• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Man everyday I don't play Renolock I feel like I am super behind in the tech choices.

People playing Alex now? Well Alex isn't new to Control Lock decks but feels weird still. Good in the mirror and against Priests but still bad against the Patches decks.
Twisting nether also bad against Patches deck itz what people replacing with Alex anýway

And Alex can be bit more useful

wiibomb

Mean Streets Crafting Guide:

http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/hearthstone-crafting-guide-mean-streets-gadgetzan-meta/

Not sure I agree with Raza making the list as one of the first MSG legendaries to craft, but otherwise in my brief look I didn't see anything too egregious. What do you guys think?

There are sure a lot of legendaries to craft from MSG, I'm so glad...

I won't be avoiding crafting patches, it seems, I'll be crafting Aya, Kazakus and Patches then. a shame I still have a lot of legendaries to craft from classic.

Dahbomb

Twisting nether also bad against Patches deck itz what people change with Alex anýway

And Alex can be bit more useful
Twisting Nether still great against Jade decks, Midrange Shaman decks, Dragon Warrior, Dragon Priest and the occasional weird deck that likes to put stuff on the board. Alex is useful in far less match ups.

Neither are great in the Patches match up but Twisting covers a broader scope of match ups which is useful at rank 10-5.

patchday

guess I've gotten lucky with packs I got all the core legends (rag, sylvannas, malygos, & alex) from them. did have to craft jenkins

Interesting N'zoth on that list. never gotten much use out of that card. the key deathrattles like sylvannas & tirion have a high tendency to get hexed.

guess the thought is since there's so much aggro and not as many polymorphs it is time for zoth but I'd say hell no

[edit] wait a sec- I did have to craft rag & sylvannas actually

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
thinking about dusting my golden Finja since I don't have warleaders so it doesn't really make sense to make Murloc decks anyway

fertygo

Twisting Nether still great against Jade decks, Midrange Shaman decks, Dragon Warrior, Dragon Priest and the occasional weird deck that likes to put stuff on the board. Alex is useful in far less match ups.

Neither are great in the Patches match up but Twisting covers a broader scope of match ups which is useful at rank 10-5.
From my experience you rarely use nether against midrange deck you can have enough aoe already.. against Jade Druid if you forced to nether you might lose anyway because its so expensive and you likely not play anything else and not get initiative

Might as well play Alex in neutral-win position to kill the Druid fast

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
thinking about dusting my golden Finja since I don't have warleaders so it doesn't really make sense to make Murloc decks anyway

Warleaders are important in any Murloc deck and you'll eventually want to ability to make those for the Murlocalypse quest.

Dahbomb

From my experience you rarely use nether against midrange deck you can have enough aoe already.. against Jade Druid if you forced to nether you might lose anyway because its so expensive and you likely not play anything else and not get initiative

Might as well play Alex in neutral-win position to kill the Druid fast
Twisting allows you to win from a losing position, Alex doesn't. That's the key difference here.

You play Alex, and they taunt up or go face to kill you faster. By that stage their Golems are massive and if you play Alex into a couple of beefy Golems you are donezo.

In most cases when I played Alex in the past, it was more useful in the classic Handlock deck because if you got a couple of giants to stick you won the game with Alex. You also didn't have the burst heal options that you do now also you didn't have Leeroy combo because of no Emperor. All of that changed which is why Alex got taken out. People are still in that experimentation phase right now but Alex probably gets the cut pretty soon. Alex in general is pretty bad in non Ice Block, non armor classes because those decks can afford the turn skip. At least with Jaraxxus you can deal 3 damage to something and with discount/coin play a 6/6 too... and people think Jaraxus is terrible in the meta too.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Golden Patches, nice.

I was sure Van Cleef was going to get stranded in your hand with how few cards you had but I was happy to be wrong! Cool game.

Yeah I was lucky enough to open Golden Patches in one of my first packs. That'll be nice when he gets nerfed, lol.

I had a coin in the pocket of the Tomb Pillager, so I was sort of expecting I would use that to make Van Cleef a 6/6 or something. Since he already burned one of his hexes on the first Questing Adventurer I figured even a 6/6 Van Cleef would present enough a threat to help me close out the game. Turns out I didn't even need to use that coin.

Dahbomb

Also forgot to mention that A LOT of these Reno decks love doing Bran into Kazakus onto summon 3 minions on board. Twisting beats that in the Reno match ups, not just against Warlock but Mage and Priests too. I have gotten a lot of play from that card as of late both on Wild and on Standard.

Also Dirty Rat into Twisting Nether the god play.

fertygo

Twisting allows you to win from a losing position, Alex doesn't. That's the key difference here.

You play Alex, and they taunt up or go face to kill you faster. By that stage their Golems are massive and if you play Alex into a couple of beefy Golems you are donezo.
You also donezo ifyou play nether against Jade druid most of the time

Its the point there is more opportunity for Alex won you games against Jade Druid from even or win position than Twisting Nether save you from rough spot and you pull comeback its rarely happens if this matchup reach that point.

Anyway its just tech choice at some point you only queuing patches, mirror, druid or Priest so tech one card is a ok.

Some known player also not think alex is better than nether

Dahbomb

I would probably play Rag over Alex if I was worried about Jade Druids.

I don't mind people playing Alex. I love that people are bringing out all the techs. Every Reno deck I see is different from each other in a few cards and that's good for the game. Makes it so that there is room for individuality and self thinking. Makes it harder to net deck too because each Renolock deck is teched to the rank it is in.

Hell I play Jaraxxus and no Mountain Giant. Why? Well I already said many times how Mountain Giant is usually bad but Jaraxxus is not good in the current meta if you want pure min and max (hell usually worse than Mountain Giant)... but the day I stop playing Jaraxxus in a Control Warlock deck is the day I stop playing Hearthstone. But I can still do this because it's just one card in the deck and I believe in the rest of my cards to help me through.

Only half serious, but my immediate reaction to reading about someone inventing fantasies so they can cast them self as the good guy underdog against the mean bully despite playing a reno deck is pretty much this:

Rd05jYY.gif

Reno is never a hero. Reno is the villain of Hearthstone.

He was waiting for me to concede. That is what people do in this game. They think they've won and they just sit there.

squidyj

I was worried i had lost it there when I went out to an 0/2 start on this old as dirt arena draft. up to 5/2 now so I'm sure i'll lose it before i hit 7 but this is fine.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Man when you get a good Dirty Rat play it is the best thing in this game. Pulling their Reno or Doomsayer or Kazakus or other high value card in the Reno v Reno matchup is just back breaking.

You can wreck so badly with that card. It balances out those times that you pull their random Ragarnos or Small Time Buc when you wanted something else.

Dahbomb

I always see Reckless Rocketeer as a decent Leeroy substitute, and I wrong?
One more mana for 1 less damage.

Nah it's not good. Harder to combo and two less damage all around with the full combo (so 18 damage vs 20). And you need the Emperor to hit all targets.

I would much rather use that new Hog card that gains Charge if the opponent has high cards in hand (6 mana 6/6) or even Argent Commander if I just need a board control charger.

wiibomb

One more mana for 1 less damage.

Nah it's not good. Harder to combo and two less damage all around with the full combo (so 18 damage vs 20). And you need the Emperor to hit all targets.

I would much rather use that new Hog card that gains Charge if the opponent has high cards in hand (6 mana 6/6) or even Argent Commander if I just need a board control charger.

I always though leeroy was strictly a finisher, so by having a similar damage minion with charge would be important, I always thought Hog to be way too much situational

I had 2 10 mana potions in hand against renolock. My strategy with reno mage this time around was to win in the late game. Both those spells had 6 damage AOE and summoned minions, one 3 resurrect and one 8/8. But then I got ice lance off cabalist's tome. And with a roaring torch and frost bolt in the deck, along with a ice block on to protect from combo and reno in hand in case he did pop it, I never actually got to use the kazakus potions... because I innocently pinged his face one turn and lethal'd him the next.

Jaraxxus breeds so much over-confidence imo. Using it before your opponent has expended barely any burn... is such a mistake. But I think he felt it was necessary because of ice block beating his combo and because of him running out of cards soon.

Dahbomb

I always though leeroy was strictly a finisher, so by having a similar damage minion with charge would be important, I always thought Hog to be way too much situational
Reckless is just harder to combo and does less damage. Just strictly worse in every way if you goal is to combo.

Mirror images > arcanite reaper. I ended up absorbing 10 damage off mirror images off of ethereal conjurer. Even let me alex his face instead of my own. Ethereal all in all saved me 16 points of damage as he mortal striked to try to extend his life 1 turn. It didn't help.

Levi

Banned
I always see Reckless Rocketeer as a decent Leeroy substitute, and I wrong?

Like, you can throw Reckless in a budget aggro deck but it's a lot worse than Leeroy. Paying one more mana for one less damage is a big deal.

Doesn't mean you can't do it, just that it's not optimal.

I wouldn't do it in Renolock. I'd run Nzoth or Cthun as a finisher instead of the Leeroy / Faceless combo tbh.

Dahbomb

Cthun Renolock boys.

Use the Bran plus Doomcaller combo to get two more Cthuns in. You only need to run like 2-3 Cthun buffers too, don't even need Twin Emperors.

You can use PO to kill your own Cthun against Sylvanas/Entomb. Plays.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Cthun Renolock boys.

Use the Bran plus Doomcaller combo to get two more Cthuns in. You only need to run like 2-3 Cthun buffers too, don't even need Twin Emperors.

You can use PO to kill your own Cthun against Sylvanas/Entomb. Plays.

Seems slower than Leeroy but maybe likelier to win against druid.

I think I just played the dumbest pirate warrior. How'd he get to rank 4? Who knows. But he plays leeroy jenkins early and actually trades with one of the whelps instead of going face. Oh, his frothing berserker was bigger but frozen so it couldn't attack... then they both died like 1 health minions tend to do in this game. After having a strong start... what... He also kept removing everything I played as if face wasn't the place.

gutshot

So I heard Aggro Shaman is pretty good...

Hit rank 1 for the first time ever. I think I might be able to achieve one of my long term goals and get Legend this month. FeelsGoodMan

I also thought it was funny, when I won my game to get me to rank 1, I got this as a reward:

Thanks Ben Brode!

KuroNeeko

Played a game (at Rank 14 lol) with my Reno Meme Priest against a Midrange Shaman.

It was pretty close, but Mind Games → Flametongue Portal was pretty bad for me. Y'shaarj into new Hogger was almost enough to turn it around, but lost to his Barnes → Thunder Bluff Valiant.

Guy sends me a friend request and I answer with "gg, dude." He says, "Seems like that deck would get boring...."

Huh?

Next game played against a Rogue who let me keep a turn four Barnes → Confessor. He had a dagger up and everything. "Happy Feast of Winterveil."

Played through the game and I conceded to give him the win with "Happy Feast of Winterveil."

See? Who says you can't have fun on the ladder? lol

KuroNeeko

Gold magma rager? lol

Also forgot to mention that A LOT of these Reno decks love doing Bran into Kazakus onto summon 3 minions on board. Twisting beats that in the Reno match ups, not just against Warlock but Mage and Priests too. I have gotten a lot of play from that card as of late both on Wild and on Standard.

I feel like removing TN from Reno Lock is a bad, bad idea.

There was a time in the game when twisting nether was considered too slow. Now it's considered too good to go. I don't remember it becoming that popular til reno and that makes sense. They didn't have as many AOEs as they have now.

Triz

When you have the combo quest (and win 5 as rogue or warrior) and I stuff a deck with 17 combo cards. Take it into casual and win 3-3 games with it. Mind blown right now.

Dahbomb

There was a time in the game when twisting nether was considered too slow. Now it's considered too good to go. I don't remember it becoming that popular til reno and that makes sense. They didn't have as many AOEs as they have now.
Twisting Nether's problem previously was that it was terrible against Deathrattles. You would skip a turn clearing their board and they would just comeback to life.

By itself Twisting has always been fine but it was not until Standard where people gave it another shot. Rightfully so. And previously you could just play double Shadowflame and double Hellfire you needed clears so the highlander decks opened up space for Twisting.

Can we talk about how bad Doom is? And Chogall? God damn those cards are ass.

Alright Chogall not as much but Doom has always been a garbage card for Warlock.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twisting Nether's problem previously was that it was terrible against Deathrattles. You would skip a turn clearing their board and they would just comeback to life.

By itself Twisting has always been fine but it was not until Standard where people gave it another shot. Rightfully so. And previously you could just play double Shadowflame and double Hellfire you needed clears so the highlander decks opened up space for Twisting.

Alright Chogall not as much but Doom has always been a garbage card for Warlock.

I am pretty confident Doom was made entirely for C'thun to cast it. The only way it would ever be useful is in some ultra niche deck. Like, able to fill your opponent's board up, then cast it for free.

That shit bailed my ass out yesterday....granted I was playing Mage.

JohnCYQ

Been trying out jackiechan's revised egg druid and my own brew of pirate dragon warrior.

I'm like the new egg druid a lot. With average draws I'm still putting out ridiculously sticky boards that most people just can't deal with at 1-5 mana. You do get screwed if all of your buffs end up at the bottom of the deck though (it will happen, because hearthstone.)

Pirate Dragon warrior has a much better midgame and can beat shamans, who would hard-counter pure dragon warriors with taunts. Oh, and wrathion is just so good, potentially drawing more than 1 card. I don't know why people run curator instead. I decided to cut out frothings entirely though, I just feel that they don't do anything if you are behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom