• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That Hunter COTW nerf from 8 to 9 looks stupid on Blizzard's part seeing as they had to see the game was gonna swing towards other aggro.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The COTW nerf was needed. That card was stupid at 8 mana. It's still good at 9 mana, just not broken.

Well, this just happened.

aHPi9pj.png

Drakonid Operative. SeemsBalanced.

luoapp

What is the most gold you've seen someone has/had? You need to be good at arena to earn gold. Never saw any one with more than 100k.

patchday

Not trying to brag (which would be childish) but I was thinking to myself I dont think I've ever being this successful in a ranked game before. I read that I can hover over my rank in the Quest interface and it says I'm in the Top 9%. Being a working man with family & kids I am usually content to just play games casually and have often just settled for Bronze in MOBAs and the like

Feels good to have a game recognize me. Of course on the other hand- rank only means so much if you know what I mean. We see even pro players make dumb mistakes and miss lethals. Looking forward to absorbing even more info from Hearthstone-gaf as we go into 2017.

Thanks you guys for sharing all your builds and knowledge freely :)

Yes, I know what Aggro is. :)

I know you do Sensei but I got confused. Apologies if my reply aggravated you I was wondering was there a miscommunication

Levi

Banned
Not trying to brag (which would be childish) but I was thinking to myself I dont think I've ever being this successful in a ranked game before. I read that I can hover over my rank in the Quest interface and it says I'm in the Top 9%. Being a working man with family & kids I am usually content to just play games casually and have often just settled for Bronze in MOBAs and the like

I know you do Sensei but I got confused. Apologies if my reply aggravated you I was wondering was there a miscommunication

Hey man, congrats on top 9%!

I wasn't aggravated by your reply at all. I put in a little smiley so you'd know that. :p Like I said, I think it's amusing that part of the thread is really upset by aggro cards, and the other part of the thread is upset by anti-aggro cards / control cards, I think it shows we have a somewhat healthy meta at the moment.

patchday

Yeah this has been my favorite meta but I guess that is to be expected since I was able to save up a lot of gold for packs (plus preorder) and along with the 'accidental refund' from Blizzard put me way over 100 packs so I was able to acquire all the legendaries I was looking forward to. Still missing the 'fringe' legends like Wrathion/Sally/Krul but yeah I don't think I want to burn dust on that stuff.

Granted like either yourself or Dahbomb (think it was you tho) pointed out- a lot of us newer players (WoTG era) have never seen a fast meta like this. Along with that I had come to realize that's more of my style (at least at the moment)

Still occasionally goof off with my Control/Crusher Shaman variants and it has been nice. Just had to realize White Eyes is hex/polymorph bait. I let him absorb the early CC and then put down my big guys after

Dragner

Ive done some experimental research lately. I usually auto-squellch but tried leaving it up for a couple days just because chistmas makes people happy right?.

Wrong, every time my opponents won they BM me every single time except for 2 persons (you are cool guys). And when I won I received a couple of friend requests to tell me "kys" or how they liked the sex with my mom last night.

Good ol HS community. As lovely as always.

Levi

Banned
Granted like either yourself or Dahbomb (think it was you tho) pointed out- a lot of us newer players (WoTG era) have never seen a fast meta like this. Along with that I had come to realize that's more of my style (at least at the moment)

Yeah, that was me. People got too used to midrange Shaman pushing all the aggro decks out of the meta. People want to paint the current meta's speed as an anomaly, but it just isn't so.

Goddamn I hate playing against good dragon priests...

You don't need to be good to pilot dragon priest. It's the very definition of a curve deck. Saturate your mana every turn and hope the over-statted minions you're dropping down carry you to victory. If that doesn't work, high roll with the completely broken Drakonid OP.

There are friendly people to be found.

Just not on ladder, lol. That brings out the worst in everyone.

Merry Christmas HSGAF.

I hope all your packs contain legendaries, and all your RNG is favorable.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

I decided to treat myself this Winterveil and crafted my favorite MSG card in golden:

Also, if you're feeling unlucky, let me tell you that the very first time I took this deck on ladder, at rank 5, I was matched up with a midrange hunter. Not only a terrible match-up, but a deck that fewer than one percent of people at my rank are playing right now.

I then immediately queued into a Jade Druid, another terrible match-up and another one that isn't common at my rank. Finally saw some decent match-ups before having a nailbiter with a renolock. I just couldn't stay at a safe health total in the late game despite being well ahead on board.

b3eedebc3ca7f22cb9929377d60554f9.png

Strider

Recently added someone to ask something about his deck , the guy was surprised it wasn't to insult his family.

I try to add folks to discuss decks sometimes but they never accept :(

Can't blame them tho since 99% of the time people just talk shit.. shame it's like that

I have to call this statement (below) out as being so inaccurate. For the last 2~ years we've had largely aggressive midrange/control meta. The most popular "aggressive" decks being played were zoo and dragon warrior, which were both slower than the current top lists being played.

Face decks were not extinct in the meta, of course, with aggro shaman being an okay counter pick in classic, legitimate in GVG, and finally being prominent in once tunnel trogg came out in LOE. Face hunter was powerful in classic, in part response to miracle rogue but countered hard by control warrior, so never really out of hand until naxxramas. Weak but still playable after UT nerf and introduction of healbot. It's always been held in check by various decks. Never the top of the meta and not widespread since UT nerf. Aggressive midrange has been the hunter's top deck for a while but currently weak in this meta as it's too slow to compete with real aggro decks and not fast enough to beat reno control decks, probably also loses to rogue as they've never fared well due to sap on highmane. Mechmage saw a large but short stint of popularity and quickly transitioned from an aggro deck to a midrange deck so I don't even really consider mech mage to be an aggro deck.Burn warrior had a short time of popularity in beta/classic era. Once zoo hit the scene it became extinct. Zoo has been a large reason aggro decks don't fare that well. Patches changed the story. On the other hand, I've seen a patches zoo deck over twitter. Zoo is an aggro deck and is perhaps the only aggro deck that has been strong throughout hearthstone, but it's not a face deck. It's an aggro board control deck.

Long story short, we haven't seen such an aggressive meta since naxxramas and naxxramas was the only period where we saw such dominance of aggressive decks. I don't know why anyone would "paint" the meta as anything but abnormal. We're talking about a meta of aggro shaman, what I would call aggro dragon warrior, the most aggressive miracle rogue we've ever had, the most aggressive aggro warrior we've ever had, the most aggressive midrange shaman we've ever had (jade shaman), and midrange shaman which can curve out like an aggro deck.

Why would anyone sugar coat it? IMO it's easily the most aggressive meta we've ever had. Sure, not ever single one of those decks is an aggro deck, but it is not important what we label the decks in terms of archetype. They're still incredibly aggressive. We've never had a meta with this many aggressive decks before.

Yeah, that was me. People got too used to midrange Shaman pushing all the aggro decks out of the meta. People want to paint the current meta's speed as an anomaly, but it just isn't so.

KuroNeeko

Losing ranks like crazy. It's just Dragon Priest after boring-ass Dragon Priest only broken up by boring-ass Reno Lock.

Glad I got my gold Priest because it looks like Blizzard is done pushing the old standard Control Priest, and done with things like Zoth or Rez Priest.

A lot of fun cards out there that no one is playing because it's either AoE for days or you're dead by turn 5-6.

patchday

Yes now is a glorious time to do the Standard Ladder. You know if you win or lose by Turn 5/6. Makes it easy to climb (at least for aggro).

I cant fathom why play anything but a fast deck in this game as long as stuff like Entomb is around. And now Dragon Priest can toss down Brann + Draknoid Operative too.

best decks to run are fast decks or decks that contain legends that Priest cant adequately use (like Aya) since cards like that need other cards to fully utilize it

I am loving Wild ladder too and can get lots of long matches there if I want

edit- Like I said before, I always hated the old meta which I kept having to fight Control Warrior back-to-back. It was awful ;(

Levi

Banned
Losing ranks like crazy. It's just Dragon Priest after boring-ass Dragon Priest only broken up by boring-ass Reno Lock.

Glad I got my gold Priest because it looks like Blizzard is done pushing the old standard Control Priest, and done with things like Zoth or Rez Priest.

A lot of fun cards out there that no one is playing because it's either AoE for days or you're dead by turn 5-6.

I hear ya man. I'm trying to have some fun with Raza so I don't like such an idiot for crafting him, and it's brutal. Loses to aggro and loses to Reno, so what is even the point of the deck? To bully midrange decks? Because there are so many?

Here's the one win I had with the deck today so far:

qFfkWP0.jpg

patchday

I got gold Hobart but I never play warrior, is he safe to dust or should I wait for any card changes

dont dust Hobart he's great in both pirate warrior and the slower Goons variant with Don. Nothing like swinging at your opponent with buffed weapons

Granted it can be argued if he belongs in a pirate warrior but for sure I fit him into my Goons Warrior. I love Warrior quests so much

(funny thing- even before Patches I'd run Pirate Warrior deck to finish my Warrior quests but I am still missing Justicar/1 Brawl/1 Shield Slam. Part of reason I always hated Control Warrior cause I never had the cards to run the deck myself. If I did- I'd know how to beat it like I do Pirate Warriors)

[edit] And you have him Gold. One day you may regret dusting him. I keep all my Gold legendaries. It would have to be a really bad legend for me to dust.

I was losing a shitload of ranks after climbing to 8. I dropped all the way to 13. Pirate Warrior just wasn't working out for me anymore. I switched to Dragon Warrior and now I'm back to 11 and I've only lost 1 game so far. Fierce Monkey and The Curator are bailing my ass out. Maybe I need to throw more taunts into pirate warrior, but I don't know what to cut.

It's insane that PPP just outzoos Zoos. When Zoo loses the board they usually have only a couple turns to close out the game and Patches makes it so you lose the board from the get go.

Midrange Shaman didn't even entirely kill Zoo

Levi

Banned
So, I play cwar and I immediately find a midrange hunter. Weird.

So, I play a control priest, and the worst match up is renolock. Guess what deck I've faced over and over for the last hour straight?

55d0697bfd224882e79d72fb976a8cff.png

Last guy was bad at the game but still OTKed me from 30 health. I would have won this game if Kazakus had offered me 10 armor.

2eodyTD.jpg

Some people are actually trying to argue that Emperor shouldn't rotate, smdh.

It's insane that PPP just outzoos Zoos.

What's PPP?

That just happened to me. I was thinking C'thun Warrior might work out right now but then I played a goddamn Hunter. First Hunter I've seen in days.

Once Emperor rotates out, how am I supposed to do Sylvanas/Brawl. Oh man that's probably my favorite combo to drop in the whole game.

So, I play a control priest, and the worst match up is renolock. Guess what deck I've faced over and over for the last hour straight?

55d0697bfd224882e79d72fb976a8cff.png

Last guy was bad at the game but still OTKed me from 30 health. I would have won this game if Kazakus had offered me 10 armor.

2eodyTD.jpg

What's PPP?
Patches pirate package

The funny thing about PPP for me is that like day 1-3 I never saw patches in hand a single time. It was probably 30 games before I drew patches in my hand. And then that day I drew patches in hand so many times. It was pretty absurd.

Levi

Banned
I'm playing Dwar to get back all the ranks Priest lost me.

So I have lethal against this Shaman, and his only out is a 1/3 to roll a taunt totem, and if he rolls it he wins the next turn since he has an unanswered FWF on board.

Of course, he rolls the taunt totem, and I'm about to concede when I realize I can bluff lethal. I attack the taunt totem with my War Axe, I put him to one, and then I hit the hero power button, which earlier in the game I changed to Druid with Sir Finley.

Despite the fact that you can't attack twice with your hero, my opponent thinks that he is dead and he concedes, giving me the win and a bonus star as I graduate from rank 6 back to rank 5.

Here's the game:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/ZMDz5EGNoAor66DB6N8sJP

It took all morning to drop from 5 to rank 7 (almost 8) and it took about 40 minutes to get back to 5.

I really, really, really regret crafting Raza. Hopefully Highlander Priest will be good in the next expansion and I'll get some use out of it, because I think (barring quests) today is the last day I try using Priest in this meta.

Cool, 30 damage taken on turn 8.

But yes Blizzard, let's not nerf Preparation.

Cards like prep and innervate are super broken, but are part of the core identity of Druid and Rogue so I don't think they'll ever get adjusted.

Isn't it amusing now to look back on all the rioting Redditors were doing over the state of Rogue in MSG, and now it's one of the strongest decks in the meta. Meanwhile, Hunter, Paladin, and non-Reno control decks got curb-stomped while everyone was flipping tables about a class brewmaster.

I didn't expect it to go so well for rogue but they did get a another busted class card in counterfeit coin. Prep and innervate should at least be adjusted up in costs. Free spells always have the potential to be busted in all CCG
The funny thing about PPP for me is that like day 1-3 I never saw patches in hand a single time. It was probably 30 games before I drew patches in my hand. And then that day I drew patches in hand so many times. It was pretty absurd.
Hundreds of games of secret paladin have accustomed me to discarding cards by drawnig them.

Nachos

Ive done some experimental research lately. I usually auto-squellch but tried leaving it up for a couple days just because chistmas makes people happy right?.

Wrong, every time my opponents won they BM me every single time except for 2 persons (you are cool guys). And when I won I received a couple of friend requests to tell me "kys" or how they liked the sex with my mom last night.

I'm really curious. What do people count as BM during a match? Because I've barely gotten any since I started playing in April, and I've never hit the squelch button once. Sure there are the edgelord wannabes who come out swinging with the threats, but I usually respond with "The pleasure is mine"/"Thank you" until they either do a 180 or just stop. I've also only gotten one bad post-match message and encountered maybe five ropers, tops.

manhack

The meta is certainly better than it has been in a long time. There are no decks with zero bad match ups like Mid-range Shaman was after Karazahn. Facing Mid-range shaman in 30% of your games was not fun. But all is not perfect in the meta.

At legend ranks: Shaman is top dog still, but aggro is the best. Pirate Warrior takes second aggro fiddle and despite all the Reddit wailing and moaning pre-MSG release, Rogue is actually the 3rd most popular class in the game. Of course, pirates are a main component of these decks.

Pirates have created strong aggro decks, Jade has created a powerful anti-fatigue mechanic that can punish slower decks, Dragon Priest and Shaman have insane mid-range capabilities and there are several combo decks that can burst you down from full health or close to it. We even see Reno priest do well at higher ranks. Trump is doing quite well with his Dragon Reno priest, but it seems like it is basically a mid-range Dragon Priest in actual play style.

We also have more cards in the card pool than at any time in the history of the game. In theory you could create a wide range of decks from any period of time in the game since Standard was released.

That said I think the failure of the Grimy Goons mechanic means that there has been a failure somewhere in the balancing of the game, but I'm not sure what it is. There is a rock-paper-scissors aspect to the meta that was promised with the Kabal, Jade and Goons, but the Pirates have added a fourth mechanic to the meta; the explosive start.

The top decks right now are either pirates or anti pirates. Everything else is trying to take advantage of one or the other and your success will depend on which style of deck you run into more often.

So no, the meta isn't "all aggro" and it certainly isn't "all control", it's better than Karazahn, but I'm just not sure if it is healthy yet. I'm not a card game expert and really everything depends on if I'm having fun playing the game. Right now it is a mixed bag. Typically I have fun unless I play against shamans and Pirate warriors. Hell even pirate warriors can be fun when you beat them, but a broken shaman start is pretty depressing since you know they are just OP and there was nothing you could do.

With that said, my coffee cup is empty and my essay ends with it.

patchday

I dunno guys I just tossed 'patches and friends' into a Paladin aggro deck and ran over a pirate rogue. Granted I got all kinda swords and stuff in this deck to set off my small-time bucaneer. This was just a Casual match so I wonder how this will fare on the ladder? Got Christmas stuff happening so no time to play the game ;( Just trying to grind out this 'play 10 divine shield minion' quest

I wonder why I never see any Buffadin/Pirate Paladins? Is something there and did I jsut get lucky and my pirate rogue opponent just had a bad hand

oh btw- small-time recruits is the bizness. this my first chance to mess with this card and it is wonderful [edit] Using it for deck thinning along with Patches

grr, just went back to look at replay. That pirate rogue was running gang up. Not really the miracle pirate rogue you'll find on Ladder. Will have to bring the deck to ladder to get a good sample. ugh...

manhack

I think the best way to explain it is my experience with buff Hunter. I have a 60% winrate over 40 games with the worst class in the game. This doesn't mean I've found the holy grail of hunter decks. It just means even the worst decks in the game can stilll be successful for some people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom