• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is saying "maybe that deck works at low ranks but gets slaughtered at high ranks" really making fun of someone's rank? I think that is often true. I've played a lot of decks that seem great while ranking up then you run into good decks on a consistent basis and the deck or my use of the deck just shows how different the game can feel between different ranks.
I agree with you on this. I was just talking about the general sentiment, and how it's not good to bottle one's feelings up.

Levi

Banned
Fell four ranks since Friday morning. So now I am trying this patches shaman bs everyone says is broken.

It's not broken enough.

Got destroyed by Kazakus ironically enough. Kazakus on 4, full board clear plus 7 armor on 5.

He was at 7 health when I lost.

Edit: won the next four straight. Maybe this shit is as broken as everyone says? Lol

Hey Levi I'm sorry that I belittled your efforts trying to reach rank 5.

Thanks. :)

patchday

but surely you already been rank 5 before? what does it matter if you go like rank 20 this month its all good. I wouldnt sweat some random drive-by poster lol

edit: (Granted a golden Epic dust must be nice)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fell four ranks since Friday morning. So now I am trying this patches shaman bs everyone says is broken.

It's not broken enough.

Got destroyed by Kazakus ironically enough. Kazakus on 4, full board clear plus 7 armor on 5.

Edit: won the next four straight. Maybe this shit is as broken as everyone says? Lol

Is it the Jade hybrid thing? That's what I've been using.

Reno matchups are a huge crapshoot either direction. The matches feel pretty autopilot on both sides and are just down to early draws/if the reno is drawn or not.

Finalow

speaking of the HS gaf twitch chat, why doesn't anyone join or use the chat at all anymore? Even during Blizzcon there were only 2-3 people active, at best.
smh here

-
I'd say that is the best deck to grind ladder with, not just because it's good but also because matches are really fast.
if Renolock draws well you usually lose, I don't even think it's worth playing around their AoE and you just hope they don't draw them.

Levi

Banned
but surely you already been rank 5 before? what does it matter if you go like rank 20 this month its all good. I wouldnt sweat some random drive-by poster lol

edit: (Granted a golden Epic dust must be nice)

I got five last month. Before that the highest I'd ever been was 6. Before I hit 6, I had never been higher than 9.

I thought I'd be less upset by certain ppl around here once I'd "proved" myself but I guess it was never about my rank anyway.

Jade Pirate shaman vs Renolock really does just come down to whether they drew the right aoe, got the right potion from Kazakus or drew Reno in time. Just one of those matchups you don't hope to get too often and not even worth to get upset over after a couple games.

Levi

Banned
Okay, Aggro Shaman is filthy.

First, some fun.
m531oKM.jpg

Yes, someone played Shadow Rager against me.

Second month in a row of hitting 5. Got to be honest, I didn't think I would be able to do it this month. After falling from 6, full stars, to 9, zero stars, I had given up on this season.

But then I swallowed my pride and decided to try an aggro deck.

b2f08c943beeb8b6dbf205913d504493.png

100% vs Rogue, 100% in the mirror, went 14-3, losing to two Priests and one Dragon Pirate Warrior.

I got lucky to see so many Rogues, but I'm proud of going 4-0 in the mirror. I feel like I'm better at knowing when to trade and when to go face than my opponents were.

First, some fun.

Second month in a row of hitting 5. Got to be honest, I didn't think I would be able to do it this month. After falling from 6, full stars, to 9, zero stars, I had given up on this season.

100% vs Rogue, 100% in the mirror, went 14-3, losing to two Priests and one Dragon Pirate Warrior.

I got lucky to see so many Rogues, but I'm proud of going 4-0 in the mirror. I feel like I'm better at knowing when to trade and when to go face than my opponents were.

Nice, congrats on the golden epic.

jgminto

I never really liked the side effect of gold card rewards turning Rank 5 into a skill cutoff. It does make it a lot more frustrating when you have a difficult season.

On an unrelated note, is there any consensus to what a Renolock list should look like when running into the Patches trio of decks? I'm not sure which taunt/heal cards are most effective.

Levi

Banned
Is that Aggro Pirate Jade Shaman, Levi?

Also, I personally never remember what rank individual people here hit.

Yeah, it runs 5 pirates, 5 jade cards, overload synergy cards, weapons, spell damage.. it's like the kind of deck I used to build back in the day where I tried to fit everything in one deck, except this one actually works!

Anyway, if you like winning on turn 5 or topdecking lethal when you're one turn away from dying.. this is the deck for you.

(also, I changed my avatar since I no longer feel like a rank 25er, lol).

I never really liked the side effect of gold card rewards turning Rank 5 into a skill cutoff. It does make it a lot more frustrating when you have a difficult season.

I agree. The ranked chests just made the bad ladder system feel even worse. It's also such a small jump from the rank 15 chest to the rank 10 chest, and then a huge jump when you get the rank 5 chest, and then barely anything extra if you get Legend. So if you can't get to 5 (whether you're time limited or you're having a bad season or you just don't like the ladder grind) there's very little reason to rank up past 15.

I enjoyed ladder more when I was playing every month to improve my personal best finish. Once the chests came into play, rank 5 became something I felt like shit for missing out on. Sure, it motivated me to improve my play but it also has driven me slightly crazy and rough patches in a climb feel so much worse than they ever have before.

Like, the first time I hit 9 I was so proud that I took a screenshot and made it my desktop background. (It was with midrange pally back before secret pally was a thing).

The month I hit 6 for the first time? I felt like uninstalling the game because I didn't get to 5 instead.

Yeah, it runs 5 pirates, 5 jade cards, overload synergy cards, weapons, spell damage.. it's like the kind of deck I used to build back in the day where I tried to fit everything in one deck, except this one actually works!

Anyway, if you like winning on turn 5 or topdecking lethal when you're one turn away from dying.. this is the deck for you.

(also, I changed my avatar since I no longer feel like a rank 25er, lol).

Yeah it does just enough of everything to work while not doing too much at once. Congrats man.

The way ladder works just favours aggro decks so much by its nature.

Levi

Banned
rKWAWpR.png

Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bunch of broken cards all crammed in one deck.

56be52f782f0890a9b0d60234d633500.png

The two classes I climbed with this season. Midrange Jade Shaman did really well for me until it didn't, Renolock I didn't like how polarized the match-ups were (and I hate the mirror), and Jade Pirate Aggro Shaman got me over the hump after a couple of bad days stubbornly refusing to stop playing those two decks.

I'm under 50% with every other class (mostly played those on other servers or in wild for quests though).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Man.... Druid and mage are my next two closest classes to 500. Neither is really viable in standard atm. I might have to take Mage back to Wild and try some Reno stuff to get ranks. Been bouncing around from 15-10 for a week atm.

So many fun decks for me to be shit at playing LOL.

Man.... Druid and mage are my next two closest classes to 500. Neither is really viable in standard atm. I might have to take Mage back to Wild and try some Reno stuff to get ranks. Been bouncing around from 15-10 for a week atm.

So many fun decks for me to be shit at playing LOL.

Reno mage is really good imo.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Reno mage is really good imo.

It hasn't been winning for me so far, but I'm probably not good at it yet. I def just lost a game with it by picking the wrong kind of potion against a freaking Reno Pally. Got so hosed by that deck, thing he was just a goons pally with shitty draws until late he drops a weird Ivory Knight and then heals for 0 (forbidden healing). I got shrekt by dual Ragnaroses

Dahbomb

First, some fun.

Congrats.

Also pretty sure Shaman wins against Rogue quick handily.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can see why people are thinking the new PPP Miracle Rogue is super good. I just piloted it for the first time and won three games in a row without breaking a sweat. Rogue is my least played class, too. Giving that deck some actual early game really helped. You aren't just preying for a really good SI:7 Agent to get ahead.

Levi

Banned
I'm 140 away from rogue and then I just need 250 for shaman for 9/9. Shaman has always been too boring for me.

NA:
Total Wins 4343 (arena: 349)

Warrior 500+
Druid 500+
Warlock 500+
Mage 370
Paladin 307
Shaman 264
Priest 177
Hunter 161
Rogue 51

The only reason I want to play rogue is to unlock the golden acidic swamp ooze.

KuroNeeko

Congrats on rank five, Levi.

I have about a quarter of the wins you do and the highest I've reached is about rank eight or nine.

Seemed like you were having a tough time, but you pulled through.

I will say that, I don't know mayne, I feel like you're taking things like poster comments and your performance in the game really seriously. It's not my place to judge your values or anything, but it sucks seeing you get so stressed out, even to the point that it's affecting your self-confidence, over this game.

I hope you can find a way to step back a bit and just try to enjoy the game. Maybe play some of that sweet, sweet Priest action (lol).

Hey, if I can do it...so can you! I drew Don Han'Cho the other day and almost insta-dusted his ass to help me craft the Cabal Leader...but instead, I put together a "I Know A Guy" deck and actually played a more control-ly Warrior and...it wasn't that bad. Only had one Shield Slam and no Gorehowls or Grommash, but it did well against aggro and even sneaked some wins out from Miracle.

Anyway, congrats again on hitting rank five. I may or may not make it this month; there have been a lot of rogues popping up around rank 11 for me. Also trying to grind gold in Shadowverse for the new expac coming this month.

Levi

Banned
I will say that, I don't know mayne, I feel like you're taking things like poster comments and your performance in the game really seriously. It's not my place to judge your values or anything, but it sucks seeing you get so stressed out, even to the point that it's affecting your self-confidence, over this game.

I hope you can find a way to step back a bit and just try to enjoy the game. Maybe play some of that sweet, sweet Priest action (lol).

First of all, thank you for the kind words.

I do absolutely let this game affect my mood and such, but I am getting better at letting things go.

It's a work in progress. I'm glad I melted down a little this weekend because it has shown me that a lot more people here are kind than I had thought.

I've played my share of priest. Before standard I was a bit of a control priest guy. I enjoy playing as Priest but I can't stand playing against them. Comes from losing to Entomb so many times as a Cwar. (plus all the BM from Priests so happy they just thought stole a win condition doesn't help.)

KuroNeeko

First of all, thank you for the kind words.

I do absolutely let this game affect my mood and such, but I am getting better at letting things go.

It's a work in progress. I'm glad I melted down a little this weekend because it has shown me that a lot more people here are kind than I had thought.

I've played my share of priest. Before standard I was a bit of a control priest guy. I enjoy playing as Priest but I can't stand playing against them. Comes from losing to Entomb so many times as a Cwar. (plus all the BM from Priests so happy they just thought stole a win condition doesn't help.)

TBH, I've mained Priest in the past, but I find the "new" generation of Priest players (or maybe just the return of the old guard) are horrible BMers. The Operatives are probably the main culprit--yeah, it's a pretty good card.

I'm actually looking forward to concentrating on a different class for a while after I get gold priest. Still crafted Raza though.

I've crafted an Aya and pulled a White Eyes (and Don Han'Cho lol), so I may play some Jade / Control Shaman for a bit. Or might try Reno Mage or Paladin... Miracle Rogue for me is pretty bleh and I was hoping N'Zoth Rogue or Jade Rogue would take off, but nope.

Jade Druid is "ok", but not as fun as I thought it would be. It seems pretty straight-forward, but not a lot of interesting decisions to make.

Sure would be nice to get Murloc Paladin going though...hmm....

Levi

Banned
Jade Druid is "ok", but not as fun as I thought it would be. It seems pretty straight-forward, but not a lot of interesting decisions to make.

Sure would be nice to get Murloc Paladin going though...hmm....

I used to love Druid (my very first golden class) but tbh these days it's probably my least favorite class to pilot. That new egg Druid deck looks fun (shout-out to the guy who brought it up here) but I'm not impressed by Kun Druid, Jade Druid or Ramp Druid.

I played a ton of homebrew Murloc Pally in wild today.. had the 75 Murloc quest. Finja is a super fun card, glad I finally had an excuse to try it out. The best moment I had was when I was facing another aggro Murloc Pally and I hungry crabbed his Warleader and he instantly conceded. I laughed out loud.

Whoa, I just noticed I forgot Warleaders in this deck! Ha!

Kll5ry0.png

Anyway you seem like a cool dude, add me on whatever server you play on, Levi#1147.

patchday

Grats on rank 5!! I'm shocked Levi I always assumed you hit rank 5 every month. You guys always give such solid advice.

make sure to post screenshot of that sweet golden epic before you dust it lol

wiibomb

I think potion of polymorph is more useful than some thinks it is.

As well as any other secret in mage, it needs to plan some turns ahead. I was just against I rogue I could clearly know it was a Miracle Rogue, and I dropped that secret when I thought he had enough cards to throw the auctioneer, well I wasn't wrong and it conceeded just after the auctioneer got polymorphed.

EDIT: wait, levi I didn't see you got to rank 5!!! Congrats! I saw partially your struggle to get there since some months ago, congrats!! I hope I can get there someday... whenever I get myself to play in ranked again.

I used to love Druid (my very first golden class) but tbh these days it's probably my least favorite class to pilot. That new egg Druid deck looks fun (shout-out to the guy who brought it up here) but I'm not impressed by Kun Druid, Jade Druid or Ramp Druid.

I played a ton of homebrew Murloc Pally in wild today.. had the 75 Murloc quest. Finja is a super fun card, glad I finally had an excuse to try it out. The best moment I had was when I was facing another aggro Murloc Pally and I hungry crabbed his Warleader and he instantly conceded. I laughed out loud.

Whoa, I just noticed I forgot Warleaders in this deck! Ha!

Kll5ry0.png

Anyway you seem like a cool dude, add me on whatever server you play on, Levi#1147.

Congrats Levi! Good job on getting that Rank 5. Take this from someone who also had struggles when I started playing this game 2 years ago: don't ever let it stress you out. Most importantly, just enjoy playing. Hearthstone is a really fun game. Granted, the rng can be too much at times, but at the end of the day, the important thing is your own enjoyment.

scarlet

It's not broken enough.

Congrats, Levi!

I hope one day I could get higher than 13th and put more effort into ladder instead of grinding gold in casual.

Levi

Banned
Grats on rank 5!! I'm shocked Levi I always assumed you hit rank 5 every month. You guys always give such solid advice.

make sure to post screenshot of that sweet golden epic before you dust it lol

Thanks! I finished rank 9 in September, rank 6 in October, rank 5 last month, and rank 5 so far this month. I'm not the best HS player in practice but I do understand the fundamentals.

I probably won't dust my epic. I rarely dust the gold cards unless they are truly awful cards.

I

EDIT: wait, levi I didn't see you got to rank 5!!! Congrats! I saw partially your struggle to get there since some months ago, congrats!! I hope I can get there someday... whenever I get myself to play in ranked again.

Just play ranked. I've watched you play, you're a very solid player. I understand ladder anxiety and tilt -- those are my biggest weaknesses. But you'll regret all the time spent in casual in a year when you could have a bunch of gold heroes.

Congrats Levi! Good job on getting that Rank 5. Take this from someone who also had struggles when I started playing this game 2 years ago: don't ever let it stress you out. Most importantly, just enjoy playing. Hearthstone is a really fun game. Granted, the rng can be too much at times, but at the end of the day, the important thing is your own enjoyment.

Thanks!

I've had fun every day this month except for a Friday and yesterday when I tilted down four ranks and got pretty down on myself. Now that my chest is locked in I'm going to have a stress free rest of the month. Feels good!

Congrats, Levi!

I hope one day I could get higher than 13th and put more effort into ladder instead of grinding gold in casual.

Thanks! Play whatever mode is fun for you. If you think gold heroes are something you want, though, try to play more ranked ladder. Don't sweat your rank, it just takes practice and time. It wasn't that long ago that I thought I'd never hit rank 5. Last month I got it at the end of the season. This month I got it with 12 days to spare. If I can do it, anyone can.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

Fucking Shaman uses Maelstrom portal twice and gets Weasel Tunneler BOTH TIMES

So I just fucking lose on turn 7 because Reno doesn't work anymore.

I am so fucking pissed. SHIT.

KuroNeeko

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

C'mon, mayne...

You gotta admit...

That's pretty funny...

Crafted a TON of shit today. Looking forward to playing some new decks.

Patches
Aya
Jaraxxus
Leeroy
Dragonfire Potions x 2
Bloodmage Thalnos
Fandral

Time to have some fun!

Still have enough to craft Alex if I feel the need to. Thinking it might help against these damn Reno decks.

First deck I went with was Pirate Warrior of course and goddamn this shit is boring but it's nice to get games out of the way really fast. I either lose quick or I win quick.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

Okay, that's pretty awesome.

I had one Shaman get that card off Maelstrom Portal and then I used Potion of Madness on it to put it back in his deck. He ended up top decking it when I had lethal on board lol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Guess that'll teach me to switch away from the aggro shaman list I netdecked in favor of the Reno Priest deck I actually put together myself out of the cards I have in my collection.

:/

scarlet

Crafted a TON of shit today. Looking forward to playing some new decks.

Patches
Aya
Jaraxxus
Leeroy
Dragonfire Potions x 2
Bloodmage Thalnos
Fandral

Time to have some fun!

Still have enough to craft Alex if I feel the need to. Thinking it might help against these damn Reno decks.

First deck I went with was Pirate Warrior of course and goddamn this shit is boring but it's nice to get games out of the way really fast. I either lose quick or I win quick.

I think you only need 1 dragonfire potion, especially in mirror match.

I made same mistake. Crafted another one and barely use it.

Xanathus

I think you only need 1 dragonfire potion, especially in mirror match.

I made same mistake. Crafted another one and barely use it.

You only need 1 because the meta has changed where decks relying on minion heavy mid-game (midrange shaman) has died out. Low cost cheap AoE is now more valuable, like Wild Pyromancer combos, Maelstrom Portal and Demonwrath. If the meta changes around then you want 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom