• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

So hows the expansion?
If you exclude Patches it's great IMO. Though the Goons mechanic is kind of a flop.

Lots of cool neutral tech cards, options against aggro, more board clears for the 3 Kabal classes. Jade mechanic seems good enough to enable midrange style decks that beat control/Kabal decks. Goon mechanic failing puts Hunter, Paladin and non Patches Warrior in a bad state though. But it might be too early to make that claim, Hunter always finds a way somehow.

Oh and they added Priest to the game.

Expansion is awesome.

But I never have dirty rat to punish willy nilly doomsayer plays in control mirrors, feelsbadman

e:

Reno mirror matches can get pretty crazy. This one was absolutely nuts!

https://hsreplay.net/replay/Ut5KLn2na7xuCzFSSE8Dq8

e2:
Wow my dirty rat had a 3/4 chance to be really good. He had reno, defender of argus, and twilight drake as basically great to pull. Instead I got emperor thaurisan. I am assuming the unrevealed card was power overwhelming, so he could have still combo'd me too.

Mulgrok

Patches should be draw to hand instead of summon to board. People would still play him to thin deck, enable pirate synergy, and ping stuff.

manhack

Put together a janky Reno priest on my F2P EU account. I beat the Dragon OTK priest deck Kripp was playing the other night.

Feels good putting a decent control deck together out of janky cards.

The greatest part. I was getting pissed for not drawing reno for 5 games straight. Turns out I never put him in the deck.

smh

Levi

Banned
The greatest part. I was getting pissed for not drawing reno for 5 games straight. Turns out I never put him in the deck.

smh

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Put together a janky Reno priest on my F2P EU account. I beat the Dragon OTK priest deck Kripp was playing the other night.

Feels good putting a decent control deck together out of janky cards.

smh

Selfavatarquote

I hate this expansion can't find anything to play that's fun, in particular paladin has predictably become worse than it already was.

Renolock is a ton of fun.

I don't think paladin has gotten worse. I just don't think it got significantly better. But finja is surprisingly decent in an anyfin deck. You end up not caring that the second combo is slightly worse because it's usually heavy overkill anyway, and getting finja to summon 2 murlocs from your deck is exceedingly strong. And if finja dies while it trades but the warleader it summons (or both) raises it's health back to positive it stays alive.

I'm also not done counting goons paladin out. I think there is an aggro deck, but I am more interested in midrange or control. And dragon paladin can run wration, which I think was underrated a little bit. Control paladin's match up vs renolock can't be too bad. Their reach is only around 20 damage, and that is with the full combo with emperor having gone off. I'd imagine the real stinker is druid, which is sometimes a pretty popular deck and sometimes not.

Other decks I am enjoying so far:
jade rogue, midrange paladin (still figuring out), combo rogue (I haven't even tried red mana wyrm yet)

I got a ridiculous quest to summon 75 murlocs, but it is worth 100 gold, so I put a murloc goon deck together and while it sucks, I could believe a version of it could be good

Renolock is a ton of fun.

I don't think paladin has gotten worse. I just don't think it got significantly better. But finja is surprisingly decent in an anyfin deck. You end up not caring that the second combo is slightly worse because it's usually heavy overkill anyway, and getting finja to summon 2 murlocs from your deck is exceedingly strong. And if finja dies while it trades but the warleader it summons (or both) raises it's health back to positive it stays alive.

I'm also not done counting goons paladin out. I think there is an aggro deck, but I am more interested in midrange or control. And dragon paladin can run wration, which I think was underrated a little bit. Control paladin's match up vs renolock can't be too bad. Their reach is only around 20 damage, and that is with the full combo with emperor having gone off. I'd imagine the real stinker is druid, which is sometimes a pretty popular deck and sometimes not.

Other decks I am enjoying so far:
jade rogue, midrange paladin (still figuring out), combo rogue (I haven't even tried red mana wyrm yet)

Sylvanas PO / Shadowflame is what kills Control Paladin as does Kazakus, not to mention that the most prolific way to Control with paladin is to smack your face into shit with truesilver which puts you in range again.
I am counting out goons, it gave us burnbristle which I'm happy with though.
Druid is a pain through 3 boardwipes, it's pretty much over if they get to brann + jade or aren't dead by the time they reach 10 mana with a nourish.

Sylvanas PO / Shadowflame is what kills Control Paladin as does Kazakus, not to mention that the most prolific way to Control with paladin is to smack your face into shit with truesilver which puts you in range again.
I am counting out goons, it gave us burnbristle which I'm happy with though.
Druid is a pain through 3 boardwipes, it's pretty much over if they get to brann + jade or aren't dead by the time they reach 10 mana with a nourish.

If you really need to play that aggressive to win, you might as well play aggro rather than control. I'm not convinced it's necessary though. Anyfin is still a heck of a strong finisher.

One card I was using that was quite strong was eadric. That performed really well vs druid.

Pooya

I don't like the set much but it's ok.

jade decks are very one dimensional and boring.

shaman is still shaman.

Warrior has gone from one of the more interesting classes to play to the dumbest face deck ever. Everything else warrior isn't remotely as effective right now.

Rogue decks too are more aggressive now. Anyone that can play pirate package, will play them. It's the strongest auto include neutrals we have had since gvg. Neutral cards weren't supposed to be this good again, small time buccaneer+patches might as well be shredder level OP. We have 3 classes that use them right now, paladin can too but there is just no incentive in playing paladin right now. It could be 4 out of 9 classes, not everyone played shredder either. It's still far too much.

Hunter and paladin are almost extinct, maybe people figure them out but even aggro paladin is too slow to be viable. Mage is just tempo mage still as reno mage isn't beating anything but aggro pretty much.

On positive side, priest exists now. Renolock is a good deck to play if you want some proper gameplay.

We have had worse I guess, it's not bad overall. It's about same as LoE meta last year I guess which was ok.

gutshot

I just played against the first Hunter I've seen since the expansion launched. He conceded on 3 after I Deathed the Hyena he had spent two turns and two Goons cards buffing lol.

I just played against the first Hunter I've seen since the expansion launched. He conceded on 3 after I Deathed the Hyena he had spent two turns and two Goons cards buffing lol.

Priest is my favorite class to play against as goons. It's pretty doable to get a lot of 4 power minions on the board before you lose anyway

Just got killed on turn 3 by a rogue.
Turn 1: swashburglar + patches
Turn 2: counterfeit coin into cold blood on the burglar into coin van cleef (8/8)
Turn 3:sap my 4/5 taunt into second cold blood and prep soulfire from the burglar to finish me off.
Fun and interactive.

norm9

DO you all stick with the same hero, or do you move around to different heroes?

Seems a bit overwhelming to try to manage decks from all the different heroes. And seems simpler to concentrate on one hero.

ETA- I'm realitvely new at this and get annoyed by the amount of choices of cards to put in my deck.

Levi

Banned
DO you all stick with the same hero, or do you move around to different heroes?

It's both important to play a single deck enough that you really know to play it well, and be able to make the read that the deck you're playing isn't good in the current environment and switch.

Right now I found a deck that's really working so I'm going to stick with it until I stall out on climbing the ladder.

3ec6c40d0aadff2a403e035465eca28a.png

If I get stuck in a particular rank for too long I'll probably try something new. Right now the meta changes on a near-daily basis so what's good today might not be good in a few days.

norm9

It's both important to play a single deck enough that you really know to play it well, and be able to make the read that the deck you're playing isn't good in the current environment and switch.

Right now I found a deck that's really working so I'm going to stick with it until I stall out on climbing the ladder.

3ec6c40d0aadff2a403e035465eca28a.png

If I get stuck in a particular rank for too long I'll probably try something new. Right now the meta changes on a near-daily basis so what's good today might not be good in a few days.

Good to know. Guess I'll try rocking a main and a substitute deck. Are they different enough that I need two really different decks?

For instance, I'm doing well with the Warrior hero as he's my highest leveled character. Should I then work on a Shaman or Warlock because they're different than the warrior? (I assume they're way different, just based on the character portraits.)

ETA- is there a chat in this game or just the quick statement thingy. Plus, how would you add friends?

I had two friend requests today. Both were after grueling matches that were very close. And neither of them were rage friend requests.

Must be a game wide record!

I actually ended up queuing into one of them right away as well. Fortunately it wasn't a 27 minute long match like the previous one was.

Also 13-6 with current version of renolock. Turns out dirty rat is actually quite good, and outside of the cheese stuff. In fact, I've had way more whiffs trying to cheese a win than successes anyway. It's often just good on turn 2 against pirates, more so if you pull a minion with 1-2 hp. Sometimes late game midrange/aggressive decks will play whatever minion comes into their hand and they'll only have spells left... so pretty good there too. Quite impressed with it.

Dahbomb

Got my second loss with Renolock today.

I was cruising it against this Paladin. He had Ashbringer and a few minions up. It was a Goons deck and he had no buffed cards in hand. I thought I was safe so I played it greedily to secure the win late game.

He discovers a god damn King Crush(from that Grimestreet Discover card) and lethals me out of nowhere. Feels bad man. I also had 3 board clears in hand plus a Kazakus bomb so it felt extra bad. Can't play around everything man.

It was also really my first "WTF RNG" moment of the expansion thus far. All the others were kinda minor and inconsequential to the game. No one is really playing up the fact that we have a lot less RNG in the game right now. Like I don't remember the last time someone made a giant tirade post here about RNG in the game ruining their experience. Both of the Reno losses were something I could've avoided if I knew my opponent's hand (the other was the Gang Up board, I could've committed to kill the Nzoth but didn't and in this case I didn't clear his two minions).

manhack

meta at rank 7 seems to be mostly renolock and dragon paladin. Pirate warrior nowhere to be seen in over 10 games.

I guess the rush is over? Haven't even seen aggro shaman.

Levi

Banned
Good to know. Guess I'll try rocking a main and a substitute deck. Are they different enough that I need two really different decks?

For instance, I'm doing well with the Warrior hero as he's my highest leveled character. Should I then work on a Shaman or Warlock because they're different than the warrior? (I assume they're way different, just based on the character portraits.)

ETA- is there a chat in this game or just the quick statement thingy. Plus, how would you add friends?

No ingame chat with people you aren't friends with.

You can add the person who you last played or you can add people with their full battlenet id (including the digits). Friend's lists are region specific. I play on all three regions, go ahead and add me Levi#1147.

As far as what classes to play, it's best to figure out what kinds of decks you like to play and pick classes that can accommodate that playstyle.

I think Warlock is a great choice for a beginner player, because you can put together a decent "zoo" deck without having a large collection, and the zoo playstyle stresses Hearthstone fundamentals such as making efficient trades, managing your resources and positioning your minions on board effectively.

Something else that helps is watching pros on Twitch who are playing similar decks, which can help you learn as well. There's also tons of videos on YouTube. Look for Trump's Teachings, those are pretty good as far as Hearthstone fundamentals are concerned.

Check out this beginner's guide as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/4kzpod/hearthstone_beginners_guide_year_of_the_kraken/

Levi

Banned
I'm way ahead of you guys, I hated Priest back when it was "bad".

I actually hate Priest less now that it's good because it's good in a "curvestone" way and that's not really different than any other class.

It's the Thoughtsteal / Entomb / Mind Control greedy Priest that I really really hate.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I actually hate Priest less now that it's good because it's good in a "curvestone" way and that's not really different than any other class.

It's the Thoughtsteal / Entomb / Mind Control greedy Priest that I really really hate.

Unfortunately some decks use those cards and drakonid operative, and even if they don't, you never know until you play into it. At least it seems common at rank 13.

scarlet

Same reasons I hate priest. But now I enjoy using dragon priest.

I hate druid now. Had bad record against them since MSG.

Dahbomb

Jade Druid is my favorite deck right now and it fucking sucks right now.
LOL no it doesn't. Tons of people at high Legend playing that deck.

And Jade Druid isn't refined because a ton of people are still playing the all in Jade variant which is bad. Probably will take a month or more to figure out exactly.

manhack

Jade Druid is my favorite deck right now and it fucking sucks right now.

I played a ton of it the first day or two and like the deck. It's fun to play, but to say it fucking sucks might be a bit too much.

When Jade druid has perfect draws it is the most disgusting deck in the game. Cheat mana, draw entire deck, out value everything, removal, taunts, heals. Druid is the full package.

Dahbomb

I need to make a rant right now.

I didn't lose to an Aggro Shaman (the Jade Pirate variant) but after researching a bit into, trying it in casual and playing against it... we need to talk about it.

Why is a deck like this functionable? It runs pirate weapon synergy. It runs spell damage synergy with Spirit Claws. It runs overload synergy with Trogg. It runs Jades with the weapon and the Lightning spell. It runs Totem synergy with Thing from Below. Why does a deck run that many synergies and doesn't suck ass?

Oh I know why... it's because all of those are blatantly over powered cards. Trogg, Totem Golem, 477? OP. Pirates plus Patches? OP. Spirit Claws with high roll Totem? Stupid and OP. Jade Claws that provide triple synergy with Jades, Pirates and Overload? More OP than I thought it woukd ever be. Thing from Below? That card just keeps getting away with it. And of course the magnum opus, the nerfed Doomhammer Rockbiter combo.

The deck should not work but it does because it's just throwing in all the OP cards in one deck and pointing to face. It's laughable that this is a deck. It's like some mouth breather aggro player's idea of deck building because they are too used to net decking to come up with decks on their own only this time they lucked out and made a real deck out of it. "Let me put all the cancer cards in one deck and point to face.. rank 1 Legend let's go son!"

FeD.nL

That deck is exactly a deck I would've expected to find in Wild 2-3 years from now. Instead because Team 5 doesn't have a clear idea of how to construct a proper block of card sets we're getting shit like that in the first year of standard.

I really wish there would be one person with a clear vision of where classes should end up. Now they're just overcompensating for their fuck-ups and creating more fuck-ups as a result.

I need to make a rant right now.

I didn't lose to an Aggro Shaman (the Jade Pirate variant) but after researching a bit into, trying it in casual and playing against it... we need to talk about it.

Why is a deck like this functionable? It runs pirate weapon synergy. It runs spell damage synergy with Spirit Claws. It runs overload synergy with Trogg. It runs Jades with the weapon and the Lightning spell. It runs Totem synergy with Thing from Below. Why does a deck run that many synergies and doesn't suck ass?

Oh I know why... it's because all of those are blatantly over powered cards. Trogg, Totem Golem, 477? OP. Pirates plus Patches? OP. Spirit Claws with high roll Totem? Stupid and OP. Jade Claws that provide triple synergy with Jades, Pirates and Overload? More OP than I thought it woukd ever be. Thing from Below? That card just keeps getting away with it. And of course the magnum opus, the nerfed Doomhammer Rockbiter combo.

The deck should not work but it does because it's just throwing in all the OP cards in one deck and pointing to face. It's laughable that this is a deck. It's like some mouth breather aggro player's idea of deck building because they are too used to net decking to come up with decks on their own only this time they lucked out and made a real deck out of it. "Let me put all the cancer cards in one deck and point to face.. rank 1 Legend let's go son!"
It's what my decks look like when I don't net deck. :-O

I should craft this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom