• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

Here's a Wild Face Pirate Hunter deck I just threw together.
yeah in Wild face pirate Hunter seems pretty disgusting.

Paladin hand buff is highly inconsistent, if you don't get them in the opening you lose hard and fast. If you get them it's not exactly too strong either. It's not a well thought out concept overall. I don't think it will be a thing ever, I liked it at first, it seemed good enough but after trying it for a bit you see how it falls apart easily.
the low cost version is not very consistent, and for that it's not as good as the current aggro decks being played, but if you get a decent hand it can drop a bunch of buffed 1 mana minions and kill you very fast, in that case it's definitely strong. I remember some people climbing to 5+ with it back when the expansion released, and it was hardly an optimized deck. I wouldn't call that or the slower version bad at all, they're just not as good as the other decks being played.
not to mention that Wickerflame Burnbristle is a 3 mana Tirion if not better against all these aggro decks.

Is Maly rogue still good of is Jade rouge the new hotness

They're very different decks though. I think jade golem rogue competes more like miracle rogue than maly rogue. It's more of a midrange deck I think, or even aggressive in some lists that run the lite pirate package. I haven't played the pirate package, but my impression is that the midrange deck will turn out to be better in the end once the meta slows down and I think it will slow down.

Levi

Banned
I've seen several Rogues playing Jade/Nzoth, trying to curve from the 1/1 with stealth to Unearthed Raptor the next turn and closing out with a Nzoth board that spawns Jade Golems.

I tried the n'zoth jade golem rogue. It seemed super weak so I stopped pretty fast.

I could see it being a bit stronger after the meta slows down. It has slowed down a little since I tried it at least.

e:
When I tried it I didn't even play any aggro warrior. I just wasn't impressed with it, but I think it could be made better.

Gang up seems like a neat idea. Perhaps a concept inspired by jade idol, but jade idol seems much much stronger due to the combo with fandral and costing less than half of gang up on a swarmer.

For n'zoth, I'd imagine shadowstep is just straight up better combo.

Dahbomb

Gang up seems like a neat idea. Perhaps a concept inspired by jade idol, but jade idol seems much much stronger due to the combo with fandral and costing less than half of gang up on a swarmer.

For n'zoth, I'd imagine shadowstep is just straight up better combo.
The dude just out gimmicked me. I was just waiting for my Emperor to activate the combo but instead he kept chaining Nzoths which kept spawning Mistress of Mixtures and put him slightly out of range. I still would've won if I got the Emperor but it was in bottom 2 of deck.

Oh well can't complain. Bet that dude gets worked by all the Pirate Warriors out there.

i think this guy's pirate miracle rogue deck is very solid
https://twitter.com/Xzirezhs/status/806183397391552512

CzAjeDBWIAALHkJ.jpg:large

Dahbomb

I pretty much imagine that Rogue is going to play turn 1 Pirate, coin out Cold Blood on the Patches to do 5 damage with 0 interactivity whatsoever.

scarlet

Tried aggro shaman went 3-1.

Back to my comfort zone Jade shaman. Having a blast now. Maelstrom portal <3. I wish I have enough dust to craft Aya.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Lots of folks trying out gimmicky Kun Aviana decks tonight. Both strifecro and kripp are doing a Cthun version with brewmasters.

gutshot

Looks like Blizzard pushed a patch to the game that fixed a lot of bugs including the weird ordering of Kazakus spells.

Dahbomb

Looks like Blizzard pushed a patch to the game that fixed a lot of bugs including the weird ordering of Kazakus spells.
Is there a detail list of it?

I have played like 20 games of Renolock and still don't know the interaction of all the spells.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is mountain giant a must run in renolock?

I've been playing it in both standard and wild and currently super greedy with the removal/board clears, not sure if i should put mountain giant in.

Also, wild. Assume that pirate warriors are about as prevalent as standard and even more annoying with ships cannon. Run both dirty rat and deathlord?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Might be worth checking to see if they fixed Weasel Tunneler, too.

Tried aggro shaman went 3-1.

Back to my comfort zone Jade shaman. Having a blast now. Maelstrom portal <3. I wish I have enough dust to craft Aya.

I absolutely hate playing as Aggro Shaman. You want to mulligan for early minions and then draw into burn/reach. If things happen in the opposite order you probably just lose. Feels like you have zero control with a deck like that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I've been playing it in both standard and wild and currently super greedy with the removal/board clears, not sure if i should put mountain giant in.

Also, wild. Assume that pirate warriors are about as prevalent as standard and even more annoying with ships cannon. Run both dirty rat and deathlord?

People are currently skimping on single target removal in favor of AoE removal, so Mountain Giant is one of Renolock's best cards right now.

Dahbomb

I personally do not run it.

I see very little reason to run it. Ever since Renolock became a thing over Handlock and the game started to become faster I see little reason to run it. Useless against aggro, tempo and any class with decent removal.

Mountain Giant was mainly a way to beat other control/slow decks... but the Leeroy combo and Jaraxxus do that good enough. Mountain Giant is really only good when you play it on turn 4 but you have to essentially skip your first 3 turns to play it (unless you play a Discover card like Peddler/Courier going second).

At this point I think people run Mountain Giant because they are stuck in the old mentality of having to play Mountain Giant on turn 4 or having some strong turn 4 play. Now you have Refreshment Vendor and Kazakus to play on turn 4 if you need to. And they can actually be played on turn 4 if you don't skip your first few turns. The newer Renolock list are far more proactive and have a lot of cards they can play in the first 3 turns.

It wrecks Druids though. But Renolock can beat Druids without Mountain Giant.

Mountain Giants become better when you have two of them along with Molten Giants. That way you have redundancy of threats so if one gets answered fast, the other one is likely to hold the board and do some face damage.

In other news, Kripp about to go 0-7 the dream with this new Combo Druid deck. LMAO!

Kripp 0-8 right now... LUL!!!!

Lotus assassin is so good. Playing it in miracle rogue atm. Played it on turn 5. Removed two minions with it then it was 5/1. Went face. He couldn't deal with it and auctioneer. Then it went face again (with double cold blood winning the game). That's just incredible value there.

e:
I think stealth rogue could be a thing. It just needs a couple more great stealth cards like lotus assassin. Lotus assassin is on a power level of being worthy of play just in a typical rogue deck though. I don't think that can be said for any other stealth minion atm, except perhaps shaku. I guess maybe stranglethorn tiger but that seems a bit too redundant.

scarlet

Might be worth checking to see if they fixed Weasel Tunneler, too.

I absolutely hate playing as Aggro Shaman. You want to mulligan for early minions and then draw into burn/reach. If things happen in the opposite order you probably just lose. Feels like you have zero control with a deck like that.

Yup. My only lost with that deck was when I had 0 cards in my hand.

Playing Jade shaman I can focus on AoE and using totems and Jade golem as my minions. But I used 1 bloodlust tho. Don't understand why people don't use it in their Jade shaman deck.

2 people has been using dirty rat on turn 2 and both times it favors me.

Dahbomb

999999 - 1 match up against Renolock.

Build an entire Priest deck to counter Pirate Warrior... still go 0-2.

Kripp has gone against like 5 PWs in a row and has gotten slaughtered. I think he's very close to going full trigger mode.

OMG Kripp is finally going to win after losing 10 in a row!

KuroNeeko

Lotus assassin is so good. Playing it in miracle rogue atm. Played it on turn 5. Removed two minions with it then it was 5/1. Went face. He couldn't deal with it and auctioneer. Then it went face again (with double cold blood winning the game). That's just incredible value there.

e:
I think stealth rogue could be a thing. It just needs a couple more great stealth cards like lotus assassin. Lotus assassin is on a power level of being worthy of play just in a typical rogue deck though. I don't think that can be said for any other stealth minion atm, except perhaps shaku. I guess maybe stranglethorn tiger but that seems a bit too redundant.

Go full Ninja mode with Jade Swarmer, Shaku, Shuriken, and Shadow Sensei. lol

Dahbomb

Kripp is complaining that he can't build a deck good against everything...
Renolock is that deck right now.

Well it doesn't win every match up but it wins enough match ups and is a skillful enough deck that you can do very well it. That's pretty much how it should be.

And we already had a deck that was good against everything... it was Midrange Shaman.

Renolock is that deck right now.

Well it doesn't win every match up but it wins enough match ups and is a skillful enough deck that you can do very well it. That's pretty much how it should be.

And we already had a deck that was good against everything... it was Midrange Shaman.
Ideally, every deck works this way. I think Blizzard really needs to rethink its approach to aggro, and there need to be some skill-oriented aggro cards. Midrange and Control already involve a suitable amount of thinking.

Dahbomb

Ideally, every deck works this way. I think Blizzard really needs to rethink its approach to aggro, and there need to be some skill-oriented aggro cards. Midrange and Control already involve a suitable amount of thinking.
I think they tried with the Grimestreet mechanic.

Grimestreet mechanic really aids in helping out aggro. You can strategically manipulate your hand so that you can have the buffs land on the chargers.

But the problem with Grimestreet is that you still start out weak and no one wants to start out weak playing aggro decks.

fertygo

I like Mountain Giant its only bad against really fast deck really.. its wreck midrange to slow deck.. you still tap a lot as renolock so mountain giant just made sense

Dahbomb

I like Mountain Giant its only bad against really fast deck really.. its wreck midrange to slow deck.. you still tap a lot as renolock so mountain giant just made sense
But your entire deck wrecks slow/control. Why do you need more stuff to beat slow/control with?

And a single Felfire Potion wrecks Midrange harder than Mountain Giant ever could.

Patches could have been a skill based card. But the requirements to play it are super small so...

Imagine if it required 3 pirates on board. It would at least stop the dumb decks that play like 4 or 5 pirates just to get a free 1/1 charge from running it.

fertygo

But your entire deck wrecks slow/control. Why do you need more stuff to beat slow/control with?
Not really like 1/3 of my deck is low curve shit

I can't even run rag

If I choose Giant or Rag I choose Giant all the time.. you start initiative with no need to gàmble

I get the argument to not run Giant but eh its fit the gameplan more often than not for me.

Dahbomb

If you have Jaraxxus and Leeroy combo then you win against control. Period.

The rest is worrying about Midrange, Tempo and Aggro.

You play Abyssal Enforcer, Felfire Potion, Shadowflame, Drake, Siphon Soul, Twisting Nether maybe Blastcrystal Potion for Midrange. That's generally enough and Jaraxxus can finish up Midrange decks once you have survived until that time. Reno Jackson and the heals to delay the game.

Then you have like 12 cards to counter aggro/tempo because that is an actual match up that you lose. And Mountain Giant doesn't help you with that.

Though I guess if you don't run Rag then Mountain Giant makes more sense. I like Rag for a bunch of reasons. Beats Freeze Mage, can snipe Gadgetan, helps get random face damage to secure lethal with combo, helps against Midrange and Control and more importantly it does something on the board when you play it. It's probably not a good pick at the moment due to Pirate Warrior... but neither is Mountain Giant to be honest. If you really want to stay ahead of the meta then you would cut both of them.

Like I know Renolock is the flavor of the month right now but I have been playing Renolock since the day they released Reno Jackson. I have subbed in Senjin for Mountain Giant and saw an increase in win rate, that's how poor Mountain Giant has been in some match ups. I have tried all sorts of combinations with Mountain Giant and without it. I usually feel there isn't a good enough reason for including Mountain Giant outside of legacy reasons. If I could play a second Drake then I would do that in a heart beat or any overstatted 4 drop that doesn't require you to skip 3 turns to play it on turn 4. Now we got Kazakus which isn't quite the same but through Kazakus you can get a high tempo minion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom