• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoggy

What deck list are you running? I enjoyed the deck at lot (Jade Idol so good), but the variation I played was a bit wonky and felt poorly put together.

For that deck, I feel an early Jade Idol should alway be used for the golm, but late game used for more idols. What do you think about that, I heard other people liking to do the opposite.

I'm not using a netdeck. i don't have ONIK so no arcane giants. i took HS's lotus golems suggestion and changed some things. like i added 2 azure drakes, 2 nourishes and removed some dumbass things like lotus agents and lunar visions.

one thing I've realized is that following one deck to a specific "t" is not that important.

get the basic idea, have most of the cards, add in your own tech choices, and go play.

Wow Jade Druid feels so ridiculous to play and I don't even have Fandral or Aya. Being able to auctioneer into essentially infinite golems is just absurd. Plus if your emperor tick discounts just one card you can do the Brann + Double Jade Spirit play for a full board and other shenanigans like that.

Kornflayx

I think Eternal has a good way of handling "Relic Weapons" which is mostly comparable to Hearthstone weapons. You can't go face as long as there is a minion on the opponent's board

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What's your list?

I straigt up just went to HearthPwn and took the first item:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/678847-new-pirate-warrior-mean-streets-of-gadgetzan

List is pretty good after a bit of demoing. I think Grapplehammer could be dropped if you don't have him, he is nice but not super amazing since he doesn't buff durability or your equipped weapon.

Like I mentioned above, for me the key to the deck is to try and get as much value out of your weapon cards as possible. Don't swing and break your Axe if you can give it +1 durability next turn, and have no replacement weapon. Outside of that, standard face deck.

That advice likely goes out the weapon once people wise up and start playing anti-weapon cards.

fertygo

Kolento drop Arcane Giant on his jade druid, seem works at this aggro warrior meta.. less dead card

you get infinite big shit anyway

zoukka

Lol my quests are bugged. "Play 30 druid cards" only updates 1 card per game no matter how many druid cards i play...

I think charge belongs in hearthstone. It just needs to be weighed a lot different than it is atm. And patches should be harder to trigger. It should require like 3 pirates on the board.

I think Eternal has a good way of handling "Relic Weapons" which is mostly comparable to Hearthstone weapons. You can't go face as long as there is a minion on the opponent's board

I forgot eternal exists after MSOG came out lol... at least I don't feel bad about missing quests there. They don't seem that important.

Zoggy

some other thoughts

-the rotation system as it is is not right. some expacs last longer than others because of this.

LOE will only be one year and 3-4 months while BRM got to be 2 years and 3-4months. thats not fair for LOE buyers.

it should be every expansion(expansion/adventure whatever you want to call it) should rotate out the oldest one, for standard.

-the classic set shouldn't be evergreen. the classic set is the most OP set of all time and that is why any class who is at the top of the game always sees play.

warriors shouldnt always have fiery war axe

mages shouldn't always have fireball and frostbolt

hunters shouldn't always have animal companion and skill command

paladins shouldn't always have truesilver and tirion

etc etc.

the classic set should be a set that can rotate out for standard (and come back)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ok, played 20 games of Pirate Warrior, went from 19 to rank 12. 16-4.

Patches is not OP, Bloodsail Cultist is. Take that card out, and the deck falls apart IMO, becoming much less consistent. The +1 durability to a weapon is a powerful effect, Now, getting patches for free makes your pirates more sticky, and it easier to get off Bloodsail Cultist, but Patches isn't OP without it existing.

Small Time Buccaneer is also only good. Mech Mage, turn 1 Cogmaster would always be a 3/2 turn 2, and there was less removal spells in that meta. There are a lot of games where you just don't draw any of the cheap weapons, where the game where you didn't get cheap mechs two years back were really rare.

Also, a lot of decks being played now sort of suck. They have few good plays the first few turns, and run no healing (And a number of them don't even run taunts). If people just ran Mistress of Mixtures, they would beat Pirate Warrior much more.

The deck is going to be THE aggro deck of the expansion though. I think you can easily counter it just tossing in some healing and Oozes into your deck, and that would also help out against Mid Range Shamans once they reappear.

Sorry but I disagree with a lot of that. I agree that Bloodsail Cultist is the best card in the deck, but Patches is right behind it as being a huge part of it. Small Time Buccaneer is NUTS though, it is way better than cogmaster.

Here's the standard mech scenario. Let's put it against zoo since it's a classic. You turn 1 cogmaster, they turn 1 flame imp. You play mech warper on 2 and your 3/2 trades and dies. This is a huge difference.

The buccaneer here puts patches into play, the zoo plays flame imp. The weapon enables the buff and you kill the minion with the weapon to protect the board, while the minions smash face. It also threatens the next minion being played before the pirate warrior even develops anything. A mech mage in the above scenario using a frostbolt is a much different, and much slower scenario.

Buccaneer into war axe even kills doomsayer.

The deck is really shitty against taunts though. I played a lot of pirate warrior in wild and that's the real kicker, their only burn beyond taunts are mortal strikes. But this mostly shows how bad most early taunts are since they still aren't good enough to be put in your deck unless you're dragon priest.

THE PROBLEM IS FUCKING CHARGE

every card involved with the word charge in it has proven to be broken.

warsong commander(like 3 times)
leeroy jenkins(twice now)
arcane golem

the one spell in the game that is called fucking "CHARGE"

have all got nerfed.

weapons and spells are meant to use for board control, but they can also go face, which can be a problem. if a spell that causes damage can go face thats an auto include because its basically another charge minion.

this is why fireball, flamelands portal, frostbolt are auto includes but arcane blast and forbidden flame are not

this is why lightning bolt is an auto include but stormcrack is not.

i have no problem with face decks. I love face decks. hunter is my favorite class. but i admit that charge as a mechanic has to change for face decks to be less effective.

charge as a whole needs just be icehowls effect. It can attack the turn its played but not minions.

Can't forget force of nature!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just want to point out, Blackrock Mountain came out in April. It is 6 months older than LoE, not 1 year.

And yeah, I think Classic being evergreen is a long term problem, but Blizard look adamant to just nerfing 5-10 cards in it per year.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah the rotation is weird. Did they think it would be simpler this way? Because I constantly see people confused by it.

I guess it drastically changes the meta rather than slowly but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Other games always seemed to be a bit more clear with blocks/formats.

Zoggy

the next expac should just bump out the oldest expac ( be it an adventure/full-fledged expansion) whatever.

that never dilates the card pool for standard.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sorry but I disagree with a lot of that. I agree that Bloodsail Cultist is the best card in the deck, but Patches is right behind it as being a huge part of it. Small Time Buccaneer is NUTS though, it is way better than cogmaster.

Here's the standard mech scenario. Let's put it against zoo since it's a classic. You turn 1 cogmaster, they turn 1 flame imp. You play mech warper on 2 and your 3/2 trades and dies. This is a huge difference.

The buccaneer here puts patches into play, the zoo plays flame imp. The weapon enables the buff and you kill the minion with the weapon to protect the board, while the minions smash face. It also threatens the next minion being played before the pirate warrior even develops anything. A mech mage in the above scenario using a frostbolt is a much different, and much slower scenario.

Buccaneer into war axe even kills doomsayer.

The deck is really shitty against taunts though. I played a lot of pirate warrior in wild and that's the real kicker, their only burn beyond taunts are mortal strikes. But this mostly shows how bad most early taunts are since they still aren't good enough to be put in your deck unless you're dragon priest.
You are comparing an average mech mage open vs the best turn 1 Pirate Warrior open. Mech Mage ran 4 mechs that were 2 or less mana (Snow Chugger, Annoy-O-Tron, Mechwarper, Clockwork Gnome). Annoy-O-Tron made it so you couldn't kill Cogmaster without a spell, and Mechwarper was a higher priority target that could get you a free Clockwork Gnome out with. Plus the meta didn't have as much early removal as today.

Now, Pirate Warrior decks are not as refined as end of GvG Mech Mage list I'm looking back on (But Pirate Warrior is in a decently mature state since its an existing archetype), but the current ones I have seen run Upgrade, FWA, First Mate, and Arcanite Reaper (Sometimes also Brass Knuckles, but that usually subs Arcanite Reaper). Well, you aren't playing turn 2 Arcanite, so you currently have 6 total cards to activate your turn 1 Buccaneer. But you don't really want to play Upgrade without a weapon, if you do you tend to lose significant future damage (Though if you can combo it with Southsea deckhand, that works out well), so you only have 4 ideal turn 2 plays that upgrade Buccaneer, and First Mate is slightly weak if you don't have a second pirate to fill in the extra mana.

Basically, I stand by my argument that Cog Master was stronger in Mech Mage back in the day than Buccaneer is in Pirate Warrior today, due to less activators to buff it to a 3/2 and slightly less removal.

Also, Snowchugger would do work against Pirate Warrior. Closest Mage has now is Frostcaller, which is overpriced.

jgminto

Had a mirror Dragon Priest match where the opponent tried to Pint-size Potion/Cabal Shadow Priest my Chillmaw, I guess they forgot 6 > 5. They were running a weird list though, it had Northshires, Wild Pyros, a Potion of Madness and two Entombs which all seems like stuff that would fit more in a Reno or Control Priest than Dragon who are looking for a good opening curve.

vall03

Still have a lot to learn playing Rogue, but I found N'Zoth Jade Rogue fun despite sucking at decision making when it comes to playing cards. Just lost to a Pirate Warrior though. Fuck that 5/4 Fiery War Axe!

ScribbleD

Reno is such an obnoxious card. It's not fun to play as, and it's doubly so not fun to play against. It's such a morale killer to deal with.

ScribbleD

Reno is a bunch of fun to play...when you can survive to turn 6.

Couldn't disagree more. It doesn't feel good to win with and the games involving Reno are horribly protracted. When I win as Reno it feels undeserved, and the second I sniff a Reno deck when I'm not playing one myself - which is usually obvious early - I just sigh.

jgminto

Reno is one of the few match ups where playing all your minions and burst as quickly as possible isn't necessarily the best option, the moments in Reno games where you're trying to push them close enough to get lethal but not so close that they'd want to play Reno yet is a great dynamic.

FeD.nL

Yup the rotation system is fucked up and I agree that the classic set should not be evergreen and instead have the basic set be a set of cards that changes every new standard year. As in switches out cards for cards from sets that are no longer standard legal (for example instead of frostbolt, flamecannon takes over the 2-mana spell slot that year).

Also now that "Year of the Kraken" has been fully released it might be a fun to reflect on that. I'm honestly slightly disappointed. Where I was hoping for a tight constructed block with a clear vision of where classes should end up we basically got more of the same. I'm seriously beginning to think there are too many voices on the team at team 5 and not enough leadership.

When I look back on the 3 pieces of content released I just don't see a clear vision. There are bits of ideas scattered through these expansions/adventure and some of the bits glue better together than others. Whereas preventing classes from getting too dominant or lacklustre they once again resort to (over)compensating after a problematic class becomes apparent.

Ah well, there is always next year.. sigh.

fertygo

Couldn't disagree more. It doesn't feel good to win with and the games involving Reno are horribly protracted. When I win as Reno it feels undeserved, and the second I sniff a Reno deck when I'm not playing one myself - which is usually obvious early - I just sigh.
Undeserved what reno is the best

Reno deck encourage you to use your resource at the best, you only have each card one so you must maximize each card usage, that's what card game at its best, two player use their resource carefully and came out as winner

not just vomit card and hit face

Miletius

Anybody try a secret mage yet? I tried a couple of games with a handcrafted deck and just dropped a few ranks. Feel like you just lose too much early value with the new secret minion, mage secrets don't seem like they get much value early. Even with AI and Azure drakes + thalnos and loot hoarder I was in top deck mode by turn 6 or 7 most games.

Tomcat

86 packs got ayax2 but not even one jade idol. Had to craft it :(

So I guess patches is an auto craft card?
What other legendaries are must have?

squidyj

Pirate Warrior is worse than Face Hunter and Shaman ever were lol.

If you think Buccaneer and Patches are fine you're literally insane.

Blizzard creates all these cards to promote archetypes like Reno, Jade Golems, buffing minions, etc. Yet here we are with the ladder already being infested with a face deck.

infested with a face deck. interesting choice of words. its almost like you think it's a bad or unworthy archetype defiling the purity of your fucking waifu.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it save to say that the goons lost the gang war ( although one of them ran off to the pirats)?

I think a Goons Hunter has a lot of potential still, and I have seen musing of Taunt Warrior actually be legit with Public Defender. I think it will not be until the end of season that we really get a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Pooya

So far as crafting goes, Kazakus and Patches are indeed very good and safest things you can craft right now. Kazakus is a fun card too as a bonus.

Maybes... Aya Blackpaw. It's not a bad card from what I've played but I'm not sure it will make it to the final lists of Jade Druid. You might not need it. Other Jade decks need it but they are kind of bad. Jade Shaman is alright though. Rogue has other problems. Jade Rogue is just a better N'Zoth list than before which already beat every control deck. Jades really don't help rogue do what it couldn't do before and right now you really really need taunts in your deck. Maybe playing Argus helps you.

White Eyes... I actually haven't seen much from this card yet anywhere and I don't have it myself.

Priest legendary is good too but I'm not sure Reno priest is good or priest in general. Do you want to play priest?

Everything else seems very distant honorable mentions. Paladin legendary is good but paladin is kinda bad right now. Maybe when people figure out the aggro list, there is something to be made there. Small time recruits is a good underrated I think.

I opened a golden Kun yesterday actually and I really want to play some ramp druid but I'm not sure how to approach it. I opened Beardo today which I have no use for at the moment.

So far I'm just playing renolock and I can confirm it destroys pre gadgetzan mid shaman without a single new card, I played against quite a few of them. With a decent hand you beat pirate warrior too. Just play senjin, sun protector and demonwrath actually. Demonwrath is important, it kills the opening pretty much. Things that slow them down. The new 3 mana 5/5 is good too but can backfire.

jgminto

Maybes... Aya Blackpaw. It's not a bad card from what I've played but I'm not sure it will make it to the final lists of Jade Druid. You might not need it. Other Jade decks need it but they are kind of bad. Jade Shaman is alright though. Rogue has other problems. Jade Rogue is just a better N'Zoth list than before which already beat every control deck. Jades really don't help rogue do what it couldn't do before and right now you really really need taunts in your deck. Maybe playing Argus helps you.
While Aya isn't necessary in Druid, I think she sticks due to pure annoyance factor. If the opponent wants to deal with her, they potentially have a 4/4 or bigger they'll need to deal with as well. She's a much, much better Piloted Sky Golem with extra synergy.

bidguy

Banned
man its swarming with aggro decks right now. i hope its because people havent figured out the right decks with the other cards..

BashNasty

man its swarming with aggro decks right now. i hope its because people havent figured out the right decks with the other cards..

It's because people are uncreative and care far, far too much about winning above all else.

Have fun experiementing with new decks? Nah, they just check hearthpwn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom