• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So instead of killing my Fandral, opponent decides to Dirty Rat+MCT.

Dirty Rat brings down the 3/6 taunt and MCT takes a small Jade Golem, opp can't kill anything and passes turn.

Next turn I Nourish and Double Jade Idol with Fandral up. opp concedes lol

fertygo

Face secret hunter is what the face deck in Hearthstone should've tbh

not these OP stat dump in just 2 turn like we currently had

Blizzard

Banned
I hop on ranked and see a rank 21 player with 2+ legendaries and a bunch of unusual cards. He saved himself from dying at like 4 HP with Reno, too.

I just wonder how these people are only rank 21 and getting matched up against complete new players like me. :(

Jadax

I hop on ranked and see a rank 21 player with 2+ legendaries and a bunch of unusual cards. He saved himself from dying at like 4 HP with Reno, too.

I just wonder how these people are only rank 21 and getting matched up against complete new players like me. :(

Welcome to hearthstone. People will say it's not a p2w game. They are wrong.

Also, you'll have to get used to it.

If Blizz starts rotating the best standard cards into Wild I'm done with Hearthstone. It took me a lot of time, effort and money to craft those cards. I won't support Blizzard's greed.

Miletius

If Blizz starts rotating the best standard cards into Wild I'm done with Hearthstone. It took me a lot of time, effort and money to craft those cards. I won't support Blizzard's greed.

They won't -- and if they do it won't be for a few more years. My guess is they will look to start adding "best of" of older sets into standard later this year or early next year. This will allow them to preserve archetypes that they want to push in standard and it feels better than moving cards out -- plus, there really aren't any more blatantly broken cards in standard (well, there are a few really really good ones but nothing game breaking).

They won't -- and if they do it won't be for a few more years. My guess is they will look to start adding "best of" of older sets into standard later this year or early next year. This will allow them to preserve archetypes that they want to push in standard and it feels better than moving cards out -- plus, there really aren't any more blatantly broken cards in standard (well, there are a few really really good ones but nothing game breaking).

That I would get behind. I missed GvG and Naxx and would love to play some of those cards that aren't completely broken like Dr. Doom. I would also love a viable mech deck.

Even if they give you full dust value for them?

I would be OK with that. Not terribly happy, but it would be fairer.

fertygo

I have to craft like 2 legendaries from msog but I really want to play with the control Shaman deck, so I need 2 elemental destructions and 1 healing wave.

that actually my plan too, I'd say go for it.. I think Shaman will get ele d replacement

big chance your 2 legendary investment will safe imo

Even if not, you don't miss chance to play decent control shaman before rotating out I say that worth the investment than regretting it later,

that actually my plan too, I'd say go for it.. I think Shaman will get ele d replacement

big chance your 2 legendary investment will safe imo

Even if not, you don't miss chance to play decent control shaman before rotating out I say that worth the investment than regretting it later,

Yeah, I think I'll do it. At least I can play with it for a couple of months.

Hallazeal is a beast don't feel bad crafting him.

I already have it. I got him and White Eyes in packs. It must be a signal.

Lyng

Just another example of why the ranking system is so bad.

sibarraz

Banned
So, I visited reddit after a long time and I saw LOTS of threads complaining about standard cards rotating out. Why is people saying that? BBrode did an announcement?

cHinzo

Pretty sure that guy only got rank 15 last season in ranked and then only played casual, since u start a new season at rank 21 if u managed to get rank 15 last season. U just happen to get matched up with him when he was doing his first ranked game of the season. :d It sucks for new players though. Rank 25-20 should like new players vs new players only imo. Prolly not enough people playing at those ranks since u can't lose stars or Blizzard's matchmaking is just broken.

So, I visited reddit after a long time and I saw LOTS of threads complaining about standard cards rotating out. Why is people saying that? BBrode did an announcement?

Nothing definitive. But they might nerf or rotate some classic cards when the upcoming rotation occurs. It's probably being completely overreacted to.

Tacitus_

The goal with Standard is to keep the meta fresh for each yearly rotation. There are some benefits to keeping Basic and Classic cards in Standard: Returning players have an entry-point to the new format, and new players experience classics like "Hogger" and "Arcane Missiles" that are iconic and great introductions to the game. People take breaks from Hearthstone, and being able to jump right back in with a few cards you already own and understand makes that experience a lot better.

That upside has a real downside in working directly against the big goal for Standard. It needs to feel different each year, and if Basic and Classic cards are still appearing in large densities year after year, we will not be achieving our goals for Standard.

We knew we weren't going to get there when the Year of the Kraken began, so we nerfed 12 basic/classic cards, to put more of the weight of the meta into the rotating sets. We always knew we'd have to watch the meta to see if any future changes would be needed when we got ready for the next year of Standard. If things are looking like they are going to be too same-y for that next year, we could see more nerfs, or we might rotate some additional classic cards to Wild, like we did with Old Murk Eye. No matter what, we're committed to making Standard fresh and exciting each new year.

There are a couple options here:

Leave cards the same and let the Standard Meta be staler than some people would like.

Nerf cards and leave them in Standard.

Rotate cards to Wild, which should have less change and a higher power level.

Recently we've been getting feedback about the first point being a non-starter. What do you guys think? Assuming the other two options granted full-dust refunds for the affected cards, which do people prefer?

I should add this is a general question about all Classic cards and not specifically about Legendaries. We're not sure which cards would be the right ones to target, if any, just yet.

TLDR: if things stay the same too much, they might make changes to the evergreen set => world is ending

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man, some of the comments on hearthpwn and reddit... its like theyre all 14 years old kids.
OMGZ THEY BROKE THE PROMISE!!!!1!! SO GREEDY!!!!1!!!!!

They dont understand how complex these kind of games are, just as the player base the dev team learns about the game through it's lifetime.
Theyre gonna do the best to keep it fun, which is the best business decision they can make.

sibarraz

Banned
TLDR: if things stay the same too much, they might make changes to the evergreen set => world is ending

I thought that it was a given after the introduction of standard that each year will have balance changes, I see no problem with that.

Rotating cards to wild is another story though

Ripenen

So tired of Reno decks. They are so predictable and the rope-a-dope play slows the game. It's so predictable--let's both just hold our cards until you get Reno out. Bleh.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So tired of Reno decks. They are so predictable and the rope-a-dope play slows the game. It's so predictable--let's both just hold our cards until you get Reno out. Bleh.

22397.png

Meta breaker

I thought that it was a given after the introduction of standard that each year will have balance changes, I see no problem with that.

Rotating cards to wild is another story though

Rotating is better. Nerfs are likely to have the same impact, except it'll destroy archetypes forever. Perfect example is blade flurry nerf. I'd rather have that card been rotated than nerfed so you could play oil rogue in wild, which is something I had been looking forward to until the nerf. Instead, while we still have blade flurry in standard it is still useless and it is also useless in wild so they might as well have deleted it from the game.

I'm sure some people want to see nerfs just so they can dust the cards, but that is a pretty poor and selfish motivation.

Fersis

Rotating is better. Nerfs are likely to have the same impact, except it'll destroy archetypes forever. Perfect example is blade flurry nerf. I'd rather have that card been rotated than nerfed so you could play oil rogue in wild, which is something I had been looking forward to until the nerf. Instead, while we still have blade flurry in standard it is still useless and it is also useless in wild so they might as well have deleted it from the game.

I'm sure some people want to see nerfs just so they can dust the cards, but that is a pretty poor and selfish motivation.
While i personally like more this approach than nerfing (#RIP Blade Furry) cards, it does raise an issue about card pool size.
ie: You rotate out 2 druid cards and 4 rogue cards, now Druid has a bigger card pool on Standard than Rogue.
So wut you do? You add 2 new Rogue class cards? Or just let Rogue RIP in pieces?

It's an interesting problem to solve: Keep an evergreen meta but without killing deck archetypes.
EDIT: Regardless whatever Blizz does, theyre gonna get flamed hard.

While i personally like more this approach than nerfing (#RIP Blade Furry) cards, it does raise an issue about card pool size.
ie: You rotate out 2 druid cards and 4 rogue cards, now Druid has a bigger card pool on Standard than Rogue.
So wut you do? You add 2 new Rogue class cards? Or just let Rogue RIP in pieces?

It's an interesting problem to solve: Keep an evergreen meta but without killing deck archetypes.
EDIT: Regardless whatever Blizz does, theyre gonna get flamed hard.

I don't think card pool size for classic is that important. The cards are already used vastly disproportionately. I think the classes likely to get hit by rotations are those that use more classic cards than others anyway.

Fersis

I don't think card pool size for classic is that important. The cards are already used vastly disproportionately. I think the classes likely to get hit by rotations are those that use more classic cards than others anyway.
It also affects the discover, "get a random card", etc effects on those classes.
Also it's kind of whack to think that a class has more cards than others.

The only thing i want is: Another viable Rogue that's not a Miracle variant. That's all.
Nerfing Gadgetzan Auctioneer would kill Miracle (and Rogue) but it could open the class to new decks. (Given new tools)

I don't care if they rotate classic cards but they better refund dust value for them if they do. When I started playing this seriously a few months back I was told by every guide and helpful person to invest in classic first because they will always be an available staple.

I get why they would do it, but I've built my collection with the assumption that classics will be around as long as I'm playing.

sibarraz

Banned
Considering that for most people wild doesn't exist, rotating a card is worse that a nerf.

With the nerf at least you can recover the dust and the investment, rotating the card is a complete kiss of death.

At least I hope that they do nerfs like the ones made before gadgetzan, and not like the ones when standard started

Considering that for most people wild doesn't exist, rotating a card is worse that a nerf.

With the nerf at least you can recover the dust and the investment, rotating the card is a complete kiss of death.

At least I hope that they do nerfs like the ones made before gadgetzan, and not like the ones when standard started

you should really read what b brode posted. and consider playing a mode that offers more than double the creativity of standard

yeah i love it when people play dirty rat without a way to deal with minions. played a murloc warleader on curve a few games ago on an empty board i just had a token on just to keep some tempo, dude plays dirty rat on turn 4 and pulls out my second warleader....game over.

sibarraz

Banned
you should really read what b brode posted. and consider playing a mode that offers more than double the creativity of standard

What creativity? n'zoth decks that are not that fun to play against it, secret paladin, and unoptimized decks that are easy to defeat, and I'm talking about the lower ranks which I never try to pass

What creativity? n'zoth decks that are not that fun to play against it, secret paladin, and unoptimized decks that are easy to defeat, and I'm talking about the lower ranks which I never try to pass

i've faced like 2 secret paladins in my last 50 wild games at most. if you're a decent deck builder you can literally create any archetype in hearthstone that you want and if you tech it right you have a rank 5 deck. there's no need to netdeck at all if you can make decent synergies yourself. in standard there are 5 decks you can play.

i've faced like 2 secret paladins in my last 50 wild games at most. if you're a decent deck builder you can literally create any archetype in hearthstone that you want and if you tech it right you have a rank 5 deck. there's no need to netdeck at all if you can make decent synergies yourself. in standard there are 5 decks you can play.

People might have misconceptions about wild, but you're wrong about 5 decks being playable in standard.

Hycran

Banned
Azure drake is done if they are modifying classic set. Blood Mage Thalnos might also get turfed. Wouldn't be surprised if Rag or sylvanys felt the pinch either.

People might have misconceptions about wild, but you're wrong about 5 decks being playable in standard.

still you can't say there's room for experimentation in standard at all compared to wild. almost every deck in standard lines up with a tempostorm deck, and if it strays more than 2 or 3 tech choices from any of them, it's garbage that won't let you rank up significantly. in wild you can literally do anything you want if u are a smart deck builder. i've been wrecked by hobgoblin/steward of darkshire decks. cards like captain greenskin actually get used. you can take any deck type of the past that you miss and update it with new cards and it's good.

Tomcat

Rank 6 on wild and most of the matches are against pirate warrior. Some aggro shaman too and maybe if you get lucky you Will encounter a Reno deck. No nzoth decks no secret paladin no hunters. No rogue too cause of pirate warrior. It's like standard but worse because of power creep.

Azure drake is done if they are modifying classic set. Blood Mage Thalnos might also get turfed. Wouldn't be surprised if Rag or sylvanys felt the pinch either.
A nerf to Sylvannas' stats likely wouldn't matter.

Rank 6 on wild and most of the matches are against pirate warrior. Some aggro shaman too and maybe if you get lucky you Will encounter a Reno deck. No nzoth decks no secret paladin no hunters. It's like standard but worse because of power creep.
Pirate decks ruin everything. :(

Rank 6 on wild and most of the matches are against pirate warrior. Some aggro shaman too and maybe if you get lucky you Will encounter a Reno deck. No nzoth decks no secret paladin no hunters. It's like standard but worse because of power creep.

good thing you have so many more cards to tech against it if ur smart

and reno mage/warlock are all over wild i'm suprised anyone would say that

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times already, but thought I'd ask. I'm trying to determine when I should switch packs I'm buying.

Right now I have (according to my collection stats on Hearthpwn):

Classic - 574/723 cards, including 331/336 common, 101/162 rare, 19/74 epic, and 5/33 Legendary

I recently switched to start buying GAD packs, since I was getting so many duplicates it just didn't seem worth it. So now I have:

GAD - 92/244 cards, 65/98 common, 23/72 rare, 4/54 epic, 0/20 legendary

I also have all of the Karazhan and LoE cards.

Should I still buy Classic cards since I'm missing a fair amount of rare and above? Or just craft what I want/need from there? Should I continue to buy GAD cards? Rotate between GAD and WOG?

I'm not trying to create any particular deck right now, just trying to have as much flexibility as possible (and I'm kind of a collector in denial so some part of me just wants new cards).

How do you decide which packs to buy?

still you can't say there's room for experimentation in standard at all compared to wild. almost every deck in standard lines up with a tempostorm deck, and if it strays more than 2 or 3 tech choices from any of them, it's garbage that won't let you rank up significantly. in wild you can literally do anything you want if u are a smart deck builder. i've been wrecked by hobgoblin/steward of darkshire decks. cards like captain greenskin actually get used. you can take any deck type of the past that you miss and update it with new cards and it's good.

You can do whatever you want at lower ranks. At higher ranks, just like in standard, you play against a lot stronger decks.

You can argue there is more card pool available, but if you're trying to build a competitive deck the power curve is much higher in wild and it will always be that way due to cards like shredder and dr. boom. It almost doesn't matter if there are more cards when you're often required to run high power cards out of necessity of the power of those cards.

Grief.exe

Sometimes the Dirty Rat plays you.

Thought I was going to be sneaky and Dirty Rat a C'thun Druid, his entire hand was the combo yet I pull a Disciple of C'thun. He drops Bran/Aviana/Kun/Swipe/C'thun next turn and barely kills me.

Mage played a turn 2 Dirty Rat which brought out Rag. Won by turn 5. 😂😂😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom