• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
could you fine people assist me in fine tuning my mid-budget reno priest deck? i have a pretty good winrate (82% in 11 games) so far but i do think i have a couple of dud cards that can be replaced especially chromaggus. i don't have chillmaw and ysera but if the latter is really needed to bump up the quality of my deck, i'm willing to use all my dust on it.

looks better than mine

I don't really have the right dragons to make that synergy work, and I don't have doomsayer either. I would just echo what other people have said, in that you probably need a couple more early drops.

rahji

correct me if I am wrong but I thought it is not possible to get purify in arena. I played a cabal courier and then this happened:

hearthstonescreenshot73s4y.png

I chose Anomalus

wiibomb

correct me if I am wrong but I thought it is not possible to get purify in arena. I played a cabal courier and then this happened:

hearthstonescreenshot73s4y.png

I chose Anomalus

only in arena drafts, that doesn't mean you can't discover it or randomly get it through card generation in a game

Ladekabel

Got a 5 win warrior quest and a arena run with warrior. Since I don't think I'll make it this far in arena: What is a good MSoG addition to a Wild N'Zoth Patron Warrior? Can't think of any that would fit.

Finalow

yet again, another awful brawl.

I'm assuming they're planning to bring back the heroic brawl, do we know when though? The last time I didn't play it but I might when it comes back.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I would probably be ok with Charge being unable to go face the turn it's played.

I wouldn't want every charge card restricted to NEVER going face, but I think the "charge turn" if you only let them trade it might make a less burst oriented game. That said without those burst combos and such, the only combo deck would be OTKs like Freeze Mage and whatever other weird ones can do it with splells only (Priest?).

Pooya

removing burst from the game creates other problems. You don't want the game become grindy and a slog either.

Leeroy is fine, actually that's how charge should be budgeted. On a legendary and high mana cards like Grommash. One of finishers. The only charge offender right now are Kor'Kron and Alex Champion.

The main issue in the game right now are weapons, they are just busted more than charge minions. A good way to change it is that on the turn you equip a weapon, you can't hit face with so you give your opponent a turn to react and they can be used for board control like they are now. Otherwise as they are now, they are better than one time use burn spells in most situations. Sure taunt stops it but they have several charges instead of one, and they cost less than a similar one time spell. It's just too good. Whichever class that has the best weapon is at the top of the meta in history of this game. It was paladin before with muster and coghammer, now shaman and warrior is always there. Board control and damage for several turns in one card is too much.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
removing burst from the game creates other problems. You don't want the game become grindy and a slog either.

Leeroy is fine, actually that's how charge should be budgeted. On a legendary and high mana cards like Grommash. One of finishers. The only charge offender right now is Kor'Kron.

The main issue in the game right now are weapons, they are just busted more than charge minions. A good way to change it is that on the turn you equip a weapon, you can't hit face with so you give your opponent a turn to react and they can be used for board control like they are now. Otherwise as they are now, they are better than one time use burn spells in most situations. Sure taunt stops it but they several charges instead of one, and they cost less than a similar one time spell.

I think the solution to weapons (since every class can't have them for whatever reason, Lore LOL), is to make weapon removal more prevalent. Just forcing every deck to include Ooze isn't really enough as Ooze by itself isn't good in most situations when you'd rather play a class card with better stats or a that actually does something toward your win condition. If the classes without weapons had more access to weapon removal that was PROACTIVE (for instance break a weapon and prevent equipping a weapon for a turn, or equip a really crappy weapon for your opponent automatically, or more ways to freeze opponents) it would be much more fair. Of course, then you might run into a world where Freeze Mage is insane and that isn't any better.

As it stands, weapon classes get a bunch of charge damage that is currently more efficient than the nuke spells that the other classes get. I don't know the solution, but I do know that losing to OTK decks sucks MORE than what we have now. So I'm OK with the current state vs that. Unless Hearthstone allows more interactivity between opponents and across turns, there isn't really a great soltuion to burst damage being good in this game. It will always be good.

squidyj

Playing against Rogue, and she got auchenai and darkshire alchemist for exact lethal.

The perfect RNG.

mind blast
flash heal
embrace shadows
Holy Fire.
potentially spawn of shadows depending on board state and coins.
same with 2x holy smite

Not quite a 1-out.

I think the solution to weapons (since every class can't have them for whatever reason, Lore LOL), is to make weapon removal more prevalent. Just forcing every deck to include Ooze isn't really enough as Ooze by itself isn't good in most situations when you'd rather play a class card with better stats or a that actually does something toward your win condition. If the classes without weapons had more access to weapon removal that was PROACTIVE (for instance break a weapon and prevent equipping a weapon for a turn, or equip a really crappy weapon for your opponent automatically, or more ways to freeze opponents) it would be much more fair. Of course, then you might run into a world where Freeze Mage is insane and that isn't any better.

As it stands, weapon classes get a bunch of charge damage that is currently more efficient than the nuke spells that the other classes get. I don't know the solution, but I do know that losing to OTK decks sucks MORE than what we have now. So I'm OK with the current state vs that. Unless Hearthstone allows more interactivity between opponents and across turns, there isn't really a great soltuion to burst damage being good in this game. It will always be good.

I wouldn't mind seeing a card that discovers a battlecry from a set of options with one of the options being weapon destruction. The real problem is against Deck X the effect can be exceptional "lol fuck your doomhammer" but most of the time it's not worth anything at all whatsoever and in constructed cards with just stats on a single body are just not worth that much. So even if you valued the weapon destruction at 0 mana the hate tech isn't going to be worth it.

Dahbomb

Charge on Leeroy is fine, it's flavor full. Make it a unique effect with a draw back.

Charge in general is a terrible mechanic for these HS-esque clone games. Shadowverse had this but now they are replacing their Storm (aka Charge) with Rush (Charge but can't attack face that turn).

Weapons were clearly designed to be used on the board for tempo at the cost of HP. That's generally fine but when they can point towards face is when they can become degenerate.

I know they printed Taunts to counter Charge but Taunts don't do anything after the fact... the damage has already been done.

squidyj

Charge on Leeroy is fine, it's flavor full. Make it a unique effect with a draw back.

Charge in general is a terrible mechanic for these HS-esque clone games. Shadowverse had this but now they are replacing their Storm (aka Charge) with Rush (Charge but can't attack face that turn).

Weapons were clearly designed to be used on the board for tempo at the cost of HP. That's generally fine but when they can point towards face is when they can become degenerate.

I know they printed Taunts to counter Charge but Taunts don't do anything after the fact... the damage has already been done.

would be a terrible change in hearthstone unless you're adding stats to existing charge minions. 4 mana deal 4 to a minion can't go through taunt no upside is an absolutely unplayable card. and if you pretend kor'kron would be more than that in anything other than a small handful of situations you're fucking kidding yourself.

Not to mention the fact that players should be forced to play around damage from hand, you shouldn't be able to win every matchup by only considering what's on board. if that's the extent of your thought process when you play hearthstone you deserve rank 25.

Oh wow these rank comments actually exist lol.

Charge is a detriment to HS because you can't actively block and taunts are so awful in the game right now they are not enough to stop continuous damage from hand. Especially since the former has better redundancy while actively furthering the gameplan while the latter is tech against an aggro meta you have to dilute your deck with.

Dahbomb

No one is saying they should just replace Charge wholesale without changing up stats on the minions. It goes without saying that the charge minions would get their stats based on the new mechanic to balance them out. Maybe they can add new quirks to them like being able to have Windfury while having pseudo Charge.

As far as playing around damage from hand... cool that should be a thing but you can't play around people chucking damage to your face turn 1-4. Wow the counter play against Patches turn one from Nzoth First Mate. .. There is no counter play here, there is no decision making. There is hardly a difference between rank 25 Pirate Warrior and a rank 1 Legend PW in the beginning few turns (since rank was so keenly brought into the discussion).

squidyj

Oh wow these rank comments actually exist lol.

Charge is a detriment to HS because you can't actively block and taunts are so awful in the game right now they are not enough to stop continuous damage from hand. Especially since the former has better redundancy while actively furthering the gameplan while the latter is tech against an aggro meta you have to dilute your deck with.

maybe you shouldn't be able to build an entirely greedy deck that plays only to it's own gameplan. maybe being able to do that would actually be a bad thing.

maybe you shouldn't be able to build an entirely greedy deck that plays only to it's own gameplan. maybe being able to do that would actually be a bad thing.

I mean I can build a deck that has various taunts from 2 to 6 but that's hardly skillful nor playing around anything. I just build a deck that counters Pirate Warrior and loses to everything else.
Hyperbole aside, say you need 26 cards to make a competitive deck across the board, that leaves you with 4 cards you can slot in cards against specific matchups. PW is the kind of deck that id you don't draw any of those you're fucked.

tells me everything i need to know.

Keep spewing one liner insults as people pick apart your argument. It's a good look for you.

I guess I dreamed all those times I chose to heal my face rather than play a taunt because my read on the situation was that he had burn and not charge minions, or vice verse.

Okay saying it doesn't exist is a bit facetious but it's pretty obvious what I meant. There is no reasonable counterplay to charge. Just as there's no reasonable counterplay to spell burst since Loatheb rotated out.

charge used to be so bad i took aggro priest to single digit ranks last year before standard dropped. mindblast is by far the best aggro card in the game. it gave me t4/5 wins akin to pirate warrior now; it just didn't have anywhere near the consistency

squidyj

I guess I dreamed all those times I chose to heal my face rather than play a taunt because my read on the situation was that he had burn and not charge minions, or vice verse.

Or the time I chose an aggressive line of play to close things out because I determined my opponent, despite being an aggro deck, couldn't have enough damage on 2 cards.

Or the time I played around exactly leeroy combo for 3 turns to win by knowing what i needed out of each of my turns. A combo my opponent broke in order to extend the game. didn't save him.

Or the time I chose an aggressive line of play to close things out because I determined my opponent, despite being an aggro deck, couldn't have enough damage on 2 cards.

Or the time I played around exactly leeroy combo for 3 turns to win by knowing what i needed out of each of my turns. A combo my opponent broke in order to extend the game. didn't save him.

Or the time it's smart to not play around leeroy combo because playing around leeroy combo is more likely to lead to a loss than not playing around it.

squidyj

I mean I can build a deck that has various taunts from 2 to 6 but that's hardly skillful nor playing around anything. I just build a deck that counters Pirate Warrior and loses to everything else.
Hyperbole aside, say you need 26 cards to make a competitive deck across the board, that leaves you with 4 cards you can slot in cards against specific matchups. PW is the kind of deck that id you don't draw any of those you're fucked.

If you build a slow deck and you refuse to tech too much towards the aggro matchups you should expect to lose them a reasonable amount of the time. If those matches represent a significant portion of your losses you should consider teching more strognly against that kind of deck.
If you have 26 core cards you should reconsider what it actually means for a card to be core.
If you try numerous variations and can't generate enough of a winrate then you should consider that your deck idea might be bad or you are playing it incorrectly.

Not every deck concept has to be good just like not every card has to be great.

Or the time it's smart to not play around leeroy combo because playing around leeroy combo is more likely to lead to a loss than not playing around it.

that too. Learning what to play around and what not to play around, how your deck can actually manage to win the matchup and understanding that for some matchups if deck x gets the right cards they mostly just win so there's no point playing around them, just hoping they don't have it or that you can kill them before they get it, etc.

I would say in my game the situation my opponent dropped emperor in was a pretty clear tell that combo was in hand so playing around it seemed like a very good idea.

Leeroy is fine, actually that's how charge should be budgeted. On a legendary and high mana cards like Grommash. One of finishers. The only charge offender right now are Kor'Kron and Alex Champion.

The main issue in the game right now are weapons, they are just busted more than charge minions. A good way to change it is that on the turn you equip a weapon, you can't hit face with so you give your opponent a turn to react and they can be used for board control like they are now. Otherwise as they are now, they are better than one time use burn spells in most situations. Sure taunt stops it but they have several charges instead of one, and they cost less than a similar one time spell. It's just too good. Whichever class that has the best weapon is at the top of the meta in history of this game. It was paladin before with muster and coghammer, now shaman and warrior is always there. Board control and damage for several turns in one card is too much.

I like how Eternal addresses the weapon issue. If you have a weapon equipped, you can't hit face with it unless your opponent has no minions. So it encourages board play and removal instead of facemonkey.

meme priest time

Auctionmaster Beardo + Nexus-Champion Saraad + Raza the Chained + Shadowform = Win

he has so many dumb meme combos they just require so much lol!

cloaked huntress + beardo + handfull of secrets

...how do i fill hand as a hunter shit

oh well, hopefully one week this year there will be a spell brawl and he will be insane

scarlet

1. Played a lot of Reno mage before MSoG
2. Crafted Kazakus to make Reno mage better.
3. Rarely played Reno mage/lock

1. Never played priest other than tutorial before MSoG
2. Now stuck with dragon priest.

And it's all in 3 weeks.

M9yw5ZR.png

i don't recommend arcanite reaper, you can do much better than that by hitting 3 upgrades on a weapon which is ez to do

its very degenerate, save heroic strike in mulligan if facing a priest or warrior (frothing or dragon taunts/deathlord) other than that, try to combo with ships cannon and upgrade a cheap weapon and ride it to victory

owl is a good tech for frothing if you run into too many sludge belchers, some people use an ooze but i don't think it works with the strategy, owl is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom