• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Sjow punished for not playing Dirty Rat (the god) and his opponent playing Dirty Rat on him to get that Kazakus out.

Best card ever. Highest skill cap card in the game alongside Kazakus.

Dahbomb

What's the skill cap with Kazakus?
Knowing when to pick 1/5/10 spells in certain match ups and situations. New players ignore the 1 mana option against fast decks when it's actually super efficient. Then some players go max greed with the 10 option while others always pick the 5. I myself am in the always pick 5 category (almost always) and am working to improve that.

Beyond that knowing which discovers to pick based on the situations. Sometimes it's obvious you need the board clear but getting damage plus demon summon is really nice if you need to play for tempo. The resummon minion option is very good too but now you need to keep track of what died in the game which is something Warlocks never had to do before. The transform minions to sheep is also a relevant spell to choose for removal.

Then when to actually play Kazakus and when to keep/mulligan him. Hell when do you keep him for Brann vs using him earlier.

In addition, you have to know about spell interactions and order which a lot of people still don't know. So you can still mess if you don't know which spell triggers first.

And hardly anyone knows the odds of these options. It's going to take months before people play Kazakus optimally and once we have gathered all the data on it. I think getting AOE clear on the 1 mana option is 50% but what's the odd of getting 2 damage AOE AND 4 armor?

Like people used to Discover is a skill intensive mechanic when it first came out. Kazakus is literally triple that and because it selects from a pool of fairly limited spells.. you can actually try to guess the odds rather than try to get X card from random class or minion discover that those other Discover cards have.

I haven't played a *ton* since MSOG came out, but I really don't think Patches needs a nerf. Yes, he's powerful compared to, say, Wisp and Stonetusk Boar, but those cards pretty much suck. Yes, Patches is "free" if you don't have him in hand and play a pirate. Yet his impact isn't much more impressive than the previously mentioned Wisp or Boar. He usually does a few damage at most and it's very weak otherwise.

The reason he's so used is because it's "free" value and damage. But you need to use pirates to make him any good. IMO, the "problem" is that pirates are better than ever.

Small-time Buccaneer is a great aggro card, especially when combined with:

N'zoths First Mate, which synergizes well with Upgrade and...:

Bloodsail Cultists and Captain Greenskin, which also works well with Fiery War Axe and Arcanite Reaper.

Since you will almost always have an upgraded weapon in hand, Bloodsail Raider is a great aggro card now too.

All of these pirates are now so good that aggro decks don't even run Southsea Captain anymore because it's not as impactful.

The problem is that the Pirate tag is now too consistent and powerful, so what should be a restriction for Patches -- building a deck with many pirates -- isn't a detriment at all. And unlike with something like Murlocs or Beasts, it's not even that they synergize with each other exceptionally well (although they do with the *deck*). It's that they are good on their own and all contribute to an aggro game plan on their own.

Patches is just icing on the pirate cake, not the actual substance of the issue.

IMO, of course.

I really don't know how the hell non-aggro Shaman is going to survive the next set rotation with as many board clears as there are now. Class is going to be back in the basement.

Even right now, Renolock alone makes midrange Shaman not worth playing.

ZeroX03

Banned
Got the play 20 taunt minions quest, so I'm playing Taunt Warrior. Terrible deck, but it's free wins against Pirate Warrior. Having a 5/8 Dirty Rat on turn 2 kind of kills their momentum.

manhack

I stand by the fact that Jade Druid curving/lucking out is the most disgusting thing in the game.

Will be interesting to see how popular they actually become after the meta settles in.

FeD.nL

Even though we have Jade Druid, I'm glad Aviana/Kun/C'thun is a thing. Most fun I've had with Hearthstone in quite some time, even though I think there are some huge fuck-ups this expansion.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Havent had the chance to play since release day, whats the state of Rogue?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
better, aggro shaman is easier to deal with for rogue than pirate warrior imo and there's an aggro miracoli variant now as well.

SMH SMH
The good thing is that Rogue is (HAS) gonna get good cards on the next expansion just like Blizz did with Paladin, Shaman and Priest when they needed it.

SMH SMH
The good thing is that Rogue is (HAS) gonna get good cards on the next expansion just like Blizz did with Paladin, Shaman and Priest when they needed it.

It just turns out cold blood on a free stonetusk boar is not the worst.

Also figures that I'd run into pirate warriors right away after saying they are worse than shaman for rogue.

Fersis

Can't wait till Reno gets shipped to Wild...

So only aggro decks are viable?
I think that Reno should be moved to the basic set so its always available.
Antique Healbot should also be part of the basic set.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Knowing when to pick 1/5/10 spells in certain match ups and situations. New players ignore the 1 mana option against fast decks when it's actually super efficient. Then some players go max greed with the 10 option while others always pick the 5. I myself am in the always pick 5 category (almost always) and am working to improve that.

1 mana: You need to effect the game immediately because your opponent is putting pressure on you and you don't have any other options.

5 mana: You pick this one when you want to fill in your curve. Better when you play Kazakus early and you aren't feeling serious pressure.

10 mana: You need strong value against a deck in the late game.

Levi

Banned
I just got memed by a garbage combo from a garbage priest.

Everyone bitches about Patches but Anduin is the real enemy. They should just admit they were wrong and delete the whole class.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/fkHYzgrdAj9Q4ZCagq5wkC

EDIT: And no, Reno shouldn't be added to the basic set. The whole point of rotation is that we DON'T have to play as and against the same decks for all eternity. If anything, more cards should be rotated, not fewer.

wiibomb

So only aggro decks are viable?
I think that Reno should be moved to the basic set so its always available.
Antique Healbot should also be part of the basic set.

they already said that antique healbot is not good for their plans as it adds a neutral healing to all classes, which is something the dev team wants to limit on some classes, like rogue, that card will remain on wild forever.

Reno I feel will be on kind of a same place as AH since it add healing to all clases, what is limiting it is the condition. I don't think we will see it added to the classic set, I would love it, but it seems like it won't be

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Echoing what ZealousD said, my guide to picking Kazakus potions goes like this:
  • 1 mana: When getting pressured by aggro or other aggressive decks. Pick this to play immediately or along with other cards next turn.
  • 5 mana: mostly when trying to curve out with good effects.
  • 10 mana: The game is going to go long a d you need as much value as possible or need reach to burst down an opponent.

That's pretty much it. Note that burst is really important in the mirror matches as they will also have Reno and being able to kill them from a surprisingly high health total will get you wins that you might not otherwise get (suck it Renolock that I bursted down for 17 as a Priest).

Strider

I don't understand why the "patches" even needed to be included in the title of a pirates package as if a deck running any pirates would ever not include it... You really need to specify the most OP pirate card is in your pirates package? lol It goes without saying...

gutshot

vS Data Reaper Live has been updated with actual decks, not just class win rates. Top three decks in the game are Aggro Shaman, Pirate Warrior and, surprisingly, Miracle Rogue.

TsoAHHL.png

Miracle Rogue was doing very well after WotOG, too. I think it might just be a deck that flourishes when people are experimenting because it's so finely tuned. I doubt it will stay on top.

Q8D3vil

Antique healbot shouldnt be available to all classes tbh, and lol at people bitching about otk priest.
Druid kun cthun otk is the best otk deck right now, wouldnt be surprise if it even saw tournament play.

Dahbomb

So discover is a skill cap now?

Jade has all but dried up for me. Nothing but Reno mirrors, dragons and the occasional Pirate deck.
Discover always had skill involved. You had a choice to make and experienced players would make better choice. More skill than say playing Buccaneers and getting a random class card.

And MSG Miracle Rogue is just Aggro Rogue with Gadgetan. So that's three PPP decks on top, four if you include Dragon Warrior.

gutshot

Discover always had skill involved. You had a choice to make and experienced players would make better choice. More skill than say playing Buccaneers and getting a random class card.

And MSG Miracle Rogue is just Aggro Rogue with Gadgetan. So that's three PPP decks on top, four if you include Dragon Warrior.

I'm not sure about that. It still seems to be more of a combo deck, based on its win rates versus the control decks. Especially when you compare that with the win rates of the true aggro decks versus those same control decks.

It may have Patches in it now, but I don't think you can call it aggro.

Dahbomb

It can play like Aggro (aka have an aggressive start and finish the game fast) and play like Combo when the situation arises. That's what makes the deck good, if it played just like previous Miracoli it would not be good because of all the other aggro decks out there.

Have had "Miracle" Rogue do turn 1 Bucaneer into coin Cold Blood on Patches for uncontested 5 damage at start of the game. Couldn't kill the Patches on turn 1 then took 9 damage the following turn. So half life removed on turn 2.... LMAO!

Counters always existed to Renolock. Look at the match ups, has it losing against Tempo Mage and Midrange Hunter. Where are all these Tempo Mages and Hunters to counter all the Renolocks? Oh that's right they can't play PPP as well so they get rushed down by other PPP decks. That would have happened to old Miracoli Rogue as well in this meta.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Everybody was complaining about Jade Druid at the start of the expansion, but it looks like it's underperforming against everything but Reno Priest and Reno Mage.

Levi

Banned
As I suspected, Jade Midrange Shaman is doing very well against many of the most popular decks: Pirate Warrior, Aggro Shaman, Reno Warlock, Miracle Rogue. If you wanna beat those decks, check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom