• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHinzo

Wow evolve + doppelganger is pretty hilarious
200px-Big-Time_Racketeer%2849625%29.png
x3

Finalow

First snapshot from Tempostorm after the release of Gadgetzan: https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/standard/2016-12-10

Tier 1
Aggro Shaman
Renolock
Pirate Warrior
having aggro pirate Warrior tier 1 makes the list already dumb, because it's not a tier 1 deck. it loses and gets countered easily not only by the actual tier 1 decks but by most of the tier 2 ones too. the fact that recently you barely see it on ladder (>higher ranks) pretty much proves that.
I said dragon Priest was going to be tier 1 when the dragon cards were revealed and I wasn't completely wrong. the only reason it isn't is because Renolock exists.

I expected this expansion to make Evolve Shaman more legit, but I haven't seen any yet.

It's astounding to me that nobody seems concerned with the fact that Druid draws more cards more consistently than fucking Warlock does lol.
Actually, playing Renolock last night, I was consistently surprised at how many decks kept up or surpassed my draw. Though the advantage, of course, is that I didn't have to put any draw cards in my deck.

Finalow

I imagine pirate warrior will be cyclical the less prominent it becomes the more will players cut counters from their deck and then one day, bam! We back in this shit fam.
players won't cut those cards because aggro Shaman is (again) a thing. apparently aggro pirate Rogue is pretty good too, and a better aggro deck than pirate Warrior.
so if they cut those cards they'd just lose more to the actual good aggro decks in the meta.

How is Raza? Necessary for Reno Priest?

I feel so lost in this game right now, but it feels kinda good. It just seems like there's a lot to experiment with.

I keep going back and forth on what I feel like playing or what I should craft.

How is Raza? Necessary for Reno Priest?

I feel so lost in this game right now, but it feels kinda good. It just seems like there's a lot to experiment with.

I keep going back and forth on what I feel like playing or what I should craft.

Raza doesn't really have a downside. At 5/5 for 5 he's good stats and his battlecry only gets better as the game goes on. It's that his Battlecry works on your hero power no matter what, so it costs 0 regardless if you buff it with Justicar, change it with Shadowform or run Finley or something. It allows you to run and play more late-game since you don't have to worry about paying mana to heal.

Patches and Small Time Buccaneer and are just par for the course for Blizzard. They decide they like an archetype so they make overpowered cards until it floods the ladder. It's nothing new.

Like, you can't even remotely argue that either card is balanced when both of them are being run in Shaman which hasn't gotten a single pirate card in the history of Heathstone. They're both broken, they should both be nerfed. It's simple.

To be honest, they should have just made Small-Time Buccaneer into a Rogue card. It fits the whole Pirate Rogue theme they were pushing, and it's a really strong 1 drop for the class as well. Plus, it has great synergy with the hero power. Why they made this neutral is beyond me, but Blizz gonna Blizz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Small-Time Buccaneer is not the problem. It's like Cogmaster, which as far as aggressive 1 drops go is probably the most well designed aggressive 1 drop in the game. You can kill the thing easily enough and it caps out at 3 attack so it can't balloon into some obscene thing. I mean, sure, it's strong, but it's hardly unacceptable and is not even in the running for the most overpowered card in the history of hearthstone.

This is all on Patches.

Small-Time Buccaneer is not the problem. It's like Cogmaster, which as far as aggressive 1 drops go is probably the most well designed aggressive 1 drop in the game. You can kill the thing easily enough and it caps out at 3 attack so it can't balloon into some obscene thing. I mean, sure, it's strong, but it's hardly unacceptable and is not even in the running for the most overpowered card in the history of hearthstone.

This is all on Patches.
without small time buccaneer patches would require actual deck building concessions. On its own they'd be fine but patches and buc feed off each other in a way they can be included in any weapon class.

ZealousD

without small time buccaneer patches would require actual deck building concessions. On its own they'd be fine but patches and buc feed off each other in a way they can be included in any weapon class.

Small-Time Buccaneer can't be included in every weapon class. It's still very poor in Hunter and Paladin. You need several enablers for Small-Time Buccaneer, and you need fewer enablers for Patches.

Small-Time Buccaneer can't be included in every weapon class. It's still very poor in Hunter and Paladin. You need several enablers for Small-Time Buccaneer, and you need fewer enablers for Patches.

Agreed on that. However, it helps make the decks that CAN run it have an even more powerful opener. Hell, even miracle rogue has a broken opener thanks to the combination of Patches, Small-Time Buccaneer, and Swashburglar. The synergy is that good. While it is not that easy to activate, it gives these aggro decks even more consistency.

You would have a point if Hunter or Paladin played Patches w/o Buc but okay PPP can be included in any weapon class that got cheap weapons.

Okay I decided to go through my cards and disenchant epics/legendaries that never get used and that plus the dust I had stockpiled was enough to craft Patches, Raza, and Kazakus. I look forward to messing around with funny Reno-priest decks now, and if I need to farm some wins I can use Pirate Warrior until I get refunded Patches. It is pretty absurd how often the deck can win on Turn 5 before Reno enters the equation.

I'm glad when I lose though because then I know it's beatable but it's also crazy how many of my losses are usually within 1-5 life of victory, so one bad turn or missed card can make the difference on either side (usually it's having ooze).

Dahbomb

PPP can easily be played in Paladin. They have 3 early game weapons. Light's Justice, Argent Lance and Divine Blade. That plus Truesilver puts Paladin weapons about the same as in Pirate Warriod. Paladin weapons just can't be buffed that easily and they seem more geared towards board control than face.

ZealousD

You would have a point if Hunter or Paladin played Patches w/o Buc but okay PPP can be included in any weapon class that got cheap weapons.

If it weren't for STB, we'd be having this same conversation but we would be complaining about how insane N'Zoth's First Mate is, or how insane the regular Buccaneer is. These decks would still be competitive. We just wouldn't be seeing Patches in Shaman.

I understand your point as to how STB enables the pirate package in classes that historically haven't used that package. But my concern is that I just don't think STB is worthy of being nerfed. I think it's a well designed card as far as aggressive 1-drops go. Patches does the stuff that's broken and unacceptable.

About that.

Just because you see people experimenting with PPP in Paladin doesn't mean it's good.

Dahbomb

STB is a bit over the power curve. Feels far more like a class card than a neutral card.

Then again we had Cogmaster in GvG. STB feels like a card they would print in GvG but not after that. I guess they didn't learn their lessons.

That's one of those card I would not bring out my pitchfork to nerf. I would rather get Patches nerfed and see where things fall from there. I would still expect that card to see play but in the Pirate classes. If it still saw play in Aggro Shaman (and aggro decks were still on top because of that card) then we might have a problem.

If it weren't for STB, we'd be having this same conversation but we would be complaining about how insane N'Zoth's First Mate is, or how insane the regular Buccaneer is. These decks would still be competitive. We just wouldn't be seeing Patches in Shaman.

I understand your point as to how STB enables the pirate package in classes that historically haven't used that package. But my concern is that I just don't think STB is worthy of being nerfed. I think it's a well designed card as far as aggressive 1-drops go. Patches does the stuff that's broken and unacceptable.

I never said I want it nerfed and we already had that discussion on NZoth's first mate. It's a -1 muster for 1, what else is there to say about that?
My whole point was that Buc makes patches includable in more than Pirate Warrior.

ZealousD

STB is a bit over the power curve. Feels far more like a class card than a neutral card.

I think STB is pretty close to Southsea Deckhand on the power curve. What's the stronger card, Bloodfen Raptor or Bluegill Warrior? They're pretty close.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf is PPP? I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what that could stand for in terms of the previous discussion?

Patches? Why would you abbreviate it that way? PPP is longer to say than Patches, and there aren't 3 Ps in it anyhow.

Is it some kind of "build order" code, where you run 3x Pirates? That's dumb too, 3 isn't enough to reliably trigger anything even if the 3 are STB and Patches. Waste of a slot, unless you're running other 1 drops and are trying to be an aggro deck.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That's a terrible abbreviation. Was that started by some meme-lord streamer? It tells you nothing. I've already forgotten what it stands for.

I mean you can just say they run "Patches & co" with the same amount of syllables and conveys more information. Everyone who is paying attention should know that means STB, Deckhand and/or Raider. Convey meaning and info with your words not memes.

That's a terrible abbreviation. Was that started by some meme-lord streamer? It tells you nothing. I've already forgotten what it stands for.

I mean you can just say they run "Patches & co" with the same amount of syllables and conveys more information. Everyone who is paying attention should know that means STB, Deckhand and/or Raider. Convey meaning and info with your words not memes.
Yeah I was about to say Miracle Rogue now runs Counterfeit Coin and the Pirate Patches Package for degenerate early game.

I should just abbreviate the Pirate Package with Patches to PPP. Because we are going to be seeing it a lot.

Way faster to type though breh.

Raza doesn't really have a downside. At 5/5 for 5 he's good stats and his battlecry only gets better as the game goes on. It's that his Battlecry works on your hero power no matter what, so it costs 0 regardless if you buff it with Justicar, change it with Shadowform or run Finley or something. It allows you to run and play more late-game since you don't have to worry about paying mana to heal.

IMO Raza is auto-include.
Shit, alright. I guess if I get bored with Dragon Priest I might craft Raza.

Dahbomb

PPP = Patches w/ Pirate Package

Was tired of typing out Patches with Small Time Bucaneers, Southseas Deckhand and other pirates like Nzoth's First Mate every time I wanted to complain about it.

I should go even deeper and call it P3.

Man, struggling with Renolock in Wild. :(

Karsticles said:
I know most folks here play Standard, but is anyone having Renolock success in Wild?
Should give list, rank and what decks you are losing against.

ZealousD

Shouldn't Renolock have pretty good success in wild with Antique Healbot?

Or is Secret Paladin just too hard of a counter?

Dahbomb

Shouldn't Renolock have pretty good success in wild with Antique Healbot?

Or is Secret Paladin just too hard of a counter?
It's just harder to control the board with higher number of deathrattles, weirder decks that make it difficult to plan ahead and more natural counters exist in Wild against Renolock. Remember they still have Mad Scientist and Unbalanced Esportal in Wild Tempo Mage.

It's just harder to control the board with higher number of deathrattles, weirder decks that make it difficult to plan ahead and more natural counters exist in Wild against Renolock. Remember they still have Mad Scientist and Unbalanced Esportal in Wild Tempo Mage.
The reason I still play the shit out of Wild.
Actually, it's Pirate Warrior that's tearing up Wild. I'm dying on turn 5 in most cases even when I get ideal anti-aggro hands.
Are they running the same decks as standard?

Shinypogs

Lost a game because I forgot Jaraxxus had a weapon since I don't own him and discovered him off a kabal card. On one hand I was pissed that that avianna plus some stuff and brann + 18/18 c'thun wrecked me in one turn from a perfectly fine position. On the other hand I had the game won the turn before and I fucked up by forgetting about the weapon and playing something else thinking it was the better choice. Only after I ended the turn did I remember he had a weapon.

Still it's refreshing to be playing a new deck even if I'm back to losing more than I win for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom