• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

China to force online games with loot boxes to publicly announce item drop rates
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323027

I wonder if this will also affect Hearthstone although I think they have already unofficially mentioned the drop rates previously in forum posts.

I think we have enough data from people submitting their pack opening stats every expansion release that this really won't matter.

EDIT: Yeah I think the data still says roughly Common: 72% Rare: 22% Epic: 5% Legendary: 1% with a 40-pack pity timer for Legendaries.

Renolock winning a lot in tourney

what a timeline ;___;
I'm honestly delighted that Renolock has emerged as the top tier deck thus far. It's a control deck, it has a high skill ceiling and punishes bad play harshly, it can beat almost any deck, it's highlander so you don't see the same annoying curve every other game and it's super fun and rewarding to play. Definitely the most I've liked a tier 1 deck in a long time.

I'm honestly delighted that Renolock has emerged as the top tier deck thus far. It's a control deck, it has a high skill ceiling and punishes bad play harshly, it can beat almost any deck, it's highlander so you don't see the same annoying curve every other game and it's super fun and rewarding to play. Definitely the most I've liked a tier 1 deck in a long time.

Just because it's highlander doesn't mean they are playing particularly different cards. There's a lot of redundancy right now because the pool of cards is the biggest it's ever going to be. Come rotation we can talk about the uniqueness of the deck.

KuroNeeko

Gonna be pretty unique without Reno.

That's pretty much the only thing keeping me from crafting Raza and Friends.

What if they get the C'thun treatment?

Just because it's highlander doesn't mean they are playing particularly different cards. There's a lot of redundancy right now because the pool of cards is the biggest it's ever going to be. Come rotation we can talk about the uniqueness of the deck.

The biggest the standard set will ever be will be at the end of next year. Right now we have 2 adventures from 2015 and 1 set from 2015. But starting in 2016 and thereafter, there will be 2 sets and 1 adventure. So next year at the end of the year we'll have 100 or so more cards than we do now because that is roughly the difference between a set and an adventure.

The decks definitely do aim for some level of redundancy, but it's not like there is actually 2 hellfires and 2 felfire potions. There is inconsistency in the deck that would otherwise not be there for sure, that does end up making the deck more unique than typical decks from game to game. Of course renolock draws a lot so that inconsistency isn't as apparently.

The inconsistency is much more apparent when you play reno priest (haven't tried reno mage yet). Without life tap it makes you question whether the inconsistency is even worth kazakus or reno, and perhaps you'd be better off playing full on dragon priest or control priest.

The biggest the standard set will ever be will be at the end of next year. Right now we have 2 adventures from 2015 and 1 set from 2015. But starting in 2016 and thereafter, there will be 2 sets and 1 adventure. So next year at the end of the year we'll have 100 or so more cards than we do now because that is roughly the difference between a set and an adventure.

The decks definitely do aim for some level of redundancy, but it's not like there is actually 2 hellfires and 2 felfire potions. There is inconsistency in the deck that would otherwise not be there for sure, that does end up making the deck more unique than typical decks from game to game. Of course renolock draws a lot so that inconsistency isn't as apparently.

The inconsistency is much more apparent when you play reno priest (haven't tried reno mage yet). Without life tap it makes you question whether the inconsistency is even worth kazakus or reno, and perhaps you'd be better off playing full on dragon priest or control priest.
My bad on the numbers. Just talking Renolock, priest and mage sure are more inconsistent. The deck right now has access to a 2, two 3, a 5 and a variable boardwipe. Access to two single target removals,... The only concessions I see for being highlander is playing mere value minions that have little to do with what the deck plans to do, like Imp Gang Boss.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My bad on the numbers. Just talking Renolock, priest and mage sure are more inconsistent. The deck right now has access to a 2, two 3, a 5 and a variable boardwipe. Access to two single target removals,... The only concessions I see for being highlander is playing mere value minions that have little to do with what the deck plans to do, like Imp Gang Boss.

I think playing only one imp gang boss is the concession.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think we have enough data from people submitting their pack opening stats every expansion release that this really won't matter.

EDIT: Yeah I think the data still says roughly Common: 72% Rare: 22% Epic: 5% Legendary: 1% with a 40-pack pity timer for Legendaries.

There's actually pity timers for epics (10 packs) and golden cards of all rarities too. I don't think we know the pity timers for golden epics and golden legendaries because we don't have enough data for it, but they should exist.

inky

China to force online games with loot boxes to publicly announce item drop rates
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323027

I wonder if this will also affect Hearthstone although I think they have already unofficially mentioned the drop rates previously in forum posts.

This is needed everywhere. There's a reason gambling is regulated and one of the most important reasons is so the house doesn't constantly mess with the odds, especially during periods where they expect more customers. Studios like EA mess with the Ultimate Team packs odds all the time, for example, and that shit is fucked up, particularly if your audience is as young as 12 or younger.

Losing to pirate warrior with Shaman feels so bad that's a matchup you should win 9 out of 10 times.

Also patches doubled the chances to get stonetusk boar with maelstrom portal. Just got 2 patches in a single turn lol.

This druid had both swipes in his top 8 cards and I can't roll a single spell damage totem.

Levi

Banned
I played against a Jade Druid deck that suddenly around turn 5 started feeding a C'thun.

Nasty trick.

That just sounds like someone who didn't open enough Jade synergy cards to go full Jade, but still wants to play with the new cards. Trying to power up both Jade and C'thun in the same deck doesn't seem to be a very good strategy, as you can't do either optimally.

For anybody that watched this Chansey Priest video that Kripp made, where he says he "breaks the meta"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKD-qVNBDSk

Well, he didn't. I tried it out. It's basically just Reno Dragon Priest except it has a possible win condition against control and jade golem decks through the combo. It's still very reliant on you getting Reno before you pull off the combo because you can't do the combo if you are too low. So a midrange or aggressive deck can still easily rush you down if you don't draw Reno, and you have to make sure the board is clear around the time you drop him. The combo is going to do 18-22 damage to your own face. So the deck isn't going to be great against everything. I think a Midrange deck can still put enough pressure on you after Reno if you don't have the answers to their board. It's probably not better than just regular Renolock with the Leeroy+PO+Faceless combo.

I've been using this for the past couple of games and I'm doing horrible. I went from 14 to 18, lol. Does this game put you against better people or something when you make a new deck? I was running into non-stop priest all running it and they would always get the combo before me, so I'd lose. Or my Reno would be buried and I'd lose before I could even draw it.

It's a fun deck when it actually works. Maybe it's just bad luck.

gutshot

QT7lIv5.png

Hunter is dead.

wiibomb

I played against a Jade Druid deck that suddenly around turn 5 started feeding a C'thun.

Nasty trick.

I've seen this in a buff warrior deck, they teched in a Fairy Dragon to mess with the opponent, the idea is to force the player into thinking the deck is a Dragon Warrior, may be rush a little to throw a good brawl.

I like the idea of feinting, but I don't know how viable it could be

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That just sounds like someone who didn't open enough Jade synergy cards to go full Jade, but still wants to play with the new cards. Trying to power up both Jade and C'thun in the same deck doesn't seem to be a very good strategy, as you can't do either optimally.

It could be the aviana kun Cthun silliness that some streamers were screwing around with.

Drop aviana into kun into brann Cthun brewmaster. They were just including two dark arrakoas for Cthun buffing.

Pooya

Like how easy it was to avoid this mess with MSG too. Why on earth small time buccaneer isn't a rogue class card in place of all the junk they printed for the class?

of course when you print flame imp for the already broken shaman and warrior, that happens.

Balancing this game isn't exactly rocket science, balance team is completely out of touch. Like they were "scared' of jade rogue the most, you gotta be kidding.

ZealousD

Small-Time Buccaneer would have been fine in a world without Patches. It's the combo of the two that makes the deck powerful.

Either way, I don't think it's actually established that Pirate Warrior is really all that broken yet. The meta is not settled yet and it has counters, so it's not exactly like Midrange Shaman levels of broken where the deck is good against everything. It's a degenerate aggro deck which makes it very attractive for climbing the ladder with, but that doesn't mean it's the best deck.

Pooya

The deck as a whole might not be that good but the opening is very very broken and wins the game by itself. It's more broken and actually consistent unlike mech mage opening. It works almost every time here.

ZealousD

it's not even pirate warrior it's that patches + 2 buccaneers is good enough to run in any aggressive deck that can procure a weapon.

Definitely true. Reynad put out a meta discussion video and he highlighted an aggro shaman list that ran patches, 2x small time buccaneers, and 2x southsea deckhands, and he was using Jade Claws as his second weapon. Hunter might be able to run a similar list with Glaivezooka in wild.

Pooya

yeah. if buccaneer wasn't neutral, you couldn't just stick patches in any deck with a class that has a cheap weapon. The only other decent 1 mana pirate is deckhand which is not good on turn 1.

if warrior didn't have it either, it wouldn't be any where as this broken. Patches could be more reasonable then with less available pirates in opening. You could make a new aggro deck in rogue without buffing every other existing aggro decks.

I'm pretty sure they didn't expect people to play patches in non pirate decks, that's just the red sign that you messed up.

Definitely true. Reynad put out a meta discussion video and he highlighted an aggro shaman list that ran patches, 2x small time buccaneers, and 2x southsea deckhands, and he was using Jade Claws as his second weapon. Hunter might be able to run a similar list with Glaivezooka in wild.

I've tried 2 different versions the kind you describe + 2 Jade Lightnings and one that really just runs these 3 pirates 2 Spirit Claws and 2 Doom Hammers. I liked the latter more.

Finalow

seems like we're going back into the Shamanstone, ayy
probably won't be as bad as before considering how good Renolock is, so at least instead of just one top S++ tier class we'll have two.

ZealousD

I'm pretty sure they didn't expect people to play patches in non pirate decks, that's just the red sign that you messed up.

I said on the review stream that it wouldn't surprise me if you ran patches in decks with as few as 2 or 3 total pirates in your deck. Right now the lowest count I've seen is 4 pirates, but it could be that southsea deckhand just synergizes too well with small-time buccaneer that it never makes sense to cut it. People don't seem to be playing much miracle rogue right now so it'll be interesting to see if miracle rogue ends up playing patches just because of the two swashburglers.

Jrmint

Seriously what do you guys think they will replace Reno with when he phases out?
I honestly wouldn't mind new legendary with exactly the same effect. I don't know how Reno decks will survive without that effect.
It would be great if they would make him permanently standard.

Szadek

Pirats aren't going anyway.
The probably aren't the most op deck ever, but they will still be around in 1 Way or another.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I do have a fear for the Wild format after this release.
It's easy enough to slide in Patches & crew into the Secret Paladin deck that it might finally tip the scales over there into just very, very unfun. I'm not sure what you'd cut, but Wild Paladin definitely has enough weapons to run the Deckhands, Patches, and STBs without much issue. Muster, Coghammer and Trueslivers are pretty much the same loadout as what Pirate warrior runs in Standard (a bit slower though, since Muster is 3 mana).

That said you also have Sludge Belcher in Wild which will certainly slow down any deck of this type over there. Without a silence there is simply no effective way to cut through one of those fatties without expending a ton of cards.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I do have a fear for the Wild format after this release.
It's easy enough to slide in Patches & crew into the Secret Paladin deck that it might finally tip the scales over there into just very, very unfun. I'm not sure what you'd cut, but Wild Paladin definitely has enough weapons to run the Deckhands, Patches, and STBs without much issue. Muster, Coghammer and Trueslivers are pretty much the same loadout as what Pirate warrior runs in Standard (a bit slower though, since Muster is 3 mana).

That said you also have Sludge Belcher in Wild which will certainly slow down any deck of this type over there. Without a silence there is simply no effective way to cut through one of those fatties without expending a ton of cards.

Most secret paladins have no need to be that aggressive. I think it might hurt their consistency.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Seriously what do you guys think they will replace Reno with when he phases out?
I honestly wouldn't mind new legendary with exactly the same effect. I don't know how Reno decks will survive without that effect.
It would be great if they would make him permanently standard.
Sometime that gives 20 armor would be a good direct replacement, but they could just do other dramatic effects. A start of game effect could be good, start the game with 2 or 3 mana if you run no duplicates.

Xanathus

Sometime that gives 20 armor would be a good direct replacement, but they could just do other dramatic effects. A start of game effect could be good, start the game with 2 or 3 mana if you run no duplicates.
Why not make it start the game with 60 health if you run no duplicates while you're at it lol.

f0lken

Good vs Pirate Warrior/Renolock and Jade Druid, and wrecks Dragon Reno Priest. I've been stuck around the 17 Rank because of those damn pirate warrior but I fine tuned this all the way to level 10 :D

And I always seem to missplay dirty rat but I love the card, is a super high skill level card and I am enjoying the shit out of learning to play it

gnah7hB.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Two buccaneers and one southsea deckhand in the aggro jade shaman I'm using and it's still worth for patches. So dumb.

Any class with a low cost weapon basically has access to flame imp with an upside.

Finalow

I like Finders Keepers in aggro Shaman, just now VLPS basically won thanks to it.

the issue is that you have a lot of overload and that point it's probably worth running some Lava Shocks or Sentinels.

Mulgrok

I am thinking that madam goya is good for an n'zoth deck that runs barnes. You don't lose anything by doing it unless the barnes'ed death rattle is great for the situation it was summoned in. Oh ya, and for getting 2 reno/kazakus uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom