• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a short stop at rank 8 in wild with some unfortunate matches against PW I've cruised through wild to rank 5 with this Secret Patches list
DONVWwe.png
Bloodsail Corsair did some serious work, my favourite being taking down a 14/2 Frothing by destroying a 1 charge Death's Bite my opponent had.

On the phone so can't check records but with as quick as it went it couldn't have been more than a handful of games I lost.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Post rotation, I wonder if kazakus makes it into control decks regardless of the existence of doubles. Or if more doubles will be played. It's a good card in aggro matchups but it is insane in control matchups.

joelseph

Is there a consistent answer to dragon priest that is favorable in this meta and not shaman? Ladder in the teens has flopped to majority of dragon priests for the past couple days.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is there a consistent answer to dragon priest that is favorable in this meta and not shaman? Ladder in the teens has flopped to majority of dragon priests for the past couple days.

I always check vicious syndicate for stuff like that.

Looks like miracle rogue, renolock, dragon warrior and pirate warrior are good against them.

joelseph

Miracle feels closer to 50/50 against dragon priest IMO. If they get a good start you need eviscerate to keep the board clear. Sap feels dead due to all the battlecry. Knives can't really pick off anything even with a boost. The way to really get ahead is hope they draw bad or stick some 4 attack minions and hope no taunts get in the way. Even a big cleef is no guarantee in this meta against any deck really.

wiibomb

:0
Good stuff from the HS team.

wow.. this is good.. could this be a result of the backfire of Ben Brode's comments on the classic and basic sets? or may be it is just them being more open now.

may be not so of a coincidence now that Ben was just recently promoted to director

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just played the worst game I've ever seen with my nzoth priest.

It was against a fatigue priest who ran literally nothing but removal. And kicked my ass of course.

I didn't have enough threats to overcome his removal and could put zero pressure on him.

He used pint sized options and shadow word horror, he used shadow madness into brewmasters (he ran two of both brewmasters), entomb, pains, deaths, light bombs, dragonfire potions, holy Nova, excavated evils, shrinkmeister.

Literally zero threats that he didn't steal from me. I suck for losing to that.

Dealing 60 damage isn't fun for me, just annoying. One of the reasons I like Hearthstone is that I can potentially finish a match in 10-15 minutes.

The vast majority of my matches, even against reno, don't last 10-15 minutes.

To put things in perspective, my all time average (ever since I've been stat tracking which is like 2 years now) is 8.4 minutes per game. I'm probably on the upper end of the time spectrum too.

Last season I had 8.2 minutes per game.

Last season vs priest - 11.2 minutes
vs mage - 9.4
vs lock - 10.5

bjaelke

wow.. this is good.. could this be a result of the backfire of Ben Brode's comments on the classic and basic sets? or may be it is just them being more open now.

may be not so of a coincidence now that Ben was just recently promoted to director

They did a Designer Insight this time last year about communication and lack thereof. No reason to expect greatness this time around.

Dahbomb

Yeah I don't expect much from this Q&A. They can't answer any hard ball questions and all of their answers are going to be a pile of "we are not ready to discuss that yet."

Only question I have to ask them is "where are those sweeping Arena changes that were promised?" It's been months now.

Yeah I don't expect much from this Q&A. They can't answer any hard ball questions and all of their answers are going to be a pile of "we are not ready to discuss that yet."

Only question I have to ask them is "where are those sweeping Arena changes that were promised?" It's been months now.

Exactly, it's just going to be the typical vague non-answers.

Grief.exe

My understanding is that everything prior to WOTOG will rotate when the next adventure hits.

Every expansion/adventure from 2015 will rotate out as soon as the first expansion hits in 2017.

Oh I see, it also explains it in the FAQ

How often will Standard format change?
Standard format will be updated with the first new Expansion released each year. When that happens Standard format will be updated to include card sets from the current and previous calendar year. The Basic and Classic card sets are always part of the Standard format.

Reno is fun to beat. They drop reno, rope out a bit because they're waiting for you to concede. Meanwhile, you're not out of the game. In fact, you've thought ahead. You knew they were going to heal for full. Your deck can do some crazy stuff with the time you've bought and dealing 60 damage over the course of a game is not only possible, but planned for from a very early stage of the game. Then you unleash hell all over them.

60 damage? How about 90 when you drop an Ancient Brewmaster right after dropping Reno. That's always fun. I honestly think Reno should be 7 mana instead of 6 for this very reason. Its one of the craziest 10-mana turn combos in the game. Of course, you are still at risk of running out of cards and can definitely still lose.

I feel like Barnes sees so little play these days.

I play him...

When I draw him from my Malchezaar deck. He always disappoints me :(

gutshot

I'm sure they will tell us about how they have a lot of cool ideas that they are discussing internally but they aren't ready to reveal anything just yet.

60 damage? How about 90 when you drop an Ancient Brewmaster right after dropping Reno. That's always fun. I honestly think Reno should be 7 mana instead of 6 for this very reason. Its one of the craziest 10-mana turn combos in the game. Of course, you are still at risk of running out of cards and can definitely still lose.

I've beaten double reno before. But ancient brewmaster? There is a 2 mana brewmaster as well. Also manic soulcaster.

inky

Are they still planning on tuning each card rate individually?

Don't forget to ask them about that replay feature :D

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just played a golden paladin who was playing some sort of control crap. But he ran Boulderfist ogre.

I refuse to believe anybody got to a golden portrait without getting the cards to replace a Boulderfist ogre.

I dont know what happened between this season and last, but I am finding it hard to climb the Wild ladder this time around (even with scummy decks). I am noticing so many gold portraits (currently at Rank 11). I guess a lot of people took late December off Hearthstone (when I played Wild most last season).

Don't force me to put in massive thought into getting my 500 dust at Rank 5, dammit Brode!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Exactly, it's just going to be the typical vague non-answers.
To be fair anything they say is met with anger.
It's hard to talk about specifics during development.

wiibomb

Aggro shaman is disgusting with the new MSG tools, had my opponent at 16 on turn 3

I just played a golden paladin who was playing some sort of control crap. But he ran Boulderfist ogre.

I refuse to believe anybody got to a golden portrait without getting the cards to replace a Boulderfist ogre.

I just ran a golden priest who had senjin Shieldmasta... I don't get it either.

I'M supposed to be the one running the shitty cards here.

Aggro shaman is disgusting with the new MSG tools, had my opponent at 16 on turn 3

I just ran a golden priest who had senjin Shieldmasta... I don't get it either.

I'M supposed to be the one running the shitty cards here.

There is nothing wrong with a tazdingo in priest, unless he is running dragon priest in that case maybe a little overkill on the taunts. But tazdingo is sometimes included in reno priest.

I can't explain the boulderfist. Maybe experimenting.

STB into FWA to kill my coined shieldbot into Southsea deckhand to pop my Noble Sacrifice and kill my 2/3 secret Keeper with the FWA but not before making a 5/3 for 2 is not a reasonable draw to beat.

Nor is having both swipes, aviana, kun, alex and malygos in the top 15 cards, 3 games in a row beaten by pretty much nut draws feels bad. Combo druid killed me on turn 8, edit: blown out by turn 4 followed by turn 5 fan of knives the next game for 4 games in a row where my opponent s seem to draw the exact combination of cards to beat my hands.

wiibomb

There is nothing wrong with a tazdingo in priest, unless he is running dragon priest in that case maybe a little overkill on the taunts. But tazdingo is sometimes included in reno priest.

I can't explain the boulderfist. Maybe experimenting.

well I had to run it in both my Dragon Priest and Reno Priest since I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't want to craft Twilight Guardian, but I would think very differently of a person who has a golden hero portrait... it is weird

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Man tempo mage is actually quite good in the lower ranks. You get people misplaying like crazy assuming you are Reno. Gave me multiple free wins at ranks 19-15. It's not meta breaking or anything but good to get out of the random Malchezaar ranks.

psyfi

Banned
I've been playing this game since August and I *JUST NOW* found out that you don't need a wifi connection to play it on mobile. I swear to god I read that it was required somewhere. I saw some guy playing it on the bus and I was like ??? and then I tried it out. Lmao, man. My commute is about to get a lot better.

wiibomb

I've been playing this game since August and I *JUST NOW* found out that you don't need a wifi connection to play it on mobile. I swear to god I read that it was required somewhere. I saw some guy playing it on the bus and I was like ??? and then I tried it out. Lmao, man. My commute is about to get a lot better.

wait.. you mean with mobile data plan, right? because the game requires a connection with the servers 100% of the time

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man tempo mage is actually quite good in the lower ranks. You get people misplaying like crazy assuming you are Reno. Gave me multiple free wins at ranks 19-15. It's not meta breaking or anything but good to get out of the random Malchezaar ranks.

The second I see mana wyrm I assume tempo.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
And by that time you've already made one of the most important decisions in the game, the mulligan.

Yep. That's what helped me. I played someone who kept a bunch of sub-optimal cards and I was able to punish it. Getting someone to mulligan one way and playing a different deck is one of the biggest advantages you can get on ladder. You can totally hose a control deck if they think you are also playing control. Then you play beatdown and they are in a world of pain.

Tempo Mage is pretty versatile. I've beaten Pirate Warrior with Mirror Images, Reno decks with burn, and Aggro Shaman with Flamestrike. It does require godly draws and good RNG, but what deck doesn't?

Players who hang onto Ooze for Medivh are annoying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom