• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I was kinda being facetious with the post.

Hearthstone has changed a lot when it comes to which class is on top vs bottom. But the overall playstyle is still the same despite numerous expansions. You are essentially playing the same decks as last year just with different art. You still play on curve, get the early game lead on board the finish with burst later on. Only thing different right now is that we have a control deck at the top that is doing work and is actually not easy to play so that's good but it's also easy to target.

The main thing people want is for there to be more types of ways to play the game. And that's hard to do when you have streamlined aggro decks running on ladder. Harder to make home brew decks and or play with limited card pools.

DOTA 2 has gone through what feels like thousands of patches and they just released a game changing new one. DOTA is in its own league when it comes to supporting the game long term and with patches. And even that game is not immune to having top picks.

patchday

I never got into playing UMvC3 (or most fighting games), but I might grab it once it comes to Steam so I can see the story mode and try out all the crazy shit that I see at Evo.

It has always been one of my favorite games to watch. Just due to the crazy character combinations, everything exploding on the screen all the time and the clear techincal skill of the players involved. Truely a fun game to watch there.

huh maybe I should've gotten that instead of SFV. but I find fighting games rather difficult. Cant wait for Injustice 2 but mostly for the single player campaign and I love the superheroes

Levi

Banned

Hearthstone has changed a lot when it comes to which class is on top vs bottom. But the overall playstyle is still the same despite numerous expansions. You are essentially playing the same decks as last year just with different art. You still play on curve, get the early game lead on board the finish with burst later on. Only thing different right now is that we have a control deck at the top that is doing work and is actually not easy to play so that's good but it's also easy to target.

Well, if we are to believe TempoStorm, the three best decks in the format include one combo/control hybrid, one pure aggro deck, and miracle rogue. (combo/aggro?)

When I think of "curvestone", I think of midrange decks where you play overstatted minions on curve every turn until you win.

I mean, in fairness, it was only about 14 months ago that Shaman was the worst class in the game and Warrior was basically a control-only class (post Warsong nerf, pre Pirate). So at least Hearthstone has changed up WHICH class is killing you on turn 6.

5 years later we're still getting helmbreakered in Marvel.
Did you not see that top 8 from this year? Only one team had Vergil.

I think dota 2 is known to be the best balanced MP game but they have bans (amazing!) and the constant patches, etc help ensure it

Alas I find it very difficult to keep up with constant evolving metas (as a semi-casual player)

Crap getting my butt kick on titanfall. Need to hop over to their thread lol. Been playing to much Hearthstone. All twitch skills is gone
DotA2 is good, and so is the ban system. I also struggle with the balance between strengthening my reaction times and my ability to think deeply. I play a mix of fighting games and card games to try and reach that balance.

I never got into playing UMvC3 (or most fighting games), but I might grab it once it comes to Steam so I can see the story mode and try out all the crazy shit that I see at Evo.

It has always been one of my favorite games to watch. Just due to the crazy character combinations, everything exploding on the screen all the time and the clear techincal skill of the players involved. Truely a fun game to watch there.
Definitely give it a try. GAF has a great fighting game community for you to engage with if you want to get into them.

The main thing people want is for there to be more types of ways to play the game. And that's hard to do when you have streamlined aggro decks running on ladder. Harder to make home brew decks and or play with limited card pools.

DOTA 2 has gone through what feels like thousands of patches and they just released a game changing new one. DOTA is in its own league when it comes to supporting the game long term and with patches. And even that game is not immune to having top picks.
See, I agree with you though. Hearthstone balance is just like World of Warcraft balance: instead of aiming for a balanced and diverse game, classes take turns being OP, and there are clear attempts to rotate the Wheel of OPness between them.

huh maybe I should've gotten that instead of SFV. but I find fighting games rather difficult. Cant wait for Injustice 2 but mostly for the single player campaign and I love the superheroes
Fighting games are definitely the most skill-oriented genre in existence, and it can be frustrating to play them. SFV is a good starting point in terms of difficulty, but IMO it's best to pick the fighting game that excites you the most and run with it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I saw that there was a whole conversation yesterday about ranks and self-worth, but as a person that's only been playing for a month, I'd super psyched to have made rank 14 yesterday.

I'm afraid to play more ranked, though, as I'm sure I'll end up back in rank 20.

Shinypogs

Mmm, old school kotl + PL the gift that kept on giving. I have fond memories of dota 2 even though I started watching more than playing this year.

Levi

Banned
I saw that there was a whole conversation yesterday about ranks and self-worth, but as a person that's only been playing for a month, I'd super psyched to have made rank 14 yesterday.

I'm afraid to play more ranked, though, as I'm sure I'll end up back in rank 20.

Don't be scared. Your ranked chest is always for the highest level you've achieved, so there's no punishment for losing ranks (other than mental anguish, lol).

bjaelke

There's no real downside. You'll get your rank 14 rewards at the end of the season even if you do go back to rank 20. There's nothing to lose really (except for the games...).

current miracle rogue is aggro with combo as a backup plan.
That sounds like a deck I want to play.

There's literally nothing at risk, like the others have said - play and have fun. :)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with the people above. There is no downside to playing in ranked all the time (except having to play more games if you want to raise your rank again later). You will face more tuned decks and more competent play. So in general it is better competition.

That said, doing weird quests in casual is still something I do frequently (like my dumb divine shiled/murloc quest deck that I made for obvious quest reasons), but if I was trying to learn and get better casual isn't really going to get me that.

And really the ranked stuff in Hearthstone is pretty shitty over all. The incentive to ladder is purely golden cards (and for most players that should just be dust fodder) and golden cards don't help you play the game or get better at the game. So unless you are really seeking out bling (or need more dust to help craft some legendaries) rank isn't very important. That said the dust from Rank 5 (golden Epic) is pretty nice, but the amount of work (and more imporantly TIME INVESTMENT) it takes to get there frequently isn't.

Levi

Banned
That said, doing weird quests in casual is still something I do frequently (like my dumb divine shiled/murloc quest deck that I made for obvious quest reasons), but if I was trying to learn and get better casual isn't really going to get me that.

Weird quests are a match made in heaven for Wild mode. Wins still count towards your golden hero but you don't have to tank your standard ranked running a deck with every battlecry minion in the game or whatever.

wiibomb

I got today a quest about 10 enraged minions and I'm having difficult to do it... the only deck I have with enrage minions is a very weak warrior buff...

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be scared. Your ranked chest is always for the highest level you've achieved, so there's no punishment for losing ranks (other than mental anguish, lol).

There's no real downside. You'll get your rank 14 rewards at the end of the season even if you do go back to rank 20. There's nothing to lose really (except for the games...).

That sounds like a deck I want to play.

There's literally nothing at risk, like the others have said - play and have fun. :)

... I don't think I knew that.

Well then there's no reason not to keep going.

patchday

ya only bad thing if you lose your rank before end of month the "ranked chest screen" text will be based on your current rank even if your highest rank was 14. So let's see you hit 14- you get that chest BUT- the text will be based on the last rank you were before reset. kind of annoying but whatevs

edit- So rank 14 text is something like, "Grats you're in top 25%!!". But if you finish rank 20 well I dunno what it says since I havent finished at rank 20 in forevers

Levi

Banned
I got today a quest about 10 enraged minions and I'm having difficult to do it... the only deck I have with enrage minions is a very weak warrior buff...

I had that quest yesterday and I just put every enrage card in a Warrior deck, added some weapons, buffs, and spells, and got it done in two games (one of which I won because I dropped a 10/12 Spiteful Smith that my opponent couldn't deal with.)

... I don't think I knew that.

Well then there's no reason not to keep going.

Also, you're a new player so not thinking of this yet, but if you stick with this game eventually you're going to want earn Golden Heroes, which requires you to get ranked wins. I played a lot of casual when I was new. If I didn't, I'd have more than just 3 Golden Heroes.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Search "enrage".
Build a deck with every enrage card.
Go to Wild or Casual or Casual Wild and just play as many cards as you can.

Xanathus

You also want to do it on Wild because you can put Warbot in your deck. I threw together an enrage deck for the quest and got like 6/8 wins with it.

patchday

Wild is so funny. Was playing my wild pirate rogue deck crammed full of old school pirate cards I could find. my opponent was a greedy Golden mage with Prince malchezzar.

other times Wild is not so funny if they drop Dr. boom or something and i have no answer. Or a priest Lightbombs

wiibomb

It's not like you have to win the game... lol

I had that quest yesterday and I just put every enrage card in a Warrior deck, added some weapons, buffs, and spells, and got it done in two games (one of which I won because I dropped a 10/12 Spiteful Smith that my opponent couldn't deal with.)

Search "enrage".
Build a deck with every enrage card.
Go to Wild or Casual or Casual Wild and just play as many cards as you can.

given that I kind of like that quests give me a chance to play a deck I don't usually play I usually make the best deck I can do to match the quest criteria and then I try to actually win some games while completing the quest.

This quest could be the most difficult for me to build a good deck for, so I might just go and dump it to a wild match to get it done

Dahbomb

Man everyday I don't play Renolock I feel like I am super behind in the tech choices.

People playing Alex now? Well Alex isn't new to Control Lock decks but feels weird still. Good in the mirror and against Priests but still bad against the Patches decks.

Levi

Banned
given that I kind of like that quests give me a chance to play a deck I don't usually play I usually make the best deck I can do to match the quest criteria and then I try to actually win some games while completing the quest.

This quest could be the most difficult for me to build a good deck for, so I might just go and dump it to a wild match to get it done

The deck recipe "Classic Warrior" has several enrage cards and is solidly built. Might be a good list to base your deck on.

I always try to win when I'm doing quests, but if the choice is winning an extra game or getting the quest done faster, I'll choose the latter every time.

wiibomb

The deck recipe "Classic Warrior" has several enrage cards and is solidly built. Might be a good list to base your deck on.

I always try to win when I'm doing quests, but if the choice is winning an extra game or getting the quest done faster, I'll choose the latter every time.

I never thought of the classic recipe... thanks for the suggestion

It's fun to imagine, since I auto-squelch every game, my opponent gloating over his apparent victory the turn before I drop reno and smash their dreams to oblivion. This rogue popped my ice block the turn after I alex'd their face instead of healing my own. They probably thought I made some huge mistake. They just sat there after ice block triggered, waiting for me to concede. Probably spamming well played. Then I played kazakus, got an 8 damage spell, hit his face bringing him down to 7, and healed to full. They of course conceded.

It was glorious.

Levi

Banned
I feel for f2p people. At Rank 18 on Asia and trying to do a mage quest and it's all golden heroes with meta decks vs my "these are the best packs I've opened" budget mage.

Cool, lose to Reno Mage because they get Jaraxxus off of Kazakus Potion and Pyroblast off of Cabalist's Tome.

This game is fucking stupid, but of course Blizzard thinks people actually enjoy this kind of shit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's fun to imagine, since I auto-squelch every game, my opponent gloating over his apparent victory the turn before I drop reno and smash their dreams to oblivion. This rogue popped my ice block the turn after I alex'd their face instead of healing my own. They probably thought I made some huge mistake. They just sat there after ice block triggered, waiting for me to concede. Probably spamming well played. Then I played kazakus, got an 8 damage spell, hit his face bringing him down to 7, and healed to full. They of course conceded.

It was glorious.

This is probably the worst post in this thread :)

Levi

Banned
Cool, lose to Reno Mage because they get Jaraxxus off of Kazakus Potion and Pyroblast off of Cabalist's Tome.

Well I got roped all game by a Pirate Warrior on my lunch break, and I had lethal on board and he had no cards, but guess who topdecks mortal strike for lethal?

I got to have my time wasted and I didn't even finish my quest on my lunch hour. :(

I should have conceded but I hate being BMed and didn't want to give him the satisfaction, plus I felt I was winning.

Meaningless game on a server I barely play and I'm still getting mad, lol.

patchday

This game is fucking stupid, but of course Blizzard thinks people actually enjoy this kind of shit.

because you do otherwise you would not be posting in this thread I'd hope. because that would not make sense to play a game you do not find fun right?

Well I got roped all game by a Pirate Warrior on my lunch break, and I had lethal on board and he had no cards, but guess who topdecks mortal strike for lethal?

I got to have my time wasted and I didn't even finish my quest on my lunch hour. :(

I should have conceded but I hate being BMed and didn't want to give him the satisfaction, plus I felt I was winning.

Meaningless game on a server I barely play and I'm still getting mad, lol.

Good job, always be more stubborn than your opponent.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so to sum up, people hate losing to aggro decks, hate losing to control decks, and hate losing to midrange decks, and all of them are bullshit.

so to sum up, people hate losing to aggro decks, hate losing to control decks, and hate losing to midrange decks, and all of them are bullshit.

I only hate losing to decks where you cannot interact with their strategy. So decks like freeze mage.

It's gotten a lot better though since OG due to additional ways for classes to gain armor besides warrior. And dirty rat lets you pull alexstrasza or evolved kobold from their hand, which is obviously a big deal.

Lyng

It was glorious.

Awsome! :D

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
^yes, never give up to someone BM'ing hoping you concede

lol how come ?

Only half serious, but my immediate reaction to reading about someone inventing fantasies so they can cast them self as the good guy underdog against the mean bully despite playing a reno deck is pretty much this:

Rd05jYY.gif

Reno is never a hero. Reno is the villain of Hearthstone.

Levi

Banned

I just flat out hate losing. Like, playing wild casual with a auto-generated deck while I'm watching a movie--I still wanna win! But I'm over judging people for the decks they choose. All I can control is my own deck choices.

you forgot, and fuck Priest.

Except, yeah, fuck Priests. ;)

Reno is never a hero. Reno is the villain of Hearthstone.

Says the guy with a Yogg avatar. Fight the REAL enemy

Dahbomb

Aggro decks are the worst for the new player or for people who like to experiment with cool/weird decks.

Control, combo and midrange decks give the other player time to set up and proceed with their game plan. Aggro decks are basically "I have this threat, you don't have an answer? Now you loss". Very little interactivity there.

Combo decks people will always get hate because HS has been built up as this game where playing on board is the main appeal and decks that bypass will always get hated on. And before Dirty Rat we didn't have much counter play against it either. It's a fundamental issue with the game.

Honestly among Rag, Dirty Rat and Eater of Secrets there are enough options to demolish Freeze Mage in the meta.

Levi

Banned
Agree'd on Reno being stinky. I'll be glad when that card rotates out

Me too. I don't hate the card but I think if Reno leaves the design team will give us some more powerful healing cards.. maybe we can run a control lock without having to run one-ofs? Wouldn't that be nice.

Shinypogs

I'm pretty sure that when I first started playing in June my most bitched about was reno. As a new player who hadn't spent any money I was pretty much relegated to a wip zoolock and there was nothing worse than watching my opponent heal to full and fucking rogues then bouncing him back to hand and such. Eventually I learned to accept reno decks and how to deal with them as a zoolock and secret hunter. I still lost sometimes but it felt less rigged. Except mages who ran reno and iceblock and yogg. Yogg can die in the gutters of gadgetzan.

Now I'm a renolock player bringing dispair to others so the cycle may continue.

Still I look forward to the big cycle next year just to see what kinds of new mechanics we get and how drastic the change in the meta will be.

bunbun777

Well I love raza. 5/5 for 5 that effects the rest of the game in a positive manner, to me that's a great legendary. Him aya and patches are the 3 gold legendaries I crafted, kazakus was in my first pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom