• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

Rogue is a class that can lose to itself like no other.

Many times I've had hands look like, prep, prep, coin, cold blood that does absolutely nothing

yeah my friend always complains about this happening to him. Happens to me too sometimes. that type of rogue is the typical miracle rogue that awaits Auctioneer to help get all their lethal together. meanwhile they're getting rekt'ed though if their opponent is playing on tempo

I decided to join the aggro meta and craft Patches. First, I went in to Tavern Brawl and got my...5th Gruul? I swear people have draw tendencies.

Long story short, I gave in to my Johnny tendencies as always and I crafted Mal'Ganis instead of Patches, and now I can play Demonlock like I've wanted to for ages. I went 6-2, so not too bad. Hopefully I can make it to rank 5. What does Demonlock do against Secret Paladin?

Recently added someone to ask something about his deck , the guy was surprised it wasn't to insult his family.
My Christmas miracle would be all online companies coming down on the nasty people that get too caught up in these games.

Levi

Banned
I'm really curious. What do people count as BM during a match?

Emoting, roping, slow-rolling. (For example, having lethal but not showing the lethal card until you've done every other action you can that turn. You should show the lethal card first, so your opponent can concede.)

I think the majority of my opponents use bad manners, so I'm not sure how you aren't seeing that.

The meta is certainly better than it has been in a long time. There are no decks with zero bad match ups like Mid-range Shaman was after Karazahn. Facing Mid-range shaman in 30% of your games was not fun. But all is not perfect in the meta.

I don't think we'll ever have a perfect meta, but the current one has strong decks of all three major archetypes.

Rogue is a class that can lose to itself like no other.

Many times I've had hands look like, prep, prep, coin, cold blood that does absolutely nothing

And then you top deck Gadgetzan and win! Or you Prep/Coin/Concede, lol.

I guess I'm BMing then. I like to emote wows and mistakes.
Part of the reason I'm trying violet teacher is for hands like that

I tried a 1:1 split with Azure Drake and Teacher but ultimately digging into the deck ended up more important and 1/1s are much too vulnerable against several decks.
What does Demonlock do against Secret Paladin?
As always fight for the board against secret paladin if you can't tempo them out.

manhack

I guess I'm BMing then. I like to emote wows and mistakes.

Everyone has different opinions on BM, so it is hard to say for sure. Outside of greetings at the start of a match I assume the rest is superfluous.

For example I think it is BM to say "well played" as you are delivering the lethal blow, where some people see this as good sportsmanship. In my opinion it is up to the loser to declare "well played" at the end of a game or not. The opinions on this matter are so spread out I don't even worry about it anymore since you have no idea if the other person has good intentions or not.

At this point I just squelch as soon as possible so I can focus on the game. I can't imagine how many people waste their time emoting at me these days, but it does improve my temperament during these gaming sessions.

The meta is certainly better than it has been in a long time. There are no decks with zero bad match ups like Mid-range Shaman was after Karazahn. Facing Mid-range shaman in 30% of your games was not fun. But all is not perfect in the meta.

At legend ranks: Shaman is top dog still, but aggro is the best. Pirate Warrior takes second aggro fiddle and despite all the Reddit wailing and moaning pre-MSG release, Rogue is actually the 3rd most popular class in the game. Of course, pirates are a main component of these decks.

Pirates have created strong aggro decks, Jade has created a powerful anti-fatigue mechanic that can punish slower decks, Dragon Priest and Shaman have insane mid-range capabilities and there are several combo decks that can burst you down from full health or close to it. We even see Reno priest do well at higher ranks. Trump is doing quite well with his Dragon Reno priest, but it seems like it is basically a mid-range Dragon Priest in actual play style.

We also have more cards in the card pool than at any time in the history of the game. In theory you could create a wide range of decks from any period of time in the game since Standard was released.

That said I think the failure of the Grimy Goons mechanic means that there has been a failure somewhere in the balancing of the game, but I'm not sure what it is. There is a rock-paper-scissors aspect to the meta that was promised with the Kabal, Jade and Goons, but the Pirates have added a fourth mechanic to the meta; the explosive start.

The top decks right now are either pirates or anti pirates. Everything else is trying to take advantage of one or the other and your success will depend on which style of deck you run into more often.

So no, the meta isn't "all aggro" and it certainly isn't "all control", it's better than Karazahn, but I'm just not sure if it is healthy yet. I'm not a card game expert and really everything depends on if I'm having fun playing the game. Right now it is a mixed bag. Typically I have fun unless I play against shamans and Pirate warriors. Hell even pirate warriors can be fun when you beat them, but a broken shaman start is pretty depressing since you know they are just OP and there was nothing you could do.

With that said, my coffee cup is empty and my essay ends with it.

The meta isn't terrible. It's just really aggressive. I'm not saying it's all aggro, but the top performing decks really are aggressive.

I think the meta is good, unless you want to play something other than patches or reno - then it's very narrow.

For example I think it is BM to say "well played" as you are delivering the lethal blow, where some people see this as good sportsmanship. In my opinion it is up to the loser to declare "well played" at the end of a game or not. The opinions on this matter are so spread out I don't even worry about it anymore since you have no idea if the other person has good intentions or not.

Lol at emoting being BM.

I think a "Well played" isn't BM unless it's mocking a bad play, or doing it over and over again. Otherwise I take them as the emote intends.

There are times my actions could be interpreted as BM but it's not my intent. Like, I drop a "Well played" before I Reno against a face deck.

And of course emotes can be BM; that's why they had to remove "Sorry" from the game. I miss that one when I forget to end my turn, or am away from the game longer than I intended.

Reno Mage uses Brann + Manic Soulcaster on the Brann. About 4 or 5 turns later he drops his Reno and it fizzles.

Certainly not that person's finest moment.

Dahbomb

Long story short, I gave in to my Johnny tendencies as always and I crafted Mal'Ganis instead of Patches, and now I can play Demonlock like I've wanted to for ages. I went 6-2, so not too bad. Hopefully I can make it to rank 5. What does Demonlock do against Secret Paladin
Is this the more Midrange variant with Void Terrors? You leverage your sticky minions and Void Callers to win the early game before Mysterious Challenger comes down. You go wide on the board as Secret Paladin at the most carries a Consecrate and if you are winning on board then you are winning in general.

If you are Renolock/Handlock just with more Demons then you need to bait the Secret Paladin into board clears/Doomsayer and save hard removal for MC. Then close out the game with the big stuff. Also need to play around Divine Favor as much as possible.

Cards like prep and innervate are super broken, but are part of the core identity of Druid and Rogue so I don't think they'll ever get adjusted.

Isn't it amusing now to look back on all the rioting Redditors were doing over the state of Rogue in MSG, and now it's one of the strongest decks in the meta. Meanwhile, Hunter, Paladin, and non-Reno control decks got curb-stomped while everyone was flipping tables about a class brewmaster.

Meant to reply to this earlier but, yeah, the whole situation with Rogue both pre and post expansion is pretty damn amusing to me.

I'm sure Paladin wishes it could be as "bad" as Rogue.

I never thought rogue would be in bad shape after MSOG, but ever since blade flurry was nerfed their options are incredibly narrow and MSOG did little to support decks other than miracle rogue in terms of competitive tier cards. Jade rogue had a small chance simply because it's resilient to decks with heavy removal, a category of decks that has been seen less and less since OG anyway.

scarlet

Oh another druid, okay. I could do this

(Him) Turn 1 Sir Finley, life tap

Okay, WTF is happening here?

(Me) Turn 6 Drakonid.

There's a Finja in his deck? What is this?

eW2Gg1B.png

manhack

Lol at emoting being BM.

All i know is that if I don't squelch at the start of the game there is a constant stream of emotes from most players these days. As I mentioned I don't know what the intent is, but it is more consistent than it has ever been before.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
All i know is that if I don't squelch at the start of the game there is a constant stream of emotes from most players these days. As I mentioned I don't know what the intent is, but it is more consistent than it has ever been before.

I squelch every match because I hate when people emote. Pisses me off.

But every emote is not bm. Most emotes aren't bm.

KuroNeeko

I think I'm ready to call it: Finja is my favorite card of the set.

I like White Eyes, Aya, and REALLY like Raza--but I just can't bring myself to play Dragon Priest, or Reno Dragon Priest. I like stealing stuff as much as the next guy, but Operative is a stupid card and non-dragon Reno just isn't there yet.

Finja is fun-as-hell and he can flip the board like a mutha-shucker.
Not saying he's tier one or anything, but I've been trying him out in a bunch of decks and when he pulls a Bluegill + Warleader it's just....fintastic.

Oh another druid, okay. I could do this

(Him) Turn 1 Sir Finley, life tap

Okay, WTF is happening here?

(Me) Turn 6 Drakonid.

There's a Finja in his deck? What is this?

Druid Zoo deck!

I emote a ton, and its usually not to be toxic, I just think its funny.

For example, at the start of the match I spam greetings until they also greet. Once they do I say thank you and stop.

Also, I hit wow after almost every non typical move.

Some people obviously take it poorly because if I end up losing they will start spamming emotes, which I also think is funny.

manhack

A little early, but here are my stats for the month:

PqGeWr4.png

These are games played across 3 servers US, Asia and Europe. I play alot on my tablet, but having track-o-bot installed since it has windows 10 is a huge boon.

A few thoughts:

I could probably hit Legend if I stuck to one server.

Druid is my worst match-up, but even that isn't so bad.

I did very poorly with Rogue because I was experimenting with crazy stuff.

I think it is evident, that outside of Hunter and Paladin, there is a good distribution of classes.

No idea why Hunter did so well for me, but I will experiment with my deck some more next month.

Hunter and Paladin Suck.

I emote a ton, and its usually not to be toxic, I just think its funny.

For example, at the start of the match I spam greetings until they also greet. Once they do I say thank you and stop.

Also, I hit wow after almost every non typical move.

Some people obviously take it poorly because if I end up losing they will start spamming emotes, which I also think is funny.
I love the emotes. Most of them are hilarious.

My favorite has to be "wow..."
Just so monotone about it.

My run with uber mindless Pirate Warrior in Wild has stalled once again... cannot get past Rank 7. This is coming from someone who usually cannot break Rank 12 playing control decks in Standard, but I should not complain.

One weird thing I have noticed is I am getting matched against a huge range of Ranks right now. Playing people from Rank 10 to Rank 5 when I am sat mid Rank 7. I guess not a large range of people are playing late Christmas night in EU.

I think I should hit Rank 5 before reset through sheer attrition of playing this horrible deck - then I can go back to Rank 12 Standard and have fun losing!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My run with uber mindless Pirate Warrior in Wild has stalled once again... cannot get past Rank 7. This is coming from someone who usually cannot break Rank 12 playing control decks in Standard, but I should not complain.

One weird thing I have noticed is I am getting matched against a huge range of Ranks right now. Playing people from Rank 10 to Rank 5 when I am sat mid Rank 7. I guess not a large range of people are playing late Christmas night in EU.

I think I should hit Rank 5 before reset through sheer attrition of playing this horrible deck - then I can go back to Rank 12 Standard and have fun losing!

What decks are giving you the most trouble?

What decks are giving you the most trouble?

Basically anything with taunts. Worse if it is early taunts (Dragon Priest), I dont think it is a huge issue though as I am winning enough to stay mid Rank 7 and not falling. Just got to stay with it, and probbaly pay more attention - this deck basically encourages me to multitask. I am replying to you as I am playing :p

edit - I won that one!

patchday

I find it easy to multitask this game no matter the deck. I mean- it is turn based. I got a friend that was pushing up legend in old meta with a Control Warrior while we watched Game of Thrones :D

So in what fucking world is the whole Aviana + Kun thing deemed okay?

It's 100% the exact thing Blizzard said they don't want in the game, yet here we are.

fertygo

So in what fucking world is the whole Aviana + Kun thing deemed okay?

It's 100% the exact thing Blizzard said they don't want in the game, yet here we are.

Its ok because its like 7 card combo and the deck can easily countered

Its like what combo deck should've tbh

this miracoli shit is aint combo

Oh my god I think I played against a shammy bot.

I have Curse of Rafam in my deck, and I used it first turn. And he never discared him. 10 turns later, he's sub 10 health, still has it in his hand.

Man, that's sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom