• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

got lucky with the preps, I guess..

the 2 I have are among the first epics I unpacked since I started playing.. I remember I was pretty mad because I thought they were shit and couldn't use them at all.

Levi

Banned
Sounds like Blizzard is currently happy with Patches' power level:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-two-year-making-of-hearthstones-patches-the-pirate/

I ask Place if he’s happy with where Patches has landed in terms of power. “It’s been meeting expectations in a lot of ways,” he replies, “but we’ll see how it plays out.”

Also interesting is that a version of this card was intended for Blackrock Mountain, but as a Dragon, so that makes it TWO YEARS Blizzard has been working on getting this card into the game. Two years of development and some people expected they'd nerf it within two weeks.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Levi

Banned
Some evidence for why Prince Malchezaar is bad in case people haven't figured it out already.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/63cBx25N9B2zn7w3fEFP4G

Friggin' Doomsayered a Malygos cause he had garbo legendaries in his hand.

I'm low ranked on my Asia/EU accounts and just hop on to do quests twice a week... It's amazing how many people at rank 18 take a tempo or midrange decklist and just add Malchezaar for no reason. Good luck drawing your pro-active cards when your deck is clogged up with Milhouse Manastorm and Nat Pagle.

That quote shouldn't be read as they are happy with it's power level. If they were happy, they would have said yes. He almost completely dodged the question.

I ask Place if he’s happy with where Patches has landed in terms of power. “It’s been meeting expectations in a lot of ways,” he replies, “but we’ll see how it plays out.”

It wasn't even a week before UT was nerfed that ben brode was interviewed in an article that UT was not being changed but was being watched. Granted, that article probably interviewed earlier than a week before the nerf, but it just goes to show you can't rely completely on a single interview response to see what they'll do to problematic cards.

Hearthstone |OT8| Patches Patched

Dahbomb

Sounds like Blizzard is currently happy with Patches' power level:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-two-year-making-of-hearthstones-patches-the-pirate/

Also interesting is that a version of this card was intended for Blackrock Mountain, but as a Dragon, so that makes it TWO YEARS Blizzard has been working on getting this card into the game. Two years of development and some people expected they'd nerf it within two weeks.

Don't shoot the messenger.
We expected Patches to see play in decks that feature Pirates.

It is seeing play in decks featuring Pirates.

That question was soft ball as hell too. And the guy mentioned that he's playing Elven Archer in his deck to counter Patches.... LMAO!

patches is a problem if you second. if you can drop minions on the board first if forces your opponet to make trades.

had a good amount of luck with zoo because of it.

gutshot

I find the calls to nerf Patches and calling it the most broken card in the game a little perplexing. Nerfing Patches won't stop the Pirate aggro decks. Small-Time Buccaneer is still insane in any deck with enough weapons to activate him. Patches is just a bonus.

patches is a problem if you second. if you can drop minions on the board first if forces your opponet to make trades.

had a good amount of luck with zoo because of it.

It's good to have the option to trade, rather than your 1 drop just being a bulky minion doing nothing the turn it is played.

Patches is a problem if you like card game balance. If you're okay with the first pirate being played being elevated to the power of a 3-4 mana minion, then I guess we just need more of that sort of power creep. That is of course, in my estimation at least, a very bad thing for the game.

Dahbomb

It's also clear that every previous iteration of Patches that they had ended up being too broken to release. Seems like they gambled releasing it this set, mostly because it had been in the oven for so long.

I find the calls to nerf Patches and calling it the most broken card in the game a little perplexing. Nerfing Patches won't stop the Pirate aggro decks. Small-Time Buccaneer is still insane in any deck with enough weapons to activate him. Patches is just a bonus.
It may not stop the decks from being play but it's going to lower their power level and win rate enough.

It's probably the most broken card in Standard right now. Can't think of one that is more broken.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm low ranked on my Asia/EU accounts and just hop on to do quests twice a week... It's amazing how many people at rank 18 take a tempo or midrange decklist and just add Malchezaar for no reason. Good luck drawing your pro-active cards when your deck is clogged up with Milhouse Manastorm and Nat Pagle.

They're still doing it is the crazy thing. You'd think he'd be the kind of card that falls out of style once people figure it out but nope. Seems he's still as popular as he ever was.

ZealousD

Cogmaster had a very similar effect in mech decks, but nobody complained about him. STB is very well designed as far as aggressive 1-drops go.

Shaman seems to have caught on in higher ranks, mirrors are a cluster though.

Dragon Warrior seems strong too, Alexstraza's Champion is really good, and you're not expecting it cause you think warrior = pirate. One guy even had a Curator that pulled a Fierce Monkey, Finley, and some other dragon.

Levi

Banned
It's probably the most broken card in Standard right now. Can't think of one that is more broken.

400px-Innervate_(art).jpg

gutshot

It's also clear that every previous iteration of Patches that they had ended up being too broken to release. Seems like they gambled releasing it this set, mostly because it had been in the oven for so long.

It may not stop the decks from being play but it's going to lower their power level and win rate enough.

Potentially, but why do they need to do lower those decks' power level? Most decks seem to be pretty inline at power level, according to vS, with only Aggro Shaman out in front. And that's probably more due to Shaman's other OP cards since it, as a class, has been on top of the meta since Old Gods release.

Cogmaster had a very similar effect in mech decks, but nobody complained about him. STB is very well designed as far as aggressive 1-drops go.

I'm not sure no one complaining about either card is really relevant? Cogmaster was a very strong card in what was the potentially the best deck in the meta at the time. Just like Buccaneer. Personally, I think it has had more effect on Pirate decks being strong on ladder than Patches.

Dahbomb

Potentially, but why do they need to do lower those decks' power level? Most decks seem to be pretty inline at power level, according to vS, with only Aggro Shaman out in front. And that's probably more due to Shaman's other OP cards since it, as a class, has been on top of the meta since Old Gods release.
The top 4 out 5 decks according to VS based on win rates are Aggro Shaman, Miracle Pirate Rogue, Pirate Warrior and Dragon Warrior.

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/data-reaper-live-beta/

All of whom utilize the PPP.

So if anything, VS is supporting the claim that Patches is too strong right now.

Levi

Banned
Neutral card vs class card though.

It still has been and always will be the most broken card in the game.

I don't even think patches is the most broken legendary, not in a world where fandral exists. That's sneakily super busted.

As far as neutral legendaries, sure, it's super busted, but it does say something how many qualifications we have to throw in before it's the "most busted card in Standard."

gutshot

The top 4 out 5 decks according to VS based on win rates are Aggro Shaman, Miracle Pirate Rogue, Pirate Warrior and Dragon Warrior.

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/data-reaper-live-beta/

All of whom utilize the PPP.

So if anything, VS is supporting the claim that Patches is too strong right now.

The whole Pirate and Weapon package is strong, yes. Patches is just a part of that (a smaller part than most people think IMO).

Is it too strong though? Like I said, all of the decks outside of Aggro Shaman are very close together in win rates. The 7 decks after Aggro Shaman are all within 2 percentage points of each other. That includes decks that don't run Pirates like Dragon Priest, Renolock and Midrange Shaman.

Aggro decks deserve to be competitive in the meta and nerfing the Pirate package will sink all those aggro decks and just give rise to more midrange and control decks.

Dahbomb

I don't think there is any real qualification here, I do believe Patches is the most broken card even above Fandral and Innervate. Patches gets to be played for free, Innervate and Fandral at least cost cards.

Finalow

I think Innervate wouldn't be a big issue in this meta if it wasn't for Fandral. e.g. turn 1 Fandral isn't fun to play against

or just Fandral + Innvervate + stuff and gg

Pirate warrior is the easiest deck to grind.

Please everyone keep playing it.
ftfy
I keep getting free wins as long as people don't realize the deck isn't actually good and loses to most of the tier 1 and 2 decks out there. matches don't even take long, I play Feral Spirit and they concede.

Just playing casual real quick to do quests. Picked deathwing from historian, I thought it was the other deathwing. Destroyed my board and my hand instead lol

I don't think there is any real qualification here, I do believe Patches is the most broken card even above Fandral and Innervate. Patches gets to be played for free, Innervate and Fandral at least cost cards.

Patches basically increases the value of the first pirate played by at least 2 mana. Aggro shouldn't be playing 3-4 drops on turn 1 without a downside.

Levi

Banned
Patches is obviously busted because there are no good aggro decks that don't include it. When a neutral card is an auto-include in every deck of a certain archetype, it's broken. Other aggro gameplans (aggro Paladin, aggro Hunter) aren't viable because they don't run the early game weapons that enable the Pirate package. There's clearly an imbalance there when one card is carrying an entire archetype.

However, in this meta, it could be argued that there are no good control decks that don't run Reno and Kazakas.

And a lot of the strong midrange decks are running Aya.

So obviously that are a lot of really, really good cards that are enabling their respective archetypes.

I don't think Patches should be nerfed if nerfing the card destroys the aggro archetype.

I don't want a meta where Jade Druid doesn't get punished for not running any early game, where greedy Priest decks can cut early game cards to run double-entomb, where Miracle Rogue has no bad match-ups.

Much like Anakin had to bring balance to the Force by destroying the Jedi Order, Patches brings balance to the meta by destroying ultra-greedy decks.

Sure, it sucks if you like ultra-greedy decks, but there are worse things in the world than forcing decks to run early game taunts and cheap AOE.

ZealousD

Patches basically increases the value of the first pirate played by at least 2 mana. Aggro shouldn't be playing 3-4 drops on turn 1 without a downside.

I think that's probably an exaggeration. Think of an existing 2 mana card and ask yourself if adding stonetusk boar is really like a 4 mana card. 1.5 mana at best.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't believe the game designer actually said he's running elven archer for patches tech. That is so bad against pirates it's almost like he's setting a trap for people.

its best in rogue too. cold blood makes it so stupid. and small time bucaneer will no matter what become a 3/2 on turn to b/c Rogue can just equip a weapon instead of hoping it has a card in hand like warrior/shaman.

Levi

Banned
I can't believe the game designer actually said he's running elven archer for patches tech. That is so bad against pirates it's almost like he's setting a trap for people.

Have you *seen* the premade decks in this game? I'm not the least surprised.

Alrus

I think that's probably an exaggeration. Think of an existing 2 mana card and ask yourself if adding stonetusk boar is really like a 4 mana card. 1.5 mana at best.

The whole "free stonetusk boar" comparison is weird to me. It completely ignore the deck thinning part of the card.

ZealousD

Patches is obviously busted because there are no good aggro decks that don't include it. When a neutral card is an auto-include in every deck of a certain archetype, it's broken. Other aggro gameplans (aggro Paladin, aggro Hunter) aren't viable because they don't run the early game weapons that enable the Pirate package. There's clearly an imbalance there when one card is carrying an entire archetype.

However, in this meta, it could be argued that there are no good control decks that don't run Reno and Kazakas.

And a lot of the strong midrange decks are running Aya.

So obviously that are a lot of really, really good cards that are enabling their respective archetypes.

I don't think Patches should be nerfed if nerfing the card destroys the aggro archetype.

I don't want a meta where Jade Druid doesn't get punished for not running any early game, where greedy Priest decks can cut early game cards to run double-entomb, where Miracle Rogue has no bad match-ups.

Much like Anakin had to bring balance to the Force by destroying the Jedi Order, Patches brings balance to the meta by destroying ultra-greedy decks.

Sure, it sucks if you like ultra-greedy decks, but there are worse things in the world than forcing decks to run early game taunts and cheap AOE.

Zoo could easily punish Jade decks, but Zoo has a bad matchup against all of the PPP decks.

The whole "free stonetusk boar" comparison is weird to me. It completely ignore the deck thinning part of the card.

The difference between a 29 card deck and a 30 card deck is pretty small. This is like point #4 on why the card is good. If Patches didn't thin your deck, it wouldn't see less play.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So of course Brode is gonna say stuff like Elven Archer, Blizzard has to give the impression that people who don't have this new OP legendary have a way to combat it that is availabel to everyone. The fact that it's a terrible card is besides the point, it technically does counter it on a card for card level. The fact that it makes your deck worse and has no synergies whereas Patches has lots of synergies is irrelevant. Brode has to speak to the masses of people who are getting stomped and don't do stuff like read NeoGAF or Reddit to learn how to git gud.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Patches is obviously busted because there are no good aggro decks that don't include it.
"Egg" Druid seems pretty solid, based on what I've played. It also has the benefit of stomping all over pirate warrior.

But nobody's really playing it right now, so what do I know?

Your first pirate draws and plays a 1 mana card. Just do the math there. Drawing a card alone is roughly 1.5 mana worth of value. You're then playing a 1 mana card. 2.5 mana.

Levi

Banned
"Egg" Druid seems pretty solid, based on what I've played. It also has the benefit of stomping all over pirate warrior.

But nobody's really playing it right now, so what do I know?

Hey, if no one's playing it that's an advantage. People expect Jade and you're throwing them a curveball with Egg Druid.

I played a bit of the old Egg Druid list back when Jeeves was in it, and it was extremely strong then.

If it's working for you keep at it. I haven't played it, I haven't played against it, and I haven't seen it played on stream. No idea where it lands in this meta so it's up to you to let us know. :D

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think the reason I hate playing aggro decks is because running out of steam just feels horrible.

Worse than losing to aggro.

I think I even get a little embarrassed when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom