• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about that. It still seems to be more of a combo deck, based on its win rates versus the control decks. Especially when you compare that with the win rates of the true aggro decks versus those same control decks.

It may have Patches in it now, but I don't think you can call it aggro.
it's both.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Y-3lCBQ6w

Kibler playing Reno Priest against C'Thun Zoo. Even a pro like Kibler will ignore the Kazakus 1-cost option against an aggressive deck. It probably lost him the game because he lost tempo by needing to use the shadowform to proc the pyromancer and when he finally used the 5-cost spell later in the game it didn't save him. If he had picked up the 1-cost he might have killed the councilman much earlier.

Pooya

Rogue is now much more all in and aggressive. You don't even need gadgetzan in good chunk of games because you just win or lose before it's a factor. Actually best list right now doesn't have any conceals either.

Levi

Banned
I'm not sure about that. It still seems to be more of a combo deck, based on its win rates versus the control decks. Especially when you compare that with the win rates of the true aggro decks versus those same control decks.

It may have Patches in it now, but I don't think you can call it aggro.

Most decks in Hearthstone don't fit neatly into a single slot -- we all just kind of agree to call a deck "Tempo Warrior" when it's mostly a midrange deck, or we call very aggressive builds of Shaman "midrange" because they are a little slower than the deck we've decided is the canonical "aggro Shaman" build.

It's tilting at windmills to try and ask for accuracy in deck names in Hearthstone.

Kibler playing Reno Priest against C'Thun Zoo. Even a pro like Kibler will ignore the Kazakus 1-cost option against an aggressive deck.

Let's be honest, no one is looking to Kibler to see high-level competitive play in Hearthstone. He's obviously a talented guy but it's also obvious that his priority in Hearthstone is as an entertainer.

I really don't know how the hell non-aggro Shaman is going to survive the next set rotation with as many board clears as there are now. Class is going to be back in the basement.

Even right now, Renolock alone makes midrange Shaman not worth playing.

You can't say that Shaman is going to be in the basement when we haven't seen the new cards they're going to get. My Shaman list is barely running any cards that will be rotated, and if they print a couple of good replacements I don't think that particular deck will miss a beat.

Midrange Shaman is actually doing very well against Renolock according to the Vicious Syndicate data reaper, with the only two decks having a better winrate against Renolock being Reno Priest and the Jade variant of midrange Shaman.

My list.

ZealousD

Let's be honest, no one is looking to Kibler to see high-level competitive play in Hearthstone. He's obviously a talented guy but it's also obvious that his priority in Hearthstone is as an entertainer.

Kibler doesn't compete but that doesn't mean he's bad or that it should be expected that he should make mistakes like this. He just plays decks he likes. He still plays at a pro level even if he doesn't desire to compete. He lives and breathes card games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
okay, it's time to do this thing

Patches or Aya?

Patches, right?

I don't have leeroy as a finisher for aggro, though I could use a replacement I guess

Dahbomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Y-3lCBQ6w

Kibler playing Reno Priest against C'Thun Zoo. Even a pro like Kibler will ignore the Kazakus 1-cost option against an aggressive deck. It probably lost him the game because he lost tempo by needing to use the shadowform to proc the pyromancer and when he finally used the 5-cost spell later in the game it didn't save him. If he had picked up the 1-cost he might have killed the councilman much earlier.
I can show countless examples of people not using Kazakus optimally including myself. It's going to take a lot of play to best use the card, hence the high skill cap.

You craft Patches because it has the highest chance of being nerfed in the future for a refund.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, how the hell would you change it without essentially deleting the card? Cost is irrelevant with it and it's already a 1/1. If you remove the legendary effect it's arguably not even a legendary at that point because it will be so weak. I guess you could remove charge but that seems like the same problem.

Levi

Banned
Blizzard has been trying to get Patches into the game since he was originally designed for The Grand Tournament.

Skycap'n Kragg originally had Patches text but was changed before release because the Ships Cannon synergy was deemed game-breaking.

Ben Brode has talked about the "legendary TGT pirate" that they couldn't print until Standard a few times, including on his Twitch channel.

I really don't think Blizzard is going to back down on this card anytime soon, since they've been talking it up since TGT and saw fit to make it one of the first big cards they revealed for MSG.

It might get nerfed someday, but I am certain it will not be changed before the next rotation.

gutshot

I like how aggro decks get one overpowered card and everyone loses their shit. Why can't aggro decks have some good stuff sometimes? We just got out of meta where aggro basically didn't exist. I'm glad a few good ole fashioned face decks are back in the meta.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
rFKNAzm.jpg

This deck is too fun.

I like how aggro decks get one overpowered card and everyone loses their shit. Why can't aggro decks have some good stuff sometimes? We just got out of meta where aggro basically didn't exist. I'm glad a few good ole fashioned face decks are back in the meta.
And before that Aggro Shaman and Dragon Warrior lead the meta respectively. Rockbiter ended up nerfed because of it.

I played plenty of secret hunters that could be rightly identified as aggro, and aggro shaman, and beast druid, and dragon warrior...

I think aggro is a bit too good at the moment. But it's also not due to a single card.

Kazakus seems like a situational card. I usually find myself playing it when it benefits me.

Unless you need the instant play. 5 mana seems the safest pick to make

Got a golden Auctionmaster Beardo. Is it useful anywhere? May just dust it to craft Rag/Sylvanas.

Had an interesting mechanic happen during an Anyfin mirror. Opponent did Wild Pyro+Equality, but I had two Warleaders and their passives kept them at 2 HP when the Pyro passive occurred, so they survived. Opponent was forced to use Consecration afterwards to kill them.

I ended up winning that game by playing Anyfin first on a mostly empty board. I got 6 Murlocs and 20 damage; not enough for lethal, but since I also had >20 HP my opponent wasn't able to win with his own Anyfin.

Just reached rank 5 in wild with this deck

Usually ended up outracing pirate warrior. The PPP provides so much value in getting minions on board activating avenge and other draws. It even protects Secret Keeper by soaking up early removal. 2 Musters, a Coghammer and 2 Truesilvers were enough to semi consistently activate Buc if they lived. Divine Favor just disgusting with how fast you empty your hand.

ZealousD

Got a golden Auctionmaster Beardo. Is it useful anywhere?

Reno Shadowpriest can use Beardo. Also the 35 legendary deck, if that's your jam.

Usually ended up outracing pirate warrior. The PPP provides so much value in getting minions on board activating avenge and other draws. It even protects Secret Keeper by soaking up early removal. 2 Musters, a Coghammer and 2 Truesilvers were enough to semi consistently activate Buc if they lived. Divine Favor just disgusting with how fast you empty your hand.

Wouldn't you rather have Loatheb over Wickerflame in this deck?

Hi, I have "observe a friend win" and "challenge a friend" -quests I'd like to complete, but current friends are not HS players or are offline.

edit, removed my tag: nvm, got it. Thanks for help :)

Every arena run there is always that 1 game where you draw so bad it's embarassing. 15 cards 3 cost and under and I didn't draw a single 1 til turn 5.

edit:
Hmm, then I get my first dupe MSG legendary... the luck...

wiibomb

Got a golden Auctionmaster Beardo. Is it useful anywhere? May just dust it to craft Rag/Sylvanas.

Had an interesting mechanic happen during an Anyfin mirror. Opponent did Wild Pyro+Equality, but I had two Warleaders and their passives kept them at 2 HP when the Pyro passive occurred, so they survived. Opponent was forced to use Consecration afterwards to kill them.

I ended up winning that game by playing Anyfin first on a mostly empty board. I got 6 Murlocs and 20 damage; not enough for lethal, but since I also had >20 HP my opponent wasn't able to win with his own Anyfin.

I remember people saying it could be used in a shadowform reno priest, because it can be combined with Raza The Chained.

I got both and I still haven't tried that shadowform reno priest.

Every arena run there is always that 1 game where you draw so bad it's embarassing. 15 cards 3 cost and under and I didn't draw a single 1 til turn 5.

edit:
Hmm, then I get my first dupe MSG legendary... the luck...

my third legendary was a dupe... I got pretty mad..

which one was yours?

Levi

Banned
I've pulled Madame Goya and Krul twice but since I have most of the MSG legendaries at this point dupes were inevitable, and my second Krul was golden so it was a very welcome dupe anyway.

wiibomb

just discovered a Brann, a Sylvannas and Ragnaros in my opponents Priest Dragon deck

I love this card so much. The bad is it feeds my greed and I usually pick the highest value minion or card instead of the best for the situation

Dahbomb

The maximum cancer.

Just played against a control warrior with my heavily WIP reno priest. Trying out nat pagle and he draws me so many cards. Then later gets resurrected by kazakus potion and mills entomb and raza. I somehow ended up winning cause my idiot opponent was bad. There is no way I should have won that game.

I did manage to dirty rat and shadow word death his ragnaros... so there was that.

my third legendary was a dupe... I got pretty mad..

which one was yours?

Aya, I crafted it early on. Mostly annoyed about the draw then the legendary.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Just played against a control warrior with my heavily WIP reno priest. Trying out nat pagle and he draws me so many cards. Then later gets resurrected by kazakus potion and mills entomb and raza. I somehow ended up winning cause my idiot opponent was bad. There is no way I should have won that game.

I did manage to dirty rat and shadow word death his ragnaros... so there was that.

Ok let's rap on Reno priest. I've been running it for a few days and here's my WIP list (based mostly off Savjz's list). I'll go over what I think sucks about it (a few things) and what I like right (everything else) after:

Northshire Cleric
Pint-Size Potion
PW:S
Twilight Whelp
Acidic Swamp Ooze (tech choice)
Dirty Rat
Doomsayer
Netherspite Historian
Auctioneer Beardo
Brann Bronzebeard
Shadowform
SW:p
Kabal Talonpriest
SW:D
Kabal Chemist
Kazakus
Twilight Guardian
Azure Drake
Blackwing Corruptor
Drakonid Operative (OP OP)
Holy Nova
Kabal Songstealer
Raza The Chained (MVP)
Book Wyrm
Cabal Shadowpriest
Dragonfire Potion
Entomb
Reno Jackson
Chillmaw
Ysera

Dislikes:
Beardo and Shadowform. I'm not really liking how infrequently they show up and the lack of options before you get Shadowform is annoying. I think I tried too much to straddle the line between combo and nomal control and it doesn't work. I'm thinking cut both of them for something else like maybe Wyrmrest Agent (a card I hate because its stats blow without the dragon activation) or MCT or something.

The deck feels like it could use 1 more big threat maybe Ragnaros? Not sure what to cut for it though as I already frequently pass the first 3 turns. Maybe remove the Cabal Shadowpriest and put it in.

I also feel like I should be running Priest of the Feast, but I don't feel like there are enough spells to be worth it atm.

Everything else. Raza is awesome. Kabal Songstealer is surprisingly useful. That silence does so much work against taunts (allowing you to actually pressure the opponent while always healing yourself) and buffed up minions (suck it Goons!). Pint-size potion is actually quite useful but I might cut it if I take out Cabal Shadowpriest. Getting a better minion is awesome or just using it to make really favorable trades is ok, but it feels dead just a bit more often than I'd like. Still a fun card to have though.

Pooya

Other reno decks don't have a real win condition, they just beat aggro and nothing else. Until someone figures it how you actually consistently win with Reno mage or priest against midrange or else, then they're not very good.

Priest is still better than mage if you build a shadow priest deck and with 0 mana 2 damage every turn win board and win the game but it's very hard to actually do it.

Mage has nothing really. You can't build a burn reno deck.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Other reno decks don't have a real win condition, they just beat aggro and nothing else. Until someone figures it how you actually consistently win with Reno mage or priest against midrange or else, then they're not very good.

Priest is still better than mage if you build a shadow priest deck and with 0 mana 2 damage every turn win board and win the game but it's very hard to actually do it.

Mage has nothing really. You can't build a burn reno deck.

That's why I wish Rhonin was a battlecry instead of deathrattle. Those 3 arcane missiles can do a lot of work with Antonitis, Flamewaker, or Malygos as a finisher.

Unfortunately it's just so slow and unreliable as a deathrattle, and burn reno decks with alexstrasza is the best we have.

I'm trying to make a non-dragon reno priest deck, even though dragons are looking stronger at at first.

This is my current list:
VNhXsCB.png

I just had a pretty convincing win against midrange shaman with it. Kazakus got me a 10 mana potion with 6 damage AOE and draw 3 cards. Even though I had no board presence, it slowed him down enough to win the game comfortably. I never had to use reno and I even had pint size potion + cabal shadow priest to basically steal any minion he had coming. I used dirty rat to pull his thunderbluff valiant and nuke it with pain before he could get any value off it.

e:
I'm actually 5-1 overall but I'm not playing meta decks in casual either. I've only played 1 game with the latest list, which I feel has gotten stronger over previous lists.

wiibomb

I got a list of Legendaries from this expansion I think I should be crafting as they are must have, what do you all think?

Must have:
Inkmaster Solia
Hobbart Grapplehammer
Aya Blackpaw
Raza The Chained
Patches The Pirate
Wickerflame Burnbristle
Wrathion
Kazakus
Don Han Cho
Kun The Forgotten King
White Eyes

Not necessary/Bad:
Shaku The Collector
Auctionmaster Beardo
Krul the Unchained
Finja, The Flying Star
Knucles
Sergeant Sally
Mayor Noggenfogger
Genzo The Shark

I'm not sure about Wrathion, but it has been preeety good when I used it.

Aya, I crafted it early on. Mostly annoyed about the draw then the legendary.

getting so much cards from nat paggle is probably a huge misplay from your opponent, card draw is pretty impactful in the game and nat can be very easily gotten rid. I don't think the opponent played that well if he let that card live for so long

at least you didn't get both legendaries from opening packs, I got mine just after I openened the first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom