• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

V8aEOFY.png

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the diablo themed one is cool. I don't even mind losing the free pack if the cardback is rad.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So is the point to reveal as many secrets as possible?

I only revealed two.

Play a deathrattle minion and get it destroyed and play a minion and each player gets a mirror image.

Dahbomb

Played two terrible reno warlocks in a row. One guy dirty ratted me on kurve and then couldn't remove my board which eventually snowballed and killed him.

The second renolock decided not to tap on turn 2, clearly advertising the lack of reno in his hand and giving me the go-ahead to go all-in with face damage.

This forum isn't the place to get a fair look at the strengths and weaknesses of that card. It's an article of faith around here that Patches is the Most Broken Card to Ever Be Released in the History of Hearthstone and dissent from that viewpoint is not tolerated.

Notice that the other card in that farcical deckbuilding guide is Kazakus, yet any suggestion that Kazakus might be overpowered is met with scorn and mockery, the same as anyone who doesn't worship at the altar of Reno Jackson, which is apparently the only well designed card in the whole game and anyone frustrated by playing against nothing but Reno decks is clearly lying because besides the people who post here the entire meta is people playing "unfair" Pirates decks.

It's almost like it's only okay for Control decks to get overpowered cards, but anything that enables aggro is inherently unbalanced. Hmmm.

To your point, Patches is overpowered. You had to spend resources (mana, a card, a trade, something) to remove something that cost your opponent literally nothing to summon. To your other point, it's a fucking Stonetusk Boar so at the end of the day who really gives a shit? Not me. If it wasn't for Small Time Bucaneer, Patches would be a niche card choice in bad warrior and rogue decks.
All opinions on Patches are tolerated as long as they are done in a respectful, educated manner and not in a shots fired way. This post is filled with so much bias and not even talking about the actual question until way later and even then it's not giving the entire picture.

To answer the question:

Patches is wonderful because in over 70% cases you paid no cards, no mana to play a 1/1 with Charge which is a Pirate. Speaking from an objective mathematical point of view that is in fact the most powerful card in the game. It is NOT a Stonetusk Boar, a 0 mana Stonetusk Boar would be insanely poweful and one that does not use up a card from hand would be even moreso. Hearthstone is a snowball type game and every incremental advantage you can get at the start is monumental. Small stats like an extra 1/1 are massive at the start of the game, a 3/4 with initiative played at the beginning of game has way more impact than a 3/4 played on turn 3. The one free damage is very relevant as it can kill a Doomsayer you may not be able to kill on turn 2 otherwise, give you the extra damage to close out the game a turn earlier (again monumental) or ping something off the board in an aggro mirror match. Patches has pushed decks like Hunter and Zoo out because Patches allows domination of the board from turn 1 and decks that need to have the board from turn 1 like Zoo can't keep compete against that. If it takes a hero power ping, card or a minion trading into it and it protects your other Pirate then it has WAY more than covered its "cost" which is already negligible. In many match ups and situations the card ends up doing more than 1 damage and remember that this is all for free. .

Now as for that joke of a flow chart diagram about Kazakus... let's talk about Kazakus again and why Kazakus is FAR below Patches in power level. Starting off Kazakus is a tri class card versus Patches being a neutral card. That means that based on HS's own formula, Kazakus should be stronger than Patches because it is available to less classes. You can't play Kazakus in Control Warrior or Control Paladin but you can play Patches in Shaman and Hunter despite being non Pirate classes. It's one of the reasons why Dr Boom was considered so powerful versus Tirion because it was available to more classes. Next let's look at the deck restrictions. Kazakus has a massive up front cost to making it playable which is that you can't have duplicates in the deck (you can but it's not practical). You are greatly sacrificing deck consistency and certain combos/interactions to even play Kazakus. For Patches you just need a few Pirates preferably 1 drop Pirates... that is objectively a far less stringent cost to play than Kazakus. Now without even evaluating the effects of each cards... Kazakus SHOULD be MUCH stronger than Patches based on class availability and deck restriction, otherwise the game card balance is bad.

But now let's look at the cards and stats plus effect. Patches in most cases gets played for 0 mana, costs no cards and has Charge with Pirate tag. That's probably the most cost efficient card in the game. Let's look at Kazakus now. 4 mana 3/3 body, right off the bat you are playing a bad statted minion and losing tempo. Based on how Kazakus's options work out, 1 mana spells are super efficient for their cost and are in fact insanely good... so at 5 mana Kazakus plus 1 mana card you generally make up the cost of playing Kazakus. At 5 mana you lose out more efficiency but the 5 mana card is still far above the power level and that's the most frequently used option. It's still a 9 mana play, either on one turn or played across two turns (playing across two turns means you had one bad turn and one great turn versus playing it on 9 mana which is generally a good play not necessarily game breaking). 10 mana spell is essentially a 14 mana play and it better be damn good. Value wise it's good but card efficiency wise it's a lot lower unless you get the polymorph board spell especially in Wild or if you roll high on getting 3 Resurrects. 10 mana card is probably either around or maybe slightly below the curve if you also factor in Kazakus' cost and is generally only picked in slower match ups.

None of these options actually mathematically compares to Patches when you break it down. You are still paying mana for all these cards and you slight art off weaker before you get stronger. So if Kazakus is mathematically weaker than Patches but has far heavier deck restrictions ... why is Kazakus being put on the same level as Patches? It's not even about control vs aggro here, it's about math, game impact on cost and on turn played vs deck restriction. Maybe I am doing the math and evaluation wrong here and someone can enlighten me.

Xanathus

Brawl is terrible compared to that brawl where you get a score of how much damage you managed to do to the AI. At least with that one you could compare scores and come up with strategies to optimize your score. Here with the random secrets there is no strategy whatsoever.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you proc all the secrets you can play the cow king.
just beat the cow king and you don't get anything special for doing it.
Unless there are other important win conditions that trigger something.

Miletius

what? no that's wrong.

p(!mage) = 8/9 * 7/8 * 6/7 = 2/3
so the probablity of not getting mage on a single run is ~66%

for independent events p1 and p2 the probability of p1 and p2 together is equal to
the probability of p1 times the probability of p2.

let n = p(!mage)
n && n && n && n && n = n ^ 5 ~= 0.13

so yeah, around 13% chance.

Urgh, math at 3:00 AM. Not only did I get the number of classes wrong I looked at how the probabilities stacked up incorrectly either.

Blizzard

Banned
It took a few tries to beat the cow king, but I was a little disappointed I didn't get anything from even the secret level. I was hoping for a new pack this week but I'll live I guess. :p

Dahbomb

What's the 3Rd secret? I could only proc two.

One is if you have 9 cards in hands it procs. Another is if you play a Deathrattle. I was told another procs like Mirror Entity but that never happened to me.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I've seen literally no one, AI or human, use Ice Barrier in a mage deck. Should I take this to mean it's a really bad card?

I also use Mirror Entity, but that seems regarded as a much better card.

JesseZao

I think I've seen literally no one, AI or human, use Ice Barrier in a mage deck. Should I take this to mean it's a really bad card?

Ice barrier is used in freeze mage or grinder mage decks that just stall to fatigue or until they have combo pieces. It's definitely more niche.

The mobile client seems to be having trouble running this new brawl. Getting a lot of stutter. I have a Note 5, so the phone shouldn't be the issue. Their servers may be getting extra load as well I suppose since this is a novel event.

what? no that's wrong.

p(!mage) = 8/9 * 7/8 * 6/7 = 2/3
so the probablity of not getting mage on a single run is ~66%

for independent events p1 and p2 the probability of p1 and p2 together is equal to
the probability of p1 times the probability of p2.

let n = p(!mage)
n && n && n && n && n = n ^ 5 ~= 0.13

so yeah, around 13% chance.

Can't wait to play the Diablo brawl. Bloody EU waiting time....

Ice barrier is used in freeze mage or grinder mage decks that just stall to fatigue or until they have combo pieces. It's definitely more niche.

The mobile client seems to be having trouble running this new brawl. Getting a lot of stutter. I have a Note 5, so the phone shouldn't be the issue. Their servers may be getting extra load as well I suppose since this is a novel event.

People run it in reno mage commonly atm, to help beat aggro decks. I've never felt like I needed it though in my reno decks.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It took me a few tries, but I was finally able to get to the secret level. I was hoping for a bit more to be honest, but at least the cardback is cool.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've been mulliganning or first-turn drawing into patches at least 50% of the time the past few days. It's insane.

Really liked this Brawl. Lot of things to do... first you kil the Wanderer, after you try to get to the Secret Level and beat it.... and, at last, you try to become the Cow King lol
http://i.imgur.com/dnU3Qv3.jpg

Hope the next adventures have this kind of matches.... also I really would like more hero transformations... like Jaraxxus, Ragnaros, etc...

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any way to launch the top left rocket on the mechanical board? Each of the other corners has some mechical thing that works, but the only thing on the rocket corner seems to be satellite dishes that turn.

*edit* Thanks BrightLightLava!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It's nice that games in this AI Tavern brawl count towards quests. A good way to finish those pesky Paladin/Hunter/other class you don't like quests in a relatively easy enviroment. The AI deck is pretty easy to beat if you are aggro or even something slow like Jade Druid.

It's nice that games in this AI Tavern brawl count towards quests. A good way to finish those pesky Paladin/Hunter/other class you don't like quests in a relatively easy enviroment. The AI deck is pretty easy to beat if you are aggro or even something slow like Jade Druid.

Exactly what I did. Queued up paladin and played 50 paladin cards.

Ladekabel

Beat the wanderer with Dragon Priest. Got the cardback which is all I wanted.

Currently 8-1 with a rogue in areana. My current record is 8 wins with Priest a year ago.

Edit.: Went second in the last three games. Fuck me.

Probably had one of the worst mulligans and starts ever as Pirate Warrior. I mulliganed Heroic Strike and Bloodsail Raider, but I had a decent shot of getting a 1-drop since I was on the coin, right? Nope.

First card I could actually play was Argent Horserider on Turn 3.

Somehow ended up winning on Turn 9 with double Mortal Strike (was under 12 HP).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Reynad's misconception about the Misconception of the Tempostorm Metasnapshot video video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdi1C46VGnw

TL;DW:
Reynad feels bad that people thought his meta snapshot was not good, so he said, they said, something something, etc. He's sorry that he talked shit on VS because they are way better at at stats and shit than Tempostorm is but all perspectives are good, but mine is good and visit my website please and don't visit their site because even though both are free, mine is better because I get money from it. In the end, the community is bad at seeing both sides of an argument especially since mine is better and people are saying mean things about me on the internet. Please like comment subscribe to tempostorm.

I mean whatever. the whole thing is stupid. VS is doing good, science based-research into the game which is great. Meta Snapshot is not useless information (though it might be more prone to human errors), and if nothing else it is a good way to figure out what everyone on the ladder is going to copy. Reynad even admits that it's good that everyone is making content and that more is better (which I know he doesn't believe since his business would make more without competition), etc etc.

VS caught him making dumb inflammatory statements, and smacked his ass down with science. As is their right.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can't wait for VS to respond to Reynad's followup of their response to Reynad's video which leads to Reynad to respond to VS's response to Reynad's followup of their response to Reynad's original video.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TL;DW:
Reynad feels bad that people thought his meta snapshot was not good, so he said, they said, something something, etc. He's sorry that he talked shit on VS because they are way better at at stats and shit than Tempostorm is but all perspectives are good, but mine is good and visit my website please and don't visit their site because even though both are free, mine is better because I get money from it. In the end, the community is bad at seeing both sides of an argument especially since mine is better and people are saying mean things about me on the internet. Please like comment subscribe to tempostorm.

The real TL;DW is actually worse than this.

Reynad isn't actually sorry about talking shit about VS. He thinks it wasn't his intention to personally attack VS even though in the end he did exactly that. Then he said VS's response was mean and flawed and that every fiber of his being wants to tear it down. But he's not going to try and tear it down because he's so above it all and it's not going to change any minds. So that's nice. He continues to spread FUD and insult the VS report without making any actual points and then tries to claim the moral high ground while doing so. Neat.

Blizzard

Banned
Ouch, I didn't know it was possible to build an arena deck and not be offered ANY legendaries.

A run or two ago, I finally got mage...and got a lot of bad cards. Stuff like Nat Pagle as an option. Then I promptly went up against an arena mage who drew the 10-damage mage spell, at least one fireball, and other very helpful stuff. :(

The real TL;DW is actually worse than this.

Reynad isn't actually sorry about talking shit about VS. He thinks it wasn't his intention to personally attack VS even though in the end he did exactly that. Then he said VS's response was mean and flawed and that every fiber of his being wants to tear it down. But he's not going to try and tear it down because he's so above it all and it's not going to change any minds. So that's nice. He continues to spread FUD and insult the VS report without making any actual points and then tries to claim the moral high ground while doing so. Neat.
Post-fact society strikes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom