• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlet

This Brawl is good for crazy combos. Doomhammer and Naga Corsair for all the damage.

Was someone asking for a Pirate Warrior deck?

Me!

Tbh I'm having bad luck playing PW. Sometimes I had no weapon until late turn or got patches in my hand.

Playing aggro shaman now.

Is dragon pirate warrior more realiable than PW?

Me!

Tbh I'm having bad luck playing PW. Sometimes I had no weapon until late turn or got patches in my hand.

Playing aggro shaman now.

Is dragon pirate warrior more realiable than PW?
That should be the Patches nerf. 50% chance to get Patches in your mulligan and 50% chance for him to be your first draw.

Actually I think this is already the case. It's happened in 3/5 of my last games.

Hmm, got enough dust for a legendary...

I've already gotten Raza, White Eyes, Patches, Kazakus and Aya. Anything else from this expansion that people think is worth getting or should I just start saving for the next one?

I could also go back to Classic but I have all the legendaries that see use aside from Malygos. The Old Gods is getting rotated out this spring too right?

cHinzo

Hmm, got enough dust for a legendary...

I've already gotten Raza, White Eyes, Patches, Kazakus and Aya. Anything else from this expansion that people think is worth getting or should I just start saving for the next one?

I could also go back to Classic but I have all the legendaries that see use aside from Malygos. The Old Gods is getting rotated out this spring too right?

Nah, Blackrock Mountain, The Grand Tournament and League of Explorers will rotate out when a new expansion drops.

Dahbomb

What prenerf cards probably wouldn't even be played these days?

I feel like Nat Pagle might not be.

Hunter's mark?
Master of Disguise is the obvious one. There would be some gimmick decks with it like Master of Disguise and Scaled Nightmare but generally regular Miracoli does similar things but better.

Pre-nerf Charge mostly because that deck would not survive the onslaught of Pirate decks and is far less relevant than even Control Warrior.

Flare is another one especially with Hunter being bad in the meta at the moment and Secret decks not being prevalent in Standard. Good in Wild though.

Nah, Blackrock Mountain, The Grand Tournament and League of Explorers will rotate out when a new expansion drops.

Oh that's actually super great then, I have no class legendaries from the Old Gods expansion. Oh man, too many choices now. Probably get Fandral or Light Ragnaros....

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Master of Disguise is the obvious one. There would be some gimmick decks with it like Master of Disguise and Scaled Nightmare but generally regular Miracoli does similar things but better.

Questing Adventurer made a comeback in Miracle Rogue, and tossing in Master of Disguise with your Questing Adventurer in a miracle deck was actually kind of legit.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
What prenerf cards probably wouldn't even be played these days?

I feel like Nat Pagle might not be.

Hunter's mark?

I think pre-nerf BGH wouldn't see much play these days in the fast meta. Though it might make the prevalence of the 4 7/7 in aggro shaman drop a bunch.

I wonder if making Shattered Sun Cleric back into a 3/3 would be enough to make Zoo good again? I suspect that it wouldn't. Though a card like that might be good enough to make Goon decks able to hold off some of the aggro stuff. Though as a neutral the pirates would all run it too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dirty ratting out a Majordomo against a Prince Malch control warrior that is going to destroy you in fatigue os the funniest thing.

People call reynad just salty when he accuses someone of ghosting.

.eJwFwdsNwyAMAMBdGAAnJg872yCCTKqkRtj9qrp7777hM-5whObe7QA4Lys6zmiuI0uNoip3zf2yWPSB7J5Le-rbDeZ92pDWOe3EPCEtDLgRY8IFcWVOnBKBNDWvI766hN8fCRgi3g.X4EPk4QmjGladFnRbFNf_pwZXMs

scarlet

Ranked 12th!

It's silly, but I'm actually so happy. My highest since playing from April and not playing much around July-October.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not sure the brawl secondary choices are random. Every time I've picked Mage thus far, Warrior has been an option. I've been doing pretty good with that combo.

Fun fact: since Kazakus counts for 3 classes, you can work on your "Play 50 Mage Cards" quest while being a Warlock.

I'm not sure the brawl secondary choices are random. Every time I've picked Mage thus far, Warrior has been an option. I've been doing pretty good with that combo.

I didn't get Warrior my first time - they're random.

Blizzard

Banned
Fun fact: since Kazakus counts for 3 classes, you can work on your "Play 50 Mage Cards" quest while being a Warlock.

I didn't get Warrior my first time - they're random.
Right after I posted that, I didn't get Warrior for the first time in about 6 brawls. :(

*edit* I've lost like 5 in a row picking Hunter as the primary class. I WILL prove it's theoretically possible to win a brawl with it.
*edit2* I did it! It only took about an hour.

fertygo

Pre-nerf Charge mostly because that deck would not survive the onslaught of Pirate decks and is far less relevant than even Control Warrior.

Flare is another one especially with Hunter being bad in the meta at the moment and Secret decks not being prevalent in Standard. Good in Wild though.

err the armorsmith version of worgen OTK deck will slay the patches deck

JoeMartin

People call reynad just salty when he accuses someone of ghosting.

.eJwFwdsNwyAMAMBdGAAnJg872yCCTKqkRtj9qrp7777hM-5whObe7QA4Lys6zmiuI0uNoip3zf2yWPSB7J5Le-rbDeZ92pDWOe3EPCEtDLgRY8IFcWVOnBKBNDWvI766hN8fCRgi3g.X4EPk4QmjGladFnRbFNf_pwZXMs

Nine times out of ten he accuses people of ghosting when they make completely resonable responses to absurdly obvious telegraphs. Of course he left me at 14 health, he's ghosting so he knows I have a mortal strike in hand. <<had two cards in hand, only played a single 2 mana card with 10 mana>> Yeah, okay man.

Pooya

small time buccaneer nerf is pretty much happening.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/12/hearthstone-small-time-buccaneer-has-already-been-nerfed
Mike Donais: Yeah, I would say the meta is pretty healthy right now in a lot of ways, but the card that I'm most worried about is Small-Time Buccaneer. That’d be the card I'm watching most closely. All of the other really good decks, the ones that don't have Small-Time Buccaneer, they all lose something in rotation, so they'll change significantly on their own. The Small-Time Buccaneer decks will change less. They don't lose quite as much.

please nerf patches too.... I have 3...

sounds like pre made decks for sale are on their radar too.

Dahbomb

Shadowverse already beat them to the pre-made decks thing.

I don't know how good those decks are but if Blizzard plans to just sell those bad deck recipes for cash then well... lul!

PPP getting the nerf... shocking stuff.

One of the things that has been happening is there's a huge variety of decks and classes at similar win-rates to each other, which is probably the flattest meta we've seen for Hearthstone since launch. A whole bunch of decks right in the 50 to 52% range, a whole bunch of different classes. It's really wonderful to see those numbers
They said this right around the time Shaman was on top so not gonna put much stock into this.

One of his iterations was he was a 1 mana 1/2 and whenever you equip a weapon, he gained +2 attack for the rest of the game.
Ayy lmao!

As in the card kept gaining plus 2 every time you equipped a weapon making it broken in Rogue. Supreme power creep over Lowly Squire.

Blizzard

Banned
They said this right around the time Shaman was on top so not gonna put much stock into this.
I'm confused by this. Were they lying about statistics (and players could prove them wrong)?

Or are you suggesting their interpretation of statistics was flawed despite winrates?

Dahbomb

They might make Bucaneer get +1 weapon and that will not be enough to stop the PPP. People will just get the double Southsea going.

I'm confused by this. Were they lying about statistics (and players could prove them wrong)?

Or are you suggesting their interpretation of statistics was flawed despite winrates?
They sugar coat the stats or don't reveal enough of the data.

Shaman was clearly a dominant class back then and the meta was NOT healthy but Blizzard was trying to play it off like the meta had never been better. Blizzard always had this "meta is great, so much deck variety, great match up charts!" PR statement when it's not actually true.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
He was a really borderline decision for us, but in the end, we decided – hey, people have been trying Pirate decks for a while and not succeeding. It's been cool when people get to live out their fantasies of, "Let me play Pirates and actually win some games."

I dunno man

Pooya

how you even nerf buccaneer? I hope they just remove the pirate tag, that's the best way to nerf it.... I think the card is fine honestly. Lots of good answers to 3/2s, Patches isn't.

They probably make it a 1/1 or something unplayable like that.

Rogue can use other pirates, deckhand is actually really good in rogue and the only class that played it for the longest time, through miracle and oil in a lot of lists. It's not going to erase PPP if they only nerf STB.

Dahbomb

If it's a 1 mana card that has some stats and Pirate tag then it will still get played because of Patches.

Statistically Midrange Shaman was close to the most broken deck in HS Undertaker in the Karazhan meta. Top 4 most broken decks in HS on Ladder have been Undertaker Hunter, Combo Druid, Midrange Shaman and Secret Paladin. Grim Patron Warrior was probably broken at Legend ranks but at lower ranks it was terrible.

Seems like Blizzard is implying that collectively the Pirates deck make a massive portion of the meta. "Tall stack" in fact though that should be shocking to no one.

squidyj

They might make Bucaneer get +1 weapon and that will not be enough to stop the PPP. People will just get the double Southsea going.

Shaman was clearly a dominant class back then and the meta was NOT healthy but Blizzard was trying to play it off like the meta had never been better. Blizzard always had this "meta is great, so much deck variety, great match up charts!" PR statement when it's not actually true.

i wouldn't trust the hearthstone community to tell me that the sky is blue though so...

Blizzard

Banned
How can this be proven though? Blizzard presumably has more data than anyone. Maybe their internal data was different from the data on the people who used tracking sites, but those sites are only a subset of the full data.

On another topic, as a new player it's sad to find out about things that have become impossible. I almost got a deck built to try a OTK Warrior setup since I have Raging Worgen, only to discover that the combo has been permanently removed by the Charge change. :(

Dahbomb

How can this be proven though? Blizzard presumably has more data than anyone. Maybe their internal data was different from the data on the people who used tracking sites, but those sites are only a subset of the full data.

On another topic, as a new player it's sad to find out about things that have become impossible. I almost got a deck built to try a OTK Warrior setup since I have Raging Worgen, only to discover that the combo has been permanently removed by the Charge change. :(
Prove what? Shaman dominated tournaments, ladder and even their Heroic Brawl. We have good enough stats for these where we can extrapolate a conclusion from especially the tournament stats which are completely open.

The main point of contention was whether Midrange Shaman was at the level of dominance of Undertake Hunter and Combo Druid. Blizzard for the first time actually gave out hard statistics on those two decks l. Undertaker Hunter was the most common deck on Ladder and Combo Druid at one point in time had the highest winrate in HS. Midrange Shaman was close to both those numbers.

Mind you we are talking about a deck in Standard AFTER that class got a bunch of its cards nerfed versus two decks that were essentially erased from existence due to card nerfs.

Whether this is "healthy" for the game or not is a separate issue. Midrange Shaman didn't have lopsided match ups like Freeze Mage did, there weren't many auto win games for that deck nor many auto lose. It's very different from what we have now (where we have a bunch of decks with close win rates but more polarized match ups) but Blizzard is calling this healthy too.

Metas are only an issue after the fact. Old Gods was fine for Blizzard until they were forced to nerf a bunch of cards like Yogg and CotW.

jgminto

I think it would be a shame for them to nerf Small Time Buccaneer's stats, it's a good early minion and it only feels bad when dropped on turn 1 if you see it start to slide and that cannon appear. 2/2 is vanilla stats for a one drop at this point so turning it into a subpar card just because of Patches would be really disappointing.

fertygo

Nerfing Bucaneer instead Patches is really wrong direction

Patches turn N'zoth first mate into t1 muster for battle, its broken

Without Patches, STB can removed one for one with a lot of card, and can't kill doomsayer by its own

So pls blizzard at least Patch Patches too

ZealousD

Blizzard has a hard-on for Patches. Before MSG came out they always talked about how for many team members it was their favorite card and how hard they worked to put it in the game. So I guess they'd rather just nerf STB instead even if he's less a problem.

If they nerf STB before rotation, Rogue will probably just replace STB with regular Buccaneer and nothing will change for them. Pirate warrior will continue to be a thing because N'Zoth's First Mate and Southsea Deckhand are good enough by themselves, they'll just toss in some other early drops. I guess Shaman will drop the package but that'll be it.

Dragonite

Banned
Wow, I had patches all this time, I think I got it in my first pack and thought it looked stupid and forgot about it lol. I can finally make a pirate deck,the only card I'm missing is Leroy, is it worth crafting him? or should i just substitute with something else?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I actually don't want to see them nerf Patches. It's okay for aggro decks to have good legendaries too.

wiibomb

This play was posted on reddit

I absolutely adore Dirty Rat, it is amazing when played well... this player was also prepared with a devolve, not the best tech to deal with the pulls, but can work to deal with a couple difficult ones.

Overall this was amazing

ZealousD

Wow, I had patches all this time, I think I got it in my first pack and thought it looked stupid and forgot about it lol. I can finally make a pirate deck,the only card I'm missing is Leroy, is it worth crafting him? or should i just substitute with something else?

Leeroy is a solid craft. He's probably evergreen, he never really left the meta entirely even after a very significant nerf, and it's unlikely he'll be nerfed again.

Have horrible draws in MTGO get fed up switch to hearthstone, draw patches as the first card the first 2 games... My opponent goes turn 1 trogg into coin wolves. Turn 2 cannon into Southsea x2 Finley hunter. He turn 1 curse bladed against an aggro deck and I dealt 4 damage to him total...

Grief.exe

Leeroy is a solid craft. He's probably evergreen, he never really left the meta entirely even after a very significant nerf, and it's unlikely he'll be nerfed again.

The only thing that would worry me about leeroy is Blizzard are discussing some cuts to classic cards recently.

Though, I'm assuming they will give full dust refunds for classic cards rotated out. I also don't think Leeroy is necessarily on the chopping block either.

When cards are rotated out of standard do you get full dust refunds for those? I'm assuming not since that is established rotation that would also cut down on their profit margins.

ZealousD

When cards are rotated out of standard do you get full dust refunds for those? I'm assuming not since that is established rotation that would also cut down on their profit margins.

We never got full refunds on the Naxx or GvG sets so it's unlikely they'll give refunds for other cards rotated out. Rotated cards are still useful in wild and most of the constructed tavern brawls.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably just dust them then ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

Don't be a hater on Wild, Grief! Wild is actually quite fun to play in, especially at the lower ranks where people are running unrefined decks. You can try experimental crap on ladder and win!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
you know, hunter is pretty bad right now, but I don't think they need much to be viable again

hell, since the biggest problem is card draw, maybe even buffing starving buzzard would do it

dropping it down by 1 mana would probably be enough

By individual players on long-term tilt generalizing from their half-remembered anecdotal experience, obviously. That's typically the most prominent metagame analysis in HS as far as I can tell.

lol no lies detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom