• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

Lol I crafted Deathwing right before I saw the Classic rotation articles pop up thinking "I can use him in Dragon Warrior now, but at least it's a Classic card." Maybe I should have held off on that.

Miletius

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times already, but thought I'd ask. I'm trying to determine when I should switch packs I'm buying.

Right now I have (according to my collection stats on Hearthpwn):

Classic - 574/723 cards, including 331/336 common, 101/162 rare, 19/74 epic, and 5/33 Legendary

I recently switched to start buying GAD packs, since I was getting so many duplicates it just didn't seem worth it. So now I have:

GAD - 92/244 cards, 65/98 common, 23/72 rare, 4/54 epic, 0/20 legendary

I also have all of the Karazhan and LoE cards.

Should I still buy Classic cards since I'm missing a fair amount of rare and above? Or just craft what I want/need from there? Should I continue to buy GAD cards? Rotate between GAD and WOG?

I'm not trying to create any particular deck right now, just trying to have as much flexibility as possible (and I'm kind of a collector in denial so some part of me just wants new cards).

How do you decide which packs to buy?

It depends on how you feel about them. Are you missing any absolutely essential rares from Classic? Stuff like Azure Drake? If so, I'd continue to buy classic packs. If not, then I'd continue to buy from the set that has the least percentage chance of pulling duplicates, so in your case GAD.

Edit: Just want to make clear that this is just my methodology, and it's thoughtful but I didn't mathematically prove it to be sound or anything. It's just my approach, having a similar viewpoint of trying to be a good all-arounder.

wiibomb

kinda shitty from the HS team to now make an statement of changing the core set, when initially the told those card would be constant in all the rotations

may be it is just a thought on what they have been thinking and not the final decision

DSmalls84

kinda shitty from the HS team to now make an statement of changing the core set, when initially the told those card would be constant in all the rotations

may be it is just a thought on what they have been thinking and not the final decision

Hopefully not. I have crafted a ton of cards like Cairne, Malygos, and Ysera that are fairly niche and only occasionally used just because I expected them to stay in play.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How do you use Dirty Rat in Reno Mage? I have never been able to get any value out of it.

Against pirate warrior just play it early and hope the minion it pulls is small or able to be dealt with. Against control or shaman play it when you have a way to deal with the worst case scenario.

How do you use Dirty Rat in Reno Mage? I have never been able to get any value out of it.

You trigger it when you think your opponent has something good in his hand.

If the board is clear, dirty rat --> doomsayer.

If the board is full, add frost nova after doomsayer. Also, it's good having a fireball in your hand as a hedge if your opponent kills the doomsayer.

Grief.exe

Do Reno Mages run MCT?

MCT/Fireball/Doomsayer/Polymorph/Flamestrike

Frequently I will play it when I have board control and some removal. That was I can ensure whatever drops, dies.

wiibomb

yesterday I was against a player which played dirty rat on turn 2, instantly concedes after the Dirty Rat pulls my Ragnaros..

now I made a better play today with a good board and pulled my Dirty Rat on turn 8, pulled the opponents rogue Reno and then I killed it, then the rogue concedes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Azure drake is done if they are modifying classic set. Blood Mage Thalnos might also get turfed. Wouldn't be surprised if Rag or sylvanys felt the pinch either.

I really don't think Rag or Sylvanas would get changed or moved at this point. I could easily see Alexstrasza move over to Wild only though, the card makes uninteractive 2 turn kills a thing Blizard has to constantly worry about when printing new cards.

DSmalls84

I really don't think Rag or Sylvanas would get changed or moved at this point. I could easily see Alexstrasza move over to Wild only though, the card makes uninteractive 2 turn kills a thing Blizard has to constantly worry about when printing new cards.

Has Alex really been played much besides in Freeze/Reno Mage? That's not a card I started seeing on a regular basis until recently. Granted I have only played since WOTOG released.

I just keep running into Reno decks on ladder. I should just concede if I'm not using an aggro deck.

Although, I did manage to barely beat a Reno Dragon Priest because Ivory Knight gave me a third Anyfin.

Tomcat

good thing you have so many more cards to tech against it if ur smart

and reno mage/warlock are all over wild i'm suprised anyone would say that

what can you tech when u gonna lose on turn 5 lol

they already tech ships cannon for more power too lol

turn two with coin

ship cannon nzoth mate with patches coming. That's 6 damage incoming

turn 4 death spike so no need to play arcanite too

good luck with your tech cards :)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah anyone who thinks Pirate Warrior or Pirates in general are bad, needs to come to Wild and see how it really goes. Ship's Cannon is NUTS with Patches & co. Lots of fun to play though, IMO. Its a strong Aggro deck that isn't going face 100% of the time (though if your Ship's Cannon shots are on point that is what you'll be doing), but will want to mostly. Remove important minions in the first turn or two and build up your board. Then dump your pirates with the cannon and watch the flames. Good times.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised Dirty Rat exists since the development team had been ideologically opposed to "messing" with your opponents' hand.

I think it's a postive thing for the game. It's one of the most skillful cards in the game at the moment. It has interesting decisions for when to use it, when to keep it in mulligans and what to do after you play it. It's definitely one of my favorite cards in the game atm. If only it was worth running outside of Reno decks. I just can't ever justify it in stuff like Dragon Priest (already crushing Renos most of the time, thanks DrakOP), or faster decks since you can't afford to give your opponent anything even if it's small or important.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm surprised Dirty Rat exists since the development team had been ideologically opposed to "messing" with your opponents' hand.

They've sort of been toying with the idea before, like Curse of Rafaam or Ancestor's Call.

Also, this may sort of be a weird idea, but I think the flavor of the card being called "Dirty Rat" kinda helps as well. It's sort of like the game is giving a wink and a nod to how mean it can be and so you can direct your anger at the card's avatar (you dirty rat!) rather than your opponent.

Pooya

I'm playing pre gadgetzan maly druid without a single new card, I'm pretty sure it's better than Kun/Aviana meme deck. Almost rank 5, very painless climbing. Turns out arcane giants and raven idols are still pretty good. I'm playing 2x druid of the claws, 2x war. I don't have much problem against aggro, it's very manageable. Rogue is hard. Reno or priest any kind, free win.

I think tempo mage is also really good, it was always extremely good against renolock and arcane missiles should be against pirates. Another deck people just stopped playing because lol new cards. Meta changes are dumb, it's not all that much about power level rather than what's the flavor of the month.

Dahbomb

I'm playing pre gadgetzan maly druid without a single new card, I'm pretty sure it's better than Kun/Aviana meme deck. Almost rank 5, very painless climbing. Turns out arcane giants and raven idols are still pretty good. I'm playing 2x druid of the claws, 2x war. I don't have much problem against aggro, it's very manageable. Rogue is hard. Reno or priest any kind, free win.

I think tempo mage is also really good, it was always extremely good against renolock and arcane missiles should be against pirates. Another deck people just stopped playing because lol new cards. Meta changes are dumb, it's not all that much about power level rather than what's the flavor of the month.
This phase in the game is really weird because we don't have a lot of big tournaments coming up and people are already looking towards the 2017 rotation. There has been very little experimentation in general, people kinda just chose sides with Pirates and Reno with the occasional Jade.

I also believe those decks are very strong, been saying that since Renolock became popular but I also think you are over selling their efficiency against Patches deck a bit. Patches decks still are favored against Combo Druid and Tempo Mage no matter the tech.

Pooya

This phase in the game is really weird because we don't have a lot of big tournaments coming up and people are already looking towards the 2017 rotation. There has been very little experimentation in general, people kinda just chose sides with Pirates and Reno with the occasional Jade.

I also believe those decks are very strong, been saying that since Renolock became popular but I also think you are over selling their efficiency against Patches deck a bit. Patches decks still are favored against Combo Druid and Tempo Mage no matter the tech.

tempo mage is great against rogue, you just burn them down. why people don't play it lol. It has so many good match ups right now.

Dahbomb

tempo mage is great against rogue, you just burn them down. why people don't play it lol. It has so many good match ups right now.
Because you still lose to Aggro Shaman and Aggro Warrior. And the more you tech against Patches deck the more you give up your edge against Reno decks (and vice versa).

Still a good deck overall to ladder with.

Miletius

Bottom tier and knuckles is bad/mediocre. Super low impact.

Problem with Knuckles is that he is too slow for the current meta. He was pretty useful when I Burgled and reduced him and a tundra rhino though. Used that + Bestial wrath to destroy a highmane and did 6 in the process.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Problem with Knuckles is that he is too slow for the current meta. He was pretty useful when I Burgled and reduced him and a tundra rhino though. Used that + Bestial wrath to destroy a highmane and did 6 in the process.
But he is designed as an aggressive card. Like an aggro version of the 2/7 warrior armor card.

Problem is he is so so slow and will often not have any impact beyond a vanilla 3/7 minion.

He isn't costed very well either.

It should have been any damage he deals goes to face. Not only when he attacks.

ZealousD

But he is designed as an aggressive card.

Not really. He's designed to stick to the board for several turns and kill small things. He splits the difference between aggression and board control. That makes him more like a midrange card. So he's too slow to deal with decks running PPP but he's not aggressive enough against Reno decks because Reno decks usually aren't plopping down wienies to get traded against in the mid-game. So he's a very poor fit in the current meta.

Pooya

A card with Knuckles text would need to have charge, otherwise it is just a badly distributed pile of stats. They have a card like that in shadowverse, it's very good in midrange decks. It cost 8 though, can't hit face on the turn he's played and has the poison effect, it kills everything it hits.

ZealousD

A card with Knuckles text would need to have charge, otherwise it is just a badly distributed pile of stats. They have a card like that in shadowverse, it's very good in midrange decks. It cost 8 though, can't hit face on the turn he's played and has the poison effect, it kills everything it hits.

That sounds like Maexxna with Charge?

Grief.exe

I think it's a postive thing for the game. It's one of the most skillful cards in the game at the moment. It has interesting decisions for when to use it, when to keep it in mulligans and what to do after you play it. It's definitely one of my favorite cards in the game atm. If only it was worth running outside of Reno decks. I just can't ever justify it in stuff like Dragon Priest (already crushing Renos most of the time, thanks DrakOP), or faster decks since you can't afford to give your opponent anything even if it's small or important.

They've sort of been toying with the idea before, like Curse of Rafaam or Ancestor's Call.

Also, this may sort of be a weird idea, but I think the flavor of the card being called "Dirty Rat" kinda helps as well. It's sort of like the game is giving a wink and a nod to how mean it can be and so you can direct your anger at the card's avatar (you dirty rat!) rather than your opponent.

I love Dirty Rat, I'm just surprised at its existence.

Dirty Rat plays are my favorite part of the game right now.

This game has issues but pulling a golden legendary makes it worth it. Pulled a golden Rag yesterday (already bragged about it) and I'm still pretty pumped about it, first pack I ever opened was a golden Leeroy.

What are the odds on a golden legend in general?

gutshot

This game has issues but pulling a golden legendary makes it worth it. Pulled a golden Rag yesterday (already bragged about it) and I'm still pretty pumped about it, first pack I ever opened was a golden Leeroy.

What are the odds on a golden legend in general?

Very low. I think it's around 0.1%?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Something like Reno would be awful to have in core. I wouldn't mind seeing something like Echo of Medivh make a comeback though.

What are some low cost easy to play decks that can get me to rank 5?

Lowest cost is probably Zoolock: requires no legendaries (Leeroy is debatable).

Easy to play? No such thing. You need to think about your hand, your opponents' hand, the board, HP, mana, remaining cards in your deck, etc.

I think, though, if you can get a win rate over 50% with a deck, it is possible to grind your way to a high rank by sheer volume, because you're rewarded for winning streaks and not punished for losing streaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom