution is simple-> upgrade give a weapon +1/+1 can't attack heroes.

arcanite reaper -> can't attack heroes.

warrior deck is just direct damage card and point face pretty much, there is nothing interesting about it.

Hell, Kor'Kron Elite probably needs adjustment too after all the charge nerfs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, played 20 games of Pirate Warrior, went from 19 to rank 12. 16-4.

Patches is not OP, Bloodsail Cultist is. Take that card out, and the deck falls apart IMO, becoming much less consistent. The +1 durability to a weapon is a powerful effect, Now, getting patches for free makes your pirates more sticky, and it easier to get off Bloodsail Cultist, but Patches isn't OP without it existing.

Small Time Buccaneer is also only good. Mech Mage, turn 1 Cogmaster would always be a 3/2 turn 2, and there was less removal spells in that meta. There are a lot of games where you just don't draw any of the cheap weapons, where the game where you didn't get cheap mechs two years back were really rare.

Also, a lot of decks being played now sort of suck. They have few good plays the first few turns, and run no healing (And a number of them don't even run taunts). If people just ran Mistress of Mixtures, they would beat Pirate Warrior much more.

The deck is going to be THE aggro deck of the expansion though. I think you can easily counter it just tossing in some healing and Oozes into your deck, and that would also help out against Mid Range Shamans once they reappear.

Zoggy

jade druid may be my favorite deck of all time.

i love it so much.

and this is a guy who loved face hunter, secret paladin and yogg mage, all to legend.

jade druid seems even more fun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
jade druid may be my favorite deck of all time.

i love it so much.

and this is a guy who loved face hunter, secret paladin and yogg mage, all to legend.

jade druid seems even more fun.

What deck list are you running? I enjoyed the deck at lot (Jade Idol so good), but the variation I played was a bit wonky and felt poorly put together.

For that deck, I feel an early Jade Idol should alway be used for the golm, but late game used for more idols. What do you think about that, I heard other people liking to do the opposite.

"16-4"
"Patches is not OP."

lul

Bloodsail Cultist is OP. Wait a few days, and you will get beat up by an endless stream of budget pirate warriors who don't have the dust for Patches, and you will see the deck is only marginally worse. The two Buccaneers are enough to make Bloodsail Cultus super easy to get off compared to pre MSG, and are sigicantly better than Bloodsail Corsairs.

This is what I am running in dragon priest atm. It's tech'd to beat aggressive decks, but I still beat a reno mage deck. Drakonid operative stole reno and cabalist's tome, but even then the reno ended up being extra, already won the game when I played it. I did play around pyroblast off tome although he didn't get it.

.eJwNxUsOwiAQANC7cACGb4Gu3XsEM6GEom2HwLgy3l3f5n3EexxiFTtznyvA1mamscnJNLAWWYnqUbC3KTOdgMyY97NcPEEHtZjotQ0xJWWiS2C889qnFBan7H8b4N7LQG50PW4DXySfvYrvDy5TJec.Ok3OQ7x3sEFgDauVZiVt8Kkl-4w

If I were to target control, I'd probably just add brann tbh. Use that to get more dragons off netherspite historian. It's good enough imo. Worst case scenario, add entomb and maybe ysera.

Zoggy

The problem isn't war axe. The problem is high attack weapons being able to hit face and how stupid they scale with upgrade.

solution is simple-> upgrade give a weapon +1/+1 can't attack heroes.

arcanite reaper -> can't attack heroes.

warrior deck is just direct damage card and point face pretty much, there is nothing interesting about it.

Hell, Kor'Kron Elite probably needs adjustment too after all the charge nerfs.

THE PROBLEM IS FUCKING CHARGE

every card involved with the word charge in it has proven to be broken.

warsong commander(like 3 times)
leeroy jenkins(twice now)
arcane golem

the one spell in the game that is called fucking "CHARGE"

have all got nerfed.

weapons and spells are meant to use for board control, but they can also go face, which can be a problem. if a spell that causes damage can go face thats an auto include because its basically another charge minion.

this is why fireball, flamelands portal, frostbolt are auto includes but arcane blast and forbidden flame are not

this is why lightning bolt is an auto include but stormcrack is not.

i have no problem with face decks. I love face decks. hunter is my favorite class. but i admit that charge as a mechanic has to change for face decks to be less effective.

charge as a whole needs just be icehowls effect. It can attack the turn its played but not minions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom