• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting so much cards from nat paggle is probably a huge misplay from your opponent, card draw is pretty impactful in the game and nat can be very easily gotten rid. I don't think the opponent played that well if he let that card live for so long

at least you didn't get both legendaries from opening packs, I got mine just after I openened the first...

4 health minion can be very tough to deal with for a control warrior. Then I dropped power word shield on it. So at first he wanted to get rid of it. But after a couple draws off it, it can be awkward to play efficiently as the priest. These games almost always go to fatigue, so drawing too many can be a big deal. And then overdrawing and losing a powerful card like entomb should have let the warrior win. He was also running elise and I was not. He was running actual late game (ysera iirc) and my biggest late game threat was medievh at that point. Plus I was like 5-6 cards ahead in draw... should've been easy for the warrior to win with that fatigue advantage.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to make a non-dragon reno priest deck, even though dragons are looking stronger at at first.

This is my current list:
SNIP

I just had a pretty convincing win against midrange shaman with it. Kazakus got me a 10 mana potion with 6 damage AOE and draw 3 cards. Even though I had no board presence, it slowed him down enough to win the game comfortably. I never had to use reno and I even had pint size potion + cabal shadow priest to basically steal any minion he had coming. I used dirty rat to pull his thunderbluff valiant and nuke it with pain before he could get any value off it.

e:
I'm actually 5-1 overall but I'm not playing meta decks in casual either. I've only played 1 game with the latest list, which I feel has gotten stronger over previous lists.

Hm. Maybe I should ditch the dragons and go with something like this. Though you aren't running Priest of the Funnel cakes either. Maybe I'm just seeing a lot more aggro on ladder than you aren.

Hm. Maybe I should ditch the dragons and go with something like this. Though you aren't running Priest of the Funnel cakes either. Maybe I'm just seeing a lot more aggro on ladder than you aren.

Priest of the feast is a great card, I just haven't included it yet because I think it's easy to overcommit your deck against aggro with priest. And in reno in particular it can be difficult to include enough cheap spells to justify things like wild pyro and priest of the feast. That is my reasoning so far at least.

I don't think it's worth cutting doomsayer, the most defensive 2 drop. Or even acidic swamp ooze, the second most defensive 2 drop. I could cut elise if elise ends up being bad in the list. I just haven't tried her enough to make that decision.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just played against a control warrior with my heavily WIP reno priest. Trying out nat pagle and he draws me so many cards. Then later gets resurrected by kazakus potion and mills entomb and raza. I somehow ended up winning cause my idiot opponent was bad. There is no way I should have won that game.

I did manage to dirty rat and shadow word death his ragnaros... so there was that.

Aya, I crafted it early on. Mostly annoyed about the draw then the legendary.

I guess I wasn't the only one to think of trying nat pagle in priest. He's still in my dragon deck since i'm not a huge fan of northshire cleric for card draw, but couldn't quite keep enough board control for him in reno priest.

How is Medihv working out for you in reno priest? I've mostly been trying to do garrison commander + inspire version for my late game, but it's been underwhelming most of the time.

lol... turn 1 nat pagle, turn 2 dirty rat pulls van cleef = rogue concedes

I guess I wasn't the only one to think of trying nat pagle in priest. He's still in my dragon deck since i'm not a huge fan of northshire cleric for card draw, but couldn't quite keep enough board control for him in reno priest.

How is Medihv working out for you in reno priest? I've mostly been trying to do garrison commander + inspire version for my late game, but it's been underwhelming most of the time.

I like mediev so far. There is a ton of value out of him.

Even getting a bolf it was a 7/7 + a 3/9 or whatever from 1 card. Not counting the usage of the 2 other charges.

Levi

Banned
I got a list of Legendaries from this expansion I think I should be crafting as they are must have, what do you all think?

Must have:
Inkmaster Solia no
Hobbart Grapplehammer no
Aya Blackpaw yes
Raza The Chained maybe
Patches The Pirate YES
Wickerflame Burnbristle no
Wrathion NO
Kazakus YES
Don Han Cho no
Kun The Forgotten King maybe
White Eyes yes

I don't think any of the ones on your list are bad (except maybe Wrathion) but I don't think some of them are "must-crafts" so I added my opinion on that to your list.

wiibomb

I don't think any of the ones on your list are bad (except maybe Wrathion) but I don't think some of them are "must-crafts" so I added my opinion on that to your list.

wow.. why not wrathion? I always thought it was pretty good..

for the record, I got it from a pack, and it has been working pretty well as a taunt and card draw tech, but I'm curious about why it is bad

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

for the record, I got it from a pack, and it has been working pretty well as a taunt and card draw tech, but I'm curious about why it is bad

Wrathion isn't bad at all. I would not put him in a list of must crafts though. He's far from that good.

Inkmaster Solia feels like the kind of card that isn't good now because they are worried about her being too good with Reno still around. When Reno rotates out I wonder if they'll go a bit more out on the branches with mage spell design and hopefully we'll see some crazy stuff with her and some of the other Reno style cards when Reno himself rotates out.

Levi

Banned

I don't know if it's bad, but I also don't think it's good enough for a slot and I certainly wouldn't craft it unless you already had all the good ones and were filling out your collection.

Random thought while playing...If you entomb a C'thun it goes to 6/6. But what happens if you entomb a C'thun while you're playing a C'thun deck? Does it mimic the buffs your C'thun got or is it treated seperately?

And what if you play that card that brings C'thun back...will that pull your C'thun back from a priests deck? Nevermind Doomcaller says if its dead. But it does say give your C'thun +2/+2 wherever it is, so I wonder if it buffs your C'thun in the priests deck.

ricelord

15419431_1274557179285511_1693739038_o.png

lethal on turn 4.
67b.jpg

patchday

I got a list of Legendaries from this expansion I think I should be crafting as they are must have, what do you all think?

Must have:
Inkmaster Solia
Hobbart Grapplehammer
Aya Blackpaw
Raza The Chained
Patches The Pirate
Wickerflame Burnbristle
Wrathion
Kazakus
Don Han Cho
Kun The Forgotten King
White Eyes

Not necessary/Bad:
Shaku The Collector
Auctionmaster Beardo
Krul the Unchained
Finja, The Flying Star
Knucles
Sergeant Sally
Mayor Noggenfogger
Genzo The Shark

only craft patches right now & Kazakus. Aya is fun if you want to go jade golems. Just those 3

I like Solia for the free pyroblast but shes totally not necessary. just happened to get her from a pack

Wouldnt craft Wrathion 4 sho'

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hmmm, maybe I should dust my golden Finja for an Aya.
Random thought while playing...If you entomb a C'thun it goes to 6/6. But what happens if you entomb a C'thun while you're playing a C'thun deck? Does it mimic the buffs your C'thun got or is it treated seperately?
I think it mimics the buffs of your C'Thun. You can think of the situation not as referencing the strength of your C'Thun, but as the strength of the ritual you have performed before summoning C'Thun.

And what if you play that card that brings C'thun back...will that pull your C'thun back from a priests deck?
Nope!

Nevermind Doomcaller says if its dead. But it does say give your C'thun +2/+2 wherever it is, so I wonder if it buffs your C'thun in the priests deck.
Nope. It just strengthens your "ritual".

So let's say you have a 6/6 C'thun on board, and it dies. Then you Brann/Doomcaller and put two copies into your deck at 10/10. Then the next C'thun you play at 10/10 gets entombed. That copy of C'Thun goes to 6/6 and into your opponent's deck. Then you play, say, a Beckoner of Evil or something. The C'Thun copy that is still in your deck goes to 12/12, and the one in the opponent's deck stays at 6/6.

patchday

Wrathion isn't bad at all. I would not put him in a list of must crafts though. He's far from that good.

Inkmaster Solia feels like the kind of card that isn't good now because they are worried about her being too good with Reno still around. When Reno rotates out I wonder if they'll go a bit more out on the branches with mage spell design and hopefully we'll see some crazy stuff with her and some of the other Reno style cards when Reno himself rotates out.

yeah Solia is too one dimensional. Should've made her more flexible somehow... Like can cast a free spell the turn shes put down or the next one. Then she'd feel truly legendary.

Solia is kinda gimped. Jade Rogue's stupid stealth 1/1 is gimped af too Idk whats going on. They also messed up the Jade Agent card that is 5/5/3 while Kabal gets the very nice Kabal Courier. I just dont understand what happened with Jade...

The only decks I really truly hate are all the stupid Emperor/Auctioneer decks. Druid and Rogue in particular are just infuriating because of all the 0 cost stuff. With Loatheb gone it doesn't feel like there's any way to prevent it even if you can predict what turn they'll try to do it. At least with aggro I can tech against it.

I know rationally that I'm probably just seeing the best draw chance and that I would see the unreliability if I played the deck but it always feels frustrating to see them draw half their deck and play some absurd combo without any way to have prevented it other than killing them before that turn.

C'thun explanation

Ohhhh, that's pretty interesting how it works mechanically. It's almost like a player side counter that gets applied to whatever Cthuns end up in your deck/hand. Neat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
And now Reynad is playing a full aggro jade rogue that maxes mana out at 3 aside from leeroy and aya thanks to patches.

Levi

Banned
Rank 9 was weird. I faced a control warrior (Fibo's taunt heavy list), a Old Gods era Control Paladin (aka Healidan) with no new cards, bloodlust midrange shaman with one new card (Jinyu), and old school Zoo with no new cards. I also faced some renolocks (easy wins, especially when they dirty rat on curve) and aggro Shamans.

I faced that fucking bloodlust shaman twice in a row and he basically OTKed me both games because despite running four sweepers I didn't draw any of them either game. I was super frustrated that I queued into the same guy twice at rank freaking 9. No excuse for that.

Anyway, today was the worst day of Hearthstone I've had in a while, but I still went 8-5 and ranked up to 8. I want to hit 5 in the next week or so so I can relax a bit and play some different decks.

EDIT: I forgot this awesome thing happened:

And I opened 6 packs with some hoarded gold and got a Finja and an epic I needed. So that was nice as well.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rank 9 was weird. I faced a control warrior (Fibo's taunt heavy list), a Old Gods era Control Paladin (aka Healidan) with no new cards, bloodlust midrange shaman with one new card (Jinyu), and old school Zoo with no new cards. I also faced some renolocks (easy wins, especially when they dirty rat on curve) and aggro Shamans.

I faced that fucking bloodlust shaman twice in a row and he basically OTKed me both games because despite running four sweepers I didn't draw any of them either game. I was super frustrated that I queued into the same guy twice at rank freaking 9. No excuse for that.

Anyway, today was the worst day of Hearthstone I've had in a while, but I still went 8-5 and ranked up to 8. I want to hit 5 in the next week or so so I can relax a bit and play some different decks.

I enjoy Hearthstone a lot more now that I've stopped caring about my Rank. These days I just play to the quests or play fun decks, bouncing between standard and wild as the quest demands, and usually wind up between Rank 15 and Rank 10. Yeah I might not get the gold epics anymore but actually trying to rank up is a detriment to my health.

Honestly it's kind of broken. I'm pretty much bullying everybody down here with something like a 60-75% winrate. Blizzard seems to have no interest in creating a ladder system based on skill for this game.

Levi

Banned
I enjoy Hearthstone a lot more now that I've stopped caring about my Rank. These days I just play to the quests or play fun decks, bouncing between standard and wild as the quest demands, and usually wind up between Rank 15 and Rank 10. Yeah I might not get the gold epics anymore but actually trying to rank up is a detriment to my health.

I went like a 18 months in this game with nary a care for my rank. It was gaffers constantly denigrating my rank that made me want to tryhard, if only to rub it in certain people's faces when I did hit 5. I've hit that particular goal so I'm not really stressing about climbing anymore.

I'm going for it this month because I've been breezing through ladder so far and I think my deck and my knowledge of the current meta (such as it is) will make getting rank 5 pretty easy this month.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Honestly it's kind of broken. I'm pretty much bullying everybody down here with something like a 60-75% winrate. Blizzard seems to have no interest in creating a ladder system based on skill for this game.

Yeah i got to rank 5 two months in a row, it stressed me out, now i just play some ranked, some casual, wild, standard, and usually end up around rank 13 in each.

I hit a slump for 2 months over the summer where I didn't hit rank 5 because I was just so done with Hearthstone's meta. Then I ended up playing in Wild and enjoying that a lot more, so I've been making the climb every month. I rank up in Wild and use Standard for questing.

Question: How much money would you guys be willing to pay for a full Hearthstone expansion when it launches? Not packs, but 100% of the expansion.

patchday

I went like a 18 months in this game with nary a care for my rank. It was gaffers constantly denigrating my rank that made me want to tryhard, if only to rub it in certain people's faces when I did hit 5. I've hit that particular goal so I'm not really stressing about climbing anymore.

I'm going for it this month because I've been breezing through ladder so far and I think my deck and my knowledge of the current meta (such as it is) will make getting rank 5 pretty easy this month.

who did this? I never care for my rank or anyone else's. right now i think im like rank 13. maybe I will push for rank 10 at least but I dunno.

But yeah all this time I never felt like a gaffer demeaned me or called me a scrub. if anything I feel like I'm given too much respect lol

Granted I do try to prefix my post that my opinions does indeed come from a lazy gaffer that cant be bothered to ladder much and I am most likely really, really wrong.

Dahbomb

We are all playing a casual children's card game here, not sure where the elitism is coming from. Most play for fun rather than for competitive reasons.

Like the only reason why I get rank 5 every month (except last month, had a lot of stuff going on and was out of country) is to get that extra dust to get closer to completing my collection. I just like collecting stuff and I like having fun with different card combinations. I have achieved almost all of the goals I needed to achieve in the game.

I will legit quit the game if I ever run into Kripp and beat him which results in the match making it on to a Youtube video. I did beat Reynad, Amaz (stream sniped him but IDGAF) and Frozen before along with some other streamers but only fake Kripp players.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah wtf? Who is caring about ranks around here? That's bullshit. Ranks are mostly a function of time input compared with actual skill. Anyone making fun of someone for ranks is stupid. This game barely rewards time spent, why would anyone play except for fun?

I generally attempt to get to 10 each season (mostly in Wild but maybe not this season), but have ended at 15 or lower before because I didn't have time. Almost anyone with a brain and enough time should be able to make legend. It isn't rocket science, It's a children's card game.

Dahbomb

Yeah here's the daily reminder:

A bot playing pre-dated Midrange Shaman deck from Karazhan that is not programmed to react to MSG cards can still get rank 5.

Why? Through raw numbers and some luck.

Dahbomb

Why can't we have a skill-based MMR?
There's actually a hidden MMR... but it applies in Casual of all things.

So when I play Casual I get the most try hard, golden portrait Legendary card back players "practicing" their top decks. It's a pretty miserable experience trying to get some of the quests, sometimes I just do them on Ranked.

And the MMR applies a bit more at Legend where you lose/gain rank based on the rank of the other player. I guess it makes sense because Legend is where people actually are really try harding and before that people just want to progress and get better without feeling like they haven't made much progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom