• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the
cow level
in the brawl.

The three secrets I triggered were
-When opponent plays a battlecry minion, summon a mirror image for both players
-When opponent summons a deathrattle minion, destroy it
-When both players are under 15 health, brawl

Luckily I was just stalling trying to figure out how to trigger that last one. I would've lost if I didn't have a 32/32 C'thun ready lol

Blizzard

Banned
I wish there were some way to see your own card back ingame. You can only really see your opponent's cardbacks. Other games with skins have a way you can taunt to see your own skin. Maybe hovering over the deck could show you the back or something.

Also I wish there were a way to report racist/homophobic etc. player names. Other Blizzard games do, but this bizarrely doesn't?

Acerac

Banned
Is Reynad in charge of Tempostorm? I'd be fine bumping that off my bookmarks if he's gonna keep spreading fud.

Dahbomb

The Blastmage and Drakonid Operative comparison doesn't hold up.

4 mana 5/4 is bad/mediocre stats where as 5 mana 5/6 is like the standard. For a class card you can afford to give a 5 mana 5/6 a decent effect but nothing too powerful.

Also having a Mech on board is much harder than having a Dragon in hand by turn 5.

It's hard to quantify which of these effects is stronger as they do two separate things. Blastmage gives the effect of a slightly better Arcane Missiles where as Drakonid Operative gives you a draw that is superior to a draw... it is arguably the best "draw" card in the game next to Tracking. So in both cases you get something that is better than 1 mana for a condition but Blastmage itself isn't a Mech AND it doesn't have as good of a stat distribution as Drakonid.

They should've just kept the reasoning to "Dragon cards are rotating out and we needed a strong Dragon card for Priest to make the archetype viable post rotation." The Blastmage comparison just makes things worse for them.

Levi

Banned
Don't act like you're surprised. This is not the first time that Blizzard has intentionally printed an OP card in order to push an archetype.

This is the part that blew my mind:

His colleague McCall shares the sentiment, "Operative is a class card that you have to build a deck around, so it has quite generous stats. It could perhaps have done the job of 'push Dragon decks before they rotate' at 6/5 or 6/4, but we were more confident in our estimation of the Dragon deck's power level than we usually are, and we knew that if we were wrong, the problem would fix itself after rotation."

I think we kind of knew that they were using the rotation as a way to solve balance problems, but here is direct confirmation.

This also refutes the theory that they are going to print a Reno replacement because they made Kazakus. This article basically says they are fine printing Dragon Priest cards this rotation even though they aren't planning to support the archetype in the near future.

Seems like they are planning to "solve" Kazakus the same way. If the card is OP, who cares, because the whole archetype is moving to wild in a matter of months anyway.

Dahbomb

Kazakus is still playable after rotation but without Reno Jackson and Bran it has a far less power level.

Unlike say Patches which in Pirate Warrior's case is losing......... Finley and maybe Horserider. That's not enough to stop the archetype from being strong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kazakus is still playable after rotation but without Reno Jackson and Bran it has a far less power level.

Unlike say Patches which in Pirate Warrior's case is losing......... Finley and maybe Horserider. That's not enough to stop the archetype from being strong.

I'm expecting them to print more singleton cards to power that deck, since they seem to really like the archetype.

Acerac

Banned
The problem was and still is that 5 drops tend to be terrible. When one is printed that is strong it seems outrageous in comparison.

5/6 for 5 is a good statline, but it is far from good enough to be playable by itself. It's not like this card has made dragon priest anything better than a midteir deck, I don't understand the concern.

Thanks ZealousD, I'll stop frequenting that site going forward.

Operative is broken enough that it's going to find a way to stay in Priest decks. You can run Azure Drakes and Ysera and they will probably print more dragons in future sets.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Operative is broken enough that it's going to find a way to stay in Priest decks. You can run Azure Drakes and Ysera and they will probably print more dragons in future sets.

That's what I was thinking. Run drakop in a current Reno priest not even running a full dragon package. Maybe just Ysera azure and maybe a twilight Drake.

Levi

Banned

I expect singleton decks to still be a thing after roation even without new cards to support it just because Kazakus is so good.

I'm expecting them to print more singleton cards to power that deck, since they seem to really like the archetype.

I was also expecting that, however reading that interview it seems they are fine printing cards for archetypes they don't intend to support in the future.

I think this is a better representation of that interview.

"Operative is a class card that you have to build a deck around, so it has quite generous stats. It could perhaps have done the job of 'push Dragon decks before they rotate' at 6/5 or 6/4, but we were more confident in our estimation of the Dragon deck's power level than we usually are, and we knew that if we were wrong, the problem would fix itself after rotation."

They were sure the card would be fine but in case it wasn't, then it would be a short lived issue.

I think Drakonid Operative is fine though tbh.

The comparison to that mage card isn't bad either. Both vanilla stats. One generates a card and the other generates and plays about a 1.5 mana arcane missiles. That is a much higher tempo play than generating a card, therefore it's appropriate to have a harder activation requirement. There are things that make drakonid operative a bit stronger, but those are largely other cards like neterspite historian and brann.

Plus priest has been in the low tier for far too long. I was and still am okay with them getting a strong dragon.

They might, but I don't think they will for kazakus decks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The problem was and still is that 5 drops tend to be terrible. When one is printed that is strong it seems outrageous in comparison.

5/6 for 5 is a good statline, but it is far from good enough to be playable by itself. It's not like this card has made dragon priest anything better than a midteir deck, I don't understand the concern.

N/(N+1) for N mana is essentially the yardstick by which all other cards are judged. It's the "perfect" distribution of stats for vanilla minions. Sure, these cards are usually just below the power curve in constructed but they're considered good or even above-curve in arena.

When the text of a card helps you gain card advantage (draw, discover, get a random card), there has always been some sort of stat penalty attached, because playing a minion without losing a net number of cards in hand is a very powerful effect. Drakonid Operative is the first card ever printed in the game that breaks this rule.

Blizzard

Banned
So, speaking of arena not giving me any legendaries at all, I was about to beat someone at 2 HP with the alternate mage skin. Then they pulled Reno. :(

I know it's random, but couldn't they balance where everyone gets one round of 3 legendaries to choose from?

Levi

Banned
So, speaking of arena not giving me any legendaries at all, I was about to beat someone at 2 HP with the alternate mage skin. Then they pulled Reno. :(

I know it's random, but couldn't they balance where everyone gets one round of 3 legendaries to choose from?

There's only a 22% chance to be offered a Legendary in Arena, so that's about 1 in 5 runs.

You don't need a legendary to have a good Arena deck. I've had three legendaries before in an overall mediocre deck and I've had zero legendaries go into double digit wins.

Pirate Warrior was a good deck before Patches. People brought it to tournaments and got high legend with it long before Patches hit the scene.

Levi

Banned
VSS response to Reynad's video, hopefully the end of this particular drama.

0CDFxId.gif

Acerac

Banned
N/(N+1) for N mana is essentially the yardstick by which all other cards are judged. It's the "perfect" distribution of stats for vanilla minions. Sure, these cards are usually just below the power curve in constructed but they're considered good or even above-curve in arena.

When the text of a card helps you gain card advantage (draw, discover, get a random card), there has always been some sort of stat penalty attached, because playing a minion without losing a net number of cards in hand is a very powerful effect. Drakonid Operative is the first card ever printed in the game that breaks this rule.

That's a very fair statement, I just don't see this as a problem. Many classes have cards that break the "rules" of card construction, Drakop is hardly the first card to be a better option than what others have available. The article made a fair argument I felt, pirates are better early, jade is better late, and dragon priests can be very strong mid game.

If priests were dominating ranked ladder I'd understand the concern, but they're not? They're a solid but not spectacular midtier deck right now, and without Drakop they wouldn't even be that. Would it be preferable that they only got "fair" cards and were an unplayable class?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The real TL;DW is actually worse than this.

Reynad isn't actually sorry about talking shit about VS. He thinks it wasn't his intention to personally attack VS even though in the end he did exactly that. Then he said VS's response was mean and flawed and that every fiber of his being wants to tear it down. But he's not going to try and tear it down because he's so above it all and it's not going to change any minds. So that's nice. He continues to spread FUD and insult the VS report without making any actual points and then tries to claim the moral high ground while doing so. Neat.

LOL. I find it hilarious I was pretty close after turning the video off halfway through.

Drakonid Operative was always going to be crazy. I mean the name even tells you. OPerative. =P

That said, I don't mind this. The card's usefulness is going to drop massively when BRM and TGT rotate. Not because all the dragons are leaving (though lots of the best ones are), but without priest having their 1-2-3-4 drops all being dragon/dragon-related that deck is going to REALLY struggle with finding good replacements. It seems like new Dragons aren't coming so this guy is just gonna hang out in Wild and be himself. SECRET AGENT COMING THROUGH!

fertygo

Btw is DrakOP is legit the most intimidating card to drop since dr balanced?

If you see him down, you can tell "god, I'm fucked"

his card art is scary, his sounds scary, SECRET AGENT COMING THROUGH

Blizzard

Banned
DrakOp just has the added problem of feeling bad to lose to.
Reno is the worst feeling to lose to, for me. To be about to beat someone at 2 HP that you've worked very hard for all game, only to lose the entire progress and potentially the game, feels incredibly impactful for one card.

I'm not saying it's overpowered, just that it feels very bad for a single card effect. The League of Explorers jingle makes me reflexively salty now. :(

Acerac

Banned
Btw is DrakOP is legit the most intimidating card to drop since dr balanced?

If you see him down, you can tell "god, I'm fucked"

his card art is scary, his sounds scary, SECRET AGENT COMING THROUGH

I always found the entrance hilarious. Great secret agenting you're doing there Mr. Operative, you'll never blow your cover that way.

As far as feeling bad to lose to, people have hated losing to priest since the beta, nothing new there. Granted, people also hate losing to pirates. And Reno. And Jade. And every other viable deck the game has ever seen. Also some nonviable decks.

Dahbomb

People hate losing in general but there's a special tier of hate where you lose to cards that are either not in your opponent's deck or they steal from your deck/class.

My most hated "bad" card in Hearthstone is Sacrificial Pact. The card exists only to mess you over when the opponent plays a steal card. Thank god at least Nefarian is rotating out.

Seiryoden

Just so you know, about the reward for beating the cow king:

There is no reward. You don't even have to GET to the cow king to unlock the card back.

I already got the card back :)
My brother (who is responsible for introducing me) told me that Tavern Brawl was the best way to get gold o_O

People hate losing in general but there's a special tier of hate where you lose to cards that are either not in your opponent's deck or they steal from your deck/class.

My most hated "bad" card in Hearthstone is Sacrificial Pact. The card exists only to mess you over when the opponent plays a steal card. Thank god at least Nefarian is rotating out.

Lost to a Rogue whose Swashburglar gave him Tirion. I guess that's what I get for playing Paladin.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Which feels worse: getting beaten by a Rogue using a random card from your class, or getting beaten by a Priest using a card you chose to put in your deck?

patchday

Pirate Warrior was a good deck before Patches. People brought it to tournaments and got high legend with it long before Patches hit the scene.

Yeah even before MSoG my Pirate Warrior had an excellent win rate. I initially only used it to fulfill those "Play 10 Pirates" or whatever quests. Then one day I noticed I pretty much never loss with the deck. The only Warrior decks I ever had success was Pirates and CThun

Which feels worse: getting beaten by a Rogue using a random card from your class, or getting beaten by a Priest using a card you chose to put in your deck?

Priest cause they peeked through my deck and grabbed my card that I cant even get to. It's crazy. At least give us a card that let us scry our own decks to make it fair lmao

Acerac

Banned
Depends, if a rogue gets a pyroblast that feels pretty dirty, but I've seen some awesome plays by rogues using cards in a way that their base class couldn't have replicated.

Priest cause they peeked through my deck and grabbed my card that I cant even get to. It's crazy. At least give us a card that let us scry our own decks to make it fair lmao

Tracking is a card.

Levi

Banned

Losing to Priest always feels super bad. I hate losing, but I especially hate losing to Priests.

The only thing worse in the entire history of this game was losing to Yogg. I once lost a game where I had almost 60HP and the game was about to hit fatigue and their Yogg drew them zero cards, hit my face with tons of burn spells, filled their hand with cards and summoned a full board of minions. I went from a guaranteed win to dying the next turn. Yogg is by far the most toxic card in the history of this game (in my very humble opinion) and looking at MSG they really learned their lesson there.

patchday

Lol I had such good times with Yogg it was the most synergistic card for Mage. But I guess we now have Arcane Giants but unfortunately those stupid things can be entombed/mind controlled/removed. Yogg was nice cause it was a Battlecry (about the only thing you can rely on in this game)

Acerac

Banned
Tracking is a deck thinner. It isn't a proper Scry.

edit->

Scry comes from MtG. I only know of it from Eternal (MtG clone)

It's pretty damned close to 1 mana scry 3 draw a card. I grant you, the mechanics aren't identical, but I get the feeling that putting cards in a specific order in your deck would be problematic on Blizzard's end.

Perhaps the scried cards could be put in a separate pool completely separate from your deck. That way you could guarantee your next draw or two while saving Blizz from needing to reprogram much. Granted, you'd then have to watch out for interactions with cards like Weasel Tunneler...

Hmm...

All I'm getting out of this is that Scry should exist solely so Weasel Tunneler can exist as a counter for the mechanic.

Dahbomb

They said initially that they like to mix up expansions by putting out one with lots of RNG and one with less RNG (like MSG). I really hope they keep with the RNG level in MSG because that's about the level of RNG that is acceptable in a card game. Notice that in this thread and in others we have far less complaints about "lul lost to X card because of RNG non sense" than before.

I think Blizzard is slowly realizing with cards like Tuskar Totemic that RNG isn't always good and creates more feel bad situations than feel good situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom