• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

The Innervate text says gain 2 mana crystals this turn though.

Yeah it does, but don't trust the text on a card since it can get messy sometimes.

Wild Growth basically has the same interaction as Kun as in if you innervate to 10 mana and you use Wild Growth it doesn't trigger Excess Mana.

omgkitty

I decided to mess around with Hearthstone this weekend, only having previously done the tutorial stuff about a year ago, and I'm having a lot of fun. Thinking of picking up a solo adventure, but wanted to know what I should spend my money on. I already bought the $5 welcome pack. Should I jump right into Gadgetzan, or should I pick up some of the earlier ones first?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As I predicted, Wrathion isn't that great at least in Dragon Priest, funny enough it might be better in Reno Dragon Priest despite the fewer number of dragons because being a 4/6 taunt which draws a card is sorely needed in such a deck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/5glnsj/wrathion_analysis_for_dragon_priest/

I think this is probably the wrong way to think about it. Pre-nerf Tuskarr Totemic was actually below the power curve half of the time you played it (<50% winrates if you roll a basic totem on Turn 3), but the times you got the upside were game-winning. Wrathion is probably on curve when you draw one dragon but he's NUTS when you draw 2. If the average draw when 10 dragons is actually 1.5 dragons that's still really good.

Edit: I think somebody in the comments has it right. You think of it like Acolyte of Pain. If Acolyte of Pain gets only 1 card, that's actually not that great. Below curve. And that happens a lot. But he's insane if you get 2.

Xanathus

I think this is probably the wrong way to think about it. Pre-nerf Tuskarr Totemic was actually below the power curve half of the time you played it (<50% winrates if you roll a basic totem on Turn 3), but the times you got the upside were game-winning. Wrathion is probably on curve when you draw one dragon but he's NUTS when you draw 2. If the average draw when 10 dragons is actually 1.5 dragons that's still really good.

The additional thing though is that Dragon Priest doesn't actually need more draw because it almost doesn't run out of cards with Netherspite Historian, Drakonid Operative, and Azure Drake. It's obviously nuts to draw 2 cards, but you don't NEED 2 card draw rather than something else that has more utility especially when the value from drawing more than 1 card only comes when you draw a minion.

gutshot

I decided to mess around with Hearthstone this weekend, only having previously done the tutorial stuff about a year ago, and I'm having a lot of fun. Thinking of picking up a solo adventure, but wanted to know what I should spend my money on. I already bought the $5 welcome pack. Should I jump right into Gadgetzan, or should I pick up some of the earlier ones first?

Generally you should be spending money on adventures and using gold for buying packs. Of course, if you are willing to spend real money on both, you can fill your collection quicker. But adventures give you the best bang for your buck. And they are fun.

Unfortunately, it's kind of awkward right now as all the adventures except for Karazhan will be rotated out in the spring. So you will only be getting about 5-6 months of use out of any cards from earlier adventures. And Karazhan doesn't have a ton of really meta-relevant cards. Even still, I'd probably recommend starting with that one and then if you want to spend more, you could get the others.

br3wnor

I'd focus more on the base packs since they'll never be rotated out of circulation.

When the first 2017 expansion comes out most likely in April the following expansions will be toast: League of Explorers, The Grand Tournament and Blackrock Mountain

So if you're looking at getting the best value, definitely focus on the base packs + Whispers of the Old Gods, Karahzan and Gadgetzan. Some great cards in LOE, Grand Tourney and Blackrock but you're only gonna get 3-4 months use out of them.

ZealousD

The additional thing though is that Dragon Priest doesn't actually need more draw because it almost doesn't run out of cards with Netherspite Historian, Drakonid Operative, and Azure Drake. It's obviously nuts to draw 2 cards, but you don't NEED 2 card draw rather than something else that has more utility especially when the value from drawing more than 1 card only comes when you draw a minion.

I think running Wrathion assumes you cut at least 1 Azure Drake. Weren't most people keen on doing that anyway?

ZealousD

And Karazhan doesn't have a ton of really meta-relevant cards.

Silverware Golem
Priest of the Feast
Maelstrom Portal
Ivory Knight
Kindly Grandmother
Arcane Giant
Menagerie Warden
Cat Trick
Babbling Book
Spirit Claws
Malchezaar's Imp
Ironforge Portal

You will be worse off without Karazhan...

Levi

Banned
Data Reaper Live is showing that the higher you get on ladder, the more Warrior you see. No archetype data, just class frequency, but presumably the vast majority of Warriors are Pirate, with a few "handbuff" and "taunt/control" sprinkled in.
jeFpriG.gif

Anyway, this explains why it was really stupid of me to try and counter pirate warrior at rank 13. I'm doing much better now that I've switched back to Renolock. I'll play that deck until I get to all the Pirates and then make the move to Priest, I think.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dang, #RIPadin
Reynad predicted that Paladin was the worst class with the expansion, which to be 100% honest i didnt agree with.

Moral of the story: Believe the noodle

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dang, #RIPadin
Reynad predicted that Paladin was the worst class with the expansion, which to be 100% honest i didnt agree with.

Nothing is clear about where things will settle.

It's entirely possible that pirate warrior will die off like zoo did last meta.

Hereafter

I'm not running dirty rat, in part because I don't have it, in second part because I am too afraid of screwing up a good thing. If you need a strong follow up to dirty rat, then it's not really that different compared to less riskier cards perhaps. Not sure what I would cut in my current list though.

I'm actually back to the non-combo list lol. Also added mountain giant. VERSION 1.7

Is this the list I played against yesterday?

Have you thought about removing Rag since too he's slow for this meta?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Zoo is not dead, there's Discard Zoo for instance.
I like "control oriented" metas instead of full aggro metas so i hope that the Pirate Warrior dominance is just a phase :)

wiibomb

wait what?? zoo never died, I always saw, and still see lots of it.

Discolock even encouraged it since it is just a modification from it

gutshot

Silverware Golem
Priest of the Feast
Maelstrom Portal
Ivory Knight
Kindly Grandmother
Arcane Giant
Menagerie Warden
Cat Trick
Babbling Book
Spirit Claws
Malchezaar's Imp
Ironforge Portal

You will be worse off without Karazhan...

Well, there you go. Karazhan is prob the best place to spend your money.

Dahbomb

Can't we talk about the Arena for a second?

I think this might be the best Arena meta since at least Old Gods. I think the monumental class shuffling has done Arena good.

Warlock is on top not because of its Zoo playstyle in the past but because of control. They have a removal and a tempo board clear at 7 plus a board clear at 6. Warlock can actually play control in Arena now and do very well at it.

Priest and Mage at the top means they can also play control. Mage and Priest could always play control but now the meta is favorable for it. Rogue is still at high skill tempo class in Arena.

More importantly curve stone is nerfed in Arena. There are far fewer 2 drops now and way more board clears from the Kabal side. The Goons and Jade take some time to ramp up so now the early game is less reliant on curving out than before. This means that I would not be surprised to learn that the percentage of going first versus second has been lowered.

More control less curvestone means longer games and more skill involved. Also pure aggro is now a viable strategy again because you can target Warlocks with it.

Arena feels a lot better now and it's not ruined by Jade shenanigans or Patches bull crap. It might be the best Arena meta ever. I will have to see what the guy's at Lightforge say about it but this is how I feel. Only problem I have is that Priest might be too braindead in Arena as they just have powerful early game plays.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

ZealousD

Cool ideas there. We will see how it plays in reality, but weird cross-over stuff is the kind of thing I like in this game. I suspect if this goes down well, there's a chance we see more and more of this cross pollenation stuff until one day we get a Diablo or Starcraft themed card set. Not soon, but it's believable that it will happen someday.

I would love a Tauren Marine card.

Hero

Cool ideas there. We will see how it plays in reality, but weird cross-over stuff is the kind of thing I like in this game. I suspect if this goes down well, there's a chance we see more and more of this cross pollenation stuff until one day we get a Diablo or Starcraft themed card set. Not soon, but it's believable that it will happen someday.

I said this back in the day that Hearthstone should be an all-encompassing Blizzard franchise thing and people laughed the idea away dismissively.

br3wnor

Only played about 10 games with it so far, but Pirate Warrior is pretty nuts. Up to rank 14ish, won 8/10 of my games and only lost when I had REALLY bad opening draws. There's so many ways that this deck can just snowball that it's crazy.

Also love how good patches is even though when I first crafted him I thought how is this worth 1600 dust. The tempo swing he brings on turn 1 or 2 is so, so worth it.

Interesting to see how this deck keeps playing as the meta continues to adapt.

patchday

Dang, #RIPadin

I'm not believing the noodle esp someone as salty as reynad lol. Sure he could kick my butt in HS but seems too soon to say such a thing

[edit] Granted I never play pally. Tried to play buffadin once or twice and get rekt'ed. So my opinion on this class is not worth anything ;(

You might want at least buy the 1st wing from each expansion cause once they rotate out you'll be locked out forever. For example I joined in WoTG and I am unable to buy the older adventures and experience the content. But if you have at least 1 wing unlocked you can

But get karazhan! Ignore the haters its a great adventure!!!!

The chart probably doesn't even show how bad it is at rank 5-9. A bunch of crappy players playing the straight forward aggro deck aren't good enough to get past rank 5 but literally can't be bad enough to stop from floating up too high because of how straight forward the deck is.

Fersis

I'm not believing the noodle esp someone as salty as reynad lol.

I know it's rare but a happy reynad playing HS is one of the best streams you can watch on twitch.
And if Jeff Leach is in, its top tier level 1 Legend Rank 1

_DrMario_

Had a play 10 8+ mana cost minions quest so I decided to play old school control warrior.

Went 11-3 lol. 4-2 against pirate warrior. Hard countered by priest but luckily I only faced one. Won both matches I had against reno lock.

Love me some control warrior.

edit: I didn't know Savjz was so popular since he streams while I'm at work.

Dahbomb

Alright just saw the most recent ADWCTA/MERPS video.

Yeah they hella overrated the Jade classes initially based on the assumption that the occurence bonus would be 100%+. Today they figured it that it was only 50%. This severely nerfs the Jade classes and buffs the Kabal classes. Mages want the lowest possible occurence bonus possible and Warlock has powerful but situational class cards in the common slot which works out perfectly for them. All the Kabal classes are top 3 right now which makes sense as to why I have experienced a controllish meta in the Arena.

Blastcrystal Potion while on paper worse than Assassinate has almost single handedly transformed the Warlock class in Arena.

wiibomb

ok I'm getting terrible results from my Buff warrior, anyone here has used a nice one I could use? I love that mechanic but I can't help but feel my deck is extremely slow and I get killed before I put anything worth

ZealousD

Alright just saw the most recent ADWCTA/MERPS video.

Yeah they hella overrated the Jade classes initially based on the assumption that the occurence bonus would be 100%+. Today they figured it that it was only 50%. This severely nerfs the Jade classes and buffs the Kabal classes. Mages want the lowest possible occurence bonus possible and Warlock has powerful but situational class cards in the common slot which works out perfectly for them. All the Kabal classes are top 3 right now which makes sense as to why I have experienced a controllish meta in the Arena.

Blastcrystal Potion while on paper worse than Assassinate has almost single handedly transformed the Warlock class in Arena.

Even with the possibility of an insane occurrence bonus, the Jade mechanic seemed way too optimistic in arena. Not all of the jade cards are common and you have to play at least 4 jade cards for the mechanic to get good. You're just sacrificing a lot of early tempo. I think the Kabal was always going to get the most of out this expansion in arena since their cards synergized the least.

I just drafted a double imp gang boss and double abyssal enforcer deck yesterday. I even got a crystalweaver to make the imp gang bosses better. 72.8 Tierscore on HearthArena but I think they underrate Abyssal Enforcer. We'll see how well it does when I get to play it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom